kiss me on the mouth and set me free

Gently, Gently

  song - bite by troye sivan


  He's floating, midnight sky sifting between his fingers. You're dreaming. If only it were so. 

  Youjin is dying. 

  Most people wish to pass away in their sleep, but he thinks it's cruel. Going to bed only to never wake up in the morning. He supposes, though, that it's worse to be awake when you die. 

  Above him on the top bunk his band member is snoring. It drowns out the noise of Youjin's rattling breaths, as if his ribs are playing a song. 

  "I don't want to die." he whispers. 

  Another breath, and the tears start to fall. Not because he's scared - no, Youjin's met Death a handful of times, enough not to fear it. Youjin just doesn't want to leave. He doesn't want to go away when everything's finally gone right. Hell, he's living out his dream as a singer, with some of the most wonderful people he's ever met...and now he's dying. 

  A shadow moves from the corner of the room. Youjin sees it, but only out of the corner of his eye. 

  He can't move.

  "Hello, Youjin."

  Death is always smiling, though it's not happy. Youjin can see the sadness that laces its every word and action. 

  "This time...is it really...?"

  The sadness of Death's expression intensifies and it nods clearly in the moonlight. Instead of speaking, Youjin merely watches the last thing he'll ever see. Takes in the paleness of Death and wonders why its face keeps changing. Morphing into those he loves, and more tears soak into Youjin's pillow. 

  His mother and his father. 

  All of his siblings. 

  Then Seungjun, Inseong, Jihun and finally, Heejun. 

  "Why?" he croaks. The bed squeaks as Death sits down, gently pushing Youjin's shoulder until he's lying on his back. 

  "A myth. Before you die, your life flashes before your eyes. Everyone who loves you, and everyone you love. They are your life, Youjin."

  "I'm leaving them behind."

  A cool hand brushes against his face, so, so gentle. It moves to push his hair out of his eyes and allows the moon to bathe them in its sickly glow. Death is next to him. 

  "You'll see them soon enough."

  Death's kiss is cold. Cold enough that it's the only thing Youjin can focus on as he slips away. 

  Away, away, away.