last.

run away

It’s prom night and everyone was excited. The girls spent thousands of money and hours to look their best; and the guys were nicely dressed in their sleek, luxurious tuxedos to impress their dates. But for me, Han Jikyo, this was all just a sham. Prom was just created so people would have an excuse to show off towards others. It’s not like people enjoy walking and dancing around for hours in uncomfortable clothes.  

Somehow, I found myself lounging by the corner of the ballroom, dressed up in a collared, pastel purple dress, and a pair of pink ballet flats that were nicely tied around my ankles; watching the students having the time of their lives at the dance floor. Some were just innocently dancing, and some were shamelessly grinding against each other and making out as if they weren’t in the same room with a hundred other people.

“How is this allowed again?” I inwardly groan in disgust, rolling my eyes. This is going to be a long night.

My eyes were roaming aimlessly around the area, trying to find something, anything, to at least take my mind off the nightmare that is happening before me. As if on cue, my gaze caught sight of a familiar figure at the other side of the room; he was clothed in a simple, yet delicate black suit that made him way more charming than he normally does, and his jet black hair was slightly pushed back, revealing his forehead.

“Yixing…” I whisper to myself as a smile almost touched my face once I saw the person I’ve been wanting to see all night. After all, he’s the reason why I came here.   

But that evil, cunning witch always has to ruin everything. As opposed to her dark, filthy soul, she was dressed in a beautiful white, strapless gown that accentuates every curve of her body, her hair lightly curled, and is falling smoothly along her shoulders; a meaningful grin adorning her face that can literally deceive anyone she’s a pure angel. My gaze abruptly found her dirty, sneaky hand brushing oh-so-lightly on Yixing’s waist as she advanced towards him, casually pressing a longing kiss right under his ear.

I felt my heart skipping a beat at the scene in front of me. This is it. This is what he wants. She is what Yixing wants. She obviously felt the same towards him. I saw how she looked at him before. I knew that for a long time already. They both made it so obvious, no one even needs to say a word. Besides, I agreed to this. I knew what I was getting into, and I allowed myself to fall. I completely don’t have any right to feel anything about this.

With a deep breath and clenched fists, I gently pushed myself off the wall and quietly stepped out of the party. I knew I shouldn’t have went. What happened back there just gave me another reason to hate prom.

 

Upon reaching my car, I immediately turned the radio on its maximum volume, hoping some music would take my mind off things. I threw my head back against the seat and closed my eyes, palming my face, letting the frustrated tears finally escape my eyes. Images of the times I had with Yixing suddenly came in like huge, reckless waves, cascading against me, drowning me so deep and merciless, until I ran out of breath.

It all started a year ago. I was in my third year of high school and Yixing was the school’s new music teacher. He was really caring and patient towards his students and he always reassure that everyone can keep up with the lessons. He was too kind, to the point where the students became too comfortable to blatantly disrespect him. The first time it happened, he laughed it off in front of everyone. But being the observant I usually am, I noticed a hint of irritation in his eyes.

Everyone rushed out of the classroom the moment the bell rang, some of students didn’t even let the music teacher finish what he was saying. I stayed behind, though. I waited for everyone to leave before confronting him. He was standing behind the drums, picking up the sticks that fell on the floor.

 

“Sir,” I casually spoke, tapping a hand on his shoulder.

My music teacher jumped at the sudden contact, but quickly follows it up with a lighthearted chuckle, “I’m sorry, Jikyo. I thought everyone went home already.”

“I won’t be staying long. I know you have a lot of things to take care off. Uh, I just want to apologize for what the class did earlier. I know I’m not in the place to say this, but…yeah. They’re just really comfortable with you, that’s all.”

He blinked for a couple of times, his cheeks unknowingly turning a little pink at my words, “Oh, that… Don’t worry about it, Jikyo. I’ll be fine. But thank you for your concern. I appreciate it.”

Standing this close to him made me realize why a lot of female students swoon over this new teacher. He wasn’t just physically good-looking. He also brings out a different aura that somehow made you feel safe and sound. I nodded in acknowledgement, a little smile playing along my lips, “Just…try to be a bit more…dominant, I guess? It’s good that you’re using a friendly way to reach out to the students, but it won’t hurt getting mad sometimes, right? I mean, you’re still our teacher after all.”

I saw it. That quick, yet obvious flash in his eyes when I said those words. It made me curious. It made me want to stay longer in this classroom with him.

 

That was just our first actual encounter. As time passed by, our associations started to become heavy and stiff. I tried to stay away from him, I really did. But it seems like we’ll always end up together. Things got into a whole new level when the piano competition happened. The principal chose me as the school’s representative, and I had no choice but to train with Yixing every day. The competition took place in Busan, so we had no choice but to stay in a hotel. We were on the elevator, on our way back to our respective rooms when it all happened.

 

“You really did well, Jikyo! It’s not a surprise you won the first place!” my music teacher exclaimed, casually ruffling his hand on top of my head. “But you know what’s funny, we practiced for months, yet, I forgot to ask you how long you’ve been playing the piano.”

I tapped my fingers on the gold cup in my hands, mentally counting the years, “Huh… I think I started when I was 8, so it’s been 10 years now.”

He turned to look at me with wide eyes, as if I grew a second head, “How’s that possible? Aren’t you like…15 or 16?”

I cackled at the look on his face, “I’m already 19, Mr. Zhang. My family resided in Los Angeles for some time, so I was forced to transfer schools. We thought we’ll be staying there longer, but my parents managed to finish their thing pretty quickly, so we went back to Seoul. The school didn’t allow me to skip years, so I have to take high school all over again…”

I didn’t even notice how the look of his face changed as I was babbling about my life.

“Then, I guess…our isn’t as far as I thought,” he muttered under his breath.

“Yeah, you’re 25, right? I guess I should just call you Yixing now,” I snorted, playfully.

Suddenly, he started walking towards me, catching me by utter surprise. I looked up at him with wide eyes, my hands gripping on the golden cup, anticipating for what will happen next. He was staring down at me, his eyes were blazing with desire and his bottom lip caught between his teeth.

Seeing that I wasn’t making any efforts to stop him, he inched closer and whispered, “….can I kiss you, Jikyo?”

I didn’t answer him. There weren’t any words needed. Instead, I got on the tip of my toes and pulled him eagerly into a passionate kiss that I’ve been wanting to give him for months.

 

The sound of my phone beeping relentlessly brought me back to reality. I grunted impatiently and picked the device up, checking who decided to disturb my personal time.

 

[From: Xing]

“Where are you? I’ve been looking all over for you all night.”

 

[From: Xing]

“Jikyo, hey~ Princess~ did you attend the prom? Where are you?”

 

[From: Xing]

“I thought you were coming tonight… You should’ve told me earlier. I won’t get mad. ^^”

 

[From: Xing]

“Park Chanyeol said he saw you earlier? So you did come after all. ^^ Tell me where you are, princess. Please?”

 

[From: Xing]

“Eh…it’s almost the last dance. I really want to dance with you tonight... ㅠㅠ Please just tell me where you are, princess.”

 

I was about to put my phone away when it abruptly rang, causing me to jerk in surprise. After turning the radio’s volume down, I pushed the green button and took the call without even checking who it is.

 

“Jikyo! Finally! Where are you? We can still make it through the last dance. Just tell me where you are right now. I’m already looking for you at the parking area. I was hoping maybe you’re in your car,” Yixing delightfully chirped through the phone, making me cringe a little.

You still have the audacity to talk so happily like nothing happened? How cruel.

 

“I’m going home, Mr. Zhang. Please have fun tonight.”

“Why are you calling me so formally? What’s the matter?”

“I’m sorry. I’ll be going now. Goodbye.”

“What? No! Wait! Are you just teasing me right –“

 

I half-heartedly ended the call before discarding the phone on the passenger’s seat, and placed my hands on the wheel. As I was about to drive away, a sudden knock came on the window, causing me to jump in shock.

And there he was, sweating, panting, panicking.

“Damn it, Jikyo.”

 

Yixing sneakily yanked the car’s door open before I could even lock it up, and stole the car keys in one go, “What were you saying on the phone? Why are you leaving? Tell me what’s wrong.” He crouches tiredly on the ground, reaching his hands out to hold on to my left forearm.

I turned my head towards the opposite side and drew away from his hold, purposely avoiding any contact with him, “Please stop playing dumb with me. I need to go now, so can you just kindly give me my keys back. I can’t stay here any longer.”

I felt his hands creeping its way back to my arm again, this time, his touch softer than it was moments ago, “Please just tell me what’s going on, Jikyo. I really don’t understand any of this. A penny for your thoughts, please?”

 

Scoffing under my breath, I blinked my tears back. Damn it. Since when did I started crying?

“I witnessed your sweet, little moment with Ms. Jung, Yixing. Stop acting so innocent. Stop making me look dumb, because I’m not. I saw her kiss you. You didn’t even bother to pull away. I know you like her. You don’t even have to tell me,” I breathed out, trying to force a laugh out to mask my sorrow. I don’t want to seem vulnerable to him. Not right now. “And it’s okay, because honestly, I don’t have any right in this world to stop you from who you want to be with. I know I’m just some pastime, a plaything when you’re bored. I get that now. But, please, just please, stop treating me…so nicely. Stop calling me princess. Because I’m not. Stop being so kind to me. Because you don’t have to. This is not how you treat --”

Yixing gasped silently at the words that left my mouth. Before I could even finish my sentence, he extended a hand out and gently pulled my face towards him, obliging me to meet his gaze. He was flustered; his eyes were filled with emotions and his lips were slightly trembling, “What you saw back there…it’s not what you think it is. What Ms. Jung did happened without my consent. I was as shocked as you are. I may have called her ‘pretty’ before, but I don’t like her, I swear. I know how cliché that sounds, but it’s the truth. I never once lied to you, Jikyo… I want to apologize for giving you the pain you’re feeling right now. It was stupid of me not to notice anything. I…I thought we were something. I should’ve made that clearer,” he paused for a moment, chuckling bitterly at himself. “I don’t like anyone else, Jikyo. You…you’re the one who I want. Since that day you talked to me after class, I knew there was something special about you. And I know…I know this is all wrong considering our current situation right now, but I love you. I really do. I-I’m sorry for not saying anything sooner. I just became too comfortable, too happy with what we have. I was scared to tell you because you might leave…and I don’t want that. I sincerely love you with all of me, Han Jikyo.”

I was speechless. I can’t move or think straight. I tried to open my mouth to say anything, but all that managed to come out was a raspy whimper. I didn’t realize that the tears were flowing down my cheeks already. Yixing saw this and instantly pressed his thumbs lovingly against my cheeks, brushing the pain away, “I’m sorry for making you cry, princess. I’m really sorry for doing this to you. You don’t have to say anything right now. I’m willing to wait for you, even if it takes a lifetime,” he leaned in closer, planting a long, tender kiss on my forehead. He slowly released my arm and left the car keys on my lap.

 

“Clear your tears first before driving, okay? I want to take you home myself, but knowing you…you would want some space to think. Please drive safely. I don’t want you getting hurt any further. Maybe someday I’ll get to dance with you in front of everyone. I’ll be able to show you off to the world, to let everyone see how lucky I am to have you. Someday, I’ll be able to take you with me to my hometown to meet my family. Oh, my grandmother would love you so much,” he took a second to breathe, trying his best to keep the tears to himself. “You look really beautiful tonight, princess,” Yixing stood up, ruffling my hair in the process. He was about to leave, and I know I cannot put this chance to waste.

 

Wrapping my fingers around his wrist, I tugged him back a little, stopping him from his tracks. He spun around briskly, giving me an astonished stare.

“Run away with me, Yixing.”

“….what?” he stiffened a bit, completely dumbfounded at my unexpected words.

“I need you to run away with me. I-I want to be with you. I’m sorry if I was being petty earlier, but…I really like you, too,” I gazed back at him, fixing my teary orbs in his. “No…no, that’s not right. I love you. I love you, too, Zhang Yixing.”

He didn’t even pause or think about it twice. Lightly grasping me by my waist, he pulled me up on my feet and captured my lips in a kiss, his free hand cupping my cheek, delicately. I immediately responded to him, pouring out all of my emotions, every hurt and love, every sadness and joy. My fingers directly found their way on the collar of his black suit, pulling our bodies closer against each other, until I can feel my back getting pressed on the car.

“I love you so much,” he murmurs against my mouth before my lower lip, asking permission for entrance. I excitedly parted them just for him, allowing his tongue to roam every nook, to take over me. His hand that was on my cheek slid down, little by little, taking its time, until it was on my hips, squeezing and caressing them with his gentle fingers.

Running out of breath, I pulled away for a second, but kept my lips an inch away from his. I stared at the exquisite beauty before me, grazing my fingers along his cheek, “Does Jeju sound good to you right now?”

Yixing softly laughed at my words, his face charmingly crinkling at the slight action, “You’re always such a reckless girl, aren’t you?” He paused for moment and hovered his hand on mine, planting a loving kiss on my palm, “Let’s go, then?”

“Yeah…let’s go.”

 

 

-------

 

 

 

[aaaaaaand it's done! >< again, i would like to apologize for any mistake. i'll try harder next time! thank you for reading!]