four

sink into her darkness

 

When she wakes up feeling awful and realizes it wasn't all just a horrible nightmare, she is breaking from head to toe, aching inside and out, words clawing under her skin and trying to scramble itself into apologies but Yoona being Yoona, she has never been good at being honest or admitting her wrongs and doing what's right, so she locks herself in her ward and cries ugly tears of sins alone all by herself. 

 

(Possibly, the only thing that was wrong with Yoona was her fear of being unwanted.)

 

It's been over a month now since she has isolated herself from the rest of the world. There's a new patient who stays in the ward beside her. He's described as quiet and reserved. She wonders why he's here because he seems perfectly normal but sometimes, Yoona thinks that it's the ones who seem perfectly normal that aren't actually normal. 

 

Slipping out of her bed and tiptoeing across the cold wooden flooring, she goes over to the next ward. 

 

"You're not supposed to be here," he mutters.

 

It feels like the prickling of the cold is working its way underneath her skin as she inches closer to him. 

 

"Did you kill someone?" 

 

He doesn't reply and she doesn't press on because she doesn't really want to know. She just needs him to listen.

 

“I wished I didn't,” she whispers, trying so very hard to sound normal but her trembling voice betrays her.

 

The returning gaze that greets her is a muted black, and then the boy offers him the slightest crack of a smile. 

 

When the nurse tells Yoona that she has a visitor and she realizes it's Tiffany who dropping by her ward again, she's utterly disappointed because she has been hoping for Onew to come. She's never seen him ever since the day she's admitted here.

 

"I want to see him again." 

 

"He's not here."

 

"Where is he?"  

 

Tiffany sighs. 

 

"He doesn't exist. It's all in your head."

 

Yoona realizes she will never understand and it's pointless for her to say anything more now.

 

Park Bo Gum understands. 

 

Yoona thinks he's the shadowy sort of flawless, pale skin and dark hair and piercing bloodshot eyes with empty circles underneath, chaped lips and the haunting frame of a tragedy-stricken boy. 

 

He tells her that Onew has always been by her side. He is in the corners of her heart, her soul, her ward, and her everything. He isn't Dr Lee Jinki after all, just an indistinguishable replica of him, because she never figures how she knows Dr Lee is Onew and why she calls him Onew when he doesn’t even know who Onew is.

 

That night, she's in his ward again and whispers in the dark, "I'm scared, Bo Gum." 

 

“I’m right here,” he reminds her as his fingers comb through her hair gently, his arm tightening around her waist, giving her a sense of security no one has ever given her (not even Oh Sehun). So she doesn’t say another word, and instead, she closes her eyes and tries to sleep.

 

She finds out later that he already has a wife and that she’s really pretty, with eyes like diamonds and skin like pearls. Perfect Bae Joohyun, a name that fits her equally perfect face.

 

But she notices. She notices the smile that doesn’t quite reach his eyes, the magical moment that lasts a second too long, the gazes that are much fonder and more affectionate. 

 

Yoona mentions nothing about it. 

 

She learns, after weeks of being on Bo Gum's better side, that he's ticklish and more sensitive than she could have ever figured, talking about big dreams and making them sound attainable, and always touching her softly. 

 

She also learns that Bo Gum is a genius, with exceptional intelligence. The sole reason why he was in here was because he's plotting to take revenge against the culprit who had knocked down and killed his pregnant wife a year ago. The culprit did not receive any jail sentence as he was diagnosed with depression. 

 

His eyes are glazed over again, seeing nothing and everything at the same time. 

 

Midnight.  

 

"Will you escape with me after I am done with what I had to do?"

 

Yoona turns to stare back at him, and for once she glances into what she sees is a tortured soul, another dreamer, another boy wanting freedom.

 

And then it hits her, she realizes she really wants to be with him. 

 

"I'm not afraid anymore," she takes his hand, and the way Bo Gum breaks out into boyish, soft smile after that makes her heart whole for once in a very very long time. 

 

The night closes like velvet curtains.