Trivial?

Ephemeral

As Baekhyun waved the shaker around, the baby looked towards him. Hyejin, smiled whilst she cooed and reached towards the shaker. As the opportunity arose he took a snap. Still on bent knees, he scanned through the shots and decided on 5 that would make the cut. Baekhyun placed the camera on the floor, and crawled towards Hyejin. As they touched heads, she giggled and waved her arms about.

Hyejin was his niece. Baekhyun was looking after her for a week whilst his brother and his wife had gone abroad for a week. Hyejin and Baekhyun sat together and skyped them in the evenings. It was nice spending time with his niece - it was like he had his very own family, something that he often longed for.

It was 7 in the evening. The sky had settled into a lustrous gradient of mellow orange to a flamboyant pink, whips of clouds swirled through the vibrant colours. A light breeze Baekhyun's face through the open window. It was the little things like this that made him appreciate life; you always expect there to be waves at a beach, you always expect night to appear - it was trivial and beautiful.

Baekhyun picked Hyejin up and rested her on his hip as he walked towards the open window. Seeing the bustling city while standing at the skyline made him realise just how small and insignificant the human race was compared to everything - yet they were ruling the planet and destroying it like it was theirs to keep. He sighed and closed the window.

Hyejin had fallen asleep so he laid her to sleep. Her long eyelashes fluttered as she turned to her head to face the ceiling, she looked angelic unbeknownst to the horrors of this world. Her naive innocence was endearing, would her childhood be untainted just as it is now? Baekhyun smiled down at her and give her a kiss on her small head before leaving the room. 

Shutting the door, Baekhyun let out a heavy breath and then sat down on his purple chesterfield sofa. As much as he loved his niece, it was nice to sit in silence. Silence was either your friend or enemy - it all depended on what you thought about. Contrary to what Baekhyun thought about silence, today it was his enemy. Cynical and morose thoughts competed against each other in a bid to see which one would evoke an emotional response first, Baekhyun put his head in between his hands. His fingers tugged at his short jet black hair as he blinked back tears.

Ping!

Jolting up from his toxic thoughts, Baekhyun wiped away his tears hurriedly. Although no one had watched him cry, he felt pathetic and mortified that he had allowed himself to descend into a vulnerable state. Gingerly, he picked up his phone and raised an eyebrow at the notification.

Yixing: Baekhyun?

In a state of shock Baekhyun stared at the message. He hadn't expected Zhang Yixing to message him, after it all it had been a while since they last talked. Unsure of what to say he sent a simple reply.

Baekhyun: Yes

Yixing: Hey. I thought you changed your number

Baekhyun: Nope, it's the same. Is there something you need?

[Yixing is typing]

. . .

[Yixing is typing]

. . .

Yixing: Do you want to maybe meet up?

[Baekhyun read at 8:46pm]

[Baekhyun is typing]

. . .

Yixing: It's okay if you don't want to!

Yixing: I just need to be with someone right now

Baekhyun: Oh

[Yixing read at 8:49]

Baekhyun: Can you come to my house? This is the address

Yixing: I'm 5 minutes away, I'll see you soon

Baekhyun smiled.

★。、:*:。.:*:・'゜☆。.:*:・'゜★。、:*:。.:*:・'゜☆。.:*:・'゜★。、:*:。.:*:・'゜

People don't seem to like telling me whether they liked the chapter or not but I guess this is only the second one. Let me know!