Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas [Holiday Drabble 01]

A Christmas classic sounds softly throughout your temporary home for this Christmas Eve. The cabin—something straight out of a vacation catalog—is modest and homey, with the kind of warm lighting that perfectly suits the crackling fireplace and rustic furnishings.

Two sets of winter boots and jackets sit by the entryway, drying from their adventure into the snowy world outside several hours before. The chill from that outing has long since faded, but the breathless memories of snowmen and icy kisses will be there always.

“What are you thinking about?” The low voice beside you pulls you out of the trance that memories and the sight of flames had lulled you into. You shift your position on the overstuffed loveseat to meet your boyfriend’s thoughtful gaze.

His question repeats in your mind, but you can’t find a word to express what exactly you had been thinking about just seconds ago; in hopes of buying time for a reply, you let yourself stare freely at the man across from you.

His thick framed glasses sit a little crooked on his nose and his now chestnut colored hair still sticks up in wild tufts from the hat he had worn. A book sits in his grasp, but he seems to have moved on to watching you instead.

“I’m not sure,” you admit, “I was just thinking about everything I guess.” You pick up your mug of tea and move to sit beside him on the larger couch. The two of you had been sitting by yourselves, doing your own things and just enjoying the tranquil atmosphere, but the sight of him in his heavy-knit sweater in the flickering light of the fire is too inviting to resist.

You curl up against his side, tucking your sock-clad feet into the gap between the couch and his thigh. Resting your head against his shoulder you say, “I was just thinking about how nice this is. I didn’t realize how much we needed to get away from all the hustle of the city.”

“Funny, I was thinking the same thing.” The smile on Namjoon’s face is obvious in his voice as he fully abandons his book to curl an arm around your shoulders and pull you closer to his side.

“You don’t realize how loud the city is until the noise is just gone.” He continues after a thoughtful moment. “I’m glad we decided to take this trip.”

“Me too.” You shift so you can see his face and smile, “I guess we should both thank my very thoughtful boyfriend for planning the whole thing.”

“Oh? And how do you think we should thank him?” Namjoon plays along.

“Hmm…I thought the tea was a nice start.” You glance at the two mugs on the nearby coffee table.

“Yes, the tea was definitely a good start.” You catch his eyes falling to your lips as he speaks his next words. “Anything else?”

“Well, I guess he might deserve a kiss.” And with that you lean up to place a feather-light kiss to Namjoon’s lips.

“Maybe two.” You add, repeating the action with a smile.

“Y/N?” Namjoon asks when you pull away the second time.

“Yes?”

“Thank you for coming here with me.” Namjoon’s ears are tipped red, but before you can seize the opportunity to , he glances up at the clock over the mantle. His lips quirk. “Oh, and Merry Chrstmas.”

Just then, the clock begins to toll.

You laugh at how pleased he seems to be with the timing. “Namjoon?”

“Yes?”

“There’s nowhere else I would rather be.” You lean up again, kissing his cheek this time. “Merry Christmas.”