✮ Kin ✮

✮Silv3r Starl1ght: A Short Story Collection✮
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

✮ Kin ✮

 

Park Jaehyung [Day6]

angst

Description: When his father left him, he had always yearned for his family to be a whole again. Will his wish come true, or will he learn what it takes to have a family?

 

 

Since I was eight, my parents often fought. Like every child, I thought the quarrels were normal, something that would subside over time. But like every child's nightmare, they didn't. Instead, their arguments grew harsher, fiercer. Sometimes, I would get the lashing if I ever did interfere. It started off with something trivial, like forgetting to wash the dishes, forgetting to do the laundry. Then, it gradually evolved to things like forgetting to come home. 

My mom was seething, glaring at the door as if daring my dad to enter. Her long brown hair was lying messily around her shoulder. I hid in the corner behind the closet and the sofa, afraid to come out. Finally, the door slammed open, and a pair of heavy footsteps shuffled themselves in. I immediately recognised them as my dad's. Before I could even get up, a loud slap echoed off the walls. I froze in shock. Slowly peeking out, I catch my dad clutching the side of face, his cheek red as he glared fiercely at my mom who was seething at him with the same amount of anger. His black oiled hair was dishevelled, covering his face. Then before anyone could react, my dad raised his fist and punched mom in the face.  Gasping, I curled myself into a ball in my hiding spot. There was a moment of silence before my mom spoke.

"Do you know what day it is?" She seethed with her teeth clenched, clutching her swollen cheek. 

"I don't care what day it is!" My dad retorted, glowering. "You don't just slap me."

"It's Jae's birthday!" She screeched. "How could you forget? He's your son!" 

"Well how do I know he's really my son? It could be someone else's!" As if unconcerned, he threw his bag to the floor and fumbled for something in the closet. 

"What? How could say that about Jae?! Do you know how long he waited for you?" 

As if just noticing my presence, my dad glanced behind the closet, then his eyes flickered back to the closet, and grabbing what he needed, he closed it.

"What are you doing?" My mom got up, reaching for what was in his hands, but my dad pushed her away easily. My mom stared at the notes in his hands. 

"Is that my money? Put it back!" She ordered. There were about ten 50 dollar notes in his hands. My mom's face paled realising that that was all their savings my dad was holding. "Put it back."

But my dad merely shoved the money in his pocket, making his way to the door. 

"Give it back-" My mom tried to reach for the money, but my dad grabbed her arm, his grip tightening. "I won't let you gamble our money away," She growled.

But my dad shoved her hand away, and quickly left the house. 

Many things happened after that. My dad had squandered all the money away, leaving us with many debts. 

But that was the last I saw of my dad. My mom had taken me far away from the city, away from him. And although we hadn't heard from him since then, we had found out that he had been sent to jail. Apparently, he had stolen money, and hit someone with a wine glass when he got drunk. 

But that was the last we ever heard of the man.

 

 

I sigh exasperatedly, glancing at my watch every 5 minutes. It's half past twelve in the midnight, and I'm not done with my work. Speeding up my typing, I finally finished the last proposal and clicked send. Once I'm done packing, I rushed back home, knowing my mom would be worried sick. 

When I fling the door open, the house is dark. Frowning, I flicked on the light, finding my mother sleeping soundly on the sofa. Then she frowned, slowly her opening her eyes, shielding her eyes from the bright light. Before I could speak, however, she questioned me.

“Where were you?” The question was simple, yet, I could hear the worry laced in her words.

“I was at work. They won’t let me off. I’m sorry-” I started, but stopped when I saw that she had lay back down the sofa, exasperated.

“It’s not the first time,” She deadpanned.

“I know,” I say, but I know there’s nothing I can do. I can’t just eat snake and come home early. I would lose my job.

There was a long, painful silence before my mother spoke again.

“I’m scared,” She whispered, avoiding my eyes.

I sat down beside her. “Scared?” I repeated, confused.

“I’m scared you’ll become like your dad,” She finally breathed, fiddling with her fingers. “You’ve been coming home late, ignoring my calls, what if…” Her voice trailed off.

My eyes widened at her confession. Was this always how my mom felt? “Mom,” I stated sternly, holding her shoulder in place. “I’m not going t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter