Chapter 1

A Friend's Observation (one-shot)

 

A Friend's Observation

Aaron's doing it again. He's glaring at her fiercely once more. Too bad. She was too busy listening to Miss Cherry's lesson to notice. I could actually see a muscle tightening under his jaw and at the rate Aaron was holding his pen, I'm afraid it's going to snap any time soon. But it's nothing new really. He was just mad because he can't seem to catch her attention lately, she just doesn't mind him that much, unlike her other friends who won't even hesitate to kill him right here, right now. Those girls were the living definition of fierce!

"Bro," Chun rasped, "pass those jelly beans over here, will you? I'm bored and famished."

I handed him the pack of Jelly Beans with different flavors in it. Trust Chun to get hungry in the middle of the class. He thanked me before biting into one. Calvin, who was flirting with his seatmate, also stole a piece and made a face once tasting it. "Yuck! Lychee again! I always get Lychee. Not fair!"

People knew the four of us as Fahrenheit. We are quite popular in this school especially with the girls, and some guys as well. Go figure. We have known each other since we were kids, though it was originally only Chun, Calvin, and I. We met Aaron a little later when they moved in the neighborhood. We have different personalities yet the four of us just clicked together. But come to think of it, we actually have some things in common: y, irresistible handsome, charming... Ha! I'll stop bragging now, Must. Stay. Humble.

Among the four of us, Aaron was the most popular among girls. I'm next of course! It was quite the irony also since everyone thinks he's an annoying, cocky, smarmy bastard. A hot one, that is, but still a bastard nonetheless.

Which is true.

Just kidding of course.

Aaron can be mean and cold at times (Fine, at all times!) but that's just his way. And contrary to the popular belief, he does know how to smile. Aaron can be right decent, you know? As long as no one else is around. I can't blame him though, all girls were practically throwing their selves at him, even doing extreme things I won't bother to recall! It's actually weird how his bad boy image attracts girls rather than driving them away. But then again, most of the girls here in this school doesn't mind his attitude. All they were after was the fame of being the lady of 'the hottest student that ever walked in this school! Kyah.' Their words, not mine.

Too bad for those girls, he already had his eyes fixed on a certain girl.

I watched him tense up when George Hu, another popular student (though not as popular like us), leaned over and whispered something in Gui Gui's ear. She laughed and nudged him playfully on the shoulder. He smiled at her and she blushed. The next thing I know, the pen in Aaron's hand snapped just like that.

"Here" I grunted, fishing another pen out of my bag.

Aaron threw the broken pen on the floor in disgust, grabbed the new pen from my hand and started scribbling down whatever Ms. Cherry was saying. Jagged, angry . Not his usual neat handwriting that Calvin once said was like a girl's. Aaron punched him good for that one.

"You alright, Lun?" I asked him.

Aaron growled but nodded nonetheless, albeit very stiffly. He clenched his fist very hard, his knuckles turning white. He ignored Chun's curious glance and Reen's seductive smile (hey, she was flirting with Cal just minutes ago!). Aaron just continued scowling, dragging the pen on the paper so hard I thought for a second he's about to rip holes into it.

Oh jealousy, jealousy! So green, so green!

He doesn't know that I know. He hasn't told anyone, though sometimes it became so mighty obvious and he had to work extra hard to cover it up. Calvin might have an idea but he's too busy with his girls (Yup, girl with the letter 's') while Chun was pretty clueless about it, too preoccupied thinking what to eat next.

It probably started way back, even before the three of us met him. Aaron and Gui Gui grew up together after all. I actually met Gui Gui through Aaron. She was so cute back then, though a little nerdy I must say. Aaron already had his mask of indifference at that time and he pretty much ignored all the girls around him. All except Gui Gui. He always taunted her for, well, whatever. It was really a sight to see. Gui Gui's face flushing with anger before walking away then Aaron's gaze following her until she was out of sight. It was unconscious on his part but that says something, right?

It was always that way except that one faithful day when Gui Gui finally had enough and, to his and everyone else's horror, slapped him on the face.

Yoouucchh.

I can still remember the sound of her palm thwacking against his face. Chun, Calvin, and I just stood there, mouth agape, and too shocked at what happened. The three of us watched and waited for his reaction. I was worried that he might do something stupid, something a boy should not do to a girl. But alas, I'm wrong. He just stood there holding his cheek, staring at her like he'd never seen her before. Then he muttered "Let's go" and we walked away, confusion and disbelief written on our faces.

Things slowly started changing after that. Not that he stopped bugging her, mind you. In fact it got worse! Sometimes he went out of her way just to rile her up. (What a way to get the attention of the girl you like. Sarcasm intended.) But things were different now. There were times when I caught him looking at her in secret with either a small smile on his face or a face like he's seeing something he wants but cannot have. Then his expression will change to sadness to anger then back to his cold, mysterious face.

People might think that I don't care a thing about the world but I notice stuffs like this, especially since I have known Aaron for a bit. It took me quite a while but finally I started paying attention.

I noticed the way he gets very still, almost like he's afraid to move, when she walks into the room.

I noticed the way his fists clenched when she's telling him to mind his own business, like he can't decide whether to walk away or just grab her and kiss her senseless.

I noticed the way his face darkened when we saw her kissing her best friend, Wang Zi, on the cheek. Aaron was in a right nasty mood after that, snapping at everyone for even the smallest thing.

I noticed the way he glared at that boy (I forgot the name and not so sorry at all.) who confessed his feelings for her and asked her out for a date. The next day, I heard Gui Gui ranting and telling her girl friends how this boy stood her up.

I noticed the way Aaron looking quite smug that day.

Ms. Cherry dismissed the class and we troop out of the room. The four of us walked along the hallway with so much air. Somehow we find ourselves walking behind Gui Gui and Wang Zi. Calvin was about to make a move towards them but Aaron held out an arm to block him. Calvin blinked and looked at Chun then at me in confusion. We both shrugged.

Gui Gui was talking rapidly. "I don't see how I can possibly get everything done by tomorrow. Essays for Sociology and Psychology, my Calculus homework. Oh no, I still have to translate some sentences for my Spanish class! Now, Wang Zi, I know you have basketball practice and I know it's important since you're the captain, but you absolutely cannot go out until you've finished all your assignments! Maybe you..."

As she continues blabbering on, Wang Zi rolled her eyes before ruffling her hair then placed his arm over her shoulder, kissing her soundly on the cheeks.

Aaron gritted his teeth, shoving the two roughly, causing them to break apart.

"I'd walk a little faster if I were you!" Aaron drawled. "The two of you are blocking the way. The hallway is not a park for you to be lovey dovey, you know?" He said before walking away.

The three of us smirked at them as we walked past them. I heard Wang Zi muttered something but Gui Gui stopped him.

"Just ignore him, Wang Zi." She said. "He just wants the attention. He can be so insufferable sometimes."

The spasm that crossed Aaron's face almost made me want to pat him on the back, but I was able to stop myself. I don't think it's a good idea. Soon enough he's got his feelings under control, and was walking down the hall with a swagger, like nothing happened. We turned around the corner and we saw George and his friends walking back to the room.

"Valentine's is in two weeks, are you asking someone for a date?"

"I might ask Gui Gui."

"No way! I was planning to go out with her!"

Aaron froze and the three of us stopped walking as well. He had this murderous aura emmiting around him.

"Aaron what's wrong?" Calvin asked.

"Nothing. You go ahead, I'll catch with you later."

With that, Aaron turned around and leave. He doesn't even need to explain, I already know. Three more guys down, another hundreds to go.

----------------------------------
I've been thinking of writing a GuiLun story told in somebody's point of view for quite sometime already, and since I got bored from studying, I took a break and decided to give it a try. Though I must say that I don't know how it went since I never tried writing in a first person point of view and I haven't read this again. LOL. Though this one was not as cute and sweet as Candy Hearts, I had fun writing this one and I hope you'll like it.

I might start updating The Pretty and The Hottie again soon but it'll probably wait until I finish my final exams this week. And speaking of exams, I should probably start studying now. See ya'll hopefully soon! :)