Voices

Behind the Phone

It was summer break, the longest holiday in the year. Most people would be going for long holidays, and have fun during this long break, but for Jung Wheein, it was the most dull and boring period of the year. As a university student, she lived far from her parents in the countryside, and her family did not have enough money for her to come back during the summer. Most summers were usually the same, lazing at home and occasionally going out with those that did not go home too. But this time, it was slightly different. She had a summer job, as a receptionist. At first, being someone who loved human interaction, she was so looking forward to start working, but slowly sinking into her job, she realised that it was better off NOT having a job. Being a receptionist was worst that lazing around at home. When there were no calls or walk-in customers, she literally had nothing to do! At least at home she could be using her phone or surfing the net… If it weren’t for the money, she would’ve quit long time ago. She quickly made friends with the counter staff, and after 2-3 weeks she was almost best friends with the staff sitting next to her, Hyejin. They both have similar family backgrounds and felt almost the same way about the job.

 

It was a normal Thursday afternoon, Wheein just came back from her lunch break. The phone rang, and Wheein sprung to her senses

“Good afternoon, This is Wheein from Nom Travel, How may I assist you?” Wheein chirped.

 

The other end of the line was silent.

 

“Hello? Wheein from Nom Travel speaking, do you need any help?”

 

More silence greeted the jolly girl

 

“Hello? Anyone there?” Wheein was already starting to assume that it was a prank call.

 

Just when she was about to put the phone down when there was finally a voice from the other end. “Um Did you say this was Nom Travel?”

 

Wheein was stunt. The caller had a deep, soothing voice, a voice that would make a crying child calm, but yet make the calm Wheein nervous and entranced. “Y-Ye-s it is.” Wheein was at a loss for words for the first time for the past 2 weeks as a receptionist. His voice was one that she has never heard before, the most beautiful voice she’s ever heard.

 

“Sorry what was your name again?” His beautiful voice rang.

 

“Whee-Wheein, Jung Wheein.” She stuttered.

 

“I think I got the wrong number, sorry about that.” He apologised and hung up.

 

Wheein put the phone back, still daydreaming about the guy with the beautiful voice, and her lips slowly curving up to form a smile. Hwasa turned over and asked her what happened, why her face was as red as a tomato. Wheein just looked down and smiled. After that call, All the innocent girl could think about was the guy’s beautiful voice. She then came to a realisation that she did not even know his name. She blamed herself for being too carried away with a man’s voice. Even till the moment before she slept, his deep voice was still ringing in her head. His voice wasn’t something that was easily found.

 

The next day at work, at about the same time as the day before, right after lunch break, the phone rang again. Wheein immediately picked it up, even before it rang once.

 

“Good afternoon, This is Wheein from Nom Travel, how may I assist you?” Wheein greeted as usual, crossing her fingers hoping it was the guy from yesterday.

 

“Wheein? This is the guy who called the wrong number yesterday… You may not remember me but I just wanted to ask more about Nom Travel.” As the beautiful sound from a beautiful human rang out, Wheein once again smiled to herself and bit her lip, thanking the gods for letting her hear his voice again. Little did she know the true intention of him calling.

 

“Hi, I remember you. Unfortunately if you want to enquire about our Travel Agency you would have to call the Enquiry Hotline, as this is my numbe-, I mean the reception number.” Wheein tried to keep her calm. She tried.

 

The man chuckled. “Ah, I see. Thanks”.

 

“Thank you, bye!” Just as Wheein was about to put the phone down, the man spoke again.

 

“Ah, wait!”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Um…. Can I have.. Uh nevermind, bye.” And he hung up.

 

Wheein was shocked by the sudden end of the call, and immediately regretted not asking for his name. But still, she was happy enough to be able to hear his voice at least for a minute or two. That day, she went home happier than ever, smiling over something small like that.

 

The next day came quickly, and once again at the same time as the day before, the call came in, this time asking another question about Nom Travel, and the next day again, and again, and again. Soon, the guy with the beautiful voice stopped asking her questions about Nom Travel, but about things closer to the heart, maybe like what she had for breakfast and lunch. It slowly became a routine for both of them to have small 1-2 minute chats everyday at 2.30pm. Wheein would stare at the phone from 2.29pm, and at 2.30pm on the dot, the call would come in. Hwasa would tease Wheein about the mysterious man with the deep voice, and they both dubbed him as “AMok” (A/N: it’s a abbreviation for Areumdaun Moksori, which means beautiful voice in Korean). They chatted everyday for at least 2 weeks after they first spoke, but yet the usually outgoing Wheein did not dare to ask for his name.

 

It was 2.29pm again that day, and Wheein as usual was staring at the phone, waiting for a call to come in. The clock finally hit 2.30pm, but no call came in. Maybe he’s just a bit late today. She thought to herself. 10mins passed, and still no call. Another 10mins passed, and still no call! “AMok not calling in today?” Hwasa asked. Wheein shrugged her shoulders and looked at the phone in disappointment. Another 10mins passed, and it was 3pm, but still no call.

 

Maybe he doesn’t want to talk to me anymore.. Ahh. What am I even thinking, he’s just a customer and I’m just a receptionist Many thoughts ran through Wheein’s mind as she sighed and her faith in “AMok” calling slowly crushed her. Wheein was so deep in her thoughts that she did not even notice a tall young man walk through the door. He walked up to the reception counter and said, “Hi, I’m looking for Jung Wheein?” Wheein snapped out of her thoughts and soon came to the realisation that the voice of the man sounded so familiar. She looked up and the moment she locked eyes with the man they both could not speak. After a minute of gazing into each other’s voice, Wheein came to her senses and realised that that man was AMok. He not only has a beautiful voice, but also a beautiful pair of eyes.

 

“Me. I-I’m Jung Wheein.” Wheein reached out her hand to shake the man’s hand. The young man seemed as shocked as Wheein was, but still reached her hand out and introduced himself. “I’m Kim Yongsun, the guy you talked to on the phone everyday.” Wheein blushed as their hands touched. How soft his hands are, warm like his voice. She thought.

 

“I actually wanted to come at 2.30pm, but got lost on the way here… The roads are quite confusing” Yongsun chuckled.

 

Ah, his voice. I can’t get enough of it. His smile, is almost as touching as his voice. Wheein thought, and smiled back. After exchanging a few words, Yongsun was already leaving. Just before he walked out the door, and Wheein squealing to Hwasa, he turned around one last time and said, “Tomorrow, 12pm, I’ll come here again and let’s go for lunch.” He smiled.