Final

Knight in Shining Armor


Birds chirped peacefully as the bright sun shone into Taehyung’s room. Taehyung had arisen, rubbing his eyes, then ruffling his somehow perfect hair. 

This would be how he wished he'd awoken. A loud clap of thunder and heavy rains pelted down on his large window. He shot out of his bed, skillfully maneuvering himself to where he easily tripped over his blanket. This led to him laying face first into his blanket that had fallen down with him. 

Pushing himself off the soft carpet, Taehyung caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror. He looked like a monster. His hair stuck out in every possible direction, even in some that he had no idea was actually possible. His bangs covered his face in an awkward position to which it actually covered his eyes, obstructing his vision slightly. He grimaced in disgust when he found a little bit of drool in his hair as well. 

He attempted to run a hand through his hair, somehow causing it to stick out more. 

“Sir.” A voice came from the other side of the door. 

“I told you already, don't call me sir.” Taehyung complained as he pushed himself to the bathroom connected to his room. 

A sigh came from the person on the other side. “Fine, but I must warn that there is a downcast out there.” 

‘No kidding.’ Taehyung sighed as he looked at the gray sky looming over the castle-esque building. The blinds were thin and sheer, as if meant to reveal his entire body to the world from the moment he'd woken up to the moment he'd fallen asleep. 

Looking down at the neighboring houses and shacks, he saw merchants, parents having fun with their children while working, albeit working strenuously. Everyone had their own cliques and “gangs” while he had only himself and some of the bodyguards. 


“Hoseok! Get going. We don't have the entire day to just dawdle around.” 

“Fine, whatever.” Hoseok said as he placed an iron ingot into the forge, heating it to the point where it glowed a distinct red color. 

He sighed as he placed the hot piece of iron onto the anvil, skillfully shaping it into the desired shape with the hammer.

Hoseok always dreamed of being respected by others, feeling the utmost respect from other people. The feeling of being put at the highest platform. However, as life has its ups and downs; its own fate, he was fated to be a worksman. 

He wanted to feel almost godly.


“Stand up straight.”

“Use the correct silverware.”

“Smile more.”

Taehyung heard those phrases tens of thousands of times. Each getting more and more annoying. 

He had to not only look perfect, he had to act perfect. Even if he was sad, angry, or even afraid, he always had to keep his boxy, carefree smile on. 

Though it seemed easy, his main job being to just look pretty and to wave. He was constantly stressed, trying to keep his kingdom calm even as calamity ensued. He had to make sure the taxes were high enough for the government to run, yet low enough so citizens won't complain. He had to keep everyone happy. 

Taehyung placed his face onto the smooth surface of the desk, picking at his nails as he zoned out any outside noise. 

“Excuse me, sir. If I must ask, this is an important meeting. I must insist that you listen.” A bodyguard told Taehyung. 

Sighing, Taehyung agreed anyway. 

Blah blah, government, blah blah, money, blah blah important.

Taehyung couldn't care less about the droning monotonous voice of this ambassador, lamenting on and on about absolutely nothing. 

“Sir, I can understand if you are extremely bored, but you must pay attention for if a depression ensues, you will be to blame.” 

“I will do fine.”

He couldn't. 

~~

A large mob shouted in front of his castle. 

“Sir. I just got a message complaining about the declining economy.” 

Taehyung didn't respond. He shut his sheer blinds and hid under his sheets. At first, he actively tried to help his citizens. Soon, everything went awry. Taehyung laid motionlessly, always requesting for his food to be delivered to his room for there might've been a possibility that someone, anyone could have seen him. 


Hoseok looked out, seeing that another mob accumulated. 

‘What's going on?’ Hoseok wondered as he looked down again. 

Hoseok rolled up his sleeves, wiping the thin layer of perspiration on his hands on his pants. He walked out, bumping into a young man covering his face with a cloak.

“Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry.” Hoseok exclaimed in surprise.

The young man looked up with slight terror in his eyes. 

“Sorry.” The male murmured in hurry. 

The young man looked back at the mob. 

“Come with me.” He said quietly.

Hoseok followed, running with the other to a small grotto in the forest. 

“Sorry again.” The voice said, louder than before. A slight smile appeared from under the hood. “I was afraid the crowd might catch me, and I panicked so I dragged you with me.”

The male took his hood down. 

The king. 

Hoseok had a surprised shimmer in his eyes before bowing down, lowering his head at the sight of his majesty.

A calm chuckle came from the king. The laugh had hints of amusement, but it had a hind of bitterness in its undertone.

“Honestly, I don't know if I can trust you, but I really need someone to talk to.” Taehyung said, dropping his head in embarrassment. 

Hoseok looked surprised again. “No, no, it's fine. I'd be honored to hear what the king would like to say.”

Taehyung laughed bitterly once more. 

“Please, I can't be much older than you, or if I was older,” Another angelic laugh. “Anyway, call me Taehyung.”

“How old are you?” Hoseok asked unconsciously. 

Taehyung laughed again, his youthful smile brought a smile to Hoseok’s face. 

“I'm twenty.” Taehyung said before adding another statement, “Turning twenty-one in December.”

“I turned twenty-two in February.” Hoseok mumbled. 

Taehyung laughed again. “Should I call you my hyeong then?”

“No, no!” Hoseok said in surprise. 

“Anyway, I'd like to know everything about you.” Taehyung said, a blush appearing on his slightly tan face. 

“Um, didn't… you want to say… something?” Hoseok stuttered out, a blush prominent on his face as well. 

“Oh right. Well, I—” Taehyung was cut off by shouting near the small grotto, interrupting their peaceful moment. “, sorry. I have to run. I apologize, I hope we meet again.”

A lovestruck look pasted itself on Hoseok’s face. Quickly, he shook his head to rid himself of any indecent thought about the king and went off. 


Taehyung cursed to himself, gripping the hood over his head as his cloak ruffled in the wind behind him. 

‘That boy… he was nice…’  Taehyung smiled to himself as he ran deeper into the forest. 

From the look of his clothes, Hoseok looked to be part of the working class. He was so desperate, he almost spilled his inner turmoil to a complete stranger. Though it seemed he could trust the male. In a world of mistrust, he trusted a complete stranger. 

A soft chuckle escaped Taehyung’s lips as he blushed slightly. He let out a soft yelp in embarrassment, running faster, now just for burning off his embarrassment.  

~~

“Sir! What happened?” Taehyung’s butler asked in shock as Taehyung walked back in, soaking wet. 

A sheepish look made its way on Taehyung’s face. “Sorry, I fell into the river.” 

“Sir—”

“Taehyung.” Taehyung cut his butler off. 

“Taehyung. The nearest river is a few kilometers away.” 

“Whoops, did I run that far? Sorry.” Taehyung said sheepishly. 


It's been days since Hoseok last saw Taehyung. Though he knew Taehyung was a strong, young man, he still worried for the younger. 

He shook off his worry, walking out into the bright sun. He bumped into another cloaked figure. 

“Sorry again.” Hoseok said to the familiar frame. 

“Hey,” a hushed whisper came from the hooded figure. “Ya wanna run away with me?”

Hoseok thought about it, a stranger, albeit being part of royalty, wanted to run away with him. 

“Why, don't you like being king?” Hoseok couldn't help but to ask. 

Taehyung sighed, pulling his hood further down, covering most of his face. “No, not really.” 

“Why?” Hoseok asked. 

“It's just… it gets very lonely. Sure, the entire kingdom at least slightly enjoys my presence, but I never really get the chance to talk privately with anyone.” He cleared his throat, covering his sheepish posture with a professional façade. 

Taehyung changed so much since Hoseok last saw him, and that wasn't even a week ago. 

“If I may ask, why do you care so much?” Taehyung asked, approaching Hoseok, grasping the latter’s rough hands.

The younger looked desperate. Like he needed the presence of Hoseok. 

“I dunno. I guess I've always wanted to know how it feels to be important. I want to feel needed.” Hoseok rubbed the nape of his neck in embarrassment. 

Taehyung chuckled softly. “Y’know, I've realized I just asked you to run away with me, and yet, I don't even know your name.”

“Hoseok!” Hoseok replied nearly instantaneously. 

“Hoseok, eh?” Taehyung repeated.  “A lovely name.” 

Hoseok blushed at the sudden compliment. 

“Come with me.” Taehyung told the older, his hand began pulling Hoseok with him. 

Taehyung dragged Hoseok to the place he'd run off to earlier. The river. Several kilometers away from where they once were. 

“, man.” Hoseok said while panting. “Tell me next time you make me run a marathon.”

Nodding, Taehyung looked out at the rushing river. 

Hoseok followed the younger to the river bed, a calm breeze ruffling his hair. Taehyung looked over at Hoseok, a bright smile plastered on his face, though it didn't quite reach his eyes. 

“Is there something bothering you?” Hoseok asked as he ran a hand through his hair. 

“It's nothing.” Taehyung said nearly silently. He paused to clear his throat. 

Hoseok looked at Taehyung’s side profile. The young man had bright, youthful features. His lips were full, a pinkish color tinting them. A light hue of red dusted Taehyung’s cheeks as stared off into the distance. His eyes were unusually blank, almost as if he were trained to show no emotions. 

“Something’s coming.” Taehyung whispered as he squinted at a small figure in the distance. “Do you see it too?” 

Hoseok squinted at the direction Taehyung was looking. 

“Is that an enemy attack?” Taehyung mumbled to himself. “No, it can't be…”

As Taehyung was deep into his own monologue, Hoseok got a chance to observe how professional the younger truly was. Although cheerful, it seemed Taehyung was stripped of a certain freedom. 

When the silhouette disappeared, Taehyung looked to Hoseok. 

“I apologize for that.” 

“Actually, since you're king, what happened to your parents?” Hoseok questioned.

“Well, how our government works is that my parents either resigned from the throne, or they passed.” Taehyung said with a certain coldness to his voice.

“Oh. Sorry.” Hoseok said, suddenly feeling regretful for his impulsiveness.

“No, I understand.” Taehyung paused, staring into the distance again. “So do ya wanna run away with me?”

“Sure.” Hoseok said a bit too eagerly. “I mean, I'd be delighted to.”

Taehyung laughed. “Alright, I guess it's settled.”

“Actually, what about the kingdom?”

“Right. I'll leave the throne to Jimin.” Taehyung put his hood back up. “Let's go?”

“It's a date.” Hoseok shrugged as he went off with Taehyung. They ran through the small forest until Taehyung paused to cough. 

“I apologize, it must be the wind.” Taehyung rubbed the nape of his neck. 

Their medicinal substances were quite primitive. Even they admitted it. It would literally kill Taehyung if he had fallen ill with pneumonia. 

~~

Taehyung left a note on his bed and left before dawn. 

His kingdom will now be under better rule. 

Taehyung, who caused angry mobs was now gone. Now, Jimin was left to care for the troubles in the city.

“Hoseok… I'm happy I met you.” Taehyung blushed as he spoke to the older. 

“I've never been happier. Perhaps, maybe I like you?” Hoseok blushed deeply, looking down at his feet for fear of rejection. 

Taehyung lifted Hoseok’s head with his fingers. “Maybe I like you too.” 

Their lips were about to meet until Taehyung coughed. 

“Sorry, I guess I ruined our moment, huh?” 

“It's fine, but… do you want to try it. Being boyfriends, that is.” Hoseok mumbled. “I want to protect you like a knight in shining armor.”

“Sure.” Taehyung smiled. “I'd love to be your boyfriend.”

~~

“Now, one of us has to work, because… y’know, food.” Hoseok said.

Taehyung nodded. “I can work if you want.”

His voice was distinctly hoarse in a way. 

“I can.” Hoseok said. “Since I still have my job, I think I’ll manage.”

Taehyung nodded once more. “I guess I'll see you off?” 

The two exited their small home together. 

“Bye.” The two said to each other, pulling themselves into a short, chaste peck. 

~~

First, days passed, then the days turned into months. They were the best and worst couple months of his life. 

They were the best because Taehyung had someone to share his feelings with. They were the worst because his sickness grew. 

Every morning, Hoseok would leave and Taehyung would plant a soft peck onto one of his cheeks. As Hoseok worked, Taehyung did his own thing. Then, later in the evening, Hoseok would come back.

Taehyung’s chest shook as he coughed. He needed water. As Taehyung drank the water in an almost ravenous way, he coughed again, feeling a thicker liquid come out of his mouth. He placed a hand over his mouth, attempting to cover the cough. 

When Taehyung looked down, he saw blood staining his hands. The young man wiped it off, his hands shaking. 

With Hoseok away, Taehyung had no one to ask for help. 


Silently, the door opened as a male in dark clothing entered Taehyung and Hoseok’s home. 

The male had only one intent. To kill the traitor; to kill Taehyung. 

The young man gasped when he felt a sharp pain. 

He was dead. 


“Can I purchase this gold?” Hoseok asked the salesman. 

“Sure, but it'll cost ya.” The other said. 

“Please, I'd be willing to do anything for it.” Hoseok pleaded.

The other thought about it before speaking. “You got a deal.” 

~~

Excited, Hoseok went back to his workspace. He's made swords and stuff, surely a ring will be just as easy. 

He shaped and crafted it as best as he could, managing to produce a smooth enough finish on the golden ring. He spent less time preparing his own ring, not wanting to be home later than usual for his surprise.

He wanted to propose.

~~

“Taehyung? Honey?” Hoseok asked as he walked in, surprised to be greeted by nothing but silence. 

“Taehyung!” Hoseok shouted at his boyfriend lying on the ground. 

Hoseok nearly dived at his younger boyfriend. Wincing at the touch of the lukewarm skin, which no longer gave him the sparks they used to. His hands shook as he reached to feel Taehyung’s pulse. 

Nothing.

Taehyung was officially dead. There was no pulse, no nothing. Hoseok nearly shouted out in surprise. 

Jung Hoseok was afraid of many things from heights, snakes, and death. Deathly afraid of death, which was actually quite ironic. 

Hoseok broke down in tears. 

“I promised…” He choked out. “I promised to be your knight in shining armor, but I failed.”


“Hoseok, 

I never liked being king. I was always unhappy. That is, until I met you. Hoseok, Jung Hoseok. I wanted to live with you until we both died, but it isn't looking too good for me. So, if I do die, don't follow me… I want you to survive. Find someone else. You'll be happier. I sincerely hope I never see you again. I hope you never die. I want you to live happily. Bye, Hoseok. Continue being that ray of sunshine that gives everyone hope and happiness. Embrace that goofy side of you that so dearly wishes to be a part of you. Be the smiling person I've always known you to be. And just… don't forget about me. 

I love you. Hoseok.” 


Hoseok never found the note Taehyung left for him. Maybe it was for the greater good. It was better for his sanity, or at least what's left of it. With the death of Taehyung, Hoseok’s heart could be mended with enough time and patience. But if he'd ever read the short note Taehyung wrote for him, and him only, his heart would be like Humpty Dumpty. His heart fell off a wall and all the king’s men and all the king’s horses couldn't put him back together again. He himself would also have broken.

While he reminisced over the short couple of months they'd spent together, Hoseok failed to notice hot tears running down his face. Hoseok took one of the two rings out. With shaking hands, he placed it onto the stiffening ring finger that belonged to Taehyung. He took the other one out, placing it on his own. He shivered as he held his own and Taehyung’s hand up. He interlocked his fingers with Taehyung’s to the best of his ability.

While Hoseok was always trying to save Taehyung, Taehyung was saving the both of them. For the lack thereof the time they've spent together, Taehyung knew the both of them would get targeted, at least until they reached their main goal; killing Taehyung. 

It worked, now Hoseok was safe, but alone. After being ostracized by his own family, Hoseok found Taehyung, a young man who accepted him as who he was. Then. It all changed (when the fire nation attacked) when Taehyung was gone. 

As Taehyung tried to save the both of them, but he ended up harming them more. 

Not everyone can be or even has to be a knight in shining armor. And neither of them knew that.