final

Don't lie, just love me

“He’s not a good guy, Jimin.” says Yoongi roughly, almost sounding angry. Jimin sighs for what must be the hundredth time in the last hour before taking a sip from his cup of coffee. He doesn’t dare to look up to his friend. “He probably has another one, who knows how many people he’s ing while he’s with you.”

“Hyung…” Jimin says, hoping the lonely word is enough to make Yoongi stop. He’s tired of hearing the same over and over again. But the word gets drowned by the slight chatter of the café they are in.

Yoongi wasn’t like this, Jimin thinks as Yoongi starts spluttering angry words, each more and more offensive towards Jimin’s current boyfriend, his face getting redder by the second with rage and such hatred Jimin never thought a human was capable of.

It had been days since the last time he had officially met up with the older one. Yoongi had been persisting on seeing each other, sending texts and calling Jimin every five minutes practically begging, and each one of them had been really hard for Jimin to deny. And then Yoongi had started to appear everywhere almost every day trying to get Jimin to go out together and every time the younger had successfully avoided it by hiding somewhere or turning around to walk in the opposite direction. But when Yoongi showed up at Jimin’s work place with a scowl and a mumbled I miss you, Jimin didn’t find it in himself to refuse him again. Not when Yoongi looked at him so sad and broken.

It wasn’t like Jimin hated Yoongi, way far from that. The older one had been Jimin’s best friend for years; his shoulder to cry on during his difficult times, his wise friend for when he needed advice. Jimin considered Yoongi the older brother he never had, it obviously pained Jimin too, even if his avoidance had been justified.

“Jungkook is a liar and a cheater,” Yoongi keeps going. Jimin finally looks up and something inside of him breaks at the sight of his friend. He looks paler, bags under his eyes more prominent and his face thinner, way thinner than usual. But it’s his eyes,  glinting with something dangerous, that has Jimin reeling a bit.“He has a reputation around campus, you know that. He has slept with a lot of people.”

“That was before we started going out, hyung.” defends Jimin with a small voice, hoping this time it won’t fall in deaf ears. He knows it’s futile to argue with Yoongi about this, nothing Jimin says will change the way Yoongi talks about Jungkook. And that is the main reason as to why Jimin had stopped seeing his friend. The amount of hate he directed towards his boyfriend was too much for Jimin to cope with.

“I’m sure he still does, I’ve seen him around campus with a girl, laughing and being really touchy with each other. He’s laughing at you and you don’t even see it.”

And that’s a lie, Jimin knows. First of all because he trusts Jungkook -his boyfriend has always been sincere with him, even before they started officially dating; and in second place because it’s easy to see through Yoongi’s lies. Jimin knows his friend well enough to see it.

Jimin knows Yoongi means well, the older one took upon himself the duty to protect Jimin of everything, but things had started to get out of control and Jimin didn’t know how to deal with it anymore. It almost felt like he was being forced to choose between his friend -practically brother- and his boyfriend. And the fact that Yoongi had been acting like this the past year was pushing Jimin even more towards Jungkook’s direction.

“Hyung, stop it.” snaps Jimin finally, but with enough control of his voice to not show how upset he is. Even after all this years of friendship, and all the pain the older one is inflicting on him, Jimin can’t stay mad at him for long.

Yoongi finally looks at him properly, his eyes completely focused on the younger one’s instead of wandering around, less cold and more like the Yoongi Jimin is used to. “Can’t we talk about something else? It’s been forever since we last met up and I missed you.” he finishes off with a small smile as his fingers fumble with the cup on his hands. He had never reasons to feel insecure or nervous around Yoongi but it seems that lately is the only thing on his mind. The little voice on his head always screaming at him to run away from the older one when he gets a glimpse of him from afar.

Yoongi frowns, his lips and then nods, and that helps Jimin breath a bit more relieved. He doesn’t know for how long he could have been listening to the other talk so bad about the person he likes so much.

They spend the rest of the afternoon together and Yoongi leaves after walking Jimin home and giving him a tight hug, warm and comforting. The kind Jimin loves and has missed so much.

“I’m just trying to protect you, Jiminnie. I don’t want you to suffer.”

Jimin nods and bids his friend farewell with a forced smile. He makes sure he’s locked properly his front door and all windows before heading to bed that night, ignoring the feeling that he’s being watched once again.

 

---------------------

 

Jimin jumps and gasps surprised when a pair of arms embrace him from behind but instantly relaxes when he identifies who they belong to.

Jungkook chuckles on his ear, deep but sweet at the same time before dropping a kiss at the back of his neck.

“Sorry. Did I scare you?” he teases as he presses the tip of his cold nose against Jimin’s ear.

“Yeah, you idiot.” pouts Jimin as his hand smacks playfully the one resting on his lower belly. He turns his head to the side to see the younger smiling at him and he can’t do anything to hold back the giggle that crosses his own lips. Jungkook always manages to that, somehow. He always brightens up Jimin’s day.

Jungkook tightens his hold around his waist to press him closer and Jimin allows him to, leaning backwards and enjoying the warmth Jungkook provides in this cold afternoon.

“I’m sorry~” singsongs the younger, teasing again but Jimin can hear the sincerity on his words.

“I will forgive you if you give me a kiss.” 

That makes Jungkook chuckle again and with his gentle hands turns Jimin’s body around so he can plant a proper kiss on the older’s lips. Jimin melts into the kiss, and hums happily at the feel of Jungkook’s soft and plushy lips against his own. Jungkook doesn’t have to kiss him passionately to have him putty on his arms.

As they walk around the street hand in hand Jimin adjust the scarf around his neck to protect himself from the cold. He loves winter, it gives him the perfect excuse to cuddle with his boyfriend, drink hot coffee and stay indoors practically all day. But that doesn’t mean he wants to catch a cold, so he makes sure his mouth and nose are covered by the thick cotton.

Jungkook squeezes his hand and when Jimin looks up at him the younger just smiles goofily at him, adorable and sweet enough to put a smile on Jimin’s own lips.

They haven’t been dating for long. This thing between them is still new but beautiful, Jimin thinks as he takes in Jungkook’s smiling face. The younger is distracted talking about his day, pressing himself closer to Jimin’s side as they step into a more crowded street and the amount of people around them make it more difficult to walk.

This is going to be their first winter together as a couple, and albeit the excitement of spending Christmas with each other, they don’t want to rush anything. The both agreed on taking things slowly, get to know each other even more, and Jimin is happy with it. The older of the two is happy for the respect they are giving to their relationship.

Jungkook would never hurt him, contrary to Yoongi’s belief. Jimin always trusted Yoongi on matters like these, though. The older one had some kind of a sense for new people and always warned Jimin whenever he sensed something off with someone. Not a single boy Jimin had tried to go on a relationship with had passed Yoongi’s radar, and the younger had never questioned the reasons too much until Jungkook came around.

Taehyung was the one who introduced them, and Jungkook fit perfectly and really quick in their circle of friends. His goofy personality was his charming point and his sweetness was what made Jimin pay him more attention. Jungkook and Jimin grew close as fast as Yoongi and Jungkook started hating each other.

Jungkook had tried at first, he even asked Jimin how to be closer to the older one knowing their tight friendship, but Yoongi had been refusing him, pushing the younger one away and kept badmouthing him and spitting malicious lies to Jimin as to stop them from being friends too. It got worse when Jimin told him they started dating a year after meeting.

Yoongi’s hatred for Jungkook grew stronger and the words falling from his mouth started being so painful for Jimin to hear that he had to separate himself from his friend. Even if that had hurt Jimin even more.

“Are you ok?” asks Jungkook, efficiently snapping Jimin out of his thoughts. The older looks at his boyfriend and internally scolds himself for worrying him when they are supposed to be having fun. 

“Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking.” replies Jimin, curling his lips up in a smile. It’s not forced at all, but it’s not entirely sincere either.

“You are frowning,” accuses Jungkook, his brows imitating Jimin’s own then. “and that’s never a goo sign. You know you can tell me if something worries you, right?”

“Yeah, I…uhm, I just,” he pauses, deliberating whether it’s a good idea or not to tell Jungkook about Yoongi. He doesn’t want to lie to Jungkook, their relationship was based on trust and sincerity, but he knows it will make Jungkook mad.

“I met up with Yoongi-hyung yesterday.” Jimin finally says, but regrets instantly his confession. Jungkook tenses up the moment the words are out and Jimin is quick to squeeze his hand in reassurance. “He came to my workplace and we haven’t seen each other so much lately so-“

“Because you’ve been avoiding him,” interrupts Jungkook with a scowling face. “What you should have done yesterday as well.”

“Jungkook…” says Jimin softly. He’s stopped walking long ago and has pulled Jungkook to him by their linked hands until they are close enough for Jimin to rest his hand on Jungkook’s cheek. It makes the younger shudder a bit, Jimin’s hands are always cold. “He’s like a brother to me, you know I just can’t keep ignoring him forever.”

Jungkook bites the inside of cheek annoyed, and Jimin would have to be blind to not see how much this irritates the younger one, but Jimin appreciates the fact that he’s trying to be understanding, that despite his thoughts about Yoongi he respects Jimin’s actions.

“I just… I don’t like how he tries to feed you lies about me.” Jungkook sighs, suddenly looking too tired to even support the weight of his own shoulders. “I know you love him but-“

“I know,” says Jimin, nodding with a sad smile. “And I also know you well enough to see you would never hurt me. I trust you, and nothing he says can make me change what I feel for you.” 

Jimin smiles widens when he sees Jungkook breath relieved before leaning forward for a kiss. This is the Jungkook he wants to see, happy and content with his life, no worries. He doesn’t need to know Jimin has been feeling watched lately by a pair of too much familiar eyes.

 

---------------------

 

 

Can I come over?

Jimin reads the message once again through his blurry vision. He blinks sleepily a couple of times with a yawn so wide it threatens to pop his jaw out of its place.

Jimin is tired. Really, really tired. He had to take Seojun’s shift when she called in sick when he was about to head out to home already. Twelve hours of work after six of classes has Jimin’s bones like jelly and muscles melting down the concrete. But extra work means extra money, and he needs that more than sleep. 

He’s beyond exhausted now, so his plans for the night were to go home, eat something quick and sleep until the next day, but Jungkook had texted him while he was still working, followed by a lot of heart emojis with ‘I miss u’s and ‘I need to see your ugly face today’ and Jimin is so weak.

He replies his affirmative while he changes out of his working clothes. They stink, so he shoves them on his bag to get them clean at home and then dashes out the changing room with a too cheery goodbye to his replacement for the night shift and a smile fixed on his mouth.

It’s late and cold, and now that he thinks about it Jungkook’s presence will be very welcomed on his plans for the night. They can go to his apartment, order some food and fill their tummies like pigs while watching some bad movie and cuddle on the sofa, warm and comfortable. Jimin smiles, cheeks tinting pink at the thought of what else could they be doing later on his bed.

He starts walking through the silent and empty street with a soft smile on his lips, Jungkook having replied already his affirmative to spend the night at his apartment. They are going to meet at the train station since Jungkook was at the library near by for a study session.

“Jimin.” comes Yoongi’s voice form behind him. Jimin turns around quickly, his hand curling tighter around his phone.

“Hyung?” he asks confused, voice high pitched and sounding too fear induced for his liking. His heart is beating so fast it feels as if it’s going to explode; he recognizes the slight fear that covers his body. “What are you doing here?”

“I was waiting for you….” says Yoongi, hands shoved on his jacket’s pockets and a thick scarf covering half his face. He looks so small, the jacket drowning his tiny body almost completely in warmth, but by his stance he looks like he’s terribly cold. Jimin thinks he can see him trembling a bit.

“Have you been waiting for long?” Jimin finds asking himself, his brows furrowing in slight worry. Yoongi just shrugs in response and digs his nose deeper into his scarf.

“I wanted to see you.”

“You should have called me, or come in at the store.” says Jimin, gulping nervously as Yoongi takes a step forward. “You shouldn’t have waited here in the cold.”

“It’s ok, I don’t mind.” Yoongi shrugs once again as he takes another step towards Jimin. 

The younger doesn’t know why he feels so scared of Yoongi suddenly, he had never reasons to not trust him. But he also knows Yoongi’s presence has been hovering around Jimin lately, suspiciously appearing out of thin air in places he’s not supposed to. Just like right now. And that scares Jimin a little bit.

“Do you wanna go grab something to eat? I’m sure you haven’t eaten anything.” 

Jimin averts his gaze, now very aware of how it’s just the two of them in the street. His hearts picks up its pace again, nervous and slightly scared at the feel of Yoongi’s piercing eyes on him.

“Uhm, I can’t hyung.” he says, not daring to look at his friend on the eyes. “It’s late and I’m tired-“

“But you aren’t tired to meet up with Jungkook, are you?” Yoongi spats angrily. Jimin looks up at him slightly surprised by his outburst but also alarmed by that piece of information Yoongi isn’t supposed to have.

“How do-“

“Isn’t it obvious?” interrupts Yoongi, taking another step forward and lifting his hand to grab Jimin’s upper arm in a firm grip. Jimin hadn’t even noticed when the other had come that close. “That is trying to take you away from me, using his pretty smile and kind eyes to lure you in and you are falling in his trap like an idiot.”

Jimin’s eyes widen, surprise and fear mixing together as Yoongi’s grip on his arm tightens almost painfully, his fingers digging into the material of his thick coat.

“Hyung.” Jimin tries meekly to get rid of Yoongi’s hand on him but the other’s grip is firm, and almost painful.

“He’s bad for you and you don’t seem to see it Jimin.” Yoongi says, voice a bit louder, even shaking Jimin’s shoulder a bit and eliciting a soft whine of pain from his mouth.

“Hyung,” Jimin whimpers slightly, his hand reaching up to Yoongi’s and digging his nails into his bony fingers. “You are hurting me.”

Yoongi seems to realize what’s he’s doing and releases the younger one as if the touch were burning his flesh. Jimin hugs himself, his hand holding the arm Yoongi was groping seconds ago as he tries to even his breathing, though he can’t do much to ease his furiously beating heart.

“Sorry, Jiminnie, I- ugh.” Yoongi mumbles, nervously his lips as his hand runs through his hair. “I just want you to realize Jungkook is not good for you. I would do so much better.”

And then Jimin understands. Why the hateful comments, all the lies to make Jungkook disappear, the possessive way in which Yoongi always held him, the lingering touches, the fond smiles. Jimin feels stupid for not seeing that the love shining on Yoongi’s brown eyes when he looked at him wasn’t simple brotherly affection.

“Is this why you’ve been following me around?” asks Jimin in a small voice. He tucks his head down, suddenly terrified by the answer. He’s had the feeling that Yoongi has been following him but he didn’t want to acknowledge it, afraid what it would entail; saying it out loud makes it even more real and Jimin wasn’t ready to see the reality.

“I just- I wanted to make sure he was treating you well.” says Yoongi hoarsely. He moves forward, hands up to try to touch Jimin again, but the younger takes a step back shaking his head to stop him from coming any closer.

“If you would listen to me for a second you would know he’s doing it.” spats Jimin furiously, ignoring the angry tear that falls down one of his cheeks. “If you weren’t that busy trying to hate him you would see he loves me and treats me so damn good.”

Yoongi opens his mouth to say something but Jimin sniffs loudly and takes a couple of steps backwards.

“Stop hurting us, hyung,” pleads Jimin, “I love you but I can’t have you in my life if you keep acting like this.”

Jimin doesn’t wait for the other to reply or do something, he turns around and with quick steps he rushes to the train station when Jungkook must be waiting for him already. He doesn’t look back to see the tears that fall from Yoongi’s eyes, nor the fury swimming on them like boiling lava.

 

---------------------

 

“Hey, handsome.” comes Jungkook’s voice. Jimin startles and looks up from his phone, where he was typing out a message for Jungkook to ask for his whereabouts. Since that night Jungkook started to come pick him up after his classes or work. Jimin knew it was too much to ask of him, but when the younger saw Jimin disheveled and a crying mess when they met later he didn’t even ask for Jimin’s permission. Not after the older told him the reason behind his tears.

“You scared me, idiot.” laughs Jimin, immediately throwing himself at Jungkook’s neck for a hug. The younger’s arms circle his waist with ease, naturally, and presses their bodies closer.

“Sorry.” Jungkook apologizes with a soft smile before pecking Jimin’s lips. “Ready to go home?”

They make their way towards Jimin’s apartment slowly, hands intertwined and talking about everything and nothing. They take their time, enjoying the rare warmth of the evening as the sun setting shines the most.

Jungkook manages to make Jimin laugh again, which has been difficult the past days. Jimin hadn’t told Jungkook the whole story, he knows Jungkook would be terribly pissed if he finds out Yoongi had been following Jimin around. He knows he shouldn’t  hide things from him, but it’s painful even for himself to think about Yoongi in that way. And as far as he knows, Jimin hasn’t seen him snooping around since that night, so he sees no reason to tell Jungkook about it.

Jimin giggles as Jungkook trips on the middle of stairs after trying -and obviously failing- at taking three at once, leaving him on all fours and his teeth almost on the floor.

“Are you trying to seduce me?” asks Jimin in between laughs. Jungkook chuckles and turns his head to catch Jimin’s eyes with his own and sticks his more in the air, wiggling it and eliciting more laughs from the older one. 

“Is it working?” asks Jungkook, putting more energy on his dance. Jimin smacks it slightly as he keeps climbing up the stairs and mumbling a flirtatious ‘come and find out’ that has Jungkook on his feet instantly.

But the smile is easily erased form their mouths as they see Yoongi leaning on Jimin’s apartment’s door, arms crossed and looking like he’s been standing there for hours.

“Hyung?” asks Jimin tentatively. The older one turns his head to the couple and Jimin instantly feels panic consume him entirely at the stare the other sentences him with.

Yoongi’s eyes focus instantly on him and lifts himself from his position at the door before starting to walk towards them, dragging his feet slowly. Jimin’s sight gets cut by Jungkook, who positions himself in front of him with one arm stretched out beside him to push gently Jimin behind him.

“What the are you doing here?” asks Jungkook, voice loud and cold. It’s the first time Jimin has heard that tone of voice on the younger, not even when Yoongi was brought into conversation before has Jungkook talked like that and Jimin knows already he doesn’t want to hear it ever again.

Jimin hears Yoongi snort and leans to the side to catch a glimpse of Jimin’s hidden form. It has him shivering in fear.

Yoongi’s cat-like eyes are icy cold when they focus on Jungkook again; Yoongi looks dangerous, ready to fight, even almost capable of slicing his hand through Jungkook’s chest to pull his heart out of his ribcage.

“I just came to see him, you can leave.” says Yoongi with a venomous voice. It has Jimin flinching and grabbing Jungkook’s coat to prevent him from getting closer to the other.

Jungkook snorts as his shoulders square up, stance ready for a fight that Jimin would prefer to avoid.

You should leave,” spats Jungkook through gritted teeth. “Don’t you get it? He doesn’t want to see you.”

Yoongi’s eyes waver from Jungkook to Jimin for a second before narrowing at the younger of the three again, darkening even more than before.

“Hyung, please-“ tries Jimin softly, fingers digging into Jungkook’s coat. He has him firmly grabbed but he knows he won’t be able to stop the younger one from launching himself at the other if he desires to.

“I’m not leaving him with you,” begins Yoongi, fists clenched in anger. “There is no way I will leave him with an like you. He deserves better.”

“Someone like you?” says Jungkook shrugging Jimin’s hand off of him. “Someone who obviously scares him off? Have you seen his face? That’s not the face of someone who’s happy to see you.”

Jimin breathes in at the same Yoongi does, but whereas Jimin does so out of fear for what is about to come, Yoongi does it out of rage, and the way his eyes glow dangerously give Jimin chills.

“ off.” growls Yoongi, taking another step forward, and Jungkook takes one of his own, staring down at the other angrily, practically baring his teeth.

“Don’t try me, Yoongi.” threatens Jungkook, “I will be very happy to kick your , so leave before I make you to.”

Jimin sees it coming before neither of the other two move. He sees something break inside Yoongi, which is what provokes him to throw himself at Jungkook. Chaos ensues within the next seconds and Jimin can only watch from the side.

Yoongi manages to throw the first punch and successfully hits Jungkook right on his jaw. The hit has the younger wobbling to the side, hand covering the side of his face with a pained expression. Jimin thinks he yells, but he’s not really sure as he sees Jungkook grabbing Yoongi by the collar of his jacket before punching him on the face. The force of the punch has the smaller one crashing into the wall behind him, but Jungkook hasn’t loosened his grip on him and throws in another punch straight to Yoongi’s face again.

“.” curses Jimin, his voices trembling as much as his hands. “Stop, please.”

There is blood running down Yoongi’s nose and his lip is split open. Jimin has never seen someone fight before, not like this, and it’s sure and image he won’t ever forget.

But Yoongi is stubborn, and takes advantage of his small frame to punch Jungkook stomach and kick his side when said one doubles over in pain. Jimin screams again for them to stop, and even approaches them to separate the two men but he’s pushed roughly to the side by Yoongi, who’s vision is fixed on Jungkook only.

Jungkook pushes Yoongi, his big hands smack painfully Yoongi’s chest with enough force to have him plant his on the floor with a groan of pain.

And then Jimin sees movement down the hallway; someone at the farthest door down the corridor is watching them; Mss. Choi, with her gray hair pulled up and scared eyes watching the scene unfolding in front of her eyes. She’s a nice woman, sweet and caring and Jimin feels bad she’s seeing this. He also notices she has a phone pressed on her ear, her lips mumbling words Jimin can’t hear, but taking in consideration what’s happening, she’s probably calling the cops.

When Jimin’s attention goes back to his boyfriend and best friend, he sees Jungkook straddling Yoongi’s legs, one hand holding him down by the collar of his jacket while the other goes down for another punch. 

“Jungkook!” Jimin launches himself to his boyfriend, and grabs him by the back of his coat to pull him away form the other man. Yoongi is not unconscious, but has stopped fighting back, just laying there motionless with a blood-stained face. “Stop, you gonna kill him.”

“He deserves it!” fires back Jungkook with fire on his eyes, but Jimin doesn’t flinch and keeps pulling the younger away until he thinks he’s put enough distance between them.

“Are you crazy?” yells Jimin, cupping Jungkook’s face with both his hand. There is a bruise on his right cheek, and his left eye is starting to swell, but aside from that there aren’t any major injuries. Not like Yoongi’s, at least. “I don’t want you to kill anyone, idiot… don’t- .” 

Jimin is crying now, embracing Jungkook with a vice grip. He then hears rushed footsteps climbing up the stairs and his brain registers people identifying themselves as police officers. There are screams everywhere, someone pulls him away from Jungkook despite his protests and then a woman is asking him too many questions for Jimin’s brain to even process.

Jimin does a quick glance over, sees Jungkook talking with a police officer and then Yoongi being taken away by paramedics practically unconscious. He lets his legs give up and falls to the floor, crying, nervous, anxious.

He’s relieved Jungkook is ok, but he also feels a part of his heart is being ripped off his chest as it finally sinks in that he has lost his best friend.

 

---------------------

 

“How did it go?” asks Jungkook the second Jimin is in hearing proximity. He’s leaning agains his car, some old machine that belonged to Jungkook’s father before and that Jimins knows won’t last for too long despite Jungkook’s hard maintenance work.

Jimin gives him a small smile before kissing his lips, sighing happy as Jungkook embraces him.

“Good,” he replies, his hand reaching up to cup Jungkook’s cheek. The bruise is practically faded, thankfully. No more remainders of what had happened a moth ago. “I think I left a good impression.”

He pecks his lips again, just because he can, that elicit chuckles from Jungkook’s mouth and his arms tightening around his waist. There is something in the way Jungkook holds him that has Jimin sighing dreamily every time; Jungkook’s touch is always firm but gentle, caring and sweet. Jimin has never felt so secure before in another man’s embrace.

“Is there anyone whose not falling for your charms?” teases Jungkook, smile plastered on his mouth. White bunny teeth peeking from under his top lip. “I’m sure you will get the job.”

“I hope so…” says Jimin flattered by the subtle compliment, his words accompanied with giggles and warmth on his heart. He doesn’t know why he’s smiling that much, must be what being in love feels like.

“Ok, let’s go. I’m starving.” Jungkook pats his playfully, eyes shining mischievously, kinda childly like and Jimin concludes right then and there that he’s deeply in love with this dork.

They get in Jungkook’s old car, motor roaring loudly to live and attracting attention form people around. Jungkook links their hands atop Jimin’s thigh and talks animatedly about something silly he and Taehyung did the other night while driving them to their favorite ramen shop. Jimin just smiles, happy and content to have found some light on his life that comes by the name of Jeon Jungkook.