Prologue

Crystal Clear

“Jaehwan!”

            Taekwoon coughed several times, the smoke that comes from the kitchen filled his lungs, making it hard to breath, and also blurred his vision. His eyes are stinging and there are tears gathered around the corner, but he didn’t care. He also knows that he’s supposed to get out and escape, but again, he didn’t care.

            He needs to find Jaehwan.

            The explosion wasn’t too great; Jaehwan still has a chance to survive, Taekwoon chanted over and over. God, please let him survive.

            “Jaehwan, are you in there? Jaehwan! Jae …”

            A clap managed to take Taekwoon out of his reveries.

            “Taek! You’ve been spacing out for five minutes, maybe more.” Jaehwan—who’s alive and well—stands in front of his best friend; flashing his usual million dollar smile. “Is something wrong? Are you sick? You seem pale … Do you want me to call a taxi for you?”

            Jaehwan sure talks a lot, Taekwoon thought.

            Taekwoon is not a party animal. No; rather than going out to parties and such, he prefers to stay at home and read or compose.

            But today is different. Today is Jaehwan’s birthday. Of course he couldn’t miss the celebration. So, as much as he hated going out and socialize, Taekwoon have to. And even though he only wallflower-ed through the event, Jaehwan still appreciate Taekwoon’s effort to attend the party.

            “If … If you don’t mind.” Taekwoon bites his bottom lip, clearly hesitant to say that; he doesn’t want to ruin Jaehwan’s happiness, but the only thing he wanted to do for now is to escape from this place.

            Before the explosion happens, he adds. But of course, he keeps it in his head.

            Jaehwan, however, seems to realize that something’s burdening Taekwoon’s mind. So he leads the slightly taller male to the couch and sits down, body turned slightly to see the other man’s face clearly.

            “Okay, tell me. What’s wrong?”

            “I …” I see explosions, Jaehwan, Taekwoon screamed inside his mind. Please get out of here. Please. “ Explosions.”

            Jaehwan’s eyes widened to the size of a saucer upon hearing Taekwoon’s words.

            Jaehwan knows about Taekwoon’s unique ability; he can see bits of events from the future. Taekwoon knows that something would happen, before it even happens. God gave him some spoilers in life, to put it simply.

            Many would be in awe, or even jealous, if they know about Taekwoon’s ability. It sounds cool, they said. Jaehwan knows better, though. He knows that Taekwoon is the type of person to live in the moment, and having to worry about the future must feel burdensome for him.

            “An explosion? Here?” Jaehwan bursts into a fit of laughter, patting his best friend on the shoulder. Taekwoon could have sworn that for a second, the man in front of him seems nervous … but that’s probably just him. “Are you sure it’s not a part of your dream, Woonie?”

            Taekwoon flinched at the nickname. More than that, he knows he might have no right to be mad over Jaehwan’s question, but he is. All this time, Jaehwan is the one who trusted him, trusted him about his abilities to foresee the future. He never doubted Taekwoon, not even once.

            Why is Jaehwan laughing at him now, out of all times?

            Taekwoon looks around rather nervously. It’s 11:37. 23 minutes to the explosion.

            “Don’t you trust me, Jaehwan? Please just listen to me,” he pleaded, his voice filled with urgency.

            Jaehwan let out a soft chuckle now, and it reassures Taekwoon somehow. But it’s not enough; he needs Jaehwan to leave this apartment with him. Now.

            “I do, Woonie. I always do,” again, he pats his friend’s shoulder; it seems to help him calm down a lot. “But I can’t walk away from this party, come on! What would they say about me if I leave? I’ll be alright, don’t worry.”

            Jaehwan laughed again and this time, it doesn’t trigger Taekwoon’s anger. Jaehwan sure has a way to calm people’s nerves down, including Taekwoon’s.

            “Whatever it is, it surely will ruin your popularity, yeah?” The dark-haired male decides to play along; he knows that Jaehwan can be really hard-headed if he wanted to. “Happy birthday. Sorry I have to leave early.”

            Jaehwan is disappointed, but he hides it well. He pulls his best friend into a bear hug and for the first time, Taekwoon didn’t complain. “It’s completely fine, I’m happy to see you here. Stay safe, yeah? Text me after you arrived.”

            Taekwoon rolled his eyes, but a small laugh escaped from his lips. Jaehwan really reminds him of his own mother sometimes. “Got it, Mom.”

            “How many times have I told you not to call me that?”

            Taekwoon, who’s already making his way to the front door, turns around and looks at Jaehwan; the two men laughs immediately. After a short while, Taekwoon waves his hand and walks out of the room, leaving Jaehwan and the party.

            11:45; just 15 minutes before the explosion.

***

"You told me you’ll be fine, what a fool.”

Soft sobs and occasional curses fill the dark room, accompanied with the sounds from the TV, which is currently airing the morning news.

Taekwoon never really watched the news. For him, the internet is enough if he wanted to know about what’s currently going on in his country. He doesn’t know what urged him to turn on the TV right after he woke up.

Well, actually, a part of him knows why; he just doesn’t want to remember.

Yesterday, as promised, he texted Jaehwan right after he arrived.

But Jaehwan never answered.                                                                   

Taekwoon brushed it off; maybe the party isn’t over yet when the text came, so he waited. An hour passed, no answer. And soon enough, an hour turned to three. Then, to six. Then, twelve hours passed; still no reply … which is unusual.

Jaehwan never kept him waiting for that long.

This morning, when Taekwoon wakes up to no reply from Jaehwan, he knows that what he saw yesterday wasn’t a part of his ‘dream’, as Jaehwan said.

No, it’s a part of his vision.

And at times like these, Taekwoon loathed himself for not being able to save his best friend, despite having the power and ability to do so. If he’d been more stubborn yesterday, Jaehwan could’ve left the apartment with him.

If he had been more stubborn, Jaehwan would’ve been alive right now.

“I’m so sorry, Jaehwan.” Taekwoon hugs his knees; a bowl of cereal on the coffee table in front of him is completely forgotten right now. “Please forgive me, Jaehwan. I’m so sorry …,”

***

[HEADLINE NEWS: 16 KILLED BY AN EXPLOSION AT STARLIGHT APARTMENT]