Once Upon a Time…

Sleeping Beauty

it has been years since that day, the live in this world stoped. She could go back to the past, but couldn’t go to the future because there isn’t future here, what kind of world that doesn’t have future?.

Our princeses, why she keep sleep like that for long time,” that the last line that said by queen, her mother. At that time, she is sleeping in a beautiful box that full of flowers wearing beautiful white dress with flower crown on my head. She is still wearing the same dress right now, she is not sleep, she is awake, but the live here keep repeatedly, start from the first scene and stop in this scene, then starting again from first scene until she can memorize everyone line from the first page until this page. She is here again in the last scene for the many time, but not really last scene because she doesn’t think it’s the last scene, it’s just stop here, there isn’t happily ever after for this world. 

*

A middle age man standing madly there, and there is a young man sitting nervously not far from him,

“Why you did that to your client?,” he asked.

“Because I know what he did is wrong, so I said that. if I continue to stand by his side, and proving that he is right when he is wrong, then I’m a bad person..and he become more bad than before,” he defensed himself.

“How did you know that he is wrong?, did he said anything to you?.”

“I can read it through his face, I know what he said that the other don’t know,” he said, the middle age man look dumbfounded,

“Then you want me to believe that?, what kind of bull is that?. Ever since the day your mother death, you became weird, don’t come to work for a month. You must forget what I said to you, right?. A lawyer must standing next to his/her client, that’s the right thing. You can leave now,” he said, the young man leave the room with an upset face,

“Then keep defense the wrong person, and keep standing in wrong road,” he said then leave the office.

*

Someone come to the mini library in the corner of an alley with a box in his hand, when he open the door someone greet him,

“Welcome,” he said, he look confused when looking at that someone who just open the door, “I think there is a big name on the wall that this is a fairytale library, are you a fan of fairytale?, at that age?,” he asked.

“Are you the one who guard this library?,” he asked a strange question. They keep looking into each other, “am I that handsome?,” he asked making him dumbfounded, he put the box on the table,

“Who are you?,” he asked him back without answer his question, “did we meet before?.”

Then the person who just come pointing at the big picture frame that place on the wall, that the family picture of the owner. Her husband, herself, and her only son, “why?, what’s wrong with that picture?,” he asked again.

“By looking at that picture, don’t you know me?,” he asked him back without giving him the right answer,

The librarian take a look at the picture and at the man who is standing in front of him,

“Are you that child?,” he asked while ponting to the library’s owner’s only son.

“Hmm..why are you so late to recognize this handsome face, are there any difference from that picture?.” is he always like this?. The librarian asked to himself in his mind, “hmm..I’m always like this,” he answered like he know what the librarian said in her mind, “I’m Jongsuk, the owner’s only son,” he said while extanding his hand, the librarian still looking at his hand, “I’m extending my hand right now, don’t you see?, don’t you know what should you do when someone extanding his hand to you?,” he look little bit upset. After minutes, he reaching his hand and say his name,

“I’m Woobin, and I’ll let you know that I’m 3 years older than you, so I hope next time you should more polite to me,” he said.

“Ha..okay, ahjussi,” he said then bowing , he turn his body to the shelfs that full of fairy tale books, “how did he know about my age, we just meet,” he said then walking toward the Korean’s fairytale shelf, he took one of the fairy tale,“the one that my mom made, Is it include in Korea’s fairytale?,” he asked.

“This shelf,” he said while touching the Korea’s fairy tale shelf, “is fairytale books that made by Korean writers, so your mother’s work include in this shelf, and for the other shelf,” there are only two shelfs here, “is fairytale book that made by foreign writers,” he explained everything to him.

“Then that shelf,” he pointing at a shelf that place in second floor,

“Those are source books, whenever your mother make a fairytale, she need those books.”

“Okay, then could you tell me where is my room?, my uncle said if I want to staying here I need a room, so where is it, my room?,” he suddenly change the subject from book to room,

“Because your uncle didn’t tell me anything about your coming, so I didn’t prepare anything. How long you’ll be here?,” he asked him back.

“A month?, I take a rest from work,” he said.

“Take a rest for a full month?, that’s great. There is two rooms in the back, one is my room and one is your mother room, but I don’t think you could use that room now because it’s very dirty, and I don’t think I can clean that room in an hour or 2 hours. So?,” he asked after long words.

“Why are you asking me?, you should be the one who find the answer…,”

“You can stay there for tonight, ” he said while ponting at the second floor, but it’s look really small there, “I clean that spot everyday, and there is a nice sofa and a small window. That’s your mother’s favorite spot,” he said.

“How long you work here?,”Jongsuk asked.

“Not that long, six months before your mother decided to end her carrier as a fairy tale writer,” he said.

“It’s already 3 years then, that’s considered long for me. Did you help my mother in drawing or….,” he asked but the sentence isn’t complete.

“Sit down please, I’ll make you a cup of warm tea before we continue our conversation,” he said then leave him to the kitchen,Jongsuk still can see him from here,

“Did this library always like this?,” he asked to himself while walking to the claw machine and open the refrigerator next to it, “are the collection still the same as 5 years ago?,” he asked again.

“It’s not the same,” someone reply it, make him surprised, “it’s your tea,” he said,Jongsuk back to his seat and drink his tea, “I’m here as librarian, or just say a guard. This library open only on weekend. Saturday and Monday, open from 9 am until 8 pm. I never tried to help your mother in drawing because I’m really bad at drawing,” he said.Jongsuk is starting to scaning that man’s body from head to toe, and he noticed it, “did you find anything while doing that?,” he asked.

“Then, you only work in weekend?,” he asked.

“Here I work in weekend, I have another job too,” he said, “and..when you’ll stop questioning me like this?, I feel really uncomfortable by it,” he said.

“Sorry, because it’s really long time since I came here, so I need to know a lot of things. Then I’ll ask something else, not about you. Do you know the ahjussi who worked here?, his name is hmm..Ryu..,” he couldn’t remember that name,

“Ryu Do Hwa ahjussi?, he left to USA since 2 years ago, after your mother died. Don’t you meet him at your mother funeral, I think he came there that day,” he said then standing, “why are you asking about him?,” he asked him.

“Because..I just found the letter that mom left for me, and she said in the letter about that Ahjussi who know something about her last fairy tale…,” he said.

“Her last fairy tale?, her own version of sleeping beauty?,” he askedJongsuk,Jongsuk nodding, “I heard that someone else created that before she made it into fairy tale book,” he said,Jongsuk still nodding, “why are you keep nodding?, finish your tea so I can wash the cup, and you can place your box here for now,” he said while take the box and putting it next to refrigerator, not long after that a man with 2 carriers come and place the carriers right in front of him, he look confused and looking atJongsuk, he want his explanation,

“Because I’ll be here in a month so these are things that I need, where should I put those carriers?,” he asked while walking to take his carriers, “I’ll put it here for now, it won’t disturb the visitors, right?,” he asked, he put the carriers next to the shelf, but Woobin take it,

“I’ll put in my room for now, don’t worry I won’t take anything from your carrier,” he said and bring the carriers to his room,Jongsuk grinning while seeing that. He is looking at the second floor, and looking at the clock, it’s 5 pm now. Woobin comeback from his room and bringing a towel,

“If you want to take a bath, the bathroom is in the back, ” he said then walking to his table,

“But..excus me. Can I get back one of carrier, my cloths still there, my shoap, shampoo, toothbrush.., ” he listed all of his belonging there,

“Ah..it’s annoying, you came without invitation and making a fuss in my place…,” he said.

“Let’s settle that first, the owner of this place is my mother, so logically this place will belong to her only son, why you called this place your place?,” he asked, Woobin couldn’t answered that and just walking to his room, “bring the blue carrier,” he said out loud, Woobin back withJongsuk’s blue carrier,Jongsuk take what he need for now and close the carrier again, “I think it’s better to place it here, right Woobin ahjussi?,” he said then smile, he run to the bathroom,

“What kind of mess is this?,” Woobin asked to himself, someone come into the library, Woobin greet him, “you just come?,” he asked after greeting.

“You have a guest, hyung?,” the child asked, “I’m waiting there for a long time,” he said while pointing at the big three near the minimarket, “I’ll read one book for today,” he said then put 10 won on the table, he is looking for the fairy tale that he want to read now, after found it, he sit on one of the chair there and start reading, Woobin smiling and walking to him and give strawberry milk for him, “I just drink that kind of milk while waiting there, could you get me another drink?,” he asked, Woobin nodding and he back with a bottle of water, he already reached the half of the fairy tale and three minutes later, “I finished this book, next week I’ll come again,” he said then bowing to Woobin and take the bottle then leave the library.Jongsuk just finished bathing and asking for a dinner,

“Can you see that I’m still working?, I can make a food for you, but you must wait until 8 pm, can you wait?,” he asked.

“Can you see that there isn’t visitor here?, just make something simple for my dinner,” he said then take a seat, “for your information, I like meat,” he said.

“And for your information, I don’t have meat.., if you want meat, just eat there..in that restaurant,” he said, “so, your decision is…”

“Ok, just make me something simple, we can eat meat tomorrow,” he said, after heard that Woobin walking to the kitchen and cooking for him, “wah..he is a man who can cook?, that’s great, ” he said then take out something from his bag, an old book. Not that long time that Woobin need for making a simple food, it’s about 20 minutes and he back again with tray,

“For today dinner,” he said then put the tray on the table, “then, I’ll back to my work,” he said,Jongsuk looking at the tray, a bowl of rice with chopsticks next to it, a bowl of kimchi chigae and a plate of egg roll are there,Jongsuk looking at Woobin, he need explanation, “you said you want a simple dinner, that kind of food is simple food, you know?,” he said, maybe they decided to annoy each other.

After dinner, they do their own stuff, Woobin close the library right at 8 pm and make dinner for himself.Jongsuk still reading the old book, sometime he take a look at the shelfs and take one of the fairy tale book, Woobin come out from the kitchen with a plate and glass of wine in his hand,Jongsuk take a look at the plate, and there..there is meat..a steak,

“You said you don’t have meat,? ” he asked in anger,

“Hmm..I forgot to check again, ” he answered innocently and eat his steak like that, “I’ll cook it for you tomorrow,” then smile, “ah..there is something you must now..that there is magic in this library,” he said.

“I want to considered you as someone older than me, but I think I can’t,”Jongsuk said out of anger because of the meat.

“This is real, believe it and have a nice sleep tonight,” he said,Jongsuk start to listen to his story, “everynight, right at the midnight, there will be a disturbance here,” he said.

“What kind of disturbance?,” he asked.

“When I first come here, I don’t know anything about that, but that ahjussi, when Ryu Dohwa ahjussi left, he told me that I must open one of the fairy tale book that your mother write everynight, I get the schedule,” he said while giving him a paper, “because in her entire carerr she write 30 books, so he give me monthly schedule,” then he continue his story again, “he said, because they need to live too,”Jongsuk get confused with those words,

“They?, who are they?,” he asked him.

“Those people from the fairy tale. I don’t mean it to scare you, but it’s really happen…their line from the first page until the last page will be pronounce loudly, everyone who is here until midnight heard that, just their voice that can be heard, those people won’t come out from the book because they already have their ending,” he said then smile.

“Don’t smile like that after telling a scary story,”Jongsuk said, his face look so pale, “but then, you said..30 books? Not 31?,” he asked him about the fairy tale books that his mom make.

“Hmm..I counted it from this shelf, it’s really 30 books that have an ending,” he said.

“Then that one book didn’t have an ending?,” he asked again.

“The tittle of the book is sleeping beauty, right? That book still sleep there, without an ending,” he said while pointing at the shelf in second floor, “she already write the ending for it, but then…the last three pages is disappeared,” he said then walking to the kitchen while bringing his plate, he back again with pillow and blanket then give it toJongsuk, “I don’t really know the detail about that book because I never open it,” he said then taking one of the fairy tale book and open the first page,

“Are you start it now?, it’s still 10 pm..,”Jongsuk said, Woobin looking at him smiling,

“Haa..are you that scared?, they won’t frightening you, but it’ll be really noisy,” he said then place the book on the table, “I always sleep early because I couldn’t sleep after midnight, then I’ll go to bed now,” he said, when he is about to leaveJongsuk,

“Stop right there, you must wait until I sleep, okay?,” he said then run to the second floor and take his headphone, and listening to the music. In 15 minutes, he already feel sleepy, “you can go now,” he said, but Woobin already go since he put the headphone on his ears, he is peeking after said that, and get mad, that sleepy feelling suddenly disappear, “ahhh..seriously..,” he is looking at the clock and it’s still 10.30, it’s make him more mad, then he looking at the picture, “mom, is that story really happen here?, why?,” he asked then change his position from lie down to sit down, he is scanning the whole shelf, looking for something, then he found it, the only book that look strange here..look out of the place because that book it’s the only fairy tale book in this shelf, he take it and smile after read the tittle of the book. Because no one read this fairy tale book, the book it self look really old and dirty, “then he said that he clean it everyday,” he said then get rid of the dust and start to open the book.

*

The sunlight that enter the room through the small window make him wake up from his sleep, then he take a look at his phone, then rubbing his sleepy eyes,

“I think I get enough sleep, why I still feel sleepy,” he said then get up, but then, something under his foot, something strange, he take a look at that thing and then screaming..loudly,

“What are you doing?,” Woobin asked, he run from his room and then close the fairy tale book that he open last night, “what’s wrong with you in early morning?, did you decided to became my alarm from today?,” he asked, because there is no answer from him, he then go up to scolding him but then, after reaching the second floor, he surprised seeing a girl with white dress and flower crown lying down there with hands on her chest, he take look closer, “I feel familiar with her,” he said, thenJongsuk asked,

“You said they won’t come out from the book when the fairy tale already have an ending, right?.”

“Hmm..I said that,” Woobin open his eyes widely and say, “don’t tell me.., sleeping beauty, from that book really here now?,” he asked.

“Maybe, she is really her, she look like her,” he said while pointing at the fairy tale book that he open last night, he read it last night. They look to each other, the sleeping beauty is still sleep despite all the noisy, “is she alive or not?, why she didn’t wake up although hearing all of these noisy?,” then both of them looking at her closer, and then..she open her eyes…