CHAPTER ONE: enjoy life ; nathan hwang

viewpoint on life ;

PART ONE : SPRING

 

     I want to succeed, truthfully. That’s why I am writing this book, right? I want people to see me as someone who can do it instead of letting the world revolve around him. There’s one problem. I hate people. They are aggravating and a waste of my time, wasting money on stupid technology that we really don’t need. I want to show the world that I CAN WRITE THIS BOOK AND FINISH IT REALLY QUICK. How though?

     Well, nice to meet you. I’m Nathan. Nathan Hwang. Not Huang, Hwang. I am a Korean-American born boy. I have large eyes, like a deer. I have a V-line face with a wide smile. I have pale skin. I am not particularly the smartest, but I can use my brain better than yours probably. I was born on the eighteenth of December. I am eighteen as well. I have two baby siblings, and a mom and a dad. They’re both fully Korean, but since I was born here I am basically “American” as well. I am allergic to the sun, grass, pollen, and mostly everything else outside. So I never leave the house. I mean never. I think it’s been almost 12 years since I have. My parents never knew why my skin peeled off whenever they took my outside and I wailed until they took me back. Then they took me to a doctor when I was six. There they found out I am a living vampire. It’s okay, they still love me. One dang day they decided to have another two kids. Who don’t look like me or talk like me. Suhyun and Junsung. Great. I still love them too.

     I have dark hair, messy. It’s black. Maybe even some shades of brown because of my mom's brown hair. I look like her. I don't act like her. She's an outside person. Both of my parents are. So is Suhyun and Junsung. Here I am. I think I can't succeed. I believe I can write this book. In this spring, in the summer, until the fall comes. Gosh, what am I saying? I should actually get to the work I've never decided to do. I took out my laptop and opened it, looking for Google Docs. I opened the application, making a new page. Slipping in my headphones, I hummed to the tune of the song. I stopped as my bed dipped in. Someone sat on me. On my lower region. And it hurt. I yelped as I looked to see Junsung smiling at me with his doe eyes and he pulled at his ears, scratching them. I gave him my ‘ why are you here leave ‘ look and he got up before running away. I chuckled and sat up, scratching my stomach beginning to type my essay. “Hello-” No. “I am Nath-” No. Groaning, I closed the laptop and opened my window. It was dark.

     I placed my arm out of the window, feeling the rain. It didn't burn. In all of my time living my eighteen years of life, I did not feel burned. I did not feel the sting all over my body by now. Instead the rain felt like kisses. It was spring, and I am not hurt. The feeling of the cool rain was all over my body and made me relax. So I decided to open my window fully, for the first time in years, and I climbed out. The rain fell so harshly, and I looked at my little siblings who watched me from a door. I smiled at them, and they ran off, going back to their beds quietly. I laid my whole body out on the roof. Ah, it felt great. To be outside, it felt great to me. I’ve never been for twelve years and I liked it. “I wish this was everyday” I whispered to myself. Because I did wish this was everyday. I wish i could go out and make friends, and walk on the beach ( I’m allergic to salt water and my skin peels if Itouch sand.), and go out to the movies.

     I want to experience those things in life that I know I’ll never see. The next morning, my mom found me sleeping on the roof, the dark clouds covering the sun. She gasped and ran over to me, shaking me. I woke up to her face worried. I sat up and swatted her hands away, climbing back into my room and sitting on the bed. She checked my hair and face, and dusted off my back before hitting my head. Her nagging began, in Korean. So I understood it all. It was all too weird though. She called me stupid eight times in one sentence. My father walked in, calling her to the kitchen and asking him to make food. She agreed, and walked out asking me to shower. I nodded my head and began to pick out my clothes. What if I had friends to trade clothes with? Is that not what people do? I shrugged my shoulders back, rolling my eyes as I picked out my usual clothing. Black on black. I saw the sun begin to come out and I shut my window, closing the blinds and curtains, then drapes. I’m Nathan Hwang, in need of a friend. Care to help?