the rise and fall.

NOT A HAPPY ENDING.>ONE-SHOT

Choi Minho was the PERFECT GUY. He was good in everything, Sports, Academics and especially to his girlfriend , Joo Maki. Maki was the smart gal, her weakness: SPORTS, Minho was the right guy to be with her. Unfortunately, they were in different cliques. Maki was with the brainiacs and Minho was often with the jocks.

“Good Morning OPPA!” Maki ran towards her boyfriend.

“Morning! Sorry I have to run I have practice for Lawn Tennis!”

“Let’s talk later, neh Oppa?”

“Can’t. I have Basketball then Soccer.”

“But Oppa—“ Maki was cut off  by his lips on hers.

“I miss you too Baby, I’ll come by tonight. Okay?”

Minho jogged off and left Maki there. Maki was used to this. It was the risk she took when she decided to date an athlete, moreover a Star Athlete. He was busy enough with Sports and Studying that it was a surprise that he’s even dating Maki.

They were once happy couples when everything was back when it started, when Minho wasn’t that outgoing, competitive and the best. Maki was also famous in their campus—but not the queenka type. She had friends, she was outgoing and she was smart. Yes, they were perfect back then.

Now, Minho was busy training to impress College Scouts through Sports. Maki was trained to join Competitions involving writing essays and other journalism-related competitions. They were both in the peak of their success and they could not afford to lose it.

 

“Oppa—do your homework!” Maki yelled through the phone.

“Babe—at times like this you shouldn’t really push me away. I mean these moments seldom happen”

“Oppa—you have to rest. I know how tired you are from practice. I’m scared you’ll end up sick”

“I’ll end up sick if you don’t start talking to me…” Minho whined.

“Oppa—I’ll see you tomorrow okay! And do your homework!”

“Aww—Babe!” Maki hung up.

~

“Babe—I’ll be going out of town for my Tennis competition, you’ll come watch right?”

Minho asked his girlfriend as they were eating lunch together.

“When is it?”

“On Saturday.”

“Oh.” She knew she couldn’t come.

“Wae?”

“I—have a competition too. It’s gonna be for 3 days.”

“Oh.” Minho’s face dropped.

“Oppa—I’m so—“

“It’s okay. Good Luck on your competition Babe,” he walked out.

Maki knew Minho considered her as her Lucky Charm. She would never miss one game and Minho always wins.

~

It was the day of Maki’s Competition…as well as Minho’s.

Due to Maki’s absence Minho wasn’t really in a good condition.

“Minho Oppa—fighting!” His fangirls screamed.

Minho was nothing right now. He would miss almost every ball.

~

“Maki—you should really prepare for tomorrow, instead of procrastinating.” Yoona said.

“But Minho Oppa’s in a game right now, I can’t focus.”

“Let her be, Yoona.” A deep voice entered their conversation.

“Seulong Sunbae” Yoona and I bowed.

“Maki—you need to relax or else you’ll get nervous for tomorrow.”

Im Seulong sunbae-nim. He’s major in Photography and right now we’re both in the Journalism Competition. He’s an athlete too, he’s actually the captain of our Basketball team since he is the senior.

“Neh—Sunbae-nim.”

“Maki-yah, I have to go. My competition is starting soon. See you later.” My bestfriend Yoona was an artist. She drew fantastic pictures which puts her here right by my side as my Cartoonist.

~KNOCK*

“Come in.”

I was listening to Music when Seulong-sunbae entered.

“Oh. Sunbae”

“Still procrastinating, I see.”

I laughed.

“Sunbae—I’m bored. Let’s do something!”

“Wanna learn how to play ball?”

My eyes lit up. ME AND SPORTS= FAILURE. Minho has attempted teaching me for thousands of times but he just doesn’t have the patience.

“Are you sure you can teach me?”

“I’m positive!” He answered with a smile.

~

“You just have to do this with your arms.” Seulong instructed Maki, which actually puts them in an awkward position.

“Then shoot!” Seulong held her hands as they both tried to shoot the ball.

“WAAAAH~ WE DID IT!” Maki cheered. It was her first ball.

“See? It’s that easy!”

“Komawo Sunbae!”

“Now, let’s play!” Seulong stole the ball. Maki just laughed at her childish sunbae.

She tried stealing the ball from him but he was too tall. It was a tie, 8-8. Seulong has been giving her shots for herself.

“Sunbae!” She cried as she wanted him to look.

“Wae?” He came running.

She quickly stole the ball and with all her might shoots it.

SHE SCORES!

“I WON! I WON!!!WHOOOO!!!!”

“Yah—you tricked me!” Seulong said.

“AWW. Mian—sunbae.”

“Call me Oppa and I’ll admit I lost to you.”

“Chincha?”

He laughed and nodded.

“Seulong Oppa!”

“Arasso—I, Im Seulong, captain of the basket ball team, admits he got defeated by Joo Maki, the prettiest and smartest girl he has ever seen!”

Maki blushed by what her sunbae said.

“Sunbae—“ Seulong threw her a glare.

“Oppa—“

“That’s more I like it!” He smiled.

“Bipolar much?” Maki giggled.

“You better run Maki!” Seulong ran after her.

Maki enjoyed this day. She wasn’t falling for Seulong instead he was like the big brother she never had.

Her thoughts started to be bothered again as she thought of Minho.

Did he win?

She knew how Minho reacts if he loses. She knew that he can do anything…Anything.

 

It was 11:30 when she heard a knock at her door.

Her roommates were all asleep. Yes she had roommates—Yoona,Sunny,Tiffany and Seohyun. They all had a competition that day and we’re all dead asleep.

“Oppa?”

“Maki—I’m bored. I brought cards, let’s play.”

“Sure. Come in”

They were staying in a traditional house, where they had to sleep on the floor.

Seulong and Maki played a game of Bluff a couple of times when it was already 1 in the morning.

“Maki—I have to go, we gotta compete later. See you then!”Seulong came back not long after Maki finally got to sleep.

“Yeh?” She opened the door.

“Our room’s lock.” Seulong answered.

“Oh. I guess, you can…stay here.”

Maki let him in and gave him a pillow. Her pillow, actually.

“Good Night, Oppa.”She said as she went back to sleep.

~

Maki was awoken by music. She opened her eyes and peeked at her phone and saw that it was only 3 AM.

“Go back to sleep.” I heard someone say.

“Oppa?”

“Sorry, I shouldn’t have played my music.”

“No—it’s fine. I like it.” I said as I yawned.

“You’re so cute Maki-yah.” He said as he pinched her nose.

“OPPA.”

“I’ve always wanted a younger sister, you know?”

“Then you can have me!” Maki laughed as she went back to sleep.

“Sure.” Seulong came closer and kissed her forehead.

“Good Night, donsaeng.”

~

Minho lost that day. He shoved everyone aside and got drunk. He lost and he was humiliated in front of one College Scout.

~

Maki woke up with 4 pairs of eyes intensely looking at her.

“Morning guys!”

“Maki—what the heck is Sunbae doing in our room?”

“Oh.” Maki looked beside her.

“He came last night and we played cards, but then he got locked out of their room.”

Maki explained.

“Oh. Then, nothing happened between you?”

“Nothing.” Another voice spoke.

“I’m not that type of guy.”Seulong said as he woke up.

“Oh Sunbae. Good Morning.”

“I have to go. See you all later.”

~

The girls kept bugging Maki about what happened that night.

“Nothing happened. Please stop with all the questions”

Maki was more than determined to win her competition…

AND SHE DID. She was more than happy to go home and celebrate with Minho.

~

“MINHO OPPA!!!!!” She came running from the car and hugged Minho.

“Hey.” He said coldly.

“Oppa! I won!!! I won!!!” I said happily.

“Good for you.”

“Oppa—what’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Oppa—I know something’s up.”

“I said nothing.”

“Stop lying!”

“STOP BEING A PAIN IN MY !”

Maki froze.

“I didn’t win okay??? I didn’t win and you ask me to be happy for you??? I know you’re always the best, so stop reminding me I’m such a failure.”

“I understand.” Maki quickly left with tears in her eyes.

~

She cried her heart out. Did he really find her that way? She was deeply hurt that her boyfriend thinks she‘s bragging about her winning.

She browsed through her Facebook account and stopped at Minho’s page.

She was shocked to see other Minho’s pictures with other girls.

It broke her heart to see her boyfriend flirting with other girls.

~

She went to school that morning, having this heavy feeling on her chest.

“Maki!” A girl named Jessica called her.

“Yeh?”

“Give this to Minho Oppa,. Arasso?”

“Yeah.”

It was his blazer and his boxers.

Maki cried silently upon seeing those.

She was quickly pulled into a hug,

“Oppa…” She cried more.

“Sssshhh. No man is worth your tears.” Seulong comforted her.

~

It’s been a week since then. Maki was now cold towards Minho.

“Maki-yah, stop acting childish!”

“I am not! You cheated on me!”

“Well, maybe I wouldn’t if you weren’t much of a !”

“Bwoh? So now, the blame’s on me??”

“Yes, because you slept with Seulong-sunbae that night!”

“I did not!”

“Yes, you did. Jessica told me herself!”

“How would she even know? She wasn’t even there!”

“Don’t you know you were sharing the room with Tiffany, her cousin??”

Maki gasped.

“I knew it. You are a after all.”

Maki walked up to him and slapped him.

“I’m breaking up with you MAKI” Minho coldly replied.

“I don’t ing give a damn! Did you even love me?”Maki replied.

“I hate that I loved someone like you.” Minho walked away.

~

Maki fell, she found herself sobbing into bits in the middle of the park.

“I’m always here for you dongsaeng-ah.” Seulong said as he watched from a far.