one

No. 1 fan

Performer needed

Help create the atmosphere for a new café

Auditions Mon 3rd May 6pm-7pm & Wed 5th May 11am- 12:30pm

Details will be discussed at the café

8 ****** st, Seoul

Looking forward to meeting you J

Amber read the piece of yellow paper on the main bulletin at the front of the main entrance of the campus. "Hmm, this sounds like an awesome opportunity" she says to herself, pulling out her phone and takes a picture of the ad.

“Whatcha looking at Amber~” A person from behind hinders her thoughts and jumps on her back, almost making her fall. Fortunately, she recognised the voice. “Ugh Krystal you nearly made me fall” she mumbled as she trying to recollect herself. Krystal laughed in a mocking manner and asked again what she was looking at before taking a glance at the notice board. "Ugh, I was looking at this position at a café as a performer. I think it's perfect for me" She explains to Krystal. "Why don't we check out this café it seems to be close. I'm so hungry and I could honestly use some coffee right now" she suggested with her usual hint of aegyo. "Ok that's a great idea" agreed Amber and pulled out her phone and put the address in the GPS.

They arrived to the café which to their advantage was pretty close to the dorms. The café called Lunar Café was on the corner of the street with rustic brown tables and chairs surrounding it.  Walking in the café they both looked with awe at the vintage yet modern feeling of the café.

“Hi welcome to Luna's Café” a girl about their age greeted them as they walked to the register. Amber smiled and told the girl that she wanted an iced mocha. Krystal then ordered a large latte and a blueberry muffinn. Amber, being her distracted self as Krystal was paying for the both of them, read the girl's name tag and saw that her name was Luna.

“Are you the owner?” she asked suddenly. Luna looked up with a smile and nodded.

“And when did you open this place?” she questioned again.

“Today actually. oh, and was that take away or-”

“Eat in” Krystal interrupted; Luna looked up at her and smiled giving a slight nod.

“Take a seat and I’ll bring it to you when it’s ready” she said. They both thanked her and then made their way towards some seats by the window.  The café was empty and it smelt of fresh paint mixed with wood and roasted coffee beans. Amber looked around and saw all the different trinkets that Luna had displayed. There were black and white photographs of dogs, a blue watering can on a window ceiling, lights covered in coloured wiring hanging from the ceiling, a black bike with a white basket filled with what she could only assume was fake bread and flowers. Her eyes trailed around and saw a small stage at the back with a brown piano and microphone stand next to it. She immediately pictured herself playing there.

“What are you smiling at?” Krystal asked, breaking her friend’s day dream. She sheepishly smiled and pointed to the brown piano at the back. Krystal nodded and smiled brightly at her. "I can totally see you playing up there Ams"

 

"yea so can-"

“That’s my dad’s old piano which he gave to me to add something to my new café” Luna came in, interrupting what Amber was about to say. She placed the tray down passed them their order. “Here you go” They both said thank you. “Enjoy” she gave them a sweet smile and left.

"She has the nicest smile” Amber said suddenly. “Yeah she does” Krystal agreed. “she is really pretty too” she added. Krystal nodded and smirked “You have a little crush on her huh?” she wriggled her eyebrows. Amber's face flushed a bright red. “I don’t even know her Krystal” she took in a big gulp of her mocha and stole a glance at Luna who was wiping down the benches.

After finishing their coffee break they were about to leave until Luna stopped them. “Sorry umm I was wondering if you enjoyed the coffee and such?” Amber was about to say yes when Krystal interrupted her. “Yes everything was amazing, definitely going to come back again. I’m Krystal by the way and this is Amber" Amber gave the owner a small smile. “Oh Amber might audition for the performer position on Wednesday” Krystal suddenly said causing Amber to slightly blush. Luna's eyes widened. “Oh really, you definitely should. I won't be a hard judge" she let out a soft giggle. "It was nice to meet you both, I’m glad you enjoyed yourselves” "Bye" the two girls waved as they left the café, they then walked back to their dorms.

"Krystal, I don't know if I can audition" Amber admitted right after saying their goodnights."And why not!?" Amber couldn't see Krystal but she knew she was sitting straight up in her bed looking at her with her eyes wide open. Amber nervously smiled to herself and lifted herself up to see that she was right.

"I don't know I'm jus-"

"Really nervous and scared that you might not get it and maybe embarrass yourself in front of the cute barrister especially after I talked you up to her this afternoon which by the way I'm sorry but it is my job as your best friend to do so okay" Krystal let it all out in one breath interrupting her friend.

"Ugh Krystal why do you say it like that?" She groaned in frustration. She felt slightly annoyed that her friend was completely correct but at the same time thankful her friend didn't let her say "cute barrister" out loud. "I only speak truth" she replied and lied back down to go to sleep.

"Yes you do Krystal, yes you do" Amber whispered to herself before closing her eyes.

Wed 5th, May

Amber went over the audition song more times than she can count the day before, to the point where Krystal started to feel a little annoyed. "Geez Amber the song is perfect please stop playing" were the words Krystal said to the point she sounded like a broken record player.

The day had come and everything had to be perfect. She cleaned her guitar, drunk plenty of fluids and exercised her vocals. Krystal, being the most amazing human being ever, had left Amber a must wear outfit for this audition.

Outfit check

Guitar check

Music sheets check

Hair check

Finally arriving at the Luna’s Café, she felt more nervous than she did all week. She felt prepared and not prepared all at the same time which is terrible considering the amount of times she practiced this song. The song that she picked was one she wrote. It is a song she holds very dearly to her heart and chose it because her plan is to not only charm Luna with her voice but with the message the song holds, to hopefully create an ambience of home, freedom and dreams.

Taking a deep breath, she walks into the café and looks around to see it is free from any customers. She walks to the back when she remembers that a stage is there and sees Luna and three other people.

"Amber you came" Luna exclaims when she sees the short haired girl standing there. "We are just about to start, just need to check the speakers one more time. You can prepare your instrument in the meantime." She explained. Amber slightly nodded and took her guitar out of the case and tuned it once again out of habit. She looks around the café and notices that a few more trinkets were placed around including a dramatic painting of a singer and a guitarist, and a few plants placed around giving it a homier feel.

"Okay so before we begin, let me tell you a little about myself, the position and what I'm looking for" she announced into the microphone with a sweet smile. "My name is Park Sunyoung. Luna is my barista name because I thought it would sound cool and mysterious" She continued, adding a strange accent to the words 'cool and mysterious' with dramatic hand gestures. Amber smiled slightly at her adorable gestures. Luna cleared , feeling a little embarrassed and continued. "So, the position is a part time performer who would need to play Friday and Saturday evening where this café will turn into a bar. Also at any other time you wish, with a maximum of 20 hours a week. I'm looking for someone with passion, patience and a performers glow." She explained looking at each person. Amber thought about what she said and takes a deep breath to calm her sudden nerves down. "Let's begin" Luna exclaimed into the microphone catching the attention of all who are ready to audition. Amber looked around and took a good look at the rest of the audience. She recognised a person and immediately felt like she did not belong here. She brought her attention to Luna who was smiling brightly at everyone as if she knew that this process will be nervous for everyone involved which in a way calmed Amber's nerves.

"Okay so we will go in the order of arrival if that's okay with everyone?" She asked. Everyone agreed. This meant that Amber was going last which she wasn't sure if it was a good or a bad thing.

The first person went up and gave his resume to Luna, who is now sitting with the small audience. "Ok Park Chanyeol whenever you are ready" She said after taking a glance at the piece of paper. He started his acoustic rendition of SHINee's Dream Girl. Amber felt herself getting more nervous as she watched Chanyeol's complex guitar playing which she thought definitely put hers to shame. After he finished Luna simply said thank you and to wait until the end. She did not show any expression that could give away what she thought about the performance. "She looks different" Amber thought "She isn't as expressive anymore".

 She gulped silently as the next person went up. He gave his resume to Luna before proceeding to walk up the stage. He connected his Ipod to the system. "Ok Kim Namjoon whenever you are ready" The jazz inspired beat begun to play and Namjoon rapped. His rapping was very relaxing and the lyrics really helped create a chill environment in which Amber thought it is perfect for this café. After he finished, Luna thanked him and he went to sit down with a toothy grin on his face, proud of his performance. Amber looked at Luna's reaction and there was no emotion on her face. “She is really good at keeping a poker face” she thought.

The next person went up and gave her resume to Luna. Amber knew who she was. Her vocals can put anyone to shame. Powerful, crystal clear and smooth like velvet. "Ok Son Seung-wan whenever you are ready".  She smiled brightly and started to sing an accapella rendition of 'If I ain't got you' by Alica Keys. After she finished, Amber was really debating whether or not she should just walk out of there. She felt so out of place and could not possibly go up after those 3 amazing performances. She looked back at Luna's reaction knowing she would see at least a smile on her face. But to her surprise there wasn't any emotion that indicated whether or not she enjoyed the performance. Luna at this point reminded Amber of the poker-faced judges on cooking competitions.

It was now Amber's turn and to say that she was just nervous was an understatement.  She grabs her guitar and resume and proceeds to the stage. She hands Luna the piece of paper with shaky hands, almost dropping it. "Sorry" she breathes out, feeling her entire body heating up with nerves. She knows her face has turned to crimson and so proceeds to walk to the stage. Luna can sense her nerves and gives her a bright smile and a nod of encouragement before Amber sits on a stool and places her guitar on her leg. "Ok Amber Liu, whenever you're ready" the poker-faced judge said.

Amber takes a deep breath and can see Chanyeol whisper something to Namjoon who responds with a slight nod. She looks over to Wendy who has her attention on her phone. Her eyes hover to Luna who is waiting for Amber to begin with the infamous poker face.

Amber takes in a deep breath and closes her eyes and strums the first note of her song 'Beautiful'.

I hung my head low, avoiding the sky, hiding

The nights were endless in my dark heart, yeah yeah

I couldn’t spread my wings in this world that was like a small birdcage

With struggling movements, I’ll sing for you, who will come to me some day

Starting the chorus, she closes her eyes and feels herself being enveloped with her lyrics. The lyrics she wrote during a very difficult part of her life.

So my dreams that spread its wings can shine even more in the blue sky

So my coldly shut heart can beat again, I’ll go up in the sky to the stars

Outside the door, I always had anxious scars

I can only fly if I endured through the pain

Singing the chorus again she mentally prepares herself for the rap portion of the song.

Those hurtful words deeply cut into my heart

It hurt but I bit my tongue and endured

I know I’m gonna heal and I’m always looking up

Even if it’s dark, I’m gonna find the light

I will smile, I will keep smiling

I’m a fighter, I won’t ever give up

I’ll keep flying, fly, fly again

My dreams wrap around the future me

I’ma just be me yeah only me

I’ma just be me yeah yeah

I can fly higher without fear, even when I’m trapped in darkness

Any kind of scar is beautiful to me

I’m just happy, I’m happy to be myself

I’m happy to be myself

She strums the last part of the song and finally opens her eyes. She clears and walks back to her chair. She did not dare to look at Luna's face, knowing that she would not get any information anyway. "That song was beautiful. Did you write it?" Namjoon whispered to her as she was sitting down. "Yea" she answered with a smile, feeling relaxed after her performance. "You really touched my heart girl, those lyrics are seriously killer" he said to her in english and gave her a tap on her shoulder. "YOUR lyrics are killer man, that line 'life is more beautiful knowing that we've taken a loan on death (taken from his song life on his mixtape)' wow" Amber gushed. "Thank you, thank you" he thanked, smiling at the compliment.

 

"Thank you all so much for auditioning, you all did incredible. If I could I would hire everyone but this business has only just begun" Luna chuckled. "Please take a muffin, a little treat to thank you for your time and effort. I will call you all tomorrow so be on standby. Enjoy the rest of your day" She passed the muffins around to everyone and placed the tray on a table.  Luna then started to clear the stage and Namjoon and Amber decided to help.

 

 "This won't add to my decision making" she joked after they finished. The two helpers both laughed at her sarcastic comment. "Maybe a little" she added and gave them a wink. "I need to check a few things at the back. Thank you again. Bye" Luna waved goodbye and made her way to the back.

 

"So what are you going to do now?" Amber asked as they walked out of the cafe. "oh I have another audition" he answered.

"oh wow where at?"

"Big Hit Entertainment"

"You want to become an idol?" she questioned.

"Sort of.  I mean I want people to hear my work and influence the world you know. How else can one do that if not through the pop scene" he explained.

"Very wise Mr Kim" she chuckled. "In all seriousness, I hope achieve this goal"

"Thank you Amber" he replied in english. "I should get going now. It was nice meeting you. Hopefully we can meet up one day" He beamed. "Bye and fighting" she screamed as he ran off.

The following day

Amber had been thinking about her performance all day. She did not and could not concentrate on her lectures or to anything the Krystal was talking about. She was dreading the call from Luna. By the end of the day she thought that Luna must've forgotten she existed and was looking at other job offers. She laid on her bed staring mindlessly at the cieling waiting for the phone to ring and for Krystal to come home with dinner. If the wait didn't make her go mad enough, she was at the point that she was nitpicking her entireperformace and started to doubt her ability to sing, play guitar and write lyrics. When all hope seems to be lost, her phone rings.

Amber sits up straight and stares at her phone. Her heart accelerates when she sees that it is a number not yet saved on her phone. She slowly grabs the phone and answers it. She puts the phone to her ear and closes her eyes in anticapation. 

"Hello is Amber Liu there?" the girl on the phone asks.

"Speaking" she answered feeling dry up so fast becasue of her nerves.

"Oh hi Amber this is Luna from Luna's Cafe. How are you?"

"I'm uhhh good thanks, how are you?" she replied and then coughed to clear .

"Oh i'm great thank you. I guess you know why i'm calling. So I won't beat around the bush anymore" She giggled. Amber smilled to herself at how adorable her laughter is. 

"ehem yeah" she cleared again.

"Well..." Luna sighed. Amber felt her smile drop, forgetting why Luna was actually calling. She felt that what she was about to say next was not good.

"I guess i'll see you tomorrow" the barista finshed her sentence. Amber nearly dropped her phone but cleared once again.

"Ummm s-sure. Thank you very m-much" she stuttered. "Wait does this mean I got it?" She asked, not knowing if see you tomorrow meant the job position was hers or if there was a problem with the resume or maybe that she need to audition again which didn't make sense to her because Luna said it was regrading the job so why did she feel like her mind was going a million miles.

Luna inturrupted Amber's thought process with a laugh.

"Yes Amber. I thought your song was beautiful. I thought your voice was warm and inviting. So come to the cafe whenever you can so we can go over the details okay?" She explained with a hint of proudness in her voice. "Thank you very much Miss Park you won't regret it" Amber responded feeling her body calm down and a smile creep on her face. 

They said their goodbyes and Amber ended the call. Her grin reached from ear to ear and her heart lept with joy. At that moment Krystal walked into the dorn with bags of food. Amber stopped smiling. 

"Amber they didn't habe bbq sauce so I got tomato instead." She stated as she put the chicken down. "Did the cute barista call yet?" She asked as Amber walked into the dining room. Amber didn't answer. "Judging from your expression i'm guess you didn't get?" She continued speaking to the mute Amber. Amber lookd at her with sad eyes for a couple of seconds until she smiled and screamed. "I GOT THE JOB"


oooh it's up!

Hope you enjoyed it.