Goodbyes and Hellos

Monday Couple: Inescapable Fate

Gary looked at the woman sitting across from him. It was his first date in years, thanks to his long-held hope that Jihyo would eventually come around. He had used all his time on and off the show trying to persuade her to give them a chance, but she always had an excuse ready.

"Oppa, you only feel this way because the show made us into the Monday Couple." My feelings are real.

"If we did date, our private life would be broadcast on the show for everyone to see." I would quit the show if it meant dating you.

"Then if we broke up, the show would suffer as well." If I had you, I could never be stupid enough to let you go.

"Oppa, we're just better as friends." Arasso, I'll do anything that means keeping you in my life. Even if it means watching you find your happiness from the sidelines

She never seemed to realize how much her words hurt. Maybe because he would always just stand there with his goofy grin, acting like her brush-off didn't bother him. She may have been the actress, but Gary was good at hiding his pain from her. He only dared to answer her excuses in his mind, wishing that she could read his reply in his eyes.

So many times, when he had been about to give up, she would show him a sign, and he would be back to following her with loyal devotion. When she let him hold her hand, when she seemed a bit jealous of a female guest, when she smiled that special smile right at him. But one day he woke up and realized that he had been pursuing her for over six years, perhaps unwilling to face the truth. She really only saw him as a close friend, and all those bits of hope she dropped were for the sake of the viewers who still cheered on the Monday Couple. He wasn't getting any younger, and it was time for him to look for his own happiness elsewhere. Focusing on his career seemed to be an easier move and a good reason for leaving the show. 

He still remembered her face when he let her know his decision.


Her eyebrows shot up, and she was too shocked to say anything for a few seconds. Then she mumbled quietly, "Oppa, it isn't because of me, is it?" 

Gary had forced a laugh, ruffling her hair as though she were a younger sibling. "Ah, Jihyo, you do know that not everything is about you, right? I just want to focus more on my music. Don't you want to focus more on acting?"

Jihyo ignored his question, staring at his wide grin. "How can you be laughing right now? You just told me that you're breaking up a family that has been together for over six years. Don't you feel sad at all?"

Gary's expression turned apologetic. "Jihyo, of course I do. Joesonghaeyo --"

"For choosing your career over your friends? You should be." Then she turned and stalked off before he could get another word in.

He thought she might be angry at him forever, but then a day before the filming of his last episode, she had texted him: "Oppa, mianhae for what I said earlier. I was just surprised and said the first thing that came to me. I want you to pursue your dreams. Fighting!"

She had cried in his last episode. He'd be lying to himself if he said he hadn't hoped his leaving the show might reveal some romantic feelings she had for him, but when she visited him a week later, she had already been all smiles. 

I guess she didn't miss me as much as I missed her.


"Gary oppa?"

Gary blinked, refocusing on the rising actress in front of him. A mutual friend had helped him set up a date. She was definitely pretty, but he couldn't help noticing that he felt no emotions, only an appreciation of her beauty. Aish, feelings will come with time. Get to know her first, he scolded himself. His heart piped up, But you knew the moment you saw Jihyo that she was the one for you. You loved her the first time you set eyes on her

Banishing his thoughts, he smiled at his date. "Neh."

She giggled. "Oppa, I just asked you the same question twice already. You're acting a bit mong today."

Gary stiffened at the reminder of her, then forced himself to relax. "Ah, chincha? Mianhae. I guess I haven't been getting enough sleep lately. Ask me again. I promise I'll listen this time."

"What new songs have you been writing lately?"

"I'm working on a few --" Gary paused as he spotted the back of a familiar head in the corner of the restaurant. His eyes narrowed and his heart sank as her date bent over to kiss her. 

"Gary oppa, you look tense." His date -- her name now somehow slipped his mind -- gestured to his tightened fists. The girl he had been watching from far away turned her head to receive the kiss on her cheek, and Gary exhaled. It wasn't her. Just someone who had a similar hairstyle. 

Gary apologized profusely and restarted the conversation. The date finally started to go somewhere, and by the time their food arrived, Gary felt himself enjoying the company. He was far from over Jihyo, but he knew this was a step in the right direction. Halfway through the meal, his phone began to ring. "Mianhae, I should have turned this off before coming." He quickly glanced at his phone, preparing to shut off the device, yet he froze at the name upon the screen. Mong Ji calling... He hesitated for a second, looking up at his date's expectant face. "Ai, mianhae. This call is important. Is it okay if I --" He was already out of his seat and heading towards a secluded corner before she could respond. 

"Jihyo, what's up?" Gary inwardly chastised himself for being unable to resist her. 

There was a pause before her voice came through the line. "Oppa..."

Immediately sensing something wrong in her voice, Gary was suddenly alert. "What's wrong? Jihyo?"

"Are you busy right now?"

"Jihyo, just tell me what's wrong."

"I'm scared, oppa."

His heart constricted at the break in her voice. He was beginning to panic. "Where are you?"

"At my house... I think someone broke in..."

"Get out of there and find somewhere public and safe!"

"Ani, I think the robber already left."

Gary could tell that Jihyo was trying to sound brave. "I'm serious. Please, go to the cafe closest to your house. I'll meet you there."

"Arasso."

"I'll be there soon." Gary prepared to hang up.

"Wait --"

"Neh?"

"Oppa, komawo."

Gary smiled slightly, then rushed back to his table. Apologizing to his date once again but citing an emergency, he was soon on his way to Jihyo.