The Scrabbled Paper

Time Spent Walking Through Memories

17. December. 2007

It was going to rain, Soo Jung was one hundered percent sure. It was very grey and gloomy outside and it was only 8 am. It was okay for Soo Jung, she liked rain and dark weather.

Because of Professor's presentation, the little light bulbs hanging on the ceiling were the only source of light in the big classroom. All seats were taken and everyone was silent, focused on the class. She was sitting in between Taeyeon and Tiffany, sitting in middle of a couple made her feel bad but the girls insisted so she had no choice. Soo Jung tried to focus on the class but even keeping her head up was too hard for her. She took out a paper from her notebook. She started scrabbling to keep herself awake.

"Are you okay, Jung-ah?" Taeyeon whispered.

"She must be tired because of the part-time work," Tiffany replied. One of her friends in the study group needed someone to help her at her part-time work and Soo Jung was the only one available so she accepted it. She had no idea the job would require too much strength, she was completely wasted.

"You really need to eat well and get some rest, Soo Jung. Plus, this a class you definitely have to pass so you should come ready and listen well. I'll give you my notes after, don't worry."

Tiffany sput her arm on Soo Jung's shoulder. Soo Jung thanked and smiled as she put her head to Tiffany's arm and left herself to Tiffany's embrace. She fell asleep within a minute.

Tiffany patted her head and woke her up slowly after the class.

 

"Wakey wakey Jungie, we have to go to the second class and you should have your lunch."

"Minho said he'll keep the Professor busy for us and I'm sure Kibum will be recording it." Taeyeon laughed brightly. "We'll watch it at the dorm." She grabbed her girlfriend's arm. "We have to go, Jung-ah. Make sure you eat well!"

"Okay, see you at the dorm."

Soo Jung stretched and fixed her hair. She realized the paper she scrabbled was stuck to her cheek. She made a move to take it but someone took it before her. One year younger than her, her art history class hoobae Lee Taeyong was holding the paper in his hand.

Ah... Lee Taeyong...

"Are you okay?" Taeyong asked as he pulled the chair to face her.

"I'm fine," Soo Jung replied. "Shouldn't you go to eat your lunch and hurry to catch your maths class by now? It's 9:10 am already."

"I wanted brought you lunch and make sure you are okay. You slept during the class. This is the first time you've ever slept in a class."

"I'm just tired, that's all. Thank you for the food."

Taeyong would always sit next to her in the cafeteria so eating together wasn't awkward for them. He found Soo Jung's smelling before eating habbit very adorable so he was always smiling at her while eating and Soo Jung always blushed. She saw him smiling at her again smelling her first bite and got up to throw a slow friendly fist to his shoulder but lost her balance and almost fell off with the table. Taeyong threw a big laugh and grabbed her arm to help her regain her balance. Soo Jung laughed as well but blushed a deep shade of red. The two ate silently afterwards. They both would only focus on food when they were eating so they didn't talk much. She wanted to ask Taeyong if he took the food from the school cafeteria or made it himself... As she knew, the cafeteria didn't offer food this qualified in every way.

"Ddudungie, can I ask a favor?"

"Sure, of course."

"Meet me at Shinbundang Line this Friday."

"Tomorrow? Why?"

"Nothing, just, there's some place I want to take you."

"I-" Taeyong put his finger to her lips and stopped her. He looked a little upset.

"At least say you'll think about it before saying no."

"What makes you think I would say no?" Soo Jung asked offended. She could feel her cheeks turning red. "I wasn't going to refuse, I was going to say I'll meet you there."

"Really?" Taeyong looked right into her eyes with a surprised look on his face. "I didn't mean to offend you, it's just... You always say no."

Oh... Do I?

"Let's meet in front of the big statue at 5 p.m... And by the way I'm keeping this paper. See you tomorrow."

Soo Jung watched him walk away with the empty food counter. She cleaned up her table with the napkin he left on her desk. She couldn't stop thinking about the paper he took with him. Why did he take it? All she remembered was just some lines and weird shapes she draw to stay awake. She forced herself to remember what exactly she scribbled on that paper. Think think think think... Think Soo Jung think!

Think well.

What if it's something embarrassing? Oh... Oh no... What if I drew him? Nah, I looked at him just a few times shortly during the class, why would I draw him?! Be reasonable, Soo Jung. Be reasonable... But what if I did?

She ran outside to catch Taeyong as fast as she could but she ran into her professor at the door. Her professor stopped her and grabbed her from her shoulders.

"Jung Soo Jung-sshi, where do you think you are going? Class is starting now."

"I'm so sorry, Professor but I have a terrible stomach ache. I'll go to the nursery and come back to class immidiately. Thank you Professor!"

She didn't look back and ran as fast as she could to catch Taeyong without even checking if it's raining or not.