001.

Sleeping Under The Cherry Blossoms
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This story takes place in South Korea, but since I don't personally live in SK nor am I Korean, I know that many of the things that the characters do or say may be out of place with actual Korean lifestyle.

 

Also, make sure to listen to the songs in the playlist (found in the foreword) for the full experience!

 

April 12 - 2:35 PM 

 

"And that concludes my presentation."

 

Baekhyun smiled and bowed his head as the room suddenly filled with applause. Such a modest soul, the male smiled cheekily, causing most of the girls in the classroom, including me, to swoon. It seemed that everything he did was deserving of applause and screams, although I didn't mind since I too was one of those girls who laid at his feet.

 

"Thank you for that amazing presentation, Byun Baekhyun," Our teacher announced as the male made his way back to his seat.

 

Seoji, sitting next to me, scoffed and said to me under her breath, "There goes Byun Baekhyun again, getting praise for doing what any other human does."

 

"Gosh, Seoji. He can't help it he's so perfect and everyone loves him," I replied. In return, she rolled her eyes. From my lips came a gentle and faint laugh as I giggled at her behavior.

 

Seoji really was my best friend, but she didn't see what made Baekhyun so special from other guys. It wasn't as if she hated him, she was just being realistic. Although I literally swooned over him 24/7, I appreciated that she was so realistic, or else I would fall way too deep into Baekhyun's clutches, which would be bad since I had no chance of being with him at all. What she said was true though: Baekhyun could literally pick up a spoon and he would get applauded. It wasn't his fault though, since he didn't do much to cause the girls to fall for him. He was just kind and naturally charming, although he did smile at them a bit too happily, which made them delusional enough to think that he had taken a liking to them.

 

I was different though. I accepted the fact that what I had for Baekhyun was completely one-sided and would fade away as soon as we graduated. I had accepted that I was too dull and average to fit anything within Baekhyun's spontaneous and upbeat life.

 

I even had an average and common name: Minah. I got the same grades as most people and my life was never full of exciting and sudden events. The only thing about me that seemed different or unique was my camera. I always had it with me, and people had begun to recognize me for it (although they never knew my actual name and just called me "photography girl"). Photography was my passion; the photographer in me always had the urge to capture things that were beautiful. I would find myself absentmindedly taking pictures of anything I found unique or even remotely pretty.

 

The one hobby was like a speck of dust compared to Baekhyun's perfection.

 

He was just so perfect: perfect looks, perfect life, perfect grades, perfect friends.

 

Just using the word perfect is repetitive and undescriptive, but it seemed that it was the only word capable of describing Baekhyun. He was kind-hearted and sweet, he was giving and friendly, he was just... perfect. For the lack of a better word.

 

I had begun to develop a crush on the male when we were in 7th grade: he had gone to a different elementary school than me so I had never met him before. Which is why when I first saw him, I couldn't help but stare a little. Even back then, when he had a bowl cut and his voice seemed higher than a chipmunk's, he was the most breathtakingly perfect person I had ever laid my eyes on. He just had this overflowing charisma that followed him wherever he went. I had admired him from afar, since I had no guts to actually go talk to him. He was popular back then too; apparently 7th graders who were friends with a lot of 8th graders were considered cool, and that was just what Baekhyun was. His personality just attracted everyone: 7th graders loved him, 8th graders loved him, teachers loved him. He was just Byun Baekhyun, and he was adored by the entire middle school. 

 

Of course, the only time we ever interacted directly was in 8th grade. 

 

We were running laps around the track, and having PE last period, I was sweating through my clothes. I felt absolutely disgusting. The hot sun was blaring down on my skin, and I felt like I was going to faint right there on the track. I had begun to slow down, gradually slowing to a walk. Then, a miracle happened.

 

"Come on, slow-poke. I'll beat you there." 

 

His voice was bright and playful, and although I could tell that the heat was getting to him too, he continued grinning like an idiot as he stared at me, jogging extremely slow just to be able to stay with me.

 

I was completely shell-shocked; Baekhyun was actually talking to me. I resisted the urge to look around me to see if there was perhaps someone else he was talking to, but he was obviously looking at me. I couldn't say anything, so I just my sweaty lips and began to run without replying back.

 

Baekhyun had taken it as me accepting his challenge, and so we ran together, racing against each other. We kept going until the teachers told the class that we were done, then he flocked back to his friends. Out there in the hot air, Byun Baekhyun had encouraged me to push myself. We never spoke after that.

 

Because I was young, emotional, and absolutely delusional, I had fantasized about him after that day. He knew who I was; maybe he didn't know my name, but he could recognize my face as the girl who beat him in that miniscule race, right? I imagined his hand brushing mine as we walked past each other in the halls. I dreamed about him writing my name in his notebook during boring lectures during class. During classes I shared with him, I daydreamed about me turning my head and seeing him looking at me. How important that would have been for me, to have him acknowledge me in some way, even with just a glance.

 

Back then, I was 100% sure that I was in love with him. 

 

Our story played out like a film in my head. But life isn't a movie, especially not mine.

 

But then, we entered high school, and everything had changed. It seemed strange, but everyone, including me, had changed drastically over the summer.

 

It was like we were brand new people in brand new bodies.

 

Baekhyun became more cheerful and friendly, if that was possible. He immediately sky-rocketed to popularity, the only person who stood out from the grim, nervous crowd of freshmen. As for me, I had grown out my hair, that had always been cut to my shoulders, and it reached my elbows. It helped me cover my face and shy away from interaction. I had become more mature and timid, and yes, I had friends but never to the amount that Baekhyun had. 

 

By sophomore year, I realized that it wasn't worth it: fantasizing and dreaming about Baekhyun.

 

I had finally begun to understand the social structure of high school, and where Baekhyun was at the top was unreachable for someone like me.

 

And so we never talked again. Never looked at each other (or more like he never looked at me), never passed greetings to each other in the halls.

 

And that was it. That was my fatal love story with Byun Baekhyun. 

 

April 12 - 3:32

"See you later, babe," Seoji pats my back gently as we emerge from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter