i

13540
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter: 1 out of 1 →

That tomorrow will never come.

 

 

 

1

"I like you Kang Seulgi." Irene said boldly. She saw Seulgi clutched to her cellphone, visibly shaking.

It's that time of the year where students are finally admitting their feelings to someone they admire. Irene actually one of those students but the difference is unlike the others who readied their selves for this to-be-alive experience, the girl really did not prepare for this professing of affection act. She doesn't know if she should be embarrassed or fluttered by this situation, but Irene went with the flow.

Seulgi opened , ready to answer the girl's confession. She fixed her stand, an instinct action after realizing that she'll soon say her answer, an answer Irene's not sure she is ready for. Seeing the other’s blushing face, Irene felt her heart skip. She literally can hear her heart beating right now. Irene expected for Seulgi to say something like 'I like you too!' or 'I'm sorry, but I can't go out with you'. Just something between yes or no but instead, she bowed and said --

"Please wait until tomorrow!"

She suddenly ran off.

16

"I like you Kang Seulgi." Irene said boldly.

It's that time of the year where students are finally admitting their feelings to someone they admire. Irene actually one of those students but the difference is unlike the others who readied their selves for this to-be-alive experience, the girl really did not prepare for this professing of affection act. She doesn't know if she should be embarrassed or fluttered by this situation, but Irene went with the flow.

The environment and state could've been perfect for a romantic slash fluffy movie but something bothered Irene.

She’s not that kind of person who can read someone's face so well and right now, Seulgi is making an expression she cannot explain. She seems happy but at the same time, sad. Irene is not really sure what's going on with Kang Seulgi and her mind, maybe being confessed to is uncomfortable for her? Or does she hate me? Seulgi gives off this cynic aura but as far as I can remember, she isn't really a cynic person.

There was silence filling this atmosphere. A very awkward silence and Seulgi is fidgeting like she's itching to say something to Irene. Suddenly, there's a buzzing sound inside Irene’s ears and her head as well. I am seeing waves right now, things that are giving me head ache.

"Please wait until tomorrow! Okay?" she smiled, bowed and left. After a second, Irene finally realized that she’s alone. She stared at the empty space where Kang Seulgi had been and felt isolated.

"Well, okay." Irene said particularly to no one inside the classroom.

533

"I like you Kang Seulgi." Irene said boldly.

Seulgi only nodded and gave Irene a sad smile. What a short and weird response.

"Please wait until tomorrow." she said then left.

6832

"I like you Kang Seulgi." Irene said boldly.

Seulgi isn't even looking at Irene and appears to think that the confession is boring. Seulgi is a beauty so she's probably someone who has been confessed a thousand times before, and that's why confessions doesn't move her heart a bit or excite her at all.

"Please wait until tomorrow." She said and started to walk away. Impulsively, Irene grabbed her hand before she could completely leave. The moment their hands went intact, Seulgi quickly looked at the other with a shocked appearance on her face.

"Wh-" she was about to say something but Irene started talking.

"Why wait tomorrow? Can't you like answer now?" Irene asked directly. It took a moment before Irene processed what she just said. opened in disbelief.

Irene sneered at her carelessness and tried to look away. Seulgi looked at the ground and went into deep thought. Irene slowly let go of her hand before she tries to further embarrass myself.

"Please," she said like it hurts. "Wait until tomorrow."

This time, she left.

And again, Irene’s alone.

9755

"I like you Kang Seul-"

"Please wait until tomorrow."

10546

"Please don't speak anymore. Yes, you like me. You just said that a second ago. I already know. You already did this 10545 times before but please wait until tomorrow."

12978

"I'm the one who keeps saying for you to wait until tomorrow but I'm the one who is getting tired of waiting!"

13237

"Why are you like this?"

13540

"Irene~💖" Joy affectionately called Irene. The latter doesn't know if she should be flushed or disgusted with Joy's way of speaking but Irene pretty much don't care anymore because she's always like this. Joy flashed her cellphone in front of Irene face. A video waiting to be played is flashed on the screen.

"Come on, watch it!"

Irene did and watched the video. There was a corny introduction and she didn't even try to hide the scoff. It's so obnoxius! The video continued. It's a video that tells about a deity that has the ability to grant wishes. However, this supernatural being only grants the wishes of selfish and greedy individuals. After granting the wish of the greedy person, there will be a consequence and the consequence will depend of what kind of thing they wished. There's also an example in the video in which a boastful man wished for unlimited money. He did get his wish and he became happy with his unlimited money but the price he paid for it...he realized that no one really loves him and no one really cares for him. His girlfriend, friends and parents only keep their link to him due to his affluence. He became depressed and killed his self.

Now that I think about it, all this stuff actually sounds cool. I'm not gonna lie. However, such thing will probably destroy a human being and everyone around him. And worse, it might change the ways of the world. Are we really okay with that?

"So, why did you show me that?" Irene asked, not even bothering to hide that she’s not interested in such things. Joy crossed her arms and pouted.

"What? Don't you think things like that are cool? I mean, I have a wish right now and I want that holy supernatural being to grant it then boom! World domination!" Joy explained with actions and sound effects.

"Well…” Irene remarked.

She's the one in the group who always has this out of world ideas. There are actually times that this characteristic of hers is useful, but most of the time it's just flat irritating.

"Hey, shut your mouth. You're too loud and disturbing everyone." Yeri said and it's really obvious in her face that she's not taking Joy's noise. Everytime Joy spouts nonsense, Yeri is the one who's gonna comment on her words and insult it in the speed of light. Even though they act like they hate each other, they are actually pretty close. Heck, there are probably things about Joy that only Yeri knows.

"What?" Joy let out a frustrated sigh. She then pointed at me. "This is Irene's fault!"

Irene was taken aback with Joy's words.

"What? Why me? What did I do?" She answered, frowning at the sudden accusation.

"You let Yeri get mad at me!"

Joy puffed her cheeks and gave Irene a scary glare. Joy is really a funny person but Irene really can't cope up with her temper. She opened , ready to say things again but stopped when someone patted her shoulder.

"Really, Irene?" Wendy said and gave her a pitiful but mocking smile. "Are you really going to let Joy to make fun of you again?" Wendy shook her head and let out a smirk while Joy giggled. If Joy is like the clown of the group and Yeri is the one who doesn't care about anything, Wendy is the brain. She's always the voice of reason and is probably the only one who uses common sense to its fullest potential.

"Hah, how dare you destroy the mood? I just like annoying Irene!" Joy crazily said. "Plus, she keeps blushing and looking at that girl over there. Hm, who is it? Oooh! It's Kang Seulgi reading alone in a corner. And here our Bae is thinking 'I wish I could be beside her now'!"

Irene felt heat all over her face.

"You're voice is too loud and I never said anything like that!" She covered her whole face due to embarrassment. Joy is always teasing me like this, I don't know what to say anymore.

"Hey, stop teasing the poor girl." Wendy calmly said even though Irene saw her holding her laughter back awhile ago. She could also hear Yeri's small chuckles while pretending to read a book about reincarnation.

Wendy and Joy continued their chat while Irene looked at the window. She stared at the cloudy sky and finally let her thoughts consume her for a while. Confessing my feelings, huh. Of course Wendy, Joy and Yeri knows that I like Kang Seulgi, afterall they are my friends but there's one thing that is bothering me.

Irene feels like she is the only one who noticed the change in Seulgi's personality. I mean, how did they not notice that? Seulgi used to be friendly and shy and cheerful, a positive girl but now she's an aloof, distant, cold and quiet person. I could still remember her making jokes in front of everyone yesterday. Everyone clapped with her and cheered on her. Yesterday, she was laughing with everyone and smiling with everyone. Yesterday, she was a positive girl but now---

Wait.

Yesterday?

Today is August 2, but...

When was yesterday?

"Oi, Irene! Snap out of it. You looked like you just discovered the mysteries of human existence." Joy looked at Irene mockingly. "But sorry to pop your bubble, it's time to go home and stop daydreaming." She loudly said. Joy's mouth never fails to amaze Irene. It can produce one hundred nonsense per second and it's the weapon she uses to shower her with friendly insults. She and the others already grabbed their bags and waiting for Irene but she looked at Kang Seulgi and suddenly remembered the thing she was planning to do.

"Can you guys go home first? I am going to do something." Irene said. Joy let out a loud 'Huh!?" and crossed her arms. Irene doesn't know the reason why but Joy really likes that the four of them always go home together, something that Yeri finds corny.

"What? There are no club activities today." Yeri said, Wendy also eyed her cagily. Don't look at me like I'm about to murder someone right now! "Plus, don't let Joy get angry at you again or you'll have to tolerate more of her crazy antics." Yeri continued.

"Well no. It's a personal kind of thing." Irene replied. "And I'm used to Joy's teasings." she joked.

Yeri nodded and the three of them left. After a few minutes, there's no one left in the room. There's only Bae Irene and Kang Seulgi. Irene went to Seulgi to stop her from going home. I think it's time for her to know my feelings. I actually cannot remember when did I start liking Seulgi and I don't care if she'll reject or accept my confession. I just want to get things off my chest. Heck, it's even okay for me if I won't be with Seulgi. I just want her to know.

It's weird.

Irene is fine with the idea of not being with Seulgi, she just want her to know when I feel.

The environment and state could've been perfect for a romantic slash fluffy movie but something bothered Irene.

When she arrived at Seulgi's desk, she's still sitting there and for some reason. It seems she has no plans of going home yet. And the way Seulgi is looking at her right now alarmed the girl.

"Hey, Seulgi." I'm shaking. "Why aren't you packing your things yet? Everyone already went home you know." Irene said. Surprisingly, Seulgi’s eyebrows met. As if she's not amused with what Irene said.

"Aren't you going to say something to me?" she asked, signaling that Irene should already know what she is supposed to do. What's wrong? It's like Irene is obligated to do something. Irene was about to say the words 'I like you Kang Seulgi' but she suddenly pounded the table, cutting her off.

"For a change of pace, let's stop this, shall we? I'm going to say something to you, Bae Irene." Seulgi stood and cupped the other’s cheeks. "You already confessed to me 13539 times. So now tell me, are you going to continue this until I lose my mind?"

Irene jumped as she was startled with Seulgi's sudden spouting. She's even looking at me like I've done some crime, something unspeakable or something that could've hurt her.

"What are you saying?" Irene questioned. The air grew heavy.

"Is this a game for you Bae Irene? Tell me, what date is it today!" A command said aggressively. Seulgi cupped Irene’s face harder, an action that made the latter flinch.

I am very confused right now. At least explain something to me! But despite the confusion, Irene still answered her question.

"That's obvious.... Today is August 2?"

Seulgi slowly removed her hands from Irene’s cheeks, and the slow removal felt like she was saddened by Irene’s answer. She’s not satisfied with what I said. But what answer could satisfy Kang Seulgi? That, Irene doesn't know. Today is really August 2, she’s sure of that. But Seulgi obviously wants to hear more from her.

"Then tell me the date the first time you confessed to me." Seulgi said and narrowed her eyes for a second. Seulgi's face became pale and her cold expression isn't an expression that suits the Seulgi that Irene remembers.

"I don't know the date when I first confessed to you, if that answers your question." Irene answered, lowering her head. "Why are you pissed at me, Seulgi?" Irene asked out of nowhere, just to ease...something. She is not sure what she’s trying to soothe, maybe the heavy atmosphere. Irene is still not getting any of this and she won't let Kang Seulgi finish this talk without answering everything.

"What? No!" Seulgi shook her head. "It's just...Do you really, not remember anything?" Seulgi asked as if Irene and her used to be some kind of couple in their previous lives. Seulgi sighed, giving up to herself and gave me an almost-answer. "The date when you first confessed to me....," her lips thinned to a straight line "...is also August 2."

Voices suddenly entered Irene’s mind. The words they are saying are vague but it's something like 'I like you Kang Seulgi' and 'Please wait until tomorrow'. They kept coming, and coming. I feel sleepy.

"What do you mean?" the only question Irene asked out of the thousand other questions she has. I confessed to you a thousand times before? How could I have confessed to you before on the very same day?

Seulgi's expression softened.

"You always confess to me on this day. The second confession, the third, the next confession....You already confessed to me for a thousand times but why can't you remember anything? Even though I always answer 'Please wait until tomorrow', waiting for the day until you remember. I already experienced August 2 for 13539 times already! I kept track of every single time I experienced this day..."

She looked at Irene with water in her eyes. For the first time, Irene felt privileged to see Seulgi's heartbroken face. If what she's saying is true, maybe this isn't the first time afterall.

"Irene..." those tears started to pour down her face.

"Irene, I'm stuck in a time loop. What am I going to do?"

The time resets.

 

 

 

13541

A second is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom. Well, it's just something that Irene learned in her science class today. And today is a pretty strange day. Earlier while Irene was having another deep and nonsense conversation with Joy, Seulgi said something uncanny to her.

"Even though I told you the truth for the first time in the last iteration, nothing still happened. I guess I have to find a way on how to escape this suffering. Please wait because I'll save you." Seulgi gave Irene an odd smile then she returned to her seat. Joy turned to Irene and raised an eyebrow.

"What did she just say? Suffering? The truth? Are you two lovers?" Joy exclaimed. Irene frowned at the questions, believing that Joy cares more about the way how Seulgi acted than the peculiarity of the questions. Irene once again went back to her thoughts surrounding Seulgi. Now that I think about it, Seulgi acts so mature compared to the average teenager personality. Teenagers are usually seen as weak-willed and full of hypocrisy, things that aren't visible in Seulgi's character. It's so crazy, her personality did a 180 in just one day. Seulgi is actually a very bright girl but today, she's not.

Irene just learned the technical meaning of a second hours ago but she felt like she’d already studied that definition of second before the science class had even started. I'm not really fond with the technical definition of things because I am a human who likes to have her own meaning of everything. I look at this world subjectively.

"You've never been good with the technical meaning of everything." Yeri once said.

My own definition for second?

This is going to cringey but you could say that... a second for me is the unexpected. It's missing the last train home, being confessed to by your crush, learning that your best friend just died or being spoken to by Kang Seulgi who's someone you haven't even talked with before.

Irene sighed, laughing at her corny random musings. There are really times that such things get through Irene and a chain of different reflections will appear later on. Her head started to hurt when she tried to remember when did she fell for Kang Seulgi. Was it really yesterday? It feels like I'm mixing yesterday with something and my opinions for yesterday are vague. I guess that really doesn't matter now. As long as I have this feelings, I'm happy. Very very happy.

Time slows down a little bit more everyday and Irene wishes seconds could just speed up and fix this abnormal feeling already.

 

 

 

Later that day, Irene waited for everyone to leave the room and for some reason, Irene already know that Seulgi won't go home early today. Joy got mad at Irene again and Wendy didn't even hide her suspicions after Irene told them that she wanted to stay at the room because she had to do something. Joy then told Yeri and Wendy to just let the three of them go home because she's mad at Irene. Irene doesn't know the reason why but Joy really likes that the four of us always go home together, something that Yeri finds corny.

Irene was about to stand but got startled when she felt Seulgi's presence beside her.

"Uhh--" Irene accidentally blurted out. "Hey? How long have you been standing there?" she asked and felt a drop of sweat in her neck.

I guess Seulgi really knows how to surprise me. I don't even know why she has this much effect on me. I think it's because of my infatuation with her, but I feel like there are strings connected between my body and hers. I always felt that Seulgi is connected to me in some way. Not that I'm being delusional or just making this things up to satisfy my unrequited love, it's just a feeling.

"You're going to confess to me right?" Seulgi's question surprised Irene with its directness. The latter doesn't know what to say and just nodded in response.

"I know you're going to believe me so I'm going to tell you this, Bae Irene." The moment she said those words, Irene felt scream in her ears. A burning reminder. A reminder that I don't need because I'm really going to believe everything Kang Seulgi says. Irene felt the link between the two of them tick and jolted her insides. Am I really going to believe Kang Seulgi so easily?

"You feel a strong connection between us. Also, you cannot remember the day you fell for me. Your perception of yesterday is pretty vague and you experience lots of Deja Vus."

"Ha!?" Irene shouted. Seulgi was taken aback, proof that even her was surprised with Irene’s sudden shout. Irene instictively covered with her palms.

But if you would look at it, my shouting makes sense here.

She just said some things that are absolutely right and we never even had a long and personal conversation before. First, she said things about escaping this suffering and now, this? What the hell is going on with Kang Seulgi?

"I see." Seulgi her chin and nodded. "It makes sense that you're the only one who can change after all this iterations. None of our classmates experiences deja vu, only you. Our classmates' can't notice the changes, but you can. I mean, you really cannot notice it completely, just feel it and think it's just nothing. The personality of our classmates remained the same but you somehow changed even in the slightest way. You feet like you are floating. I know why, it's because...." Seulgi paused. "....you have the will to live."

Irene remained silent.

"But that doesn't change the truth, right? I mean, I can't blame you for having a feeling of change in all of this. Except possessing the will to live, you're still a part of my wish afterall. Maybe that's why in all these time resets, your personality slightly changes but theirs don't. You experience deja vus but they don't. You notice that there's something wrong with today, August 2, but they think it's just another day." There was dejection in her eyes but her smile never faltered. Seulgi returned to her speaking.

"We're stuck in a time loop, Irene. And I'm the reason. It's because of my wish." she said with an 'I'm Sorry' feeling in her tone. Huh, that's probably why that definition of seconds is familiar to me already. Let's just say that the original August 2 is the day Seulgi made a wish that caused this time loop because that is what she seems to be saying. If this is true, then....

"You said that you're the reason why there's a time loop." Irene said and quickly followed her question. "Then why did you wish for a time loop?"

Irene saw Seulgi took a deep breathe. There's something she doesn't want to say.

"I did not wish for a time loop. I simply wished for..." what? "...something. Something so...wrong and self-centered. This time loop is just the consequence of my wish."

Ah. Irene knows.

Just like the man from the video Joy showed her. Things like that happen afterall. This is the real world, why would anyone be surprised if there is a wish-granting being? Everything is possible here. Like it's possible that Seulgi is also the type of person who's capable to make selfish wishes. Irene is not shocked, Seulgi is still human and Irene not going to judge her for being one. It's natural for people to be wrapped up in oneself.

"Then what did you wish for?" Irene asked. Seeing that Seulgi is reluctant to say what did she wish for, Irene simply asked another question so she can dodge the current one. "Okay, so you know that I'm going to confess to you right now because I already confessed to you for like thousand of times---"

"13539 times. You didn't confess to me the last iteration because I cut you off. This is the 13541st iteration." she bluntly answered. Irene’s mouth opened a little, shocked at the number of digits.

"Well....yeah. 13539 times. Anyway," Irene continued. "That means there's this really first time, the very very first time I told you that I have feelings for you. I mean just because I was experiencing deja vus or being suspicious of yesterday, doesn't mean that I will still change the actions I've done on the original August 2. So that means, before you made the wish that caused this time loop, I confessed to you. The very first time I confessed to you, that time, what did you say?"

I know, the confession probably isn't even related to Seulgi's wished but knowing that I confessed to her before she made the wish that caused this time loop, I became curious. I wonder what did she answer that time. I wonder if she accepted my confession or rejected me. It's probably the latter.

Seulgi sighed. Her face is sheepish but Irene didn't even think of a reason why.

"In this time loop, I kept saying 'Please wait until tomorrow' hoping that you will remember. Well, the tomorrow I'm saying for you to wait doesn't really mean August 3, but just the next iteration. I thought that if I'll accept your confession or maybe reject it, then everything will be done. So during the 1988th and the 1989th iterations, I did both respectively. But no, August 2 just kept repeating so I continued telling you to wait until tomorrow because somewhere inside me, I want you to remember." She looked at the ground.

That still didn't answer my question, Kang Seulgi. You didn't say if you rejected or accepted my confession during the original August 2. What are you hiding?

Irene didn’t want to flood her with questions right now because she knows that she won't remember this tomorrow. It's pretty much useless asking. Her head is in pain because of all these revelations.

Dang, so I'm just going to get stucked in a time loop forever? Even though I won't even know that I'm in a time loop, I still don't want to live in a lie. That would be the world cheating. Plus, Seulgi will lose her mind if this will keep on happening, I'm surprised she can even cope up with this. Maybe she can't anymore. Also, she said ealier that she told me the truth for the first time during the 13540th iteration. Seulgi didn't open up to me from the first to the 13539th iteration so maybe this will change everything. Maybe I'll remember these things the next iteration. I'm her only hope, my classmates can't feel the difference between the time resets and the strangeness of the many August 2s.

"What time will the time reset?" Irene asked. "Is it 30 minutes after the confession? 40 minutes? An hour?"

Seulgi shook her head. "I don't know. It's random. It of course resets after you tell your feelings to me, but there's no exact time when will it reset after the confession. Sometimes, the time resets 20 minutes after the confession. Sometimes, 30. Then 40 or 45 minutes but based on my observations, it doesn't exceed an hour. Meaning, the maximum waiting time after the confession is an hour. After one hour, the time will reset."

That obviously means that Seulgi made her wish or the wish was granted an hour, a rough calculation, after my confession.

“Then I guess we'll have to wait for now until the time resets.”

There's nothing we can do. Irene glanced at Seulgi whose lids seem to be heavy. I don't want you to suffer alone, or fight alone so I'm going to declare war this time; to everyone, to time, to this world, to this time loop, to myself, to Seulgi's wish and to god. You're all my enemies.

After Irene said those words so loud in her head, Seulgi chuckled.

"I'm going to save you." Irene declared. "I'm going to find a way out to this. So please, work with me from now on and don't just let me confess to you. 13539 confessions are enough for now and when the time comes where we finally escaped from this hell, I'm going to make it 13540."

Irene gave Seulgi the warmest smile she can do. Seulgi looked dumbfounded for a while but later gave the other a smile too.

"Yeah." A short response. "So while we are it, Bae Irene. I know you're not going to remember this but---"

Things went fast and before I knew it, Kang Seulgi kissed me.

"I love you Irene, I really do."

Then everything around us turned white. Then after some seconds, us too.

 

 

13542

"I knew it, keeping my hopes up will just hurt me more. That's why I hate you Bae Irene, you always keep my hopes up. Making me believe that you will remember me after all these time resets and iterations but no. You will never remember me." Seulgi smiled but only for a second. She covered her face with her hands. "What did I expect? Of course you'll never remember me." she said, then sobbed.

13543

"And I thought I was making progress."

13544

Irene wasn't able to confess to Seulgi today as the latter stopped her before she could say anything. Seulgi declared that she already knows that Irene is going to confess to her. Weird it is, but her sudden talking at length is weirder. She started to say things like, "I still believe that this situation isn't hopeless. I'm going to find a way out, I promise. Hang in there, okay?"

 

13546

"A second is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the..."
"....transit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter