Prologue

Faded
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Prologue~

 

            It is everywhere. The library, cafe, rooms, balcony, hallways, staircase and even the toilets. They did it everywhere. The organization itself consists of 113 of teenagers ranged from 15 years old to 18 years old; should not it be filled with laughter, problems, screams, curses and parties. But, it is different here, all of them either stuck to a book, to a new experiment, a new technology or to a computer monitor. There are no talks, no friendship, and no emotions; basically all of them are just a bunch of geniuses.

            Year 2079, it has been two years that the apocalypse started. One night, the ground suddenly shook with all it might, poured out creatures; disfigured, alienated form of lives. Those creatures became the predators while the human became a source for them; the foods. Thus, stressed to the brink, millions of lives lost unattended, the Death Dealers appeared when the world thought that there is no more hope. Using the remnants, the human build themselves a wall, surrounding themselves with the protection of the fighters.

            No one knows who they are, no one ever asked of their origin. The death dealer is a team of 27 young men. They fight skilfully, without fear and it seems like they are invisible to the monsters. With that, the people feel safe; secured to sleep at night. However, that is not what The Pioneer thinks. They think that the world need much more from that. Intelligence, skills, a new civilization that will never rain down the catastrophes upon themselves, those are the new feet of the world.

            Dr. Rein Stockholm, a scientist, a surgeon that has been with The Pioneer for ten years. At first of the organization establishment, it was all about organ transplant, saving life and synthetic organs construction. However, two months after the apocalypse, the administration had a change of authorities; all of the noble causes are forgotten. Now, it is all about surviving, picking out the best from the rest, exterminating the unneeded. But, it is not what the latter think is important because until today, he just had enough.

            “Are you crazy?!” His assistant, Dr. Lim whispered. There are guards coming their way, the alarms are blaring since 10 seconds ago. “The guards are coming, they’re going kill us!”

            Dr. Rein paid no heed to the complaints. His hands are fast with the tubes, the wires that are pierced into the boy’s body. He heard a grunt from the boy when he pulled a needle out of his median cubital vein and felt a bit of relief that the boy is alive. He needs to do this fast, he needs to make sure that the boy will make it out of the centre safely. Ignoring his panicking assistant, he tried to get the boy onto his feet, dragged him towards the back exit.

            From the end of the hallway which is now lighten up with dizzying red lights; Dr. Rein can hear the footsteps approaching. Instead of dreading into the situation, the doctor guides the boy through the exit door, and ran until they are just a meter away from the exit gate. He pulled off his jacket; the trembling body is now covered with the thick fabric.

            Still having his mind clouded with anaesthetic from the surgery he just had, he almost fell to the ground, but Rein did not allow it. The guards are approaching, and he knew he has to let the boy away at this instant. He cupped the face, the small facade with half lidded eyes looked at him in dilemma.

            “Listen!” Rein tried to gain the utmost focus he can from the boy. “Listen to me F115!” He tried again, shaking the small frame in his hands. The supposed F115 fluttered his heavy eyes open, his breath hitched as he tried to stay conscious. He cannot really grasp the situation he is in plus, his new heart has just started beating again.

            “You have to go away from here.” Rein shakes the body again. This time he received a small nod from the pale, weak boy. “Ryeo, you have to remember this. 15 kilometres north from here is a train station, get into a train, get off at the Section 13 and keep going north until you find the death dealer. Go to the death dealer and tell them everything! Do you understand?!”

            The boy exhaled a heavy breath, his heart and head throbs from all the commotion of the moment. He shook his head however, he really did not understand what is happening, and why is it that Dr. Rein is this frantic right now. “W-W-What is e-e-everything?” Confusion latched within his words.

            Rein gritted his teeth; his ears caught the sound of the gunshots and Dr. Lim pained curses. “Look, just go to them and be safe!” He finished; shoving the boy out of the exit door. The boy fell to the ground but slowly, he stood up again as he looks back onto the panic face of Dr. Rein. “Be safe! Go now!”

            Hearing to another gunshot, the boy perplexed from where he stood, his brain quickly commanded his feet to run. He hesitated, but another word from Dr. Rein had him made up his mind and disregarding the pain he is in at the moment, he ran as fast as he could, leaving the secluded building. He wanted to turn around, his guts telling him that Dr. Rein is in serious danger but now it is also the doctor’s wish for him to go to the death dealer.

            “15 kilometres, train, Section 13, north, death dealer.” He repeated. “Be safe. Death dealer.” Coughing, he keeps running, walking, falling and running again until he reached a street light. Ryeowook looked up to the dark sky; he grimaced at the stink air he has to inhale. Eleven years ago, is the air was always this thick? The sting at his chest escalated, causing him to mumble some incoherent words. “What happened when I was in there?” The 18 years old boy asked himself, sliding down the street light when a train passed by in front of him.

.................................

            Park Jungsoo also known as Leeteuk, the capable leader of the team fixes his glass that slid down to his nose. He sighs as he took in the soothing smell of the hair clumped on his face, belong to his beloved; Kim Heechul. He has always likes it when Heechul decided to use the lemon scented shampoo and Heechul also knows of his obsession. Not that he cares of it; Heechul also likes the scent and being with Leeteuk like this is his favourite moment in his entire life. But, that is just not what everyone thinks when the channel they are watching was suddenly switched to a gag show.

            “Damn, who the —” Heechul cursed under his breath at the same time his hand picked up a cushion and was ready to be thrown. Only after he sees Eunhyuk came in with a bowl of chips that he grinned; quickly getting up to join the feast. Leeteuk rolled his eyes under the glasses; he restrained himself from complaining for the lost of the heat.

            “It is weekend and you are watching a ed up love drama? Come on, it’s twelve and we need laughter.” Eunhyuk scowled over the choice and regretted it right away when he is slapped by a cushion from Leeteuk’s hand. He pouted, looking at Heechul who only interested in the chips, looking for a duck shaped chips like he usually does.

            “You are just jealous.” Leeteuk grumbled, his voice still sounds calm under the circumstances.

            “Donghae is away on a nightwalk and you just can’t handle the ual depression.” Heechul continued.

            Leeteuk chuckled over the statement; agreeing to his boyfriend. Everyone in the team knows how ually active Eunhyuk is and without Donghae, Eunhyuk will turn into a depressed puppy. Due to that, for a small revenge, Eunhyuk snatched the duck shaped chip away from Heechul and eat it without any remorse.

            Heechul’s expression changed in a flash. From being composed to a wrath of a demon, he looked at the smiling Eunhyuk as death guided him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter