Merry Christmas!

A Yoonmin Christmas

“No.”

 

“Yoongi, pretty pretty please?”

 

“No. You know how I feel about Christmas.”

 

“But I also know how you feel about me. You love me.

 

It was that time of year again. The time of year that always caused a heated debate between Jimin and his lover about what they would do, or whether they’d actually do anything special for the holiday season at all. With Yoongi being a major scrooge, the Grinch of all Grinches, it was difficult to get him even just a little bit hyped up for the festivities.

 

On the other hand, Jimin loved Christmas, it was his all time favorite holiday. The time when families and friends and (most) couples rejoiced and spent drinking hot chocolate and doing some good old fashioned holiday baking. The time spent binge watching Christmas movies and decorating a tree, listening to cheerful music and laughing together.

 

Currently, Jimin was trying to convince Yoongi to go with him to their friend Hoseok’s Christmas party. It was supposed to be the best one within a fifty mile radius. Complete with a white elephant gift exchange, a rockin’ potluck, and an ugly Christmas sweater contest, it was sure to be a little slice of heaven on Earth. The only thing that would make it even better is if the Grinch’s heart really would grow three sizes and show some holiday cheer.

 

“Just because I love you doesn’t mean I’m going.”

 

Jimin pouted, disappointed at the fact that for the umpteenth year in a row, his boyfriend wouldn’t be sharing the joy of the season with him.

 

“Fine. But just for your information, I’m extremely upset about it. I’ll be crying myself to sleep tonight, just so you know.” He said this in a faux whining tone, but really, he was only halfway kidding. He would legitimately be upset, but he didn’t want to actually cry over something so stupid. Even if it was something that repeatedly disappointed him.

 

But it was fine. It’s whatever.

 

Yoongi nodded slightly, not really paying any attention. He’d stopped really talking about this particular subject with his younger half a couple years ago. He knew that all of his threats to cry or be mad at him or fight him were all just empty. They were all just a ploy to try and get his way.

 

Frowning at the silence, Jimin slipped on his sweater and put on his glove. Picking up a gift bag in one hand and the car keys in the other, he only mumbled an “I love you” before exiting their shared apartment.

 

 


 

 

Jimin let himself into the house. He was a little early, which was perfect, because it gave him some extra time with his group of friends, who always arrived early. Entering, he marched straight to the dining room table. Every one else was already there. Jungkook and his boyfriend Taehyung, Seokjin and his on again, off again, and now on again, boyfriend Namjoon, and last but not least, Hoseok with his girlfriend, Nayeon.

 

Everyone was there. Everyone except Yoongi.

 

Jungkook waved at Jimin as soon as he entered the room.

 

“Hey! You’re late!” Taehyung pointed at the clock. “You were supposed to be here like a half hour ago.”

 

“Well, technically I’m still early.” Jimin took a seat between Hoseok and Jungkook and sighed. “And besides, I didn’t show up as early as I would have because I was trying to get Yoongi to come.”

 

Namjoon laughed out loud.

 

“Getting Yoongi to come to Christmas party is like trying to get a blind man to describe the color red.”

 

Jimin chuckled a little and agreed, even though the truth of it hurt his heart just a little bit. Or maybe a lot.

 

“I know that. It just . I wish he would be more enthusiastic about Christmas. I mean, it’s literally the most important day of the year to me.”

 

This time it was Taehyung who jumped in.

 

“We know that, and he knows that. But you just can’t force someone to get into the holiday spirit. And even if you could, what’s the point? I mean, it wouldn’t even feel genuine, right?”

 

“Oh my god, Taehyung, why would you say it like that?” Seokjin looked at Jimin. “Don’t listen to him, okay? He’s just a dork. Yoongi’ll come around some time. But for now, let’s just enjoy the company we have here, yeah?” He smiled small, trying to encourage Jimin.

 

“I guess so, yeah. I’ll just worry about the right now.” He flashed a small smile back at his hyung.

 

After that point, Jimin just didn’t really feel like participating in the conversation. He didn’t know what it was, but he was feeling extra down in the dumps this year. Maybe it was just all the couples happily together around him, or maybe it was just the accumulation of years of it being the same way it was now. Or maybe it was just because one of the bulbs in the lights to his sweater wasn’t working. Hell, he didn’t know.

 

Looking around, he noticed that the decorations were plentiful and immaculate as always. The tinsel was neatly hung up all around the room, white and red strands alternating, giving the effect of a peppermint candy cane, or something similar. Visible from the room was the living room, where the fireplace sat with two red, fluffy looking stockings, reading “Hoseok” and “Nayeon.” Above the fireplace hung a large wreath, a big red bow atop to compliment it.

 

The Christmas tree not only was tall, but Jimin was fairly certain it was a real tree. Which was surprising, for how perfect it looked. But, judging by the smell of evergreen and the pine needles scattered all across the tree skirt and the few presents under the tree, it had to be real. Colorful lights wrapped around the tree top to bottom, along with more tinsel, and a string of popcorn. Candy canes hung on many branches, all next to shiny looking ornaments of all different colors and all different amounts of sparkly. At the very top of the tree sat a golden star tree topper, with the very center adorned with a presumably fake jewel.

 

Jimin sighed. Yoongi never let him decorate this much. Sure, he was allowed to put up their (very small) stockings on the wall. And he was allowed a Christmas tree, granted it was plastic and less than two feet high. He didn’t know why Yoongi was so stubborn about not letting him decorate either. It wasn’t like he wanted him to help, and it wasn’t like it would hurt him at all. He claimed that a live tree would create too much of a mess, which Jimin knew to be true. But even when he begged and begged for one, even promising a hundred times over that he would do all of the cleaning up, Yoongi still said no.

 

“Oh. I think the guests are coming.” Nayeon smiled and got up from her seat. “Come on, babe. We gotta go greet them at the door if we want to be good hosts.”

 

Hoseok followed her as she ran off excitedly towards the door.

 

“Should we put on some Christmas music?” Taehyung asked.

 

“Already on it.” Jungkook grabbed the TV remote and was flipping through the music channels.


 

As the party went on, Jimin just seemed to find himself feeling worse. Everyone was socializing. All of the couples stuck right by their significant other’s side. People were kissing under the mistletoe, sharing gingerbread cookies, laughing together, or exchanging gifts with one another.

 

Meanwhile, Jimin was just sitting in the corner, moping. Whining to no one but himself about how alone he felt and how alone he shouldn’t feel because it’s a party that all of his closest friends are attending. Complaining about the unfairness of it all, about how he wishes Yoongi were there and upset with himself for being upset because dammit it’s Christmas Eve and he should be jolly as hell.

 

“And the winner of the Ugly Sweater Contest is… Park Jimin!”

 

He was broken from his depressing trance by the announcement.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Well, what are you waiting for? Get up here.”

 

Jimin was a little confused after not paying attention to much of anything since the party had officially started. Oh well. Apparently he’d won. Getting up, he made his way to the front of the living room. Once up there, Hoseok handed him a present, covered in bright green wrapping paper.
 

“Congratulations! Go ahead and open your gift!” Nayeon spoke with a twinkle in her eye, apparently excited to spread some happiness to someone else. He could see why her and Hoseok got along so well.

 

Obeying her orders, he carefully unwrapped the present. Inside the box was a bulky red scarf. Immediately, he thought it would be perfect for Yoongi, as he was always cold. The bigger the scarf, the better. Besides, he didn’t have a single one in red as of yet.

 

Jimin smiled at the couple hosting the party.

 

“Thank you. Merry Christmas, you two.”

 

 


 

 

Jimin left the party early. Even if Yoongi wasn’t going to really celebrate Christmas with him, he figured it would be better to cuddle with his boyfriend rather than spend time sitting in the corner alone, wishing he were cuddling with his boyfriend. Besides, he was eager to give the scarf to his lover.

 

When he opened the door, Yoongi was sitting at the table, in an oversized jacket along with a beanie and mittens.

 

“Hyung… Why are you all dressed-”

 

“There you are. It took you long enough to get home. Anyway, listen. I know you just got here, but we gotta go. There's something I want to show you.”

 

He sure seemed eager, too. The moment he stopped speaking he was already grabbing Jimin’s hand and leaving the apartment.
 

“What is it?”

 

“You’ll see, you’ll see.”

 

Jimin nodded. He looked at Yoongi, trying to guess where in the world they could be going on Christmas Eve. He didn’t know of many events going on tonight or many places open. Still, it didn’t really matter to him. He was with his boyfriend finally. He didn’t have to be lonely anymore tonight.

 

When he squeezed his hand, he noticed Yoongi shaking a little. Typical of him to be cold already, even though they’d only just now entered the elevator. They weren’t even outside yet.

“Oh! Yoongi! I got you something. I know you don’t like getting presents for Christmas, but…”

 

Jimin let go of his hand and reached into his bag. He dug around inside until he felt the soft fabric of the scarf. Taking it out, he faced Yoongi and wrapped it around his neck a few times. Smiling at him, he leaned in and placed a light kiss on his cheek.

“I thought it might be nice. Since you’re always cold and whatnot.”

 

And he smiled.

 

Min Yoongi actually smiled upon receiving a gift for Christmas. Was he dreaming?

 

“Thank you, Jiminie. I love it.” He came forward and kissed Jimin on the lips.

 

Jimin could only smile. He didn’t know why Yoongi was in such a good mood, but it wasn’t like he was complaining. In fact, he was downright overjoyed. It didn’t matter where they were going anymore. They could go to McDonald’s for sixty-nine cent ice cream cones and eat them in the blistering cold parking lot and he’d be happy, as long as he was with Yoongi.

 

 


 

 

Yoongi drove somewhere outside of the city limits, but Jimin didn’t quite know where. When they’d gotten close to somewhere that Jimin could see faint lights in the distance, Yoongi had made him close his eyes, and promise not to peek. As tempting as it was to not listen, Jimin followed orders anyway.

 

When they arrived, Yoongi helped him out of the car and lead him through the last little stretch of the journey that had to be spent walking.

 

Yoongi stopped.

 

“Before I let you see, I just want to apologize. I know how important Christmastime is to you, but I’ve always ignored it and not let you do anything fun. I’m sorry. I don’t like the holiday, but in order to make it up to you, firstly, I’m going to try to be more cheerful. I promise you that. And… secondly. Open your eyes.”

 

And when Jimin did, what he saw was absolutely breathtaking. A row of tall trees on either side of them, all illuminated by bright Christmas lights. He could see ahead that there were archways that were similarly lit, the only difference being that “Merry Christmas” was spelled out in red lights. Also in rows were plastic candy cane decorations that were staked into the ground. An assortment of other decorations littered the sides as well, containing anything from Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer to little snowmen and penguins, all the way to baby Jesus.

 

It was beautiful, and so unexpected of Yoongi.

 

“Yoongi- It’s gorgeous. How’d you find this place?”


“That’s irrelevant, Jiminie.” He had a wide smile on his face, happy to have made Jimin happy. “But start walking. There’s more, but I might freeze if we stay here.”

 

Jimin nodded, seemingly in a daze, before holding onto Yoongi’s hand and squeezing it tightly. He seemed like a small child who was just watching fireworks for the first time. He was looking up, down, and everywhere, amazed by just how much there was to look at, and amazed at how much effort it must’ve taken. As they walked down the path, they saw Santa’s sleigh, the other eight reindeer, a little train, and a few angels, all embellished not only by what must be millions of lights, but red ribbons and icicles everywhere.

 

At the very end of the holiday path, was a giant tree. As with everything else that night, there was no shortage of lighting. Colorful lights were strung all the way around the tree, with thousands of silver, gold, and red ornaments scattered around the entirety of it. Fake presents of all sizes enveloped the base of the tree, leaving the ground around it just an imaginary concept. The tree topper was a pure white angel, complete with wings that looked just as soft as the clouds themselves.

 

The snow feathering its way down to the ground only added to the utter beauty of the whole thing. Jimin actually began to tear up at the sight of it all.

 

But what really made the moment unforgettable was what happened next.

 

Yoongi stood in front of Jimin and dropped down to one knee and reached into his coat pocket, producing a small velvet box only seconds later. He carefully opened it to reveal a silver ring, detailed with little perfect designs left and right.

 

“Park Jimin… Will you do me the honor of making me the luckiest man in the world?”

 

Jimin’s tearing up from only seconds before had become him full on weeping.

 

“Oh, Yoongi..” He sniffled and wiped his eyes. “Yes… Yes. I’ll marry you.”

 

Jimin now dropped to his knees and hugged Yoongi tightly, crying into his shoulder.

 

“I love you, Yoongi… I love you so much.”

 

Yoongi only smiled and hugged back.

 

“I love you too, Jiminnie.”