Episode 2

The beginning of Kwangmong

It was July 5th 2010, Running Man was filming for episode 2. Thanks to the Variety Gods from episode 1, Kwang Soo had already (half) developed an onscreen persona of being pathetically funny. He was first to arrive (as usual) and had received the privilege of choosing his team members for the day. The other members began to arrive, and he naturally stepped to the side to allow his hyungs to take the main stage.

The first two guests to be introduced were actor Lee Chun Hee and Goo Hara from KARA, to whom Kwang Soo politely greeted. When the third guest stepped through the doors, however, he could not take his eyes off of her. Kwang Soo cleared his throat and straightened his tie and said hello as she walked past him, while his friend Song Joong Ki greeted this noona affectionately as they knew each other from a movie. To say the very least, he was infatuated with her as he thought to himself, "This woman is beautiful". When the time came to choose team members, he made sure not to make his little crush too obvious. He chose her first of course, but when he was asked why, he jokingly said that it was because he would not get along with the others. In his mind, he was thinking "Because I like her smile. Because I want to get to know her."

Out of everyone there, Song Ji Hyo only knew Joong Ki and was hoping she'd be in his team. Things didn't go her way, but she didn't mind either. She wasn't the type to shy away from things and besides, she was actually having fun. Kwang Soo had made a good impression on her with his jokes, and she had a feeling she would get along with him. Besides, Yoo Jae Suk was there - what could go wrong?

Ji Hyo, though excited, spoke of her worries about the physicality on their way to each venue of the episode, and Kwang Soo would quietly mutter under his breath, "I'll help you noona, don't worry". And help her he did. He would stand close to her, if not next to her and offscreen, he would try to give her advice despite not having much experience himself. He wanted to show off, as any man would in front of a woman they liked. Ji Hyo liked that. She was grateful to him, for it was he who made filming more comfortable and natural for her. She clearly enjoyed the fun, and he beamed at the sight of her laughter, "I like making this woman happy".

Filming ended soon enough and just like the week before, the cast and guests went out for dinner. Ji Hyo was tired but Joong Ki managed to convince her to stay, much to Kwang Soo's delight. They sat opposite each other at the very end of a long, rectangular table, with Joong Ki next to Kwang Soo and Jong Kook next to Ji Hyo on the other side. Kwang Soo began to inhale/exhale deeply as if to work up the courage to talk to her. This was his opportunity and he wasn't going to let it go.

LKS: "So did you have fun today?"

SJH: "Of course! Thank you for your help today, I appreciate it"

LKS: "No trouble at all, you were a natural."

He smiled his biggest smile at her and her heart melted. "This kid is cute", she thought. Then Song Joong Ki joined in the conversation.

SJK: "He's right noona, you were amazing today. You should join us, I heard that the PDs were looking for a female member."

SJH: "Are you actually being serious? I do think I'd actually enjoy doing this permanently, on top of filming dramas. It would be fun."

Listening to all this, Kwang Soo's heart started racing, "am I going to see her every week? If she does join, I'll have a legitimate reason to ask for her number." He jumped at the chance.

LKS: "Noona, it's true that they're looking for a permanent female cast member. Since the food isn't here yet, how about I go with you to talk to our PD now?"

SJH: "Sure, let's go!"

As they stood up from their seats, Kwang Soo turned his head to smile so that she wouldn't notice how happy he was. But while his focus was entirely on Ji Hyo, he failed to see that both Jong Kook and Joong Ki had noticed his joy and were now nudging each other under the table with cheeky grins.

The PD was most welcoming of the idea after seeing how natural Ji Hyo was in variety. She was to be a special guest for a few more episodes while they prepared the contract and afterwards, it would be announced that she joined the cast.

SJH: "Thank you so much, Kwang Soo-ssi. You are very helpful!"

LKS: "It's no problem noona. And since we are going to meet each other every week, we should get closer. It's alright if you want to drop the honorofics like you do with Joong Ki. I'll be more comfortable with that."

SJH: "Okay, Kwang Soo-yah. I'd like to meet up with you and the other members before next week's filming to formally introduce myself as the new member. When will you be free?"

LKS: "I'm free this Thursday and Friday noona."

SJH: "Let's make it Friday night then. Give me your number so I can contact you when I've arranged the dinner. I'll go ask the others right now too!" And on that note, she happily ran back to the table. Watching her from behind, Kwang Soo couldn't help but let out a little squeal of joy. Yes, she asked for his number instead of the other way around, plus it wasn't anything romantic. But this was enough for now. Kwang Soo was beyond happy, "she's beautiful", he thought for (most likely) the 500th time that day.

Ji Hyo turned around to say something, thinking that Kwang Soo was right behind her. But he was still on the other side of the room and as their eyes met each other's, he quickly looked down and started walking towards her/his seat. "Did I just catch him smiling? What was he grinning at? Was he staring at me this whole time?" She was curious about this tall, lanky guy and wanted to know more about him. She thought his smile was cute, but quickly brushed off the thought of dating a celebrity, let alone a younger one. "We'll be friends, we can be good friends".