001

Work For It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I'm not joking Wendy it really is love at first sight!” it was said for the millionth time and Seulgi sounded almost frustrated as she bounced alongside her which was ridiculous in Wendy's opinion because it was her that was frustrated after suffering with her friend's whining all morning.

Wendy fastened her pace after deciding to block out the voice of the other girl currently confessing her love. Her quickened steps did nothing to slow down the girl's enthusiasm. The pair continued walking across their college campus for a little while before the brunette reasoned that ignoring Seulgi isn't going to ease her pounding head, thankfully there weren't a lot of students outside today otherwise her stupid friend would've attracted the attention of the nosy students.

Her big scarf and thick coat made her movements a little rigid but Wendy still made the effort to move her head to slightly look towards the blonde who has now moved on to listing all her favourite things about her new found love.

“You know Seul,” the girl started making sure she had the full attention from her friend before continuing, “If you're really this passionate about the ‘best thing that would ever happen in your life’ why aren't you actually doing anything about it?”

The taller girl frowns slightly and looks up to the sky thoughtfully as if an equation was just thrown at her as opposed to a basic question - which makes Wendy grit her teeth in frustration, starting to lose patience all over again and wonder if Seulgi actually finds her answers written in the sky when she does that.  

It seems like she found her reply in the dark clouds above them and Wendy looks at her expectantly before she begins, “I won't be able to afford going away next summer if I buy this guitar Wendy, it is a beautiful instrument but I need more time to consider the cost.”

The shorter of the two starts to feel a little sympathy for her friend who seems to be genuinely distressed at her situation. Before any words of advice were given the conflicted blonde added, “I don't know if it'll be in stock in a few months time, if this becomes the sequel to The Sneakers That Got Away I'll be so annoyed” Seulgi was clearly thinking too much about this for a Monday afternoon - all the other girl wanted to talk about was what food they're going to order at the coffee shop.

“Yeah it was actually a shame you didn't get them in time, especially since they were on sale…” The attention Seulgi had on her current new sneakers (which were just as nice but not in the same unique colour or style she originally sought after) redirected back to Wendy, “On the bright side at least the we're all a fan of the original Old Man Jacket that you did purchase!”

Wendy is in hysterics as suddenly recalls that tragic shopping trip from when they were in high school. The atmosphere becomes lighter as the blonde groans and buries her face in her gloved hands, suddenly wishing her friend never responded back to her. She's still embarrassed even after the her shorter friend removed her hands in fear of her waking into a bench - as hilarious as that would be Wendy wants to be in the warmth as soon as possible.

Despite it being cold Seulgi still slightly fans her reddened cheeks before laughing out, “You know I saw my uncle wearing that jacket right?”

The laughter that was starting to die it gets louder and Seulgi joins in, no matter how much the brunette annoyed her she was still grateful to the other girl who helped her find her own fashion sense even though it wasn't the easiest thing to do.

Feeling lighter even though they were laughing at her expense Seulgi feels her mood get better as she opens the door for her and the girl tagging in behind her. Wendy smiled, thanking her, no matter how much they bullied each other the taller girl always looked after her in little and big things. Seulgi had some nice qualities that made her feel fortunate to have such a friend to grow up with but it's not like the brunette would ever admit it to her.

Seulgi is too preoccupied in trying to catch a glimpse of the barista in between the multiple students blocking her favorite view that she doesn't notice her younger friend who joins the pair and greets them both. Being so focused on trying to squint her eyes at just the right focus to make out the worker more clearly Joy’s “about time you both got here” falls on deaf ears.

She also misses the way the tallest of the group looks in question at the brunette who shrugs and returns her attention to the sandwich of the day details. Not happy with the lack of attention or conversation but mainly attention Joy decides to make her presence known to the girl who was squinting less as they were getting closer to the counter.

Seulgi was excited she was getting closer to her crush and could even clearly see the way her hands moved to get orders ready, the way she still looked stunning even in her work outfit, the way her hair was tied up in a ponytail rather than the usual messy bun revealing her large ears that she still found so attractive.

Now that she's within earshot and the pretty girls’ soft voice could be heard she bounced slightly on her toes, they were next in line. The blonde was getting proud she's worked out multitasking in rehearsing her order and subtly checking out cute barista girl. All of a sudden she felt uneasy but she couldn't process it until it was too late.

Feeling the arms around her waist and chin on her shoulder before actually hearing her, she didn't even have time to react before the girl pressed up against her back not so quietly spoke “Seulgi unnie, you have realised she's not on the menu by now haven't you?”

If the blonde’s ears were showing they'd be bright red, too flustered to respond right away she notices that even cute barista girl who was wiping the small crumbs off the counter and reading the bill out to the customer (Seulgi thought she was so talented) heard stupid Joy.

Once the situation is grasped by the girl still in Joy's arms she untangles herself glaring at the giggling kid, hitting her gently Seulgi scolds her, “Stop being dumb!”

“Stop ignoring me for some chick that you want to eat ou-” Joy stops talking partially because she's shocked the older girl reacted so fast and partially because said girl had her hand tightly pressed against her lips. Seeing it was their turn to order Joy Seulgi’s hand and walks towards the towards the counter, disregarding her friends cries of disgust at her now wet hand.

Seulgi wasn't going to let Joy's grossness ruin her chance to talk to the cute worker, if she wasn't to preoccupied thinking about the guitar she saw on the way home last night she would've been talking about how excited she was to go to the coffee shop. Once both her friends ordered and moved to their table she took a deep breath and stepped forward. Even if the girl heard what Joy said Seulgi was sure that she hadn't made any connections yet, her smile was still bright and her clear brown eyes showed no signs of repulsion.

Feeling relieved the blonde successfully made her order, only messing up one word this time which made the barista's eyes light up in amusement like it usually does.

When the cute worker asks if she'd like anything else she wants so badly to say something witty or flirty to impress the girl but all she manages is a small “no thanks” and grabs her order.

“You're finished already?” She asks sliding into her seat across from the brunette, shocked and little concerned for her friend.

“What do you mean already? I forgot to eat breakfast because that child Sooyoung was over late last night and I overslept and then I spent the whole morning listening to your disturbing love for some guitar, plus I have three assignments to do tonight so I don't want to be babysitting any of you two tonight.” Wendy ends her ranting with a glare directed at both of her friends.

Before any of the other two friends could defend themselves Wendy continued, her frustrated tone morphing into a teasing one, “Plus you took an awfully long time in the bathroom…”

Joy smirks catching on to Wendy's teasing and winks at the girl sitting across the two of them, turning in her seat to innocently face her confused friend, “Aww did you and you girlfriend accidentally brush hands so you had to quickly get yourself off in the bathroom?”

“Stop being so gross it's only lunch time.” Seulgi complains, lightly smacking her arm and ignoring both girls who are laughing at her expense. “I only went to wash my hands since someone made them dirty”

The short haired girl gags, “You stop being gross I didn't want details” Seulgi drops the sandwich she was about to take a bite out of to hit the girl again and gets more annoyed when Joy exclaims that she doesn't want to be touched by her anymore. Seulgi is getting tired of the conversation and decides to complain under her breath and just eat her lunch.

Wendy and Joy talk among themselves and she's about halfway through her meal when she contributes to the conversation again, Wendy complains again about Joy's late night visit which prompts Seulgi to question why she was there. Joy starts paying close attention to her own half full finished drink and Wendy rolls her eyes at the girl now ignoring the both of them.

“She's acting like a baby because Yeri is staying an extra week on vacation” Wendy explains. Seulgi nods understandingly as she recalls receiving the text from the young girl in between the fourth and fifth time she mentioned the guitar to Wendy. Joy was always much happier with Yeri, more troublesome too but much still happier than she's been these past few days. Missing seeing Joy being happier moves her to respond.

“Don't be so hard on her Wendy we all miss Yerim-ah and you know how close they ar- wait a second” Seulgi pauses mid defence to work something out, “Why did Yeri only tell me today and you guys yesterday?”

Choosing to pretend Seulgi’s question didn't exist Wendy continues about how loud and energetic Joy had been through the night and how she refused to sleep.

Joy seems to have found her voice and continues her conversation with the brunette whilst Seulgi sends Yeri a message of complaint for not telling her sooner.

The music student tunes into the conversation again when she hears Wendy talking about her instruments and starts thinking about the beautiful guitar she saw, the store was closed but she's sure that she'll pass her music degree with no trouble even if she just holds the instrument just for a second.

She shakes her head to stop her ridiculous imagination and focus on her friend.

“- so yeah I'm thinking of asking for more time at work so I can pay for the replacement strings.”

Joy nods vacantly, her drink didn't have caffeine which was probably a bad call since she used up all her energy bothering Wendy to play on the console.

Seulgi and Wendy however seem to suddenly brighten and become excited as they both have a thought.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter