The Singing Contest

The Singing Contest (One-Shot)

 

”Please quiet down everyone,” The head teacher said to all the students in the gym hall. After a moment all the students had turned their attention towards her. “Thanks, now, the principal wants to announce something.” She said with a smile and went down from the stage so the principal could come on.

“Hello everyone,” He said with a friendly smile.

All the students liked the principal who was an elderly man that many looked at as a kind of a grandfather and he was always ready to talk to a student if they had problems.

“Since it’s soon Christmas I decided to make a little competition for you all.” The students looked questioning at each other, and before any could start trying to figure out what exactly he meant, he continued.

“Since this is a school that specialises in music, what better to do than a singing contest?” He smiled as the students cheered excited. “To join in you have to write your name at a list that will be hung up in the hallway by the cafeteria and you have to perform your entry at the Christmas ball that will be held in three weeks.”

With that the students couldn’t hold their excitement and began talking with each other and what they should do. Judy gave you an elbow in the side.

“Shouldn’t we both sign up?” You looked shocked at her.

“But… I’m no-“ Judy sighed as he cut you off.

“I know, I know. You’re not good enough.” She raised an eyebrow. “You know, I have heard you sing when you’re alone and I must admit your voice is different, in a good way, and I’m sure you could even win!” You looked embarrassed down on the floor.

To be honest singing wasn’t one of the things you considered yourself good at and that was also the reason why you hadn’t come to this school to sing but you loved playing the piano and since you were a natural at it you had been invited to come to this school by the principal himself.

Singing was something you only did when you were alone and you enjoyed it as it calmed you down but you had never considered singing in front of someone and not to mention a big crowd, as it would be at the Christmas ball.

“I-I’m not sure…” You didn’t have the confidence to boldly enter the contest. Judy sighed again.

“Well, at least think about it, okay?” You nodded which earned you a smile from her. “Good.” She then grabbed you by the arm and started steering you out of the gym hall. “Let’s get something to eat before next lesson begins.” You smiled.

Judy was an outgoing and lovable girl you had met on your first day at this school. She was in the same class as you and played bass. She wanted to be in a punk rock band, she just had to find the right band mates at first.

-oOoOo-

Two days later everyone in school was talking about the upcoming singing contest and almost everyone had signed up for it. In your mind you had decided not to participate since so many already had signed for it.

Instead you practiced a little longer on the piano since the classroom where empty as all the students had found different places to practise their songs for the competition. Judy had gone on a new hunt to find members for a band so she could participate with them.

You closed your eyes and took a deep breath as it calmed you down and you were in your own little world. You played a tune and continued with another as you formed a melody. You smiled before also giving the melody words.

“That’s very good.” A guy said as you ended your song. You hit a key, which made a horrible tune, in surprise. You hadn’t expected someone to come. He smiled.

“W-Who are-are y-you?” You stuttered. You had never seen him at the school before. There were a lot more girls than boys here so you fairly knew the boys faces as Judy usually dragged you with her on the hunt for cute guys.

“I’m Nick, I’m new.” He held out his right hand for a handshake. You looked a little embarrassed but you slowly held out your hand and shook his.

“I’m ___...”

“Nice to meet you,” He paused. “Are you going to participate in the singing contest? I head some talking about it.”

“No… I-I don’t ha-have a chance…” You always felt so embarrassed when talking to boys.

“A chance!? I think you’re much better than some of the other ones I’ve heard as I walked around here!” You blushed.

“That’s exactly what I told her!” Both you and Nick turned as a new person joined in. Judy smiled as she walked over to the two of you.

“Did you find someone to join your band?” You asked her in the hope of changing the matter discussed. She sighed.

“No, no one!” She sunk down on one of the chairs. You placed a hand on her shoulder to comfort her a little.

“I might know someone depending on what kind of music it is?” Judy looked at Nick.

“You do? It’s punk rock. By the way, who are you? I haven’t seen you here before?”

“I’m Nick, I’m new here.” He then thought for a moment. “I might be able to help you find someone.” Judy stood up from her chair.

“Really!?” Her smile broadened as he nodded. “Yes!” She made a little jump before she stopped and pointed over at you. “Wait! ___, you made me change subject on purpose!” You smiled a little before you ran away from her as she started chasing you around the classroom.

“Stop!” You tried to run from her.

“I’ll only stop when you agree on entering the contest!” You heard her snicker to herself.

“Okay, okay!” You said and stopped to catch your breath. Judy smiled victoriously.

“Then we’ll go write your name on the list now since I want to make sure you do it!” She started dragging you with her. Nick followed, amused by the way the two of you acted.

“Didn’t look like it took much to convince you.” He said as they walked.

“Well, you haven’t seen what Judy is capable of doing.” You shivered as you remembered how Judy had treated the last girl who had done something to her.

Finally you came to the hallway by the cafeteria where the list was hanging. Your eyes widened as you saw all the names written on it.

“Maybe I shouldn’t-“ With one glance from Judy you shut up and found a pencil and wrote your name on the list. She smiled.

-oOoOo-

It had been a few days and Nick had held his word with Judy and found three guys and a girl whom she had started her band with. Unfortunately they weren’t part of the school and therefore couldn’t participate in the contest.

Judy didn’t really care since she now had her band and she was gone most of the days after school to practise with them, which resulted in you being alone. Well, all alone wasn’t quite true since Nick usually came by and sometimes gave his point on what you could do better.

“Hmm… Which to choose?” You said to yourself as you looked through the lyrics and chords to a couple of different songs.

“Choosing song for the competition?” You heard Nick ask behind you.

“Yeah.” You weren’t surprised since you had now known him for a week and somewhat used to the way he made his entrance.

“What about this one?” He held out a paper. “This will suit your voice well and you will also have the chance to show your piano skills.” He smiled. You took the sheet from him and looked it over.

“I can fly by Joey Yung…” You read aloud. “Hmm… I’ll think about it.” You went over to your laptop to listen to the song and try finding the piano chords for it.

“I have to go again now, see you~” With that Nick went out of the classroom and left you alone to listen to the song.

-oOoOo-

“I can fly, I’m singing in the sky~” You had decided to go with the song Nick had suggested and were now practising. You smiled as you played the last few chords.

“Nice.” Nick said as he gave you a little applause. “I said it would work fine with your voice.”

“Yeah you’re the best.” You said with sarcasm and rolled your eyes at him though you couldn’t help but smile.

“Please come to the gym hall everyone, there’s a little announcement about the contest next week.” The voice of the head teacher sounded over the speaker system.

“What could that be?” You stood up from your seat and walked towards the door. “Aren’t you coming?” You asked, as Nick didn’t move.

“Oh… Ehm… I’ll be there in a moment…” He suddenly sounded nervous.

“Are you okay?” You looked worried at him. He gave you smile.

“Yeah I’m fine.” You then shrugged and didn’t put more thought to it and left for the gym hall.

“To make the contest more exciting the principal contacted one of his friends and there has actually been two judges posing as students and listened to all of you practising.” The head teacher said. Everyone looked surprised at each other. “They wanted to learn the students better to know and also see how you all work and maybe help a little.”

“Who can it be?” A girl whispered to her friend who was standing right beside you. You were thinking the exact same thing.

“Without further ado I would like to present the two judges for the contest, please welcome Wong Jinglun and Nick Chou!” You started wide-eyed as Nick and his friend walked out on the stage.

This was too much of a shock for you and you hurried out from the gym hall and back to the classroom. How? How could he? Only a few minutes later you heard running footsteps closing in.

“___!” You recognized the voice.

“Why?” You were now angry. “I thought you were my friend!” You almost yelled at him.

“I’m sorry-“

“What do you think all the other students think now? Not that I will have a chance but surely they will think I’m being favourised since we’re friends!”

“___-“ Again you cut him off.

“No! We shouldn’t meet anymore!” You then gathered your bag and hurried past him and out of the classroom with tears blurring your sight. You didn’t know why you felt so hurt. Was it because of what the other students would think? Or was it because he had lied to you?

It most likely was because he had lied to you since before you came to this school you had been teased and everyone had lied to you about being your friend only to find things that could humiliate you in front of everyone… Since then you had build a wall around you being cautious around any person trying to get close to you. Judy had broken that wall when you had met her and Nick had also seemed like a friendly person and you hadn’t had your guard up which now resulted in you being hurt again.

-oOoOo-

The day of the Christmas ball and the singing contest arrived and you honestly felt like quitting it. Since your little outburst towards Nick you hadn’t felt very good but at the same time you couldn’t forget the lie.

It may seem like a stupid thing to still hold a grudge but once a person has experienced too many lies it gets harder to forgive since the person doesn’t want to get hurt again.

“Contestant #44, ___ please enter the stage.” You took a deep breath before going out on the stage. You bowed towards the judge’s table and out from the corner of your eye you noticed that Nick wasn’t there… Where was he? Your heart sank and to be honest a part of you wanted to jump off the stage and go look for him, but the other part made you remember what he did.

“I want to sing ‘I can fly’ sung by Joey Yung.” You said before you sat down by the piano and started.

As you finished the hall where filled with applause. You smiled as you stood up and bowed.

“Very nice, I didn’t know you also could sing ___.” The principal said with a smile. You went of the stage when all the judges had said something. You didn’t feel like being here.

“And the winner is…” A pause was held to make it more exciting. “Bianca Hsu!” There was applause and cheering in the hall. You hadn’t won anything and you didn’t mind since you had kept thinking you couldn’t be as good as those who used to sing and was thought how to it. Instead you decided to head outside and get some fresh air.

-oOoOo-

“Hey…” You looked surprised at Nick who was leaning against the railing. You had decided to go to the rooftop since you had been sure no one would be there.

“H-Hey…” The both of you stood in an awkward silence not knowing what to say.

“So… How did it go?” Nick slowly asked as the silence got to him.

“Okay I guess… I got an 8th place…”

“That’s good…” The silence followed. Suddenly guilt filled you.

“Look, I’m sorry I got so mad at you last time, it’s just…” You paused. Why did you suddenly have the urge to tell him everything? He looked questioning at you waiting for you to explain. You sighed and took a deep breath gathering the courage to tell him it all.

“I see…” He said as you finished. “I’m sorry, it was just that I was drawn to you when I heard your singing and saw how you acted with Judy… I wasn’t out to hurt you or make other think you were favourised. It was the school who meant we should keep our status as judges a secret so we would be able to see who the students really were.” You blushed and your heart skipped a beat.

“It’s okay… I was too quick to jump to conclusions and if you want, can we then still be friends?” Nick smiled.

“Of course!” You smiled back to him. “Now, shouldn’t we head down to that Christmas ball your principal had arranged?” You chuckled and nodded before the two of you went down from the roof.

The rest of the afternoon you had fun with Judy, Nick and his friend Jinglun whom Nick introduced you to. You were glad that you and Nick were talking again and it felt like a big stone had been lifted from your heart. Instead a new feeling had replaced it. It was a feeling you hadn’t had before and you were still trying to figure out what it was?