A Watch

Father's Watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CirbEIp6vuw

 

Sungyeol was seeing laughing faces of his dad, mom and little brother. He smiled. It had been a while he spent time with his family. He was always busy with his job, he didn’t have time to visit them. But finally he had, and it was today. He was free and he quickly decided to visit his family. Besides, today was his birthday. He didn’t want to celebrate it alone. Oh, he could celebrate it with his partners and other friends, but they already had their own plans for today. He could ask them to come to his house and celebrated it together with his family. But he didn’t do it.
The dinner was over, the cake was cut, candles were blown up. Sungyeol did have great time with his family. He never felt so happy like this before. Daeyeol was helping their Mom with the dishes as Sungyeol walked to the balcony. He looked up at the sky. He breathed in and breathed out. He’s 23 now. Time passed so fast. He remembered when he stood up in this balcony when he’s still in high school. He always liked to come to this balcony and saw the city’s view. He spent much time in this balcony to think and do many things, such as reading comics and doing homework. This balcony is his favorite spot in his house after his room.
When he thought about high school, there was something that always made him worried. And it somehow made him hard to breathe.
“Hey son, what are you thinking about?” Sungyeol heard his dad’s voice. Sungyeol turned around and saw his dad stepped closer to him.
“Nothing, Dad.” Sungyeol forced a smile, but it looked weird in his dad’s eyes.
“You can’t lie to your daddy~” his dad sang. He patted Sungyeol’s shoulder. “I know you just think about something. You know, son, I always know it if my sons have problems.” He smiled. Sungyeol was a bit embarrassed his dad find out. He took a deep breath.
“I know you like to come to this balcony. Whenever you come to this house, you always come to this balcony after you go to your room. Am I right?” his dad asked. Sungyeol just smiled.
“Dad’s right.” He said.
His dad smiled. “So what’s your problem?”
Sungyeol was just silent. Should he tell his dad about it? His dad waited for his answer, but he was still silent. His dad smiled and patted his son’s shoulder. Then his dad took something from his pocket.
“Here, son. I have something for you.” he handed Sungyeol an old-fashioned watch. Sungyeol’s eyes widened. This watch, it looked so old and it could be broken anytime. It was rust-colored. Sungyeol looked down at the needles. They didn’t work. Oh my. Ah, actually it had some needles and circles. One circle showed minutes and seconds, and another one showed year, month and day. Sungyeol was pretty sure that this watch was already broken. It didn’t work. Sungyeol looked up at his smiling dad.
Why did dad give this old watch to me?
“This’ my present for your birthday, son. Hope you like it.” Dad patted Sungyeol’s shoulder once again before he walked to the kitchen.
Sungyeol furrowed eyebrows. Should I wear this watch? He thought. I should save it, not wear it. He was still curious why his dad gave him this watch. He couldn’t protest and refused it. His dad rarely gave him presents. And today, in his birthday, his dad gave him something. Sungyeol must be grateful about this. Sungyeol shrugged as he started to look at the watch carefully. Maybe its batteries have been broken so it can’t be used? Sungyeol thought. He looked at the back of the watch. It seemed hard to open the back and saw the batteries. Sungyeol didn’t want to waste time just to open it, so he turned the watch. He looked down at the old-fashioned watch once again. There was a knob on the right side of it. It’s for setting the needles, right?
Sungyeol then pulled it. Yes, it was for setting the needles. Even it was broken, at least I can set it into the right time, he thought. He then glanced at the clock on the wall, and then he turned the knob of the watch. When Sungyeol was about to set the year, he stopped. He gazed at the year row quite long. Nothing happens if I set the wrong year, right? This watch doesn’t work yet.
He then set the year to 5 years ago.
And then everything around him was blurry.
“Yah Sungyeol, what are you doing here?” Sungyeol heard a voice from his back. That voice is so familiar. But no way, the owner of that voice couldn’t be here, he thought.
“Yah, why are you still here?” that voice now became clear, just because the owner had already standing in front of Sungyeol. Sungyeol blinked many times. His vision wasn’t blurry anymore, and now he saw his best friend, Kim Myungsoo, in high school uniform. Myungsoo brought a guitar. No, it can’t be…
“Yah, what happened to you? Are you nervous about your performance later with your orchestra?” Myungsoo asked Sungyeol expressionless, without realizing Sungyeol’s face had become pale. Sungyeol looked around and he just realized that he was on the way to the school’s music hall. No way, how can I get here? Sungyeol was shivering. Think fast! What happened in the school 5 years ago on my birthday?
Graduation ceremony…?
Yeah, that was right. Today was his graduation ceremony. He and his orchestra mates would perform some songs in school’s music hall. Myungsoo either, but he’s with his band.
“Let’s go.” Myungsoo walked away. Sungyeol felt strange when he remembered that Myungsoo (actually) was in London for his second degree.
Wait.
If they are really back to 5 years ago…
probably Sungyeol could still see you.
Yes, you, the person that he always thought everyday during these past 5 years.
He didn’t why he became enthusiastic right now. He smiled. “Myungsoo, wait!” he ran after his best friend.
When they both came to the back stage, they met Jang Dongwoo, one of Sungyeol’s orchestra mates.
“Yah Sungyeol, where have you been? We will perform in 5 minutes!” Dongwoo looked quite panic. He handed Sungyeol a violin and a bow. Sungyeol just smiled. He did miss Dongwoo. After graduation, Dongwoo decided to take a major in different city. He left Seoul and although he was back, Sungyeol rarely met him because of busy working.
“Did you see my band mates?” Myungsoo asked Dongwoo.
“Ah, over there!” Dongwoo pointed at some boys who looked as cold as Myungsoo. They were standing near lighting stuff. Then Myungsoo walked away without saying anything. Aish, this kid never changed.
“Come on, Sungyeol! It’s our turn!” Sungyeol heard Dongwoo’s voice.
When entering the stage and hearing claps, Sungyeol just realized that many people came to this graduation ceremony. And he didn’t know it, why he just looked at the last row seats. He saw you. Seemed that he has known where your seat was. You sat on the last seat of the row. Although it was so far, Sungyeol didn’t know why he could see your face very clearly. You’re smiling and clapping. You looked so happy. It made Sungyeol felt some butterflies in his stomach.
During the performance, Sungyeol couldn’t stop glancing at you. He was too happy, and he was afraid that his violin’s string would be broken off because he scraped the strings by the bow very enthusiastically. LOL. When the performance was end, and Sungyeol and his orchestra mates bowed together to the audience, Sungyeol felt that he had forgotten something. But what is it? He looked at where you were sitting and he didn’t find you. Where is she going? Sungyeol was confused.
At the back stage, his orchestra mates gave him a birthday surprise. “Happy birthday, Sungyeol!!” One of them brought a chocolate cake with candles ‘18’. Sungyeol shivered. It was a bit strange to feel the atmosphere. He was just like celebrating his 18 birthday twice. And just then his orchestra mates gave the cake’s cream to his face.
“Yah! What are you guys doing?” Sungyeol yelled. His friends just laughed and Sungyeol started to catch them and gave them the cream. The back stage suddenly became a chaos. LOL.
Sungyeol spent good times with his orchestra mates. They talked about many things from the time they joined in the club together until now. It was so fun. And then suddenly Sungyeol remembered something. You.
“I have to go, guys! See you later!” Sungyeol went out. He ran to the stairs. He remembered everything. Why he lost you 5 years ago. Now he didn’t want to repeat the same thing. Because, after the graduation, he never met you again. Never. You left him.
Sungyeol and you were in different class, but every lunch time you both met on the rooftop. You often made him lunch. You both ate lunch together without anyone found out, even Sungyeol’s best friend and also orchestra mates. You two didn’t have that kind of relationship, but Sungyeol did like you. And maybe you liked him too. You have said to him that you wanted to see him on the rooftop after performance. You seemed wanted to say something. And 5 years ago, Sungyeol was too busy with his orchestra mates and he forgot about his appointment with you. No, he wouldn’t do the same today. He ran quickly.
Maybe he’s too late, he’s always late. He found no one on the rooftop. He just saw a chocolate muffin on the floor, with a paper beside it, as he just got 5 years ago. He read the paper. As he expected, the words were ‘Sungyeollie, happy birthday.’
No.
His eyes suddenly got watered. He’s late. Not again…
He couldn’t do anything. No one knew where you’re gone. Oh, 5 years ago, he did ask to the entire students of the school, and no one knew. No one really knew where you’re gone.
He put the muffin and ate it. It tasted good. He knew that you made it by yourself. He sighed. Must he end up like this again? He was about to throw out the paper about the birthday greeting as he realized that the paper wasn’t that good. He didn’t realize about that before. What he did 5 years ago was he threw it out, came back to the hall and started to ask everyone. Yes, he did it. Seemed that paper wasn’t a new one. It had been folded before? When Sungyeol tried to fold it… it became a plane. Plane? Sungyeol’s eyes widened.
Is she going to the airport?
Sungyeol hurriedly ran downstairs. Finally he knew where you were. Why did he not realize about that paper before? You just tried to give him a clue. Maybe if he realized about it 5 years ago, he still met you. Maybe. He couldn’t think clearly when some friend called his name. He just run after the school’s gate. He hurriedly caught a cab.
“Airport, Ahjussi!” he said as he got into the cab. The driver just nodded and started to drive quickly. I hope I can meet her, Sungyeol thought as he looked out the window worriedly.
It was not as he expected. Ten minutes later, the car suddenly stopped. Sungyeol was confused.
“What happened, Ahjussi?”
“The machine, young man.” The driver sounded so worried. He glanced at Sungyeol. Sungyeol looked down at his watch, then he looked at the roads. He had no time and the airport was still far.

“Yah!”
You turned around and saw Nam Woohyun walked towards you. You just sighed and looked down at your phone. You saw the clock. You had to go to the waiting room because five minutes later your plane would take off. But now you’re just standing here, waiting a miracle could happen, and you mustn’t go.
“Yah, why don’t you listen to me?” Woohyun sounded angry. “We have to go to waiting room, RIGHT NOW.” He took your wrist. You just released his grip slowly.
“Just a minute.” You said to him.
He sighed. “You said the same words from minutes ago. Come on, we have to go. Understand?” he ruffled your hair. You bite your bottom lip and then looked around. He won’t come, you thought.
“Okay.” You sighed. Woohyun smiled and took a hand around your shoulder.
“Let’s go~~” he sang.
“WAIT!” you heard a voice that made you turning around.

Sungyeol finally reached the airport. He ran quickly, very quickly to come here. Actually he felt hopeless. He just thought that your plane had already taken off. He also didn’t know your destination, so it would be quite difficult to find you. But when he arrived, he saw you. There were many people here, with many trollies and bags, and Sungyeol just didn’t know why he could see you. Although he lost much energy, he kept running. He ran to you.
“WAIT!”
You turned around and looked surprised.
“Sungyeol…?”
He stopped in front of you. His legs were trembling. He was so exhausted. He was out of breath. But there were words he wanted to say to you. “I’m…sorry…”
You still looked surprised. “I don’t know you will come here.”
“W-why did you leave? I knew I was late to come to rooftop,” he said.
You smiled a little. “It’s okay. I just have no time, Sungyeol.”
Have no time?
“My plane to Tokyo will take off in ten minutes.” You laughed nervously.
“T-Tokyo?”
You nodded. “I have to go.” You turned but Sungyeol quickly held your hand.
“Wait…” he took a deep breath. “Why don’t you stay?” you didn’t answer and didn’t look at him neither. He coughed. “You know, this is weird, but if you do this, I won’t see you for 5 years. You know how it is? It hurts.”
You still didn’t say anything. Sungyeol tightened his grip on your hand.
“If you’re gone, all I will do everyday is remembering when we’re together. It’s always nice to remember, you know. I really liked it how we met everyday, how you made me lunch. We shared about the lesson together, we talked much about some killer teachers, we did homework together. The rooftop is definitely ours. No one even comes except us.
“I was very glad to see you again after these five― ugh, what am I saying? I’m always happy to be with you. So please don’t go. I need you.”
Silence. Will she stay here? Sungyeol thought. He really didn’t know what to do if you still wanted to go. He really didn’t know. Sungyeol just thought deeply about everything and then…
“YAH! What are you saying? You want her to stay here?” Suddenly Sungyeol heard a loud voice. It came from a boy who was standing beside you. Sungyeol blinked. Who’s this guy? Why don’t I see him from beginning?
“No! She can’t. She will go to Tokyo with me!” that boy released Sungyeol’s grip on your hand. Sungyeol widened his eyes. Wait, who’s this guy? Is he…her boyfriend or else?
“She just waited here for a while and didn’t want to go to waiting room. That was because of you! You made her wait. Aish. We will miss our plane. Come on, sweetheart~” that boy held your hand. But you stopped.
“Oppa, let me stay.”
Oppa? This noisy boy is her Oppa?
“What?” that boy looked so confused. “But you were accepted in a great university in Tokyo! You have to go, you have to go!” That boy looked so stubborn.
“But I was also accepted in the greatest university here, remember?” You smiled. “Oppa, let me stay. I’ll visit you more often. Or you have to come back.” You giggled. Sungyeol then remembered it. You had told him that you lived here with your Uncle. Your parents were in Japan. But he really didn’t know that you had a brother.
“You will be alone here, Dongsaeng.” That boy frowned. “Our parents won’t be happy about this.”
“Ah, I have told them before. They agreed.” you said and smiled.
“And no, she won’t be alone here. She has me.” Sungyeol interrupt the moment. That boy raised an eyebrow.
“Who are you?”
You glanced at Sungyeol and then answered,”He’s my best f―”
“I’m her..eh..future husband! Yeah, future husband!” Sungyeol cut your words.
That boy’s jaw dropped. “What??”
Sungyeol looked at you who also looked so surprised. He slowly held your hand. He held your hand tightly. “You will stay here, right?”
You blinked, but then you formed a smile and nodded. Sungyeol sighed in relief and then pulled you into a hug. He closed his eyes.
When he opened his eyes, everything was so blurry.
He blinked many times and then he realized that he was in his home’s balcony. He didn’t believe it, he just came back here? And, where are you? He looked for you, but he just found some voices from the kitchen, and they were his dad, mom, and Daeyeol’s. Sungyeol sighed.
That was just a dream. Why did it look so real? He was disappointed. He really wanted to have you here beside him. He thought about many things and didn’t know that the bell was ringing.
“Sungyeol, please open the door!” he heard his mom’s voice.
“Let me open it, Mom!” Daeyeol said and ran to the door. Seconds later, Daeyeol squalled. “It’s Noona!”
What?
“Daeyeollie, how’s life?”
Sungyeol shivered. It can’t be… He quickly walked to the door. He then found you who were talking with Daeyeol. You saw him, you smiled. Sungyeol couldn’t say anything. He was so surprised.
“Yah, Sungyeol, why do you just stand here?” his mom patted his arm and walked to you. “Long time no see you!” his mom hugged you tightly. Sungyeol still didn’t get it how you and his mom could look so close.
“I’m sorry I’m late. My boss gave me many jobs today.” You said. “But, I bring these.” You said after his mom pulled away. You pointed at a box in your left hand.
“The party was already over, Noona. But don’t worry, we can make a second one.” Daeyeol made everyone laughed.
Sungyeol was still frozen. He didn’t realize that his dad was standing next to him. “Yah, why don’t you greet her? Don’t you greet your fiancée?”
What? Fiancée?
Sungyeol widened his eyes. Is dad kidding me? Fiancée?
Everyone headed to the kitchen and left you both. You walked up to him. “I’m sorry I’m late.”
“Uh, it’s..okay.” he said after he could find his voice. You just smiled. Sungyeol still didn’t believe it. “Y-you’re really here?”
You raised an eyebrow, but right then laughed. “Yes, I’m here.”
“You don’t go to Tokyo with your brother?”
“Hey, I’ve planned that after our graduation, but then I decided to stay here.”
He blinked. This was not a dream, he thought. He then touched your cheek. You still laughed. You then held his hand.
“You’re bit weird today, Dear. But, happy birthday.” You tip-toed and kissed him on the cheek. And just then he realized that everything wasn’t a dream. You’re really here, and now you’re his fiancée. Everything was changed. Is that because of that old-fashioned watch dad gave me? Sungyeol thought. He then checked his pockets but didn’t find it. Where is it?
Sungyeol walked to the kitchen to ask his dad. “Dad, did you see the watch you gave me?”
“What? Watch?” his dad looked so confused.
“Yes, an old-fashioned watch you gave me, uh, minutes ago. Where is it?”
His dad just smiled mysteriously. “I don’t know, son. I didn’t remember that I gave you one.”

-Fin
December 29th 2011