Of Duct Tapes and Proposals

Of Duct Tapes and Proposals

Chanyeol had been preparing this for ages, preparing himself for this. He could practically feel the weight of the ring inside the pocket of his jeans, that’s how long it had been located there. It’s a wonder how his longtime boyfriend (and sometimes partner-in-crime, literally), Baekhyun, hadn’t found it yet.

But then again, Chanyeol had also noticed that his tiny (at least when compared to him), but snarky boyfriend could be a bit blind to certain things.

At least to his marriage proposal, that is.

Yes, Chanyeol had been itching to pop the question for a half a year now. The first three months had been spent on thinking of a way to do it. Chanyeol knew for a fact that Baekhyun would want it to be something special and personal, because “Oh my god, Chanyeol, do you see this? This poor woman will have a boring story to tell when someone asks for the way his husband asked her to marry him”, and no, Chanyeol couldn’t have that. He knew from experience that where ever Byun Baekhyun went, he wanted to be the life of the party. Chanyeol also knew that Baekhyun preferred for it to be done in privacy, since “that poor man had the pressure of the crowd to say ‘yes’, what if he isn’t ready and now their future marriage will fail”, and Chanyeol definitely didn’t want to risk their possible marriage going down the drain, no way.

And in the midst of all this, he had finally thought of a way to ask the love of his life to marry him.

One day when Baekhyun had called him, saying that his stupid boss arranged more work for him, just because “he hates me, goddamn that Kim Jongdae bastard, one day he’ll get what’s coming for him”, he had the perfect opportunity to arrange everything.

He had bought this special “Glow-In-The-Dark” Duct tape and was now taping the words “will you marry me?” in the ceiling on top of their shared bed, hoping that once they cuddle together that evening, after turning of the lights Baekhyun will see the writing and hopefully, give a positive answer and after that they can have some mind-blowing fiancée .

That was the plan Chanyeol had.

Was.

When Baekhyun got home that night he was dead tired. As soon as he got home, Chanyeol went to him to give him his “welcome back home –kiss”, which Baekhyun kindly accepted, but immediately after went to the bedroom, claiming to sleep for weeks.

Chanyeol’s pulse started to race, knowing that soon his adorable boyfriend will probably run to him, (hopefully) say yes, and then they can proceed to the body worshipping part of the night. He was so excited for finally getting an answer to the question that has plagued his mind for months.

But nothing happened.

Chanyeol waited for few minutes more, gathering courage, because “this could be his way of saying no, no?” and he wasn’t sure if he was ready to face that yet.

After gathering himself, he took the steps needed to reach the bedroom, and with slightly shaky hands, he opened the door.

What he saw was his proposal up in the ceiling, glowing like it’s supposed to, but his boyfriend sleeping on his stomach face smothered into the pillow.

“Well,” Chanyeol thought, “at least I know the duct tape works.”

 


 

Surprisingly, months went by, and Baekhyun still hadn’t seen the proposal. At one point Chanyeol thought that maybe his boyfriend was just playing with him, having seen the proposal but not giving answer, but with days turning to weeks and weeks turning into months, Chanyeol came to the conclusion that Baekhyun wasn’t that mean.

 


 

At the six month mark one evening Chanyeol lost it. He almost a bit forcibly dragged Baekhyun to the bedroom (all the while making sure he wasn’t actually hurting his boyfriend, what a proposal that would be) and locking door. He had had enough.

“Uhm, Chanyeol? Everything okay?” asked Baekhyun with a bit of uncertainty in his voice. His boyfriend had just dragged him away from his favorite TV-show, so he knew what ever this was about, it was serious. (Everyone knew not to disturb Baekhyun when his favorite show was on.)

It took a minute for Chanyeol to collect himself and his thoughts before he spoke,

“Are you seriously this blind?”

That threw Baekhyun off. “Blind”, he thought, “why would he think I’m blind? Have I missed something?”

“Uh, Chanyeol, I don’t think we’re on the same page here…” Baekhyun said, turning his head a bit to the side to emphasize that he wasn’t following the happenings.

“Lie on your back, on the bed, now”, was the only thing Chanyeol said, and Baekhyun followed. At first Baekhyun thought that maybe Chanyeol had been sending him signs that he was needy for a ual release and this was a new kink of his. But when the lights turned off and something started to glow at the ceiling, his mind went blank.

Not in a million years would have he guessed that there would be a glowing “will you marry me” in his and his boyfriends ceiling, but there it was.

Baekhyun wasn’t a crier, or so he claimed. He usually tried to keep his emotions in check. But this time, just this time (and a few more, but he wouldn’t admit to those), he let his emotions run free.

Soon Chanyeol found a sobbing Baekhyun in his arms, shaking his head as a silent ‘yes’ and kissing his now fiancée on the lips as if this would be their last final kiss. Both of them were as happy as they could be.

At least before the mind blowing they had later on when Baekhyun’s sobbing had ceased. Or more like Chanyeol had given him a whole another reason to sob. That night they made love the first time as fiancée’s.

 


 

In the end, they both got what they wanted.

Chanyeol got his proposal noticed, although six months into the process.

Baekhyun got his proposal story, although he has to edit it a bit in order not to make a fool out of himself for not noticing it earlier.

And they both got each other for the rest of their lives.

 


 

(A/N): So, my first story here (hopefully first of many), I hope you liked it!

Please be kind and leave a comment, I’ll take everything from compliments to criticism! (:

P.S. If you want sequel to this (the wedding, honeymoon, what happened after the proposal read: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), or something completely different, I’d be up for it, but only if you guys want it too! So please leave comments regarding that! (: