Final

Annual Christmas Gathering
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's almost noon, the weather outside is freezing, nothing unusual for a December day, it's the Christmas Eve and no snow outside.

 

A phone rings.

 

"Yes mum, I'll get there in time, don't worry, yes mum, I know the Kims will be there too, I promise I won't be late" Yoonoh finally lifts from his bed.

 

Today he needs to travel to his grandmother's house for the usual Christmas party his grandma organizes every year. He's university freshman and he hasn't been there since last Christmas.

 

He grabs a snack, throws few clothes in a bag, in the end, he doesn't want to spend too much time there, he only needs to greet his grandma and the Kim family, have a few drinks and then he can put up to some excuse and come back.

 

He throws his bag into the car and starts off his road, boosting the music up, to reduce the boringness of driving alone and anxiety.

 

He reaches his grandma's hometown, stopping his car to get down and take a breath of the nice air, closing his eyes, memories strolling along, he shades a smile at them and gets back to the car.

 

Too distracted from his childhood memories he forgets to start his engine, someone furiously honking him to move his car, the other car manages to pass by, the driver probably cursing at him, Yoonoh only manages to see that the driver is wearing sunglasses ‘, who the even wears sunglasses in the winter’ he spits over his window and starts his car stopping it only when reaching grandma's house.

 

"Ohh, my grandson, my handsome boy, grandma missed you so much!" He goes straight to his grandmother's embrace, so pleasantly surprised over how she bears the same scent after all these years, the scent that puts him to peace.

 

"Grandma, you made rice cakes? I love you so much, you're the best!" He hugs tighter then following the scent of rice cakes floating around, he goes straight to the kitchen.

 

"Yoonoh, son, come here, you made it in time, come help me with this." His mother hugs him placing a plate on his hand in order to help with the preparations for the guests.

 

"Oh, son, I am so sorry I coul-"

 

"Couldn’t offer you a brother, come on mum, I've lived 19 years just fine." He cuts in, already knowing the set phrase his mother is always telling him when she asks him to do something that might bother him.

 

"But the Kim's."

 

"I am just glad I don't have to share you with anyone." He gives his mother a reassuring hug and a kiss on the temple.

 

Soon the table is ready, and the guests are about to come as well, Yoonoh breathes trying to steady his anxiety, first guests to arrive are his aunts, uncles and little cousins Jeno and Jaemin.

 

He looks surprised, they grew up a lot since last year, but that's what puberty does, not for Yoonoh though, he grew taller in the last year, until then he was just a shrimp and looked like a middle-scholar throughout the whole high school, making him miss a lot of things such as dating one of his crushes, or at least having someone noticing him.

 

 

He plays along with his cousins, while the adult males are drinking in the living room and the women changing gossips around the stove. The doorbell rings, his mother opens the door and he thinks that the Kims are probably there "Yoonoh, please come here, Donghyun's grandma wants to see you."

 

He feels relieved spotting the old lady alone in the lobby, thinking that maybe he is lucky enough to have her come alone. She drags him into a hug "You grew up so much Yoonoh." Then she pats his , and just when she does it, the whole Kim family finally stands in their lobby, witnessing his major embarrassment.

 

"Ohh, Yoonoh, you did grow taller!" To his relief, it's the Kims and their oldest son, Donghyun.

 

"Hyung, welcome!"

 

"More handsome too." He continues ruffling his hair, wearing his specific warm smile.

 

"Dongyoung is going to be here later, please excuse him, he was too tired from his drive and we let him sleep a bit over, he's taking a shower and heads here." Their mother explains.

 

Yoonoh is left the job of a waiter,  as always, he follows around his mother’s instructions 'there's no wine left there, please help me', 'there's no japchae in that plate, here, place some more' he is tired, but soon, soon he will find the right time to throw his excuse and leave straight back to Seoul.

 

He finds a gap and rushes to the bathroom, his bladder almost exploding from how long he’s kept it. Once he's out he is put back to work his grandma placing a plate with rice cakes into his hand to take them where the boys are, he brushes his hands dry on his sweater, takes a rice cake into his mouth and heads with the plate towards the other boys.

 

"Look what the cat drags in, Jaehyun, long time no see, you changed a lot!" And there he stands, the reason of his anxiety, tall, long-legged, broad-shouldered, the handsome, perfect Kim Dongyoung.

 

"Hello, hyung, welcome!" He says extending the plate for Dongyoung to pick up from it, but the other almost misses to catch any rice cake as he stares at Yoonoh.

 

"Dongyoung, you're the only one that still calls him that way." Donghyun protests.

 

"What? Suits him better, he has a Jaehyun face, not a Yoonoh face."

 

“Tsk don't diss your hyung." And here they are again, Yoonoh laughs but on the inside, he is burning, Dongyoung looks even more glamorous since he's wearing a pair of branded sunglasses.

 

"Remove those, we're inside." Donghyun extends his hands to throw the sunglasses off Dongyoung’s face.

 

"OK, fine!" The younger brother, irritated removes his glasses and Yoonoh wants to run away in the Himalayas and never come back because he can't bear to look properly into those gleaming doe eyes.

 

The time flies, Donghyun entertains them with good jokes, while they play cards in a room separate from the elders, after they ate, Yoonoh can't lie he likes Donghyun's company, but he can't help about feeling jittery because of the other brother's presence, his childhood crush he never really got over and he is probably starring now, somehow forgetting to go back and throw the lame excuse and rush back home.

 

He’ll just wait just a little bit more, in the end, he hasn’t seen Dongyoung in a year and now that it struck him how hot good the other looks, is like his brain went dead and all the over-rehearsed excuse left as well.

 

"Now, say Jaehyun, you've changed a lot, how's dating?" Dongyoung asks and he feels something stuck up in his throat, and internally curses at his inability to function normally around him, he clears his throat.

 

"Fine, just as any freshman."

 

"Eii, what are you saying, look at you now, girls must be swarming around you." Donghyun says.

 

"Young, just call him Yoo-noh, I think he feels uncomfortable with Jaehyun, no one calls him that anymore, besides you." Dongyoung rolls his eyes, and this is how time flies and he thinks maybe spending here one more day, wouldn't hurt, and the better if Dongyoung stays as well.

 

Yoonoh doesn’t mind it at all, the fact that Dongyoung is the only one to call him by his birth name, not the name his mum changed so that it could be written in hanja, not mentioning how he always shivers at how this name rolls on the older boy’s tongue.

 

"For how long are you here?" He asks but no particular brother.

 

"I will leave in three days, probably Dongyoung too." Dongyoung nods.

 

"Yeah, I have some things left to do here, hey, I was wondering if that girl you played with, what was her name, Ya-yo-"

 

"Yeri."

 

"Yes,  her, I was wondering how is she looking like now, she used to be such a cutie.” Yoonoh raises his shoulders, now he regrets not having left, it is a bit late and he's tired from all the work and now he has to deal with Dongyoung’s unforgotten crush Yeri.

 

Yoonoh played with her when they were kids a lot, but he took a big dislike on her after Dongyoung told him he likes her.

 

At that time Yoonoh was too young, not experiencing yet any kind of love feeling besides the love he felt for his parents, so he naturally asked Dongyoung to elaborate what ‘like’ supposed to mean, and after Dongyoung explained him how things go when liking someone it struck him hard, because he himself had the same sort of liking towards the older boy.

 

The guests leave, the only ones left in the house are his parents and grandma, he sleeps on the living room couch, but something doesn't let him quite sleep, and that something is Dongyoung. Curse whatever fate of his for letting him attend this year.

 

 

 

Yoonoh groans in the morning, he's awakened by his mother that excitedly tells him to get up because it snowed so much like it hadn't in years.

 

"What? Snowed, a lot!?" He says in a hoarse voice forcing himself up walking in zigzag to the window to see a feet tall layer of snow as he can span with his eyes "No-nononono, mum, this can't be, tell me they will remove the snow from the street."

 

"Most probably, but why don't you stay more? Grandma will be happy."

 

"I have to go back mom!"

 

"Oh, look, Kim brothers!" His mother tells him and he sees Dongyoung and Donghyun with thick coats, gloves and beanies, he takes his coat and gets out as well.

 

"What's going on aren't they removing the snow from the street?" He asks and Dongyoung snarls.

 

"We're stuck, an idiot parked his car like a and the vehicle can't pass without scratching it, stupid ard, I wonder if he s as bad as he parks!" An infuriated Dongyoung over-gesticulates as he explains.

 

"Dongyoung, watch your words, Yoonoh is still young!"

 

"Hyung, is not like he doesn't know this stuff, right Jaehyun, is not like you're or something like that." Yoonoh's face turns red and does his best to avoid this discussion, then he remembers about his car, he left his car at the street entrance.

 

"Where did you say is that car left?" He asks thinking it's impossible to be his.

 

"That way, I think it's the same jerk that made me get late.” Dongyoung says pointing towards the street entrance and Yoonoh starts running.

 

"Yoonoh where are you going, you're still in your pj's!" Donghyun shouts after Yoonoh that rides the snowdrifts.

 

"Don't tell me you're the jerk!"

 

"Dongyoung hyung not now!"

 

 "Oh for 's sake, who taught you how to park? And yeah about the earlier with, you know, I think I am sorry?" Yoonoh looks furious towards his direction.

 

"I guess we'll be stuck here for a few days at least, look." Donghyun says.

 

"Hyung, don't say this please!" Yoonoh is close to despair looking at Donghyun's app that shows it will snow for 2 days straight, he puts his hands on his head and crotches down.

 

"Yoonoh, let's hang out for the time we stay, it will be fun, like old times, huh, what do you think?" Yoonoh nods, but in fact he wants to die, he had the perfect plan but it was destroyed by nature, now he has to stay here and moreover around Dongyoung and pretend his heart doesn’t skip a beat, that his insides are not burning whenever the other laughs, and that he isn't as in love as he used to be.

 

He gets back inside the house, at hearing about Yoonoh's stay his grandma excitedly went to prepare the attic for him to play and sleep there with Kim brothers like in old times.

 

“Yoonoh, make grandma happy and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter