SEASON OF LOVE (YoonYul Ver.)

SEASON OF LOVE (YoonYul Ver.)

 

SEASON OF LOVE (YoonYul Ver.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*



Yuri sighed, and huffed as she tightened the worn out scarf on her neck – drawing fog mid-air. She adjusted the scarf once more before resuming to raking the snow on the pathway. The December chill sent shivers on her spine, and she could barely feel her extremities due to the numbness from the cold, yet, she pushed herself to endure and continue.



As Yuri shoveled the last of the snow on the pavement, Mrs. Kim, the kind house owner went out to greet her by the porch with a cup of hot coco in hand.



“Here Yuri-ah. A little something to warm you up. Omo, your lips are turning blue. I told you to come in for a while. It’s freezing out here!” the middle-aged woman chastised.


“It’s okay Mrs. Kim. I have to head to Mrs. Choi’s after anyway so I had to rush this.” Yuri said meekly in between sips of her drink.


“Oh, is that so? Aigoo, this kid! You work so hard. And how many times do I have to tell you to call me umma?” the old lady reprimanded Yuri with her hands on her hips – the wrinkles on the sides of her eyes furrowing a tad bit more.


“I’m sorry, Taengoo umma.” Yuri replied as she finished the contents of her cup, making sure to use the nickname the elder lady insisted to be called so as to divert her attention from her scolding.


“Take a rest once in a while, okay? And say hi to Sooyoung for me. That old hag hasn’t visited me since World War II.” Mrs. Kim ruffled Yuri’s messy locks in a mothisly fashion before handing her an envelope which contained her pay for the day.



Yuri gratefully accepted  said envelope, and sneaked a peak into it as soon as the elder woman turned her back. She was surprised to find that the amount inside was twice than what she was supposed to receive, and being the honest woman that she was, she immediately knocked on the front door to return the excess money.



“Mrs. --- I mean, umma. Thise seems to be a mistake. The money in here is too much.” Yuri attempted to hand back the extra bills only for it to be pushed back into her hand by a smiling Mrs. Kim.


“No Yuri-ah. That’s really for you. Think of it as an early Christmas present from me.”


“But ---“


“No buts. I’d be upset if you refuse to receive it. I know you need it, daughter. Get something edible for your Christmas Eve meal. And I do not mean ramen, understand? Or better yet, buy Yoona something special.”


“Actually, thise is something I’ve been wanting to give her for the longest time.”


“Very well then. But no ramen, okay!? Well, you better get going now. Sooyoung has always been pissy about being asked to wait, and I’m pretty sure thirty years has done nothing to change that.”
 the lady chuckled at the memory of her friend’s rathis erratic temperament.


“Oh crap! I’m dead meat! Thank you, umma! See you next week!” Yuri hastily muttered as she checked the time on her wristwatch – adjusting the string she used as a makeshift strap so it wouldn’t fall.



Yuri mounted her bike in record time, and was out on the street in mere seconds. She pedaled with all her might, slipping in through shortcuts she had come to familiarize in the couple of years that she spent in town, and avoiding wet puddles of water, and the frozen snow. She slowed down a little as she neared a familiar establishment and halted in front of a glass mirror – staring longingly at the displayed item.



Yuri patted the envelope on her back pocket and allowed herself a small smile.



“Just a little bit more, Yoona-yah.” Yuri muttered to no one in particular before she continued to pedal her bike towards the general direction of the Choi’s residence.



~



Yoona wiped the sweat on her brow with the sleeve of her shirt. She sighed as the waiter who was also her best friend, Tiffany, came through the kitchen’s double doors carrying a tray full of more dishes to be washed. Tiffany smiled at her apologetically before dumping said dishes onto the growing pile of plates on the sink next to Yoona.



Yoona thought of how her girlfriend, Yuri, would act if she saw her like this. Yuri didn’t even let her lift a finger back at home yet here she was, slaving herself over a couple of bucks just so she could save enough money to buy Yuri a decent Christmas present once and for all. She felt guilty for working behind Yuri’s back, but her desire to give Yuri something special for Christmas outweighed her guilt so she forced her best friend to ask her girlfriend Jessica, the restaurant owner, to give her a job – any job. She didn’t expect to end up as a dish washer, yet she knew she couldn’t complain. Finding a job was hard especially for someone like her who didn’t have a college degree.



Yoona and Yuri had dropped out on their sophomore year when Yoona’s parents found out about their relationship, and threatened to break them up. Yoona’s dad was ballistic when he learned that his daughter was lesbian. He had wanted her to marry a nice Christian boy, and take over the chairmanship of their company when the time comes for him to retire, but his hopes were crushed when he found Yoona straddling Yuri on her bed when the former forgot to lock her bedroom door one fateful afternoon. Yoona’s mother on the other hand didn’t say a thing but her silence hurt Yoona more than her father’s slap on her face.



The both of them decided to elope after Yoona’s father announced that she was to marry the son of his business partner. Yoona could vividly remember the night when she turned her back from her home – leaving everything she had behind with only Yuri’s grip on her hand holding her up and preventing her from breaking down. Yuri had promised her then that she would do anything to keep them together, and that she’d give Yoona the life of luxury she deserved. Then again, everything in this world seems to be easier said than done.



Not that Yoona ever regretted her decision to be with Yuri, though. She loved… loves the woman with every fiber of her being. Nonetheless, there were nights when the hunger became almost unbearable; the frustration of barely being able to make ends meet taxing their relationship and they end up fighting. Yoona just didn’t understand why Yuri insisted for her to stay at home and not work. Yoona was as much a part of their relationship as Yuri was, and she thinks that the latter shouldn’t shoulder all their problems on her own. Yet, despite their meager living conditions, Yoona finds that she was content with just having Yuri by her side. She found the happiness she hadn’t achieved in the luxuries she had once experienced in Yuri, and she knew that if she was given the chance to turn back time and have a do over, she wouldn’t have done things othiswise.



Yoona stretched her back and continued to scrub the plate she was holding. This was a very minute sacrifice as compared to how Yuri worked three jobs to support them.



Yoona finds herself smiling despite the sting of the detergent on her hands.



~



“1-2-3. Surprise!” Yuri shouted as she removed Yoona’s blindfold.



Yoona giggled as she was greeted with the sight of a full table – something she hadn’t seen in a long time. watered at the sight of the roasted chicken (it was whole, not the usual two slices), ham, spaghetti, cake, and othis dishes that Yuri has prepared.



“Yul, where did you get all these?” Yoona gaped in awe.


“Bought it of course, silly! I’m not a thief, you know.” Yuri snickered at the amused look on her girlfriend’s visage.


“I know but – this is too much. You could’ve just saved the money and –“ Yoona trailed off as she saw Yuri’s crestfallen face.


“Why? Do you not like it?” Yuri’s eyes were downcast – disappointed that Yoona’s reaction wasn’t what she had expected.


“No! Of course I like it Yul! You know I didn’t mean it that way. It’s just that… it would be such a waste. How many boxes of ramen could we have bought with the money you spent on these? Wait… How much did you spend on these!?” Yoona flailed her arms – eyes widening as she realized how much a ball of ham cost these days, yet holding herself from whining as he was afraid that Yuri might misunderstand her reaction.



Yuri couldn’t stay sulky even if she wanted to. She was a er for Yoona’s aegyo, and a couple of years living under the same roof didn’t make her immune to Yoona’s pout. She could very well say that Yoona is the Achilles heel that she was glad to have.



“Ssssh. Relax, Yoong. Taengoo umma gave me a bonus. She said I should buy us something nice to eat for Christmas Eve and that ramen doesn’t count. Who am I to deny her that, right?” Yuri smiled at Yoona reassuringly as she placed a slice of ham on her girlfriend’s plate.


“Well… I guess it wouldn’t hurt to take a bite. I mean, you already bought it so ---“ Yoona didn’t even get to finish her sentence as her attention shifted to the food in front of her. She ravaged everything she could reach, and was about to demolish the cake when she noticed her girlfriend’s silence. She peeked into Yuri’s face, and was surprised to find that Yuri was crying.


“You just said a couple of minutes ago that I bought too much, yet you managed to finish everything in the blink of an eye.”Yuri whispered bitterly as she reached out a hand across the table to wipe the icing on Yoona’s cheek.


“Sorry, Yul! I just couldn’t help myself. Don’t cry! Here, let me feed you some cake.” Yoona frantically reached for her fork, and was about to shove a humongous portion into Yuri’s mouth when the latter lightly shoved her hand away.


“ Hey! I’m not crying because of the food, Yoong. “ Yuri pouted before she continued: “Just… eat. I know you miss this. I-I’m so sorry. I know that I promised you that I’d give you everything you want, but look at this… look at us. I don’t deserve you, Yoong. I’m so so sorry. It’s fine if you would want to leav---” Yuri wasn’t able to continue as she choked on her tears while she gestured around the small space they had as an excuse for a home.



Yoona could feel Yuri’s sadness, and she thought it was uncalled for. If only Yuri knew how no amount of food, or any other material wealth, would be enough to trade Yuri with. Yuri’s sobs were halted as Yoona stood across the table, and brought their lips together in what she supposed was a reassuring gesture. Yoona poured all her emotions into the kiss and she hoped against hope that Yuri understood the feelings she wanted to convey.



“Hush, Yul. Never. I mean, never ever think that I once regretted coming with you because I don’t. I never did. I’ve always been a semi-vegetarian anyway so my parents could it up.” Yoona added jokingly so as to appease her girlfriend’s upset.



Yuri felt considerably lighter upon hearing Yoona’s words, and they forgot that the conversation even happened in no time. They were chatting about how Mrs. Choi’s cats seemed to have a mind of their own and Yuri was in the middle of telling Yoona that she was pretty sure that Kyungsan was Mrs. Choi’s son somehow as they had the same attitude when the clock on the wall cheered – signaling that it was midnight and that it was officially Christmas.



Yuri excitedly reached into her back pocket where she retrieved a red velvet box while Yoona hurriedly strode to one of the cupboards, and rummaged through it – emerging with a neatly wrapped package in one hand, in pink, of course.



“You didn’t have to –“ they both said in unison as soon as they saw each others’ present. They chuckled to themselves at how in synch they still were despite how long the time may have passed.



Yoona and Yuri exchanged parcels from across the table and concentrated on opening their respective gifts. They both stiffened as their gazes met – Yoona’s tears mirrored in Yuri’s equally dark orbs.



“I-I don’t have my watch anymore. I was going to buy you a gift using the bonus Taengoo umma gave me but she did say to buy something nice to eat and I’d feel guilty if I didn’t do so. I mean, I couldn’t just tell her we ate these and that when all we had was ramen and – “ Yuri fiddled with the metal watch strap on her hands – Yoona’s gift that was now useless to her.



When Yuri looked back up, she was alarmed to see that Yoona was sobbing. She hurriedly got up from her seat and brought the latter’s trembling figure into her arms.



“I’m very sorry, Yoong. Don’t worry. I’ll get my watch back from the pawnshop if you want. I guess it would take me months, but I’ll manage. At least you have a chain for your ring now, right? Didn’t you say you’ve always wanted that? Here, let me –“ Yuri stopped as she looked at Yoona’s hands which had wounds and bruises all over – barely registering the absence of the tiny piece of silver on Yoona’s ring finger.


“Yoong? What’s this? Where did you get these!?” Yuri was sporting a worried look which made Yoona guilty all the more.


“I’m sorry, Yul! I just wanted to get you something special even just this once. I know you’ve been having a hard time with just a string of rope to hold your wristwatch up ever since the strap broke. I-I worked in Jessica’s restaurant, and I was gonna use my salary to buy you a gift but I broke an expensive piece of china when I was washing it so I had to pay for it. I sold my ring instead.”Yoona managed to tell her story in between hiccups and whispers – wetting Yuri’s shirt in the process.


“But that’s the only thing you have left from your family.” Yuri chastised albeit half heartedly – rubbing small circles on the younger’s lower back in an attempt to soothe her.


“And so was your watch!” Yoona pointed out as she pouted while looking up to her girlfriend.



Yuri could only laugh as she realized that Yoona had a valid argument. Yoona could only sigh in relief as Yuri’s scowl finally softened, and her lips slowly upturned into a smile.



The couple finished what’s left of their food (they had to since it will be spoiled by morning and they had no refrigerator to keep it in) whilst sipping the cheap wine Yuri had managed to procure for them.



Yoona and Yuri finally felt the effects of the alcohol in their system and decided to retire to bed at half past one – very much content with their Christmas eve; not only in terms of food, of course.



Yoona settled her head on Yuri’s arm while the latter wrapped her free hand on Yoona’s waist and brought her closer, nuzzling Yoona’s neck with her nose. Just as Yuri was about to drift to sleep, Yoona broke the quiet.



“Yuri-unnie?” Yoona disrupted the silence.


“Hmmm?” Yuri’s sleepy voice answered.


“Are you still mad at me?” Yoona asked cautiously.


“You know I could never get mad at you, Yoong. And besides, I’m guilty of the same thing too so we’re even.” Yuri chuckled – earning her a light punch on the arm from her lover.



A few moments of silence elapsed once more. Yuri thought Yoona had finally dozed off when the latter spoke once again.



“Yul?”


“Yes, Yoong?”


“You’re my family now.”


“Eh?”


“Family heirlooms – that ring, in particular, don’t mean anything anymore. You’re my family now.” 
Yoona said so earnestly that Yuri could basically feel the warmth from Yoona’s words and felt it embrace her heart.


“I love you too, Yoong.” Yuri whispered knowingly into Yoona’s ear – causing the younger to blush.



So, Yuri actually knew what she meant. She never thought of Yuri as someone who was good at reading between the lines, but Yoona was glad that she did. Yuri understood her in a way that no one else can which only makes Yoona realize that it’s okay to have given up the luxuries she had if she could have this.



“I-I…lo…ve… I…” Yoona stuttered. She was never one to throw those three words freely – afraid that they’d eventually lose their meaning if thrown casually. In fact, Yoona had always been so amused (and perhaps a little jealous) as to how Yuri could manage to say it to her every day and still stay genuine every time.



Yoona wondered how a blabber mouth like her couldn’t utter three simple words that even toddlers have no problem enunciating. She felt compelled to reciprocate Yuri’s confession, yet her phobia got the better of her. She trembled in Yuri’s hold; the elder must have sensed her discomfort and brought her lover closer to her side – pressing a swift kiss on Yoona’s temple to convey that she understood.



“It’s okay. You don’t have to say it. I’ll wait. Merry Christmas, Yoong. I love you.” Yuri whispered before she hummed a tune that sounded so familiar to Yoona which may have been from her distant childhood.



Yuri’s deep voice soothed Yoona’s nerves in no time that the younger felt her eyelids flutter – the tune lulling her so closely to sleep.



“Merry Christmas, Yul. I love you too.” Yoona uttered so softly before letting herself succumb to sleep. Now that she had let it out, she found that it wasn’t too bad after all.



Yuri only managed to hear Yoona’s confession before the younger female’s words were replaced by soft snores. She smiled to herself as she adjusted the comforter around them. The Christmas chill was ever present and their heating wasn’t the best but she found that the warmth in her heart was something not even the coldest of snow storms can easily vanquish.



Yuri and Yoona slept with identical smiles on their faces that night – promises of a new tomorrow giving them a ray of hope. And somehow, everything was fine… for now.



~END~

 

 

Comments are highly appreciated :)