Final.

Falling Petals. ❀
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Even the most blossoming flowers wilt, even the most beautiful petals fall.

Byunghun closes his palm gently, curling his fingers towards his him crushing the milk white petal that was lying innocently in the protective grip.

Chanhee, Chanhee doesn’t love him anymore

 

It started when Byunghun first turned 16.

 

Snow fell at an alarming rate. Crisp white flakes fluttered wherever the wind took them as they dazzled under the faint flickering streetlights, in a soft universal diffusion more confusing than the gusts and eddies of the morning. Their surrounding mildly reminds them of a fairytale setting, over the mountains and far away.

 

Despite the finger-curling freezing weather, a light blush was blooming across the boy’s cheeks as he felt a rush of heat hitting his face. He knew for sure though, that it wasn’t because of the cashmere coat that hung loosely on his shoulders nor the knitted woollen scarf that was wounded around his neck. In front of him stood his long time crush, Lee Chanhee, with a bouquet of sunflowers in his hands. Wrapped in a bright red trench coat and thick chinos, the latter held the bouquet out to Lee Byunghun, who had blushed even harder if it was even possible.

 

“I’ve liked you for some time now. Would you like to be my boyfriend?”

 

The warmth Chanhee radiated far overpowered any fireplace or heater in every household that dreadfully cold night and it set Byunghun’s heart on fire.

 

===

 

Seven years later, things stayed pretty much the same.

 

Lee Chanhee grew up to be a fine young man, a young aspiring writer at a local publishing company. His face still as pretty as ever, unmarred and flawless. Each day, he returns home to his boyfriend Lee Byunghun.

 

They had finally saved enough money to move to a more secluded area of Yongsan, Seoul where they bought a humble rooftop apartment. It may not be the biggest nor most beautiful house but each night, they cuddled in blankets under the glittering stars on their porch as they chug beers together finding warmth in each other’s presence.

 

Lee Byunghun on the other hand barely changed much, he was now working as a barista at a cafe but his overall appearance was still youthful as ever. And his height… Let’s just say he never managed to grow too much. But that was just exactly how Chanhee loved him, how he was small and holdable. How he fits perfectly in Chanhee’s arms like they were molded for each other.

 

===

 

Perhaps safe haven never lasts.

Happy endings are just unfinished stories after all.

 

A subtle floral scent wafted throughout the room as Byunghun stared in silence at the lone pale white floral petal that lay beside him on his pillow. The petal seemed to glow in the pitch dark room as it lies atop the clean pillow sheets in serenity, seemingly staring straight back at Byunghun in mockery.

 

The boy woke up finding himself breathless and coughing uncontrollably. His lungs burning as the nodes squeezed the life out of him. Curling his tiny fist into a ball and using it to hit his chest time and again, he finally managed to dislodge the white petal from his airways as he turned to his side as the petal finally tumbled out of his esophagus and onto the sheets.

 

Of course, Byunghun had read about Hanahaki disease before. Back in high school, he knew a girl from his class who took a month off school to get surgery for it. Hanahaki could be fatal if not treated and the only way to recover completely is to get surgery but there was catch. Once you complete the surgery, the love you habor for your lover would be forgotten, forever.

 

Byunghun never thought he would ever have to see petals coming out of his mouth. Never.

 

Maybe this was just a hoax, maybe he accidentally breathed a flower petal into his lungs when he was out walking their dogs this afternoon.

 

Yes that must be it.

 

Because Chanhee would never stop loving him. Never.

 

===

 

The faint pitter patter of water hitting the ground and constant sloshing of water indicates that Chanhee was still under the running shower. Mist slowly fogs up the mirror as the steam radiating from the hot water condenses onto the cool surface. The man hummed a casual tune with his soothing bell like voice, letting the hot water massage his aching shoulders from sitting in front of his desk trying to churn out his next article in his grey little cubicle at the office all day. The said was so engrossed in his relaxing shower that he didn’t hear his phone going off countless times.

 

‘Jagi ♡’

The constant flashing of light on the phone continues to go unnoticed as Chanhee finally pushes the tap firmly to stop the water to pump a dollop of shampoo onto his palm before lathering it onto his hair, just as Byunghun steps into the room.

 

Noticing Chanhee’s phone constantly vibrating, Byunghun goes into pick the phone up for his boyfriend when his heart stopped at the contact name. The constant flashing of it sent a thousand questions to Byunghun each time Chanhee’s phone screen lit up with the name ‘Jagi ♡’ constantly appearing over and over again as the phone continued ringing. Gingerly lifting the phone into his palm and sliding green round pick up button to the right carefully, Byunghun puts Chanhee’s phone to his ear.

 

“Channie ya.”

 

The other end called out, his voiced laced with affection and tenderness.

 

“Channie ya.”

 

“Yes Hunnie?”

 

“Nothing, it just sounds so right to call you Channie.”

 

“Of course, the nickname Channie is reserved to only be called by my Hunnie and no one else.”

 

Byunguhn’s left hand that wasn’t holding the phone flew over to his mouth as he cupped it to prevent an audible gasp from escaping his lips. That voice, he recognizes that voice.

 

Bang Minsoo, his best friend. The man he pleaded with to allow Chanhee to work at his publishing company so that the latter could finally fulfil his dreams of becoming a writer.

 

Bang Minsoo. Lee Chanhee’s boss.

 

“Channie, what’s wrong with you? Why aren’t you answering me?”

 

Byunghun could take no more as he swiftly hung up the call before placing the phone back to its original position. His hand on his chest to calm his rapidly beating heart down.

 

===

 

“Hello Byunghun, it’s been quite some time. I’m surprised you asked me out.” Minsoo was decked in a casual tight fitting T-shirt and jeans that showed off his y ankles accompanied with a pair of classic black vans.

 

The electronic dance music in the background gave Byunghun a pounding headache but he knew Minsoo was a fan of pubs and would definitely turn up if he asked to meet at one.

 

“Yeah hyung. I just wanted to catch up with you. Afterall, it’s been some time. How have you been?” Byunghun swirls his straw around his Mojito. The ice clinks softly against the glass each time he prods them with the straw.

 

“I’ve been alright. Things at the company have been slow though. Magazines don’t sell as much as they used to, especially with easy access to content online nowadays. I’m thinking of moving from hard copies to an online pay-per-view web page.” Minsoo continues to blabber about the economic status of the publishing company and how his magazine sales has been moving really slowly.

 

“How’s Chanhee doing hyung.” Byunghun took this opportunity to subtly pry into asking Minsoo about Chanhee.

 

Minsoo visibly stiffened as he fidgeted in his seat.

 

“Oh, he’s doing fine. Why the sudden question aren’t you his boyfriend why are you asking me?”

 

“I just wanted to know how was he at work. I was the one that recommended him after all.”

 

Maybe he was just overthinking it, Byunghun decided. Minsoo was his best friend and Chanhee was his boyfriend. He should trust them. The other day with the petal, he just probably inhaled a tiny petal when he was out the other day. And as for how Minsoo’s contact was ‘Jagi ♡’ on his phone, maybe it was just a prank that Minsoo played on Chanhee by saving his number with the affectionate contact name on it. Yup that explains it.

 

“He’s good, one of my best writers in fact. Might give him a promotion and a pay raise soon.” Minsoo chuckles as he downed his shot. The alcohol burned his throat uncomfortably as he felt a nagging guilt gnaw at him at the back of his mind. “I need the washroom. Be back in a b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter