Under the Mistletoe

Under The Mistletoe (A Jungkook One Shot)

Upon entering the tall and white building which you attend every year, an overload of paparazzi and interviewers ushered you through the door, asking for your attention at any given moment. You smiled and waved at a good amount of them only to keep their pestering to a minimum, but soon they all shifted their energy onto the next big name who had just walked in. Multiple mutually famous artists and singers greeted you along the way, exchanged some words with you and soon enough, you were back at square one and on your own. This is how you liked it anyway; you were never in it for the fame. You found yourself comfortable over by the snacks and desserts area, a place where you'd much rather be instead of the glorified limelight. But, something was off. The strange feeling of someone watching you overtook your senses.

What is that guy looking over here for? He stared at you from across the room, his sharp cat-like eyes piercing into you like knives as they scanned your confused face. You looked away nervously and then back again moments later, and to your surprise, he begun walking through the crowd in your direction, holding a glass of red wine in which he used to cut through the swarms of people. Christmas songs played and echoed throughout the ball room and your intricate dress felt heavy, but you didn't let that distract you. The heels you wore at your feet ached your entire body, but you were convinced that this was the one and only time you'd torture yourself to look good. At least now, you figured it would probably be worth it.

He smirked beautifully as he neared where you stood at the food stand, and when he finally made it over, all he said was, "Hello." You smiled and looked down, fumbling with the gold blingy clutch that you had been holding onto which contained all of your money for the night. "H-how do you do?" You nodded quickly, turning away from him slightly to appear uninterested.

"Fancy meeting you here," he conversed, pouring himself more wine, and proceeding to take a dainty sip while he watched you. "Uh... do..do I know you?" You asked while grabbing a red velvet cupcake off of a nearby tray. As you the icing carefully so you wouldn't dirty your face with it, he gave you an eye smile and set his glass down. "No, but I would like to get to know you, if you don't mind of course," he stated respectfully as he the wine from his lips, continuing to keep his distance.

After that proposal, your eyes widened and you finished eating the icing from the cupcake, and grabbed a napkin to place the remains of it in. "Look, I'm not that easy," you posed in a flat tone. "I came here for the food and decor. I'm not one of those," you sassed, and with that walked past him, being sure to bump his arm the slightest bit on your way. The scent of your perfume drew his gaze to you all the while you ascended to the top floor of the mansion, up to the balcony which oversaw the lake and night sky. He was quite the looker, but you weren't sure if giving in to a stranger just because of his looks would be the best thing to do tonight.

Your red satin dress draped all around you like a rose bud, flowing in the warm breeze through the white rails of the terrace; an open, bright area made of fine marble and detailed with silver trim. This party was one of the best thrown yearly in town before New Years, one that only the best of names are present. The theme was usually a mix of Christmas and New Years, because half of the party is spent on December 31st, and the second half on January 1st. You are a famous painter, one that submits realistic recreations of presidents, celebrities and sceneries of palaces, nature, and animals. Your works have been placed in museums all over the world, and yet you obtained all of the humble minds in the world put together, for sometimes you even forgot who you apparently were in society.

Your eyes sparkled in the moonlight as it shown down on your dewy skin, eyelashes batting and your hair done up gracefully. Granted, you had one of your friends style it for you beforehand, but it suited you well. You held your arms tightly, your elbows rested on the stone rail, your breathing slowed peacefully and you viewed the beautiful sight below you.

The lake swayed in perfect harmony with the wind and trees, and the Christmas lights wrapped around the pines, reflecting onto the dark and mysterious water below them. Newcomers walked arm in arm with their lovers, laughing and smiling as the Christmas music blasted through the front doors of the gigantic place. You could still hear it from where you stood, a symphony of Jingle Bells played by the orchestra and band emitted beautifully for the world to listen.

After a while of standing, your feet couldn't take the pain any longer, and so you had no other choice but to remove your shoes, in which you set side by side against the balcony, relatively far from the opening so that they wouldn't accidentally fall through. Now you felt the most comfortable you had been this whole night, and begun star gazing. The big dipper and it's smaller companion stood out like a connect the dots drawing, and you placed your hand on your cheek, admiring the twinkling lights of space. All of a sudden, the sound of heels against the floor caused you to turn around startled.

It was him; the stranger you met downstairs. You immediately turned back around and puffed out an irritated breath. "Are you following me?" You asked. He laughed, walking over to lean his elbows against the balcony beside you. "No, not at all," He responded with a smile, a slightly buzzed shade of pink on his cheeks. "Suppose you had the same idea as I." You rolled your eyes, turning away from him. "Right... Anyway, who are you? I have never seem you before in my life," you accused, squinting your eyes at him through the dim lighting.

"Why, I'm Jeon Jungkook, finest cello player in town. You heard me a while ago, did you not?" Your eyes left his and the squint faded. Oh my... A cello player"Really? I.. Yes I think I did! You sounded.. Really great," you complimented, once again facing the front while you bit your lip; you felt awkward for being nice to someone you've never met before. "Oh thank you, I appreciate it," he smiled, flipping his gorgeous brown hair and looking out into the night like you were.

"The stars look lovely tonight don't they?" He questioned, still examining the sky. "They do," you responded, taking a look at him out of the corner of your eye. Your hands continued to hold your arms in comfort. "Well I have to say, not as lovely as you, Miss..." He begun, watching you intently. "Y/N," you responded with a shy smile and bold eye contact. "Y/N.. Huh. A lovely name to match the owner," he flirted secretively, sending you a wink. You laughed nervously, looking away and down to your shoes. "I.. I think I have to go.." You stated some moments later, beginning to reach down to retrieve the pair.

Quick as lightning, Jungkook's hand swooped down and grabbed your wrist, preventing your arm from moving. "Hey! What are you doing? Get off of me! Do you even know who I am?" You asked angrily, ripping out of his grip and soothing your wrist. "Actually, I do. Your work is amazing... I-I apologize," he stated in a monotone voice, readjusting his watch with a sultry expression. You shook your head in further disapproval and finally bent down to retrieve your shoes, slipping them back on. Why would he ask for your name if he already knew who you were? "I really must go." You begun to walk quickly past him, but he suddenly wrapped his arm tightly around your waist despite your struggling.

"Let us dance," he hummed, right before a slow song played from the bottom floor, carrying up harmonically onto the balcony. The orchestra played once more, but one little thing was missing. "No! You have to go down there and play! They'll be wondering where you are! You can't be up he-" you rambled worriedly, in which he only placed a soft finger to your red stained lips. "Shh, it's alright. They have two other cello players."

"But you're the best!" You exclaimed, moving his finger away from your mouth. He chuckled arrogantly. "Yes, I am the best," he smiled while looking down at your face, for he was much taller than you, and your waist still in his arms. You examined your torsos which were awfully close, and nervously began to sweat. "Look, I.. Don't know what you're doing," you say, pushing his hand away from your body, in which he objected by grabbing your hand and intertwining your fingers in his. "It isn't so bad, dancing with a stranger.. Is it?" He asked softly, cocking his head to the right slightly, and using his other hand to brush the hair away from your neck, revealing a delicate, sparkling diamond necklace.

"Wow, you're so beautiful Y/N. Why haven't I met you before?" He says, exasperating dramatically. "Hey.. Stop it," you blush, looking down at the two of your hands as you danced slowly to the music. The more you moved, the closer he became and eventually you could hear his heartbeat synch with yours, his glass-like eyes and soft features gazing down at you intently. Now looking at him up close, he was a lot more beautiful than just good looking. And that.. That scar that sat prominent on his cheek in the moonlight only added to his character. Yes, why haven't I met him before?

"Tell me, why did you approach me downstairs?" You asked, furrowed brows and pouting lips. "Well, where do I begin?" He smiled, looking off into oblivion. "Your poise and grace, your talent.. and beauty, you shone like a star Y/N." You tried to keep a straight face, but eventually ended up burying your head in his chest as you laughed. "That was the cheesiest thing I've ever heard, Jungkook! I... I asked a serious question," you continued, the smile fading as you read into his eyes. "I'm serious. That is the reason why," he responded, brushing his fingertips across your cheek as the music came to a peak, and leaned you over a bit, a strong hand cupping the small of your back.

He leaned in slightly, his pink lips craving yours and a lusty look in his eyes, following the trace of your jawline and collar bones. As he picked you back up, your ankle twisted uncomfortably and you yelped a small cry of pain, in which he responded to with an expression of worry. "A-are you alright? What's wrong?" He searched you, finding no trace of injury. You flinched as you reached down and gestured toward your foot. "M-my ankle... These shoes.." You explained, holding onto his shoulders for support. "Take them off," he stated, staring into your eyes intensely. His hair swept across his eyelids gently.

You hesitated and were close to saying something, but couldn't get the words to come out. "It's alright. Who needs those fancy heels anyway," he smiled kindly, helping you to remove them. He set them down again since the music had ended, and crickets could be heard faintly in the background. The dancing subsided, and he continued looking deeply into your eyes. Your breathing quickened and your nails dug into your palms anxiously, never lifting your gaze from his.

Soon enough, he had you up against the balcony rail, holding the back of your neck while his other hand trailed along your arm. He leaned in once again, the air from his nose tickling your cheek, and out of excitement, your foot raised from behind you, and knocked a sparkling heel through the rails of the balcony and down towards the grass below, about ten feet down.

"My shoe!" You yelled, leaning over the rail to watch it trickle south like cascading rocks down a mountainside. "I'll go get it for you! Just a moment!" Jungkook exclaimed heroically, running quickly out of sight. You continued watching your shoe which was now laying on it's side as a small speck on the earth, until the sound of trumpets rang loudly, creating a tune which meant it was time for the end of year ceremony. You couldn't miss this.

Your poor under-pressure choice making forced your foot into the one heel left, and scurried back into the building, and you begun walking down the incredibly long and wide spiral staircase to the first floor in a limp. What..Being completely barefoot was uncivil.

As you had figured, the entire population of Newlton's Christmas and New Years party were packed in the ball room, leaving barely an inch of room for someone to stand. You squeezed your way through hundreds of people to get to the front, for your name would be called momentarily to retrieve an award for your accomplishments this year.

Once you made it to the center stage where the orchestra were sitting behind about three people introducing the ceremony, you noticed the empty spot that Jungkook should've been sitting in. The musicians all mumbled to one another as soon as they saw you. Attempting to brush the drama off, your eyes shifted from them to the speaker holding a microphone.

"This year, we are glad to end the Christmas gala on a spectacular note, for we have some of the most talented members of our town and state here with us today, to receive their New Years awards!" With that said, the whole crowd begun cheering, yelling and screaming loudly, in which you slyly muffled one ear because of it. The man begun listing various names, and one by one, people walked up onto the stage to retrieve their awards and say their speeches, which continued on like that for about 5 minutes. Then suddenly, your name was called, and the introduction went like so:

"The beautiful, famous artist and photographer for anyone who's anyone in [insert country here], with her delicate hand, she brings to life the wonders of the world! Selling out her tickets to the most museums in Paris, Belgium and Greece, and setting the country's record for most impressionistic artwork... Y/N!" The crowd went wild once more, all clapping for you as you got up from your seat. "Make your way up please!" The energetic man invited, waving you over. Your anxiety kicked in as you realized about 4,000 people would have their eyes laid on you for more than a minute at max, and the fact that you lacked a shoe on your left foot didn't make matters better. However, that didn't stop you from showcasing charm and elegance while you ascended the small three steps which led to the top of the stage.

You smiled beamingly and were handed your trophy, nodding in courtesy to the man handing it over, and he clapped along with the mass of people. You cleared your throat quietly as you scanned the area, making eye contact with a few attendees.

"First off, I would like to thank you all for this award, it means the world to me, to know that what I do is appreciated and valued. The art I create is only my hopes of inspiring others and my wish goes to you all, to find what makes you happy. Let this New Year inspire us to do even better things. Thank you!" you concluded, smiling and waving out at the crazy mass of people and flashing lights, waiting a few moments for the photographers to take their shots.

Then, catching you by surprise, a tug at the end of your long dress caught your attention, and you sneakily looked down without moving your head, in which you saw Jungkook secretly holding your shoe in the nape of his arm. Your eyes shot wide open, and you stuck your foot out, in which he complied and placed it on for you. He winked and shot you a devilish smile before disappearing into the crowd, and you became flustered in response. The time you had in stage ended, and so you made your way down the steps again, your twisted ankle still in slight pain.

Once you made it back down and had seated yourself once again, you tried your best to look for Jungkook without being obvious, such as shielding your eyes against the bright spotlights from up above and pretending to stretch when really you were searching the crowd of heads for his particularly shiny brown hair. But to no alas, you couldn't seem to find him.

Pretty soon you gave up and decided to just focus on the rest of the ceremony until everyone had been announced and all of the awards had been given out. After everyone disbanded and headed their own separate ways, it was only about 11 minutes until the New Years celebration was to officially begin, and the bar was already stocking their wines and alcohols in the glass cases behind the counter, prepping for an endless night of New Years shenanigans.

You wandered away from the swarm of people and walked over to the giant windows overlooking the front lawn with the lake and trees, watching everything at once with tired eyes. Time ticked by the minute and the closer it came to 12, the louder everyone became, and you started to search for Jungkook once again, even if you figured he would be gone by now. Serves me right for thinking there would actually be anything between us after only a couple of hours.

You began walking towards the two tall front doors of the mansion leading outside, but just as you were about to open the door, someone grabbed your hand. You turned around and saw him, Jungkook, standing before you with a smile on his face and a gleam in his eyes. "I found you just in time," he breathed, seeming as if he had just ran over to you. "Just in time for what-" you began to ask, but before you could finish your question, he pulled you back through the crowd of people, manoeuvering left and right, making sure to never let go of you. Finally, he stopped and drew you close. The countdown started at 5, and the timer continued decelerating by the second. He smiled widely and held both of your hands tightly, acting jittery as if he knew something that you didn't. "Why are we all the way over here?" You asked with a grin and slightly nervous laugh, looking around you warily.

When the timer hit the number 2, he mumbled "look up," and behold, a giant mistletoe chandelier hung from the ceiling, and your mind went absolutely blank with terror, not even being able to mutter anything other than "oh my God." After you looked back down at Jungkook, the countdown ended and the number 0 rang out as the buzzer went wild. The entire ball room roared to life and glass clinks could be heard from all directions, fireworks began to pop in the distance, and the entire room lit up like one itself. You smiled widely as you took in all of the excitement in the building.

"Happy New Years Y/N!" Jungkook yelled over the noise of everyone, and finally, he pulled you close to where your noses were barely touching. After a moment, you pulled him in and kissed him passionately, the sound of happiness ringing in your ears all the while you held onto him for dear life. The start of a New Year disguised as the start of a new relationship dwindled into the night as the two of you shared stories and wine, and after tonight, it didn't seem so bad after all.