Final

Until the end of the world

A/N: English is not my first language and I apologise in advance for any mistakes. This is inspired by a fanart I saw on Twitter where Sowon is piggybacking Yuju but sadly, I didn't save the link and couldn't properly give credits to it T_T

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sojung never likes to stay in the same spot for a long time. She is easily bored. Also, she has always believe that life is meant for travelling and discovering the unknowns. Even when she was young, the size of her curiosity is too huge to fit into the small universe.

Teachers would often call home about her unstoppable movements around the classroom; shop owners would often bring her home after catching the girl wandering around the streets; and her parents would often sleep by her side to make sure that she doesn’t escape in the middle of the night.

The town is indeed big; but not big enough and she yearns to grow up quickly so that she can finally get out of here to embark on the journey of a real exploration of the outside world – wild and free. However, she soon realises that her definition of growing up doesn’t really match with the reality.

It was during that one fateful day in the library when Sojung finds another pair of hands that is heading for the same book she is looking for. As they look away shyly at the sudden touch before turning back to smile at each other, she stumbles upon an unfamiliar title that she hasn’t been invited to – love.

Yuju is a lovely name, indeed.

Maybe it is true that opposites attract because for the first time, Sojung returns home before the sun sets. The beauty of the glowing gold is instantly forgotten as she listens attentively to the girl on the wheelchair who is narrating about the synopsis of her favourite novel. That evening, her smile is all that she has seen and her laugh is all that she has heard. Her world suddenly revolves all around her.

The surging energy in her body automatically settles itself into the simplicity and the kindness of the girl. She admires even more, that the girl stays optimistic and doesn’t give up easily.

If reading is one thing she can find peace in, the girl would be another one.

Time passes in the blink of an eye and Sojung finally turns 21, which signifies that the time for her to leave finally arrives but she hesitates. How could she leave when the girl she loves is still here? All of these suddenly feels so meaningless and in the end, she choose to stay.

Maybe one day, Sojung thought. They will leave together when the girl is ready. No matter how long it is going to take, she will wait.

It’s a promise.

“Isn’t it beautiful?”

A wide smile appears on Sojung’s face as she hears the girl on her back hums in response. The breath-taking sight greets them the moment they reach the hilltop. Chilly air blows into their face and she turns around only to feel the familiar fingers removing her hair from the side of her face. She chuckles; the sweet gesture is enough to remove any leftover exhaustion from the body.

“You can put me down now.”

“No, I’m never going to let you go, at least not in this lifetime.”

Sojung feels a light slap on her shoulder at her attempt of a cheesy line. Giggles fill her ears and she leans in to rub her nose against the other. The warm radiating from the girl doesn’t fail to make her smile every time and she figures out that she will do anything to preserve that look of happiness on her face.

Her name serves its purpose; she is really her precious one.

“I am seriously going to kill you if my wheelchair gets stolen. My parents don’t have the money to buy a new one.”

Sojung feigns a look of ignorance as she suddenly recalls about the wheelchair which she has insisted of ditching at the bottom of the hill. “Don’t worry, if it really happens, you won’t need a new one. My legs will be at your service anywhere and anytime.”

“I’m more afraid that you will drop me.”

“Hey, watch your words!”

Silence falls upon them as they watch the sun gradually disappears into the horizon. She loves sunset; it reminds her of that fateful day when she first falls in love with the girl. Their encounter wasn’t a coincidence.  

Darkness sets in and both of the girl settle themselves onto the wooden bench. The outlines of the buildings from the city become visible with the illuminating lights. Then, little by little, fog engulfs their vision, allowing the city to drown into a mix of dream and reality. It is painstakingly beautiful.

“That’s Seoul over there,” Sojung points out to the girl beside her. “The big city.”

“I know.”

Yuju’s voice is barely audible and Sojung can feel the girl’s body shivers at the chilliness. Spreading more of the jacket towards her side, Sojung pulls the girl closer and put her arms around her. Like how the girl has always keep her warm, she is going to do the same.

“When I’ve saved enough money, we will move.”

“To where? Seoul?”

Sojung nods, “We will find you the best doctor there and get your legs treated. After that, I will find a job and we can buy a house, get married and have many, many kids together.”

“We are both girls!” Yuju exclaims in disbelief. “How can we get married and even have kids?”

The pair of eyes that is forming itself into straight lines is instantly diminished.

“We can go to America, or maybe Paris and I can propose to you in front of the Eiffel Tower. Imagine me kneeling down with a bouquet of roses and a ring under the witness of many people; you will say yes and we will share a kiss under the fireworks.”

“What makes you so sure that I will say yes?”

“Because you love me like how I love you,” the shades of red that is creeping onto Yuju’s cheek doesn’t go unnoticed by the girl and she thinks that she actually looks cuter. “We will adopt many kids, send them to schools and watch them grow up. By then, I would have retired and we can travel around the globe together. What do you think about it?”

Yuju is often surprised by how much the girl has planned about their future. She didn’t think that she is already looking into the future, let alone planning it. She feels pleased but at the same time, she has to acknowledge the fact that there is a fine line between what they want and what they will get.

A faint smile appears on Yuju’s face. Nights like this, her optimism fades away and the worries behind her smile become more transparent, like a piece of glass that Sojung can see through easily.

“But what if my legs won’t ever recover?”

Sojung hesitates a little and ponders.

“Then I’ll carry you on my back and walk – step by step and little by little, until we reach the end of the world. Just like how I’ve carried you up this hill, I will never ever give up. We will make it there together.”

Sojung holds her gaze into the pair of glistening eyes and as soon as the sentence is finished, the tears fall freely and land on her skin. Breaking into laughter, she reaches out to wipe away her tears and caresses her cheek.

“Silly, why are you crying?”

Yuju lowers her head in embarrassment and continues to sniffle until she feels a light nudge from the side. Then, her head is being forced to lay on the other girl’s shoulder and a quick kiss is being placed onto her forehead.

And she remembers the night becomes a little more beautiful than the others.

“I love you,” Sojung whispers into her ears.

Right, until the end of the world.

“I love you too.”