We are one

startling with each step (temporary title)

Kyungsoo woke up to a rather annoying beeping noise and a familiar face that he had not seen in a long time. Why is dui zhang here? Did he not leave them without a backward glance, not even a goodbye? Not that he was bitter about it. Not at all. But…what is he doing here? What is going on? And why does his head hurt? Seriously it was like monster truck was rolling through his brain at 70 mph. What is that beeping noise that literally never stops beeping? Suddenly dui zhang spoke, but Kyungsoo cannot make out what he is saying. “Soo…Kyungsoo….D.O….Jingxiu” dui zhang seemed to be speaking in hazy fragments Kyungsoo tried to piece together. Why is diu zhang waving his huge hand in my face? Im not blind.  Kyungsoo makes a move to grab at it and misses. Why does his hand and arm feel like liquid? Why is there so many strange tubes and wires attached to his arms? Why, why, WHY?

 

Suddenly the taller male look really worried. ‘Why are you frowning’ Kyungsoo wanted to ask. But instead the other male spoke over him, asking “are you ok?” Kyungsoo out opened his mouth to say he was fine but it took him all of 30 seconds to realize no sound came out. His throat is dry like the desert. It was then that he felt something cold and small, icy and smooth on his tongue, melted in his mouth and trickling down his throat like plants taking water on a hot day.

 

Dui zhang wave his hand in his face again. Kyungsoo let out a distorted almost silent giggle, making another attempt at grabbing it, and this time succeeding. With a smile, Kyungsoo begin playing with the hand, something solid in an otherwise hazy world.  Dui zhang… he sighed…. I miss you and your angry bird eyebrows.

 

****************

 

Earlier in the day

 

Kris was dozing on and off in an uncomfortable hospital chair that is made for someone much smaller than him and his lengthy limbs.  Huffing out in frustration, a chair make for sitting not sleeping, he supposed. You think hospitals might have learned by now. Still, it will have to make do until Kyungsoo wakes up from his… sleep. No, he should call it what it really is, coma. His medically induced coma. Thank god that it is him sleeping in this uncomfortable chair and not Jongin or Yixing. Both of their backs were bad enough as it is after performing, there was clearly no need to make it worse. And yet, when Jongin’s face floats into his mind, Kris doesn't know what to do.

 

He was at a high point in his career, and at a loss as a leader. More prominent than anything he felt like he had failed at protecting s.  It was then that he felt someone place a, or at least what he think is a coat over him. Looking up to see the face of his would be savior he is greeted by his fellow co- leader. The one man that everyone says is some sort of oddly masculine (and rather good looking if he did say so himself) mother of this crazy group of boys.

 

Suho silently turned the handle on the door. Shimmying himself through the tiny opening, a silver of a gap really, but just wide enough for him to slip in undetected and silent. He did not want to disturb the sleeping giant that is currently sitting in a way too small chair. The only time the other male even looks at rest is when he is caught sleeping and unaware. Suho stares at him fondly, unable to help himself.

Taking Kris’s discarded jacket in his hand, he laid it on top of him. It was only after he’d finished his task that Suho found himself staring into pair of blood shot eyes when he glanced upward.  “Sorry, I did not mean to wake you.” Suho told the once sleeping mass of a man.

“You didn’t. Was just dozing is all….” Kris said gruffly, kicking out his legs and running a hand through his hair as if that would shake away the remnants of sleep.

‘‘How is Kyungsoo doing?’’Suho worried his bottom lip between his teeth

“Well, doctors say Soo is no longer in a medically induce coma, he should be waking up sometime between today and tomorrow.”

At this Suho batted Kris’ own hands away to comb his fingers through the other male’s hair.

“Have you eaten today, hydrated, or go out to get some fresh air?”

 ‘‘I went to the hospital canteen, to get coffee and food. I want to be right here, in this very spot, just in case Kyungsoo wakes up.’’  Kris let out a sigh of irritation, knowing better than to comment on Suho’s nagging. Sometimes Suho sounds so much like his wife is not even funny. If he were honest though, Kris didn't hate it, in fact he maybe sort of secretly loved it. He can only hope one day his wife is as beautiful as gentle and as sweet as Kim Junmyeon. Then he would truly consider himself a one lucky man. Unlikely though that God would place to such angels on Earth. So he’d have to deal.

He grabbed Suho by the wrist and gave it tug. Surprise, Suho merely peered down at him and gave him a knowing and gentle smile.

“Ya, Wu Yifan, you are such a big baby sometimes, I swear. I cannot believe that our company gave you the cold city guy image. I think it have gone to your head.”  Sitting down on the taller male’s lap, he felt Kris wrap his arm around his waist and buried his head into his shoulder. Suho tried to control his breathing, which he managed with more than a little effort. Suho leaned back on Kris’ chest.

“Comfy?” Suho murmured his question softly.

“Yes.” The other male’s answer muffled by the soft fluffy fabric of Suho’s sweater

“You smell really nice. What did you use?”

“Not telling you.”

‘‘Come on…’’

‘‘Okay, how about this, I will tell you if you answer MY question.’’

‘‘Fine.’’

Kris let out a sigh, wondering where this was going. Suho hated having to ask the questions, but he has to know, has to hear Kris answer.

“Jiaheng” Suho feels Kris tense up for a second before finally relaxing. “What if Kyungsoo never wakes up from his medically induce coma, but instead falls into… a real coma?”

Kris waits for Suho finish gathering his thoughts. “What are we going to tell Jongin?”

At this Kris simply hugged Suho tighter. ‘‘I don't know, mianmian. Seriously, I really don't know. It’s bad enough, that Jongin already blames himself for what happened. ’’ Kris nuzzles his face back into Suho’s sweater. He’s not sure but he thought heard Suho softly say ‘but is not his fault’.

‘‘Mianmian, seriously though, you smell really amazing.’’ It was then he felt the sharp jab of an elbow into his ribs.

“Ouch! Ya, that hurt.” whined Kris.

“Yeah, well, that’s what you get for trying to change the subject.”

Kris let out a sigh. ‘‘We better pray for Jongin’s sanity and let us hope he won't do anything stupid.’’

‘‘Is that all we can really do?’’ Suho asked. Instead of answering, Kris nodded his head solemnly.

“Mianmian…”

“Yes?”

“We all know it wasn’t his fault, even Jongin knows that, logically speaking. However, it does not stop Jongin from blaming himself each day Kyungsoo does not wake up. Or for what happened. Emotions are….kind of funny that way I guess. ”

Suho will never forget that day, the day that left a company in scandal and under investigation. A scandal that left 2 artists in a medically induced coma due to severe head injury. Countless others with minor to critical injuries.  Not to mention, all the therapy for the shell shocked artists. Most worrisome of all is, that all the artist contracts and renewals were up in the air. The rumor mill and speculation is spreading like wildfire and they were powerless to stop it. Like that current rumor that contract label-mate Shinee is in negotiations with JYP entertainment.  But Exo….Exo’s future is unsure.  

They have survived so many setbacks, rumors that a member is leaving countless of times, sasaengs following them 24/7, 365 days a week. This left little to no personal time or privacy for each other or for their families. They stuck together; changing numbers after numbers, so that for a brief moment in time that they have an illusion that this will be the last. Even if that illusion is shatter in less than 24 hrs later, they still hung on. To their fans, and to each other.

Even with three members on hiatus from the group, which left a gaping hole in the heart of their fandom, and only nine active members. They survived. They are Exo. They had been breaking records left and right. Even creating new records and breaking them, with each comeback. They’d won numerous amounts of awards, both solo and together. It does not matter if they are nine or twelve. They will survive this round of rumor and speculation. They will come back stronger than ever and they are staying together no matter what the rumor mill say or how crazy the speculation get. Because when Exo is together, nothing can stop them. That was what Suho clung to. For now and for always.