one

Why'd You Call Me When You're High

Colours.

Iridescent colours.

Jaehyun’s mind is filled with an array of colours.

Colours, colours everywhere. So vibrant, so beautiful, so breathtaking.

These colours dance, according to Jaehyun, as they flash across his eyes in the speed of light. Jaehyun reaches to catch them, but to no avail, and sinks back in his seat, his long forgotten drink spilled all over the expensive-looking settee.

Jaehyun thinks he’s almighty, like he has superpowers. The colours seem to stop whenever he murmurs, and waltzes whenever he speaks. At this rate, Jaehyun will have thought he controlled all colours in the world.

Is this some sort of sorcery? Jaehyun muses.

Probably. Maybe.

He looks around, and scrunches up his nose, the strong stench of alcohol fills his nostrils. He’s the only sober one, well that’s what he assumes, in his head.

In reality, he’s just too spent.

On the other hand, his poor, poor friends are already lying on the dirty floor, pupils looked completely blown, totally wasted, at least to Jaehyun.

He stands up, stumbling to his left, then to his right, before straightening his back, collecting all energy left in his mortal body to the washroom.

But really, Jaehyun doesn’t have to try so hard to act as if he’s sober. He’s as equally wasted as his mates.

Jaehyun looks at himself in the mirror, and he sees images of himself, multiples of it.

He laughs, wondering how wasted he is, to be seeing all these images himself, and he swears one of the images is talking to him, too.

And there he sees.

Taeyong in the mirror, kissing one of his images.

He quickly rinses his face with cold, cold water, but it seems as if the images won’t go away. This time, they are flickering. It may have been in his mind, but Jaehyun stands firm on his ground, it must be some goddamned mates of his whom must have been playing with the ing lights, Jaehyun takes note mentally.

He will totally kick whoever it is in his arse once he sobers up.

After what seems like an arduous trip from the restroom, Jaehyun slumps back in his seat, this time, fishing out his cellphone from his pocket, all the read messages left not replied.

But he types anyway.

His fingers find its way to a familiar contact.

A contact he hasn’t laid a finger on for weeks.

His fingers are on auto-pilot, but it’s great, Jaehyun thinks, at least he needn’t think of something reasonable. Because he’s ing high, so ing drunk right now, right at that moment.

 

To Taeyong, 3:03AM

You up?

 

Jaehyun shuts his eyes, and pinches his nose bridge. A distraught expression evident on his face.

Because he knows he shouldn’t be bothering him at this ungodly hours of the day.

Because he knows he should go home right now before downing another drink.

Because he knows he will go back there no matter what, no matter how the elder tells him not to anymore.

Because he knows he should respect the elder’s decision.

But all these common sense be damned. A wasted Jaehyun knows none.

And Jaehyun laughs, to himself.

He looks up, now at the clock before realising the minute and the second hands are spiraling backwards, sometimes waltzing. It is as if a frown is formed. It reflects the frown on his face, Jaehyun thinks.

A buzz is felt in his pocket, and Jaehyun needn’t take a glance of the contact to know who it is.

 

From Taeyong, 3:15AM

What do you want from me?

 

Jaehyun an inquisitive brow.

What does he want from him?

They both know the answer very well, yet Jaehyun types out a reply effortlessly. This time though, he isn’t really hoping for a reply from the elder.

 

To Taeyong, 3:16AM

You.

 

Jaehyun wades through the pile of limp bodies, which he refers to as his friends, and manages to peel off a bottle of booze out of his mate’s death grip, downing the liquor till it’s dry.

Jaehyun walks around, in search of his leather jacket and briefly glances at the clock hanging on the wall. It shows 3:40AM.

No messages.

Nothing.

Jaehyun retrieves his leather jacket, which is found at the counter, and he doesn’t even remember setting it in the kitchen.

Must be one of those girls’ doing, Jaehyun concludes.

He pulls out his phone once again, and hastily types out another message.

 

To Taeyong, 3:44AM

Why no reply?

 

Jaehyun leaves the room, leaves the house.

There is only one destination in his mind, and so Jaehyun lets his feet to find their way to where he calls, home.

There it goes again, another incoming message, and Jaehyun reads it aloud, in the streets with no living soul other than him. Darkness swallowing the street before him as the last flickering lamppost goes off.

 

From Taeyong, 3:57AM

Where are you?

 

Trying to get into your heart, that’s what Jaehyun manages to think, with all the haze clouding his mind, especially when he walks into a stranger in the back alley, ing someone from the back.

And when Jaehyun takes another closer look at them, he realises it is Taeyong.

His Lee Taeyong.

Being slammed in the wall, being pounded into, mercilessly.

Jaehyun shakes his head, and rubs his eyes.

Taeyong is gone.

off, prick, follows next, and Jaehyun can only walk away, still stunned.

That little thing must be so strong that even now, he sees Taeyong, Jaehyun figures.

 

To Taeyong, 4:05AM

I need to see you.

 

And there Taeyong is again, being ed on the counter, by another stranger, and Jaehyun witnesses it through a transparent window belonged to a restaurant.

Jaehyun halts, and takes a good look at the stranger.

He was only looking at the kebab upon completion.

Jaehyun laughs to himself.

How pathetic of me.

And Jaehyun thinks he’s getting more and more desperate as time passes.

 

To Taeyong, 4:09AM

I’m coming over to your place.

 

Jaehyun stops in his track as a taxi swooshes by, taking a sharp turn at the corner. Poor Jaehyun is taken aback.

There it is again, Taeyong in that taxi, bending down, a around his lips, his expression obscene to even imagine it.

And Jaehyun swears he will lose it, lose his mind at that moment.

Those pretty lips around someone’s .

That pair of lips he used to kiss.

The image of Taeyong dissipates into thin air, along with the darkness that blankets the city.

 

To Taeyong, 4:20AM

I miss you. I’m reaching soon.

 

Jaehyun crosses the road, and fidgets at the doorstep, thinking he should’ve brought beers, or flowers. His pathetic being alone will not suffice, he thinks.

And so he knocks on the door after hesitating for a good five minutes.

 

To Taeyong, 4:32AM

I’m here, open the door.

 

The lights are on, Jaehyun can see from the outside, and he lies limply on the door with his eyes closed. He knows he’s home now.

A curious lady peers from the heavy curtains before turning the lights off again and returning to her bed. The young man by her door creeps her out, yet nonetheless, she chooses to wave it off.

After all, to her, it’s some drunkard by her doorstep.

 

 

Taeyong picks up his phone, several missed calls stated on the screen, along with a few unread messages.

He shakes his head and looks out the window, his eyes blindly searching for the silhouette of the younger.

And his gaze lands on this particular figure across the street, sleeping at the doorstep of his neighbour.

A familiar figure.

Jung Jaehyun.

It isn’t that hard for Taeyong to make it out anyway.

It’s going to be a long night, Taeyong figures and lets out a long sigh, before grabbing his jacket and heading his way out.

Last time, Taeyong takes a mental note, this is going to be the last time.


A random late night inspiration.

And also, very much an AM trash, hehe.