Always wear an extra pair of socks

of cold hands and soggy socks
A/N: Held my promise to upload this before Christmas, yaha!
Well, it is the 24th today, I guess one can still count this as me holding the promise.
This OS isn't as long as the things I usually write, but I actually started writing this with the thought of it being a drabble. It ended up being over 2k words anyway, welp
Anyway, I hope all of you have a merry Christmas and I wish you all a Happy New Year.
May 2017 be better for all of you as well as for me lmao

Haven't proofread this yet!

__________________________________________________________________

Baekhyun trudged through the snow to the bus stop. It was awfully cold and to be honest he was in one of the worst moods possible. Thanks to Sehun – that brat, he had to work out their entire group work all on his own in the library. Not only did the librarian annoy the crap out of him by shushing him every single time he let out any sort of exhausted groan but the guy sitting next to him kept distracting him with his wiggling limbs.

 

And all of this only because Sehun had to get ill right now.

 

Baekhyun huffed angrily and came to a stop at his destination, his fingers practically dead by now. He should have taken some gloves with him this morning.
There wasn't even that much snow but he still felt as if it seeped right through the fabric of his shoes, wetting his thick socks and feet.

 

Looking at the display, Baekhyun sighed in an annoyed manner as he read that the next bus came in half an hour. Of course it had to be this way.

 

He tried hiding his face in his big and comfy scarf, only his eyes visible but nothing seemed to help. It was late evening by now and Baekhyun had spent basically the whole day at university and went to he library right after. The temperatures had therefore dropped massively compared to when he had last been out and he was now regretting that he decided against wearing an extra pair of socks today.

 

An extra pair of socks would have made the day so much better.

 

The lamp next to the bus station was the only thing that spent him some light. He didn't even want to take out his phone – he wouldn't be able to move his fingers anyway. Baekhyun basically didn't want to do anything except drop dead right then and there or get a cup of hot cocoa. He seriously needed to calm his nerves.

 

He spent the next few minutes alone at the station, standing there, wrapped up in his thick winter coat and boots with his ears and nose red. If only he could get some warmth, but even hoping from one leg to the other didn't help a thing – he had tried.

 

Baekhyun bit his inner cheek in annoyance and closed his eyes, deciding that he would just try to ignore the fact that all of his limbs seemed to have died by now. He was afraid that maybe even little Baekkie would be lost – or maybe even fall off?! – if the temperatures kept going lower and he definitely couldn't have any of that.

 

“Not in this life...”, he mumbled to himself and pressed his legs more together, trying to preserve some warmth.

 

It was then that he heard someone else coming closer, the snow under his feet scrunching with every step he took. Baekhyun opened his eyes again, peeking at the figure which kept walking closer. It was a tall young man, wearing all black with a cap on his hat. His ears were clearly visible even though the man was wearing a huge scarf just like himself.

 

Other than Baekhyun himself, the man seemed to cope with the cold fairly well. He even had the guts to take his phone out and play some stupid game while his free hand was kept casually in the pocket of his coat.

 

Blowing out his cheeks, Baekhyun huffed and looked away from the man for a short moment before looking right back at him. He was desperate to warm at least his hands which felt like the death himself by now but he couldn't just go up to the guy and ask him if he felt warm enough to warm his hands. Baekhyun may have been weird but certainly not to that level. Or maybe he was?

 

He slowly walked sideways to the guy, trying to be as unobtrusive as possible. It seemed like he was succeeding, the guy didn't even bat an eyelash. As soon as Baekhyun was close enough, he decided that this was a life and death situation and that if he waited any second longer he could not only wave goodbye to his hands but also mentally prepare himself to dig a grave for little Baekkie.

 

With the shovel in his mouth, that is, because at this point he would no longer have hands he could dig with.

 

Baekhyun mentally comforted himself, chanting over and over again that the guy wouldn't notice anything and that he had to do this in order to survive. He slowly retreated both of his icy hands from his own cold pockets as soon as he stood close enough to the man who was oblivious to his surroundings. He was so focused on his phone that he didn't notice anything going on in the world. Baekhyun scrunched his eyebrows together in concentration and stuck out his little tongue while pressing the palms of his hands together and slowly shoving them inside the unoccupied coat pocket of the stranger.

 

His eyes lit up happily as his hands were already halfway inside the pocket and the stranger didn't seem to notice a thing. Maybe the day wasn't as bad as he had thought! Baekhyun almost let out a relieved sigh due to the man's body warmth but reminded himself not to – he didn't want the stranger to notice after all! All Baekhyun wanted was to get some of his warmth, like a leech that no one would notice.

 

The blond student grinned, confident in his success, as his hands were completely inside the stranger's pocket. Man, he seriously had done such an awesome job at being unobtrusive, the stranger hadn't even noticed a thing!

 

Baekhyun peered at the tall stranger next to him, just to make sure, and looked right into a pair of unimpressed eyes.

 

.

 

, , , Baekhyun thought and looked at the stranger with big, round eyes. He had been so perfect in the execution of his plan, how could the stranger have noticed?!

 

They gazed at each other for a good minute, none of them saying a word. The stranger still held his phone in his right hand while looking straight at Baekhyun, the expression on his face never-changing. He slowly pressed the button on the side of it, locking it without averting his gaze. After putting his phone inside the pocket of his pants, he shoved his hand next to Baekhyun's inside his pocket and gently clasped Baekhyun's hands in his own big one – surprising Baekhyun even more.

 

“Dude, your hands are freaking cold. How come they haven't fallen off yet?”

 

The stranger's voice was deep and rich of vibration. Baekhyun thought it was the deepest voice he had ever heard in his life. Then he remembered Kyungsoo and Jongin and thought that this wasn't true at all but the stranger in front of him certainly did sound a lot more attractive than those two.

 

It took him a while to comprehend the stranger's words, but when he did, Baekhyun started to nod his head frantically.

 

“That's what I've been asking myself this whole time! They feel like they're completely dead by now!” He whined, his lips forming a pout. They guy's big hand was already doing a great job at warming both of his hands and Baekhyun felt like he was already regaining some of the feeling in both of them.

 

“Well, we should do something about it. The bus arrives in around 10 minutes.” The tall guy told him and took both his and Baekhyun's hands out of his pockets only to hold them close to his mouth. He blew them gently, Baekhyun's tiny hands in between his big ones, and tried to warm them a little more. Rubbing their hands together, blowing them with hot air, even going as far as hiding them behind his scarf and pressing Baekhyun's hands against his neck to get them relatively warm again.

 

Baekhyun couldn't believe his eyes.

 

This stranger in front of him was seriously something.

 

“Why are you doing all of this though?” Baekhyun asked quietly, the surprise he felt unhidden. “Well, can't have your hands falling off with me standing right next to you, can I? Besides – your hands are way too pretty for me to just let them die. I have to do something about it.” The guy replied cheekily, his lips forming a teeth-rich smile.

 

Baekhyun thought he may go blind if the stranger smiled at him like this one more time.

 

“My name is Chanyeol, by the way.” The guy told him while holding Baekhyun's hands against his neck. “May I know yours? I'm warming you up, after all.” Chanyeol asked teasingly while looking into Baekhyun's eyes.

 

With his nose and ears still red, he quietly replied, “I'm Baekhyun”, already feeling a slight blush creep onto the skin of his cheeks. He couldn't believe what the guy in front of him was doing or him. They didn't even know each other!

 

“Oh, but I know your name and you know mine. So we do know each other.” Chanyeol grinned and ruffled Baekhyun's bleached hair with one of his warm, big hands.

 

Damn, he should pay attention to not voice his thoughts out loud.

 

They stood like this for the next few minutes, Chanyeol doing his best to warm Baekhyun completely, even hugging him at some point in order to share some of his body warmth with him, and Baekhyun moving closer and closer to the tall and lanky guy.

 

Suddenly the time they had to pass until the bus came didn't seem that long anymore. In fact, Baekhyun thought it was passing by too fast and he was enjoying the whole situation a lot more than he should.

 

Chanyeol made a move to part from Baekhyun as the bus arrived but Baekhyun followed him straight away. “Do you need to ride this one too?” Chanyeol asked in a surprised manner, his big eyes bigger than before. He didn't seem to be displeased, however. Baekhyun nodded his head slowly and clutched Chanyeol's hand with both of his. “Should we sit together...?” He asked shyly while cursing himself in his mind. He usually was anything but shy and quiet.

 

Chanyeol didn't even reply but lead Baekhyun into the bus and searched a seat for the both of them. He even let Baekhyun sit at the window, as if he knew that Baekhyun preferred sitting there, and shoved both of their hands inside the pocket of his coat again.

 

They talked quietly, about everything and anything. Chanyeol studied at the same university as him, they both even majored in music but Baekhyun was a few semesters ahead. Because, surprisingly, Baekhyun was older than Chanyeol even though it didn't look like it at all. They lived in different student dorms but roughly in the same area, Chanyeol a few streets further than him.

 

If Baekhyun had known that shoving his hands into a stranger's pocket would end up with him meeting someone so easy-going, fun and nice he would have done it before.

 

They laughed quietly after Chanyeol had told him some joke which apparently his friends had told him was super lame, but honestly, Baekhyun thought it was fantastic.

 

They didn't stop until Baekhyun heard his stop being announced. “I have to get outside at the next stop, Chanyeol.” He told the tall man next to him quietly in order to not disturb the people around them even more after their laughing marathon. Chanyeol only smiled and pulled both of their hands out of his pocket again.

 

However, instead of just letting him pass, he lifted his lightly off the bus seat and pulled something out of the back pocket of his jeans.

 

“Wear these.” Chanyeol told him and revealed a pair of leather gloves. Rather than waiting for a reply, he simply put them on Baekhyun's now tepid hands and pat them a few times after he was done. “Don't want your hands to get cold after all the effort I've put into getting them this warm.”

 

Baekhyun simply looked at him with a shy smile on his lips before stuttering in surprise, “But wait, you can't just give me your gloves! What about your hands? And I need to give them back to you at some point after all.”

 

Chanyeol wiggled his eyebrows and have him the biggest smile Baekhyun has seen so far, his teeth basically blending him. “Are you gonna be at the bus stop tomorrow? Same time?”

 

And Baekhyun knew he was doomed.

Not only because the blush on his cheeks surely had deepened for several nuances but because he knew that he was going to wait at the bus stop tomorrow at the same time as today, freezing off his limbs while waiting for Chanyeol to arrive.

 

Man, those teeth were blinding.

 

__________________________________________________________________

A/N: I had trouble with finding and ending for this story, so I asked my friend and she helped me so much with the plot!
Thanks for helping me babu, you're perfect. I hope you read this.