Deliquent Dilemma

Breaking Barriers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nichkhun POV

      100%. That's what I got on my test yet again, making me smile widely. My best friend Taecyeon looked at me, disappointment painted on his face. 

      "Again? Jesus, why do you have to be so perfect? You're the reason why our curve is never high enough," he groaned, pointing at my paper. I smiled in good nature.

      "Aw come on Taec. It's not like a 90 is even bad. That's an A! You're probably smarter than most of the people in our grade. Cheer up!" I convinced him, patting him on the shoulder. The bell rung for lunch as I looked at the clock. Taecyeon looked at me expectantly but I shook my head.

      "I have to go to the guidance counselor for a few minutes to discuss my college application. I'll come out later!" I promised him, grabbing my bag and leaving the room.

      "Nichkhun, you're a brilliant student, but the only thing that's lacking in your transcript are sufficient community service hours. You just need 50 more. It's doable before the year ends," Ms.Park informed me, pointing towards her computer screen. High numbers were highlighted in green, but my 100 hours of service were highlighted in yellow. I sighed.

      "I'm sorry. I've been so caught up with academics that I haven't been able to make the time to finish up my volunteering," I honestly admitted. Ms.Park looked at me with sympathy, closing her screen. She pushed the papers on her desk to the side, folding her hands and smiling.

      "I'm well aware of that Nichkhun, and because you're such a star student, I have something special for you," she began, fishing out a piece of paper from her desk and pressing it into my hands.

      "Mr.Yoo, the teacher who teaches the remedial class for sophomores, is unfortunately on medical leave due to a car accident. Today is his first day off and the sophomores need a teacher. Everyone else is occupied and we are on a shortage of teachers. However, your grades have proven to me that you're very much capable of taking the job. As a reward, you'll receive all the community service hours you need and colleges would love to see such engaging work!" she explained, smiling brightly. However, I couldn't mask my horror. Teaching the delinquents? Anything but that, I internally groaned, having remembered some moments when I saw those brats pushing through the hallways and laughing loudly. Ms. Park must have noticed my dull expression.

      "Oh come on now Nichkhun! I know you wouldn't mix well with those kids, but in any case, it doesn't matter how well they do on tests. What matters is you being there and putting in an effort. After all, even with a normal teacher, they are too lazy," she persuaded me, pointing to the paper in my hand.

      "On that paper is the schedule you are to follow. The first class is today after school. Don't be late!" she exclaimed before hurrying out the door, mumbling something about fixing the printer. I shoved my schedule in my bag, storming out the room.

      "You what?!" Taecyeon exclaimed loudly, before covering his mouth in embarassment. I angrily bit into my store bought sandwich.

      "I have to teach those damned delinquents after school every day for 30 minutes," I repeated. Taecyeon looked at me pitifully.

      "Damn, you have it tough. But it's seriously convenient since its right here at school and you don't have to think about it. All you gotta do is rough those kids up and sit there. It's not like they are going to do work anyways. Anyways, they're just sophomores. Us seniors have superiority," he answered, trying to make me feel better. I thought about it for a while before snorting.

      "Easier said than done. I'd like to see you rough them up on school premises without getting caught," I shot back, quieting him down. We ate in silence before I ended the topic of the conversation.

      "Whatever. I guess," I said as the bell rung, signalling me to go to Biology. 

      "Tell me how it goes!" Taecyeon shouted as I ran to avoid death glares from Mr.Kim if I was late. I'm pretty sure he just hated my good grades.

      Class ended and everyone shuffled out the door, pulling their jackets over their bodies and getting ready to leave. Unlike me, I thought bitterly, dragging myself to the dreaded room 114B. My heart started beating quickly out of fear as I anticipated the torturous 30 minutes in for me. When I entered the room, I was happy to see that none of those kids were here yet to dirty the pristine room. I set my belongings underneath the table and stretched my arms, tired from the long biology lecture. The room was peaceful and the birds could be heard chirping from the slightly open window.

      "Ah I hope none of them show up at all-" But just as I was about to finish my sentence, a mob of kids banged open the door and piled in, noisily taking their seats. Immediately, without even looking up to see that their teacher wasn't even here, they took out their phones and placed their legs on the table, as if this was their own home. This one kid up front with ruffled blonde hair took out a cigarette, placing it in his mouth. My fisted hands were shaking in anger. How dare they do this in front of a senior?

      "Excuse me, but since you decided not to pay attention to your surroundings, I am your temporary teacher for your classes and I do wish that you wouldn't behave so rashly," I harshly announced. Some of them looked up from their cellular devices and blankly stared into my eyes.

      "Aren't you that senior flower boy everyone gushes over because you're a nerd? Did they tell you to help us 'get better grades'?" the blonde kid up front asked mockingly, smirking. Giggles erupted from the girls in the corner. My eye twitched in annoyance.

      "Listen, kid, don't speak so rudely to a sunbae. Take that cigarette out of your mouth, wipe that smirk off of your face, put your legs on the floor, and act in a somewhat mature manner. I'm not asking for much," I answered, ignoring his questions. "I'm here to get my community service hours and you're here so that you don't spend the rest of your life in high school." The boy got up, pointing at me and laughing, facing his classmates before turning to me with a face full of delight.

      "Yah, this guy thinks he can tell me what to do. He must have never experienced teaching us deliquents before. Even that Yoo guy lets us do whatever we want. Listen big boy, this class isn't meant for teaching. Sit there and do whatever the you want, and boom, you'll get those stupid hours you need," he answered, ordering me around. I walked around my desk, standing in front of the obstinate boy.

      "I'm not a cheater, not like you lot. I'm going to teach you, you are going to get good grades, and I'm going to mold a better image for myself, understood?" I asked, only resulting in him rolling his eyes. He's going to get it. I grabbed him by his chin, pulled the cigarette out of his mouth, and kept him in place.

      "Tell me your name so I can call your parents," I ordered him. He rolled his eyes yet again.

      "I'll give you my name so you can run away next time. The name's Zico," he snarled, pushing my hand away with ease and going back to his desk. 

      "Give me your real name," I persisted, knowing that nobody's actual name could be Zico. Is he trying to joke with me?

      "Yeah, and I said it's Zico," he replied, raising his eyebrow as if he wanted to challenge me. That's it. It was already bad enough that the other kids stopped caring about the scenario and began talking amongst their cliques about god kn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter