The Meeting

The Prince and I

Two noblewomen faced each other, separated by a low table with cups of tea on top.

The younger lady was inspecting the package she just opened, surprised of what she saw.

"They're beautiful." The younger lady commented as she touched the roll of pink silk.

"Was this what the Chinese traders gave to you?" The older lady nodded.

"You should be the one using this Unnie." The younger lady continued. The older lady just smiled.

"Ah I forgot, you don't have to think of these things, the palace would surely take care of these stuff for you." The younger lady added. "Thank you Yoo Mi unnie. I'll use this on my wedding to Seung Gi orabeoni."

"Seung Gi?" Yoo Mi inquired, stopping from drinking her tea.

"Lee Seung Gi, your first love before you got engaged with the Prince." Yoo Mi placed back her cup to the saucer.

"Yoon Ok." Yoo Mi could not think of what to say.

"Why unnie? You still have feelings for him?" Yoon Ok questioned.

"It's not that...It's just that...we were..." Yoo Mi replied.

"You were lovers before maybe you were really in love with each other, but that was all in the past now. I am now his fiance and you are the prince's" Yoon Ok interjected.

"We are just waiting for the date to be set." Yoon Ok said happily. "Of course, as a courtesy, we will get married after you."

"Have you seen the Prince?" Yoon Ok asked. " I bet that you would just meet him during the wedding ceremony. Well, rumors say he is a trouble maker. He lived outside the palace as a child and when he got older would disguise himself as a common nobleman, going from one pub to another for some entertainment."

"Yoon Ok." Yoo Mi tried stopping her.

"But those are just heresays. We will only know what is real when you get there. I wish you luck unnie. Wish me luck also with Seung Gi orabeoni."

"Yoon Ok. Why are you doing this?" Yoo Mi stared straight into her eyes. "Are you trying to humiliate me?"

"Why would I do that unnie? You will be a princess soon." Yoon Ok's defense. "It's just that you will be to a flawed prince."

"I will be a princess soon so don't you dare try insult me or my future husband." Yoo Mi stood up from her seat. "Remember your place."

"You are too early to be arrogant agasshi. You're forgetting you're on another household." Yoon Ok's mother Madam So entered the room, glaring at Yoo Mi.

"Everyone knows that Prince Joon Young is useless, too weak to fight, too simple minded to know the matters of the state. He will just be a puppet King in the future. And you're father sold you off to the palace to get close to the King by helping him clear up his son's name."

"Madam!" Yoo Mi raised her voice.

"What a shame." Madam So shook her head as she looked at Yoo Mi from head to toe.

"Just be thankful that we have given you a heads up." Madam So said smiling. Yoo Mi tightened her grip on her yellow gold skirt.

"Don't worry I won't forget to tell my husband, the future king, how disrespectful your family is to him." Yoo Mi smiled sarcastically.

"Are you mocking us?" Yoo Mi did not answer and walked past Madam So.

"How rude." The mother and daugher simultaneously commented.

"Sa Wol." Yoo Mi called her servant to help her wear her shoes.

"Omo." Sa Wol exclaimed as Dan Ji, Lady Yoon Ok's servant, was still wearing her Lady Yoo Mi's shoes. Sa Wol lifted up her skirt to cue Dan Ji to bring back the shoes but the other servant misunderstood this and lifted her skirt as well.

"Who are you to dare wear my shoes?!" Yoo Mi said firmly, eyes pierced to the servant. "The servants of this house are rude as well."

"I'm sorry agasshi. They're just so beautiful." Dan Ji stuttered as she put back the shoes in front of Yoo Mi. Sa Wol then wiped them before reaching out for Yoo Mi's foot.

"Throw them away." Yoo Mi commanded making the servants shocked. "I won't wear something that a servant has worn."

"But agasshi, you still have to walk towards the palaquin." Sa Wol said.

"Then bring the palaquin here in front of me." Yoo Mi ordered.

"Agasshi...the palaquin would not be able to get through the doors." Sa Wol reminded her.

"What's happening here?" Yoon Ok asked as she get out of her room through the other door. "You can borrow my shoes."

"I don't want to wear something you've worn." Yoo Mi said sternly.

"What?!" Yoon Ok turned to her irritably. "What do you want then a silk carpet for you to walk on, tsk?"

"Let me see a silk carpet laid down for me." Yoon Ok and the two servants were suprised at Yoo Mi's statement.

"Here is some of the silk. Call the other servants to set up the carpet for our future princess." Yoon Ok ordered as she threw the pile of silk that Yoo Mi just given her.

"If it's not enough. Gather all the silk in this house." Madam So added as she came out of the house after Yoon Ok.

"Agasshi...let us stop this before it gets out of hand." Sa Wol tried convinicing her master.

But Yoo Mi knew that it was too late as the servants have already set up the silk carpet until it reached her palaquin.

"Whose house is that?" Prince Joon Young asked his personal royal guard and best friend Captain Choi Tae Joon. They were on another incognito trip outside the palace.

"If I remember it right, it is the Defense Minister's house." Captain Choi answered.

"Why did they set up a carpet of silk?" Prince Joon Young getting curious.

"I'll ask around." Captain Choi replied. He asked the last servant left near the palaquin.

"Your Highness..." Captain Choi was thinking twice if he would divulge the details to the prince.

"It is...for the future princess...your soon to be wife Lady Gook Yoo Mi." Prince Joon Young looked at the captain before smiling mischievously.

"Why did she demand something like that?" The prince probed.

"After a heated argument with the mistresses of the household, she came out to find that a servant has worn her shoes." Captain Choi reported. "She refused to borrow shoes from Lady So, so the Lady offered the silk carpet."

"And my future wife shocked them by accepting it. This is interesting." Prince Joon Young smiled. "Let us stay here for a while. I want to see how this test of pride will turn out."

"We hope that you will not forget our hospitality." Yoon Ok smirked as she pointed to the silk of different colors rolled out for Yoo Mi to pass through. Madam So looked at her again condescendingly.

"Never." Yoo Mi gripped her skirt tightly before lifting it up to place her foot on the silk.

"Agasshi! Don't do this..." Sa Wol tried stopping her mistress.

"Move aside..." Sa Wol did not bulge.

"I said move aside." Sa Wol gave up and assisted Yoo Mi.

Yoo Mi then remembered what Yoon Ok and her mother said to her and she held up her head high as she walked through the carpet, shocking and making everyone bow to her.

"Is that her? Is she my future princess?" Prince Joon Young mumbled.

Prince Joon Young examined her from a distance and could not help but smile as he discovered, "She's not that bad."

As Yoo Mi was about to board her palaquin, they heard men shouting.

"Out of the way! Out of the way! Catch the cow!" A cow got detached from its rope and now running through everything that hinder its path and towards Yoo Mi's palaquin.

"Sir!" Captain Tae Joon tried stopping his master but he was too late. The Prince already ran to the scene to save Lady Yoo Mi.

When the dust subsided, Prince Joon Young coughing while lying on the ground with Lady Yoo Mi on top of him and leaning on his chest was revealed to everyone.

"Yoo Mi!" A man slowly assisted Yoo Mi, her eyes still fixed on the prince's.

"Are you alright?" Only then did Yoo Mi broke eye contact.

"Seung Gi, why are you here?" Yoo Mi was confused.

"Sir, are you alright?" Captain Choi asked the prince who refused his hand and was somewhat irritated when he got up.

"You're forgetting something." Prince Joon Young in to Yoo Mi and Seung Gi's conversation.

"And who are you?" Seung Gi asked the Prince.

"Her future husband." The Prince original answer on his mind but he rather said, "Her savior."

"Thank you so much Sir." Yoo Mi unknowingly bowed to her future husband.

Prince Joon Young was about to wipe the dirt on Yoo Mi's face when Seungi stopped him.

"What do you think are you doing?" Seung Gi looked at him straight in the eye. Yoo Mi wiped the dirt on her own. "Don't touch her."

"And who are you?" Prince Joon Young's interrogation.

"I am..." But Yoo Mi stopped him. "Thank you Sir for saving me. You can leave your name and address to my servant and I will send you enough compensation."

"I want to receive it, right here, right now." Prince Joon Young said stopping her from turning her back on him.

"What do you want?" Seung Gi asked.

"I want your hand." Prince Joon Young continued.