✮ Unseen ✮

✮Silv3r Starl1ght: A Short Story Collection✮
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

✮ Unseen ✮

 

Park Chorong || Yoon Bomi [Apink]

supernatural. angst. friendship. 

Description: Having saved Chorong from getting hit by a car, Bomi started to follow the girl everywhere. Except, there's one problem- no one can see her, so everyone thinks Chorong has powers.

 

 

 

The first time Chorong 'met' her was when she almost got hit by a car. The car horn flanked, its lights shining painfully into the girl's eyes, but she was frozen to the ground. Her eyes as wide as saucers, she thought that maybe that was it, that was the end of her. Maybe it was for the better. She wouldn't have anything to regret in a life full of regrets, anyways. She was about to accept her death, anticipating the impact of the car as the tires screeched in protest.

But it didn't happen. Everything had happened so quickly. She felt someone tug at her body, pulling her to the side, and she rolled to the ground just as the car came to a halt right next to her.

Lucky? She didn't think so. She thought more on the lines of 'left alive to suffer'. Her breathing became ragged as she took in what had just happened. She almost died. Looking around, she tried to find her saviour, but the road was empty. It was as if the wind had pulled her to safety.

The car door slammed shut as the driver ran of his car. "Hey, you alright?" He called out, but Chorong could barely hear him as she helped herself up and stumbled to the walkway.

Running to an isolated corner, Chorong clenched her fists at her chest and cried her heart out. At all that she had been going through. And at her near death experience.

The year didn't start great for her. Her parents were at it again, screaming at each other, fighting each other down. It always happened if they were left alone. They would start arguing over the silliest things, and things would evolve to full-scale heated arguments. They barely cared about Chorong's welfare, never wondering if 'their child' was doing okay at school or if she felt scared whenever they fought. None of that.

And then came the silence. They were always busy, never coming back home until the middle of the night. Sometimes, they didn't even come home.

She dreaded to go back home, knowing she would yet be left alone once more.

She hated the cold, empty air when she's at home.

 

---

 

The girl headed to school with a forced smile, her brown hair hanging messily around her shoulders. She didn't need anyone to start at it again. She avoided eye contact with her classmates, hoping they would ignore her if she didn't utter a word.

It's gym class, and Chorong looked forward to playing basketball. It always helped her feel better somehow. She was bouncing a basketball when it happened.

"Watch out!" Her classmate barked, but it was too late. The ball came flying at her face before she could register that it was there. She shut her eyes tight, anticipating the blow but it never came. 

There were a lot of gasps and silence as Chorong realised people were looking at her. Opening an eye, she saw that the ball had stopped mid-air just milimeters infront of her face. Without anyone holding it. And then it fell lazily fell back to the ground, bouncing lightly for a few seconds.

Her classmates were staring at her, dumbstruck, and Chorong stared back at them with an equal amount of shock. She was sure she was seeing things, but her classmates weren't making things seem any less real. Before anyone could ask about it, though, the coach blew his whistle and asked for an assemble.

 

---

 

"What was that?" Chorong heard Namjoo whisper to her friend after class. It was lunch period, and the canteen was filled students either lazily strolling to the stores or already sitting down with their food.

"You saw that too?" Eunji asked.

"Yes," Namjoo hissed. "What was that? The ball just... just hung in mid-air."

Eunji could only shake her head. "I don't know. It's like something magical just happened," The girl frowned. "I was trying to hit her with the ball," She whispered almost too loudly, knowing Chorong was in hearing range. "She's just lucky today," She snickered.

Chorong felt her heart clench. She was used to the girls bullying and teasing her, but couldn't help feeling hurt over their words.

Having bought her lunch, Chorong was about to sit down when one of their classmates, Hayoung, came panting to Chorong's table where she sat alone.

"Chorong! How did you do that? That was awesome!" Hayoung gasped almost too dramatically, placing her hands on her legs. Chorong knew all too well that she was pretending to be nice to her so she could start making fun of her. Although it was only Eunji and Namjoo who would physically try to hurt her, be it tripping her or humiliating her, her classmates would start making fun of her too once they started.

"Do what?" Chorong frowned, nibbling on her fries, trying to avoid her gaze.

"That! You know, stopping the ball?" She tilted her head.

"I didn't do that," She shook her head. "It was..." She frowned. She didn't do that... right?

"Are you sure?" Hayoung asked, plopping down beside her. "Everyone's saying you have super powers now."

"What?" Chorong laughed. "That's impossible. Super powers don't exist. They probably watch too much shows," She snickered.

"Well, then prove it," Her friend Naeun appeared by her side and frowned.

Chorong rolled her eyes. "Seriously..."

She was getting more annoyed by the second. Who would believe in those kind or stuff? Definitely not her. Or were they planning something up their sleeves?

"Well how do you want me to do that?" She asked, defeated, going back to her fries.

"Mhm... lift a fry?" Hayoung raised an eyebrow.

"I mean, with my hand, or..." Chorong turned to her fries, when a single fry came flying up on its own, hanging mid-air. Chorong's blood froze.

"I-I did not do that..." She gaped, dropping the fry she was holding. The lone fry continued to hang mid-air, undisturbed.

Both Hayoung and Naeun turned their heads to Chorong so slowly, it was almost painful, their mouths gaping widely.

 

---

 

Ever since then, it didn't really come as a surprise for her to see objects flying about at her command. How Chorong did it, she wasn't sure. She appreciated it, but she was starting to think that maybe it wasn't her doing.

Somehow, whenever her classmates tried to embarrass her, the opposite would happen. Once, Hayoung had tried to trip the poor girl, but when Chorong walked past her, it was Hayoung who fell flat on the ground instead. No one thought it had anything to do with Chorong, but deep down, she knew someone was out there, helping her.

Chorong eyed the water bottle in her bag, willing it to lift, but it didn't. "It would be good to have some water right now..." She muttered, and it's just then that her water bottle lifted itself up and onto the table infront of her.

Her gaze narrowed, she flitted her eyes about the room but no one in sight. There was someone there, she was sure.

Was there someone out there... watching over her?

A small smile spread on her lips as she thought about it.

 

---

 

Bomi was getting impatient as Chorong never seemed to notice her presence despite how obvious she was being. Sitting by her bed, she watched as Chorong fell fast sleep.

If Chorong couldn't help her, then she would always remain stuck here, hovering between the living and the dead.

She'd tried doing lots for Chorong, moving her things from their original place, making things fly to her, even helped her believe she had "powers" when her classmates wanted her to lift something with her mind, and fought off her bullies; giving many signs that she was here.

But Chorong just didn't get it.

An idea formed in her mind. She decided if Chorong couldn't understand, then she would make sure the girl would believe she was here.

 

---

 

The night was awfully silent that day, and Chorong was awoken several times by loud pounding.

Finally tired of the sounds, she got up to her living room, but the pounding had stopped. "Must be the neighbours..." She muttered to nobody in particular, about to head back to her room when she heard it again. This time, the shuffling of feet. Chorong paused in her foosteps.

Something dropped with a loud thud in the darkness. Her heart thudding loudly in her chest, she turned to turn on the lights. She looked around her, the air getting chilly.

"Who are you?" She breathed. "What do you want?"

The silence she received was defeaning, and she gulped. Her breathing was getting louder. "Are you a ghost? Do you... need me to help you with something?"

Her heartbeat quickened as each second ticked by painfully. Feeling suffocated by her empty house, she quickly rushed out. Before she could reach the door, however, it swung shut with a loud slam and the lock clicked in place.

She tried to unlock it, but the lock wouldn't budge. Terrified, she quickly backed away.

"What do you w-want?" Chorong's voice trembled. A loud thud echoed in the house as a book fell from the shelf. "You won't hurt me... right?" She begged.

Slowly, the book that fell from the shelf lifted itself back, and the door unlocked.

"I can't see you," Chorong gulped, looking from side to side. "How do I help you?" The air remained empty. She stopped when she thought of something. Running to her room, she switched on the lights and grabbed a pen and paper. With trembling fingers, she placed them on the table. "Can you... can you write on the paper?"

Chorong would have believed the ghost had gone if not for the chilly air. The pen slowly lifted, and only the sound of pen scrapping against paper was audible. Finally, the pen rested itself back onto the table, and Chorong made her way forward carefully. She lifted the paper up.

'I'm not here to hurt you,' It said. 'I need your help so I can return to my world. I was the one who helped you avoid the car crash and saved you from the flying ball. Please help me.'

Reading the paper, Chorong felt slighty relieved. So... the one watching over her simply needed help.

Taking it as an act of repayment, she nodded. "Okay. What do you need me to do?"

 

---

 

If Chorong would have known, she would've wanted to remain scared of t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter