Breathe, Simple

Simple

"Breathe, Jihoon. Just breathe. You're okay, child."

As Jihoon's eased slowly, Seokjin sighed with relief. Seokjin knew that this was not really of the norm, if their family was norma but then again they weren't.

 

Jihoon had always wanted to do everything ever since he was a child. From being a composer to dancing to singing to being a star.

 

Of course, Lee Jihoon got what he wanted through sheer hardwork and will. After all, he was now SEVENTEEN's composer and vocal team leader Woozi.


The stress was a given in their line of work and Jihoon had already braced himself for it. He just didn't really expect anxiety attacks to go with it. And so, here he was. Being comforted by his "mom", Kim Seokjin, at their family apartment in Apgujeong. Hidden away from all the sasaengs and paparazzi.


"I know how overwhelming it is, Jihoonie but you gotta breathe sometimes," was Seokjin's slight hysterical quip. 


He was quiet worried about Jihoon. He took after his "dad" when it comes to working until they deem the product perfect in their eyes. That, in itself, is quite destructive and Seokjin is left to comfort and softly scold the father-son duo.


Slowly lifting Jihoon back to the couch, Seokjin rock them both back and forth all the while cooing soft reassurances and comforting words to the still shivering in panic 20 year old.


"Everything's okay, Jihoonie. Just breathe. Breathe in. Then breathe it all out."


Jihoon, coaxed by the soft tone, slowly followed and calmed down. Seokjin continued to rock them back and forth though.


"Mom?"


Jihoon had interrupted the comforting silence as Seokjin started reclining back to the couch.


"Hmm?"


Jihoon cuddled close to the comforting warmth of his "mom", breathing in the homely scent of strawberry and coffee, further calming him down.


"...how do you do it? Not collapse from the pressure, I mean."


Seokjin kissed his the crown of his son's head, "I just simplify it."


"How?" Jihoon quietly inquired.


"I think of the reasons why I'm here and why I'm still here."


Jihoon cuddled closer as Seokjin talked, the rumbling chest calming him even more.


"Reasons like what?"


"Simple. You and Yeongi. BTS. My family."


"Oh."


Seokjin rubbed circles on Jihoon's back as he continued, "You and your dad are my happiness, Jihoonie. Without you, as cliche as it sounds, happiness would only be just a word to me. An unreachable was what your dad would pen it.

 

...Our family is unconventional but you guys are my happiness."


"That simple?" Jihoon's quiet voice reminded Seokjin of black haired, chubby cheeked Jihoon of SEVENTEEN's pre-debut days.


Seokjin chuckled, "That simple."


A few minutes of uninterruped albeit comforting silence with the occasional question from Jihoon and Seokjin answering them, it petered out to soft snuffling and snores.

 

That was how Yeongi found his family as he came home.

 

Cuddled asleep on the couch.

 

Quietly dropping his backpack, Yeongi then carefully moved the sofa chairs and aligned those to the sofa where his beloved and son slept. Tugging a blanket from one of the chairs, he draped it on all three of them as he put his arm around the two people he called his happiness.

 

That was how Jihoon woke up.

 

Being warmed by his parent's hug.


Days after that, Jihoon lovingly and painstakingly wrote and compose a song.


Dragging Bumzu to his studio, he played the song. He had no intention of publishing this song to the public. He might burn it in a CD and give it to his parents but that's about it.


Jihoon pretended he wasn't worried and looked calmly at the helpful elder as the song finished. "What do you think, Bumzu hyung?"


Bumzu patted Jihoon's shoulder and smiled.


"It's good. The song's good. I can't say anything other than that. Is it alright if you include this in the repackaged album?"


Jihoon blinked, "Wait. What? This song?"


Bumzu chuckled. "Yes. And include it in the concert performance list, too. You'll be singing this, alright?"


"Wha-? But, hyung! I...its not done yet!"


"It's perfect the way it is, Jihoon. What's the title?"


Jihoon breathed deeply.

 

"Simple."

 

Bumzu smiled again, "It's a very good song."


Jihoon smiled his thanks.

 



Jihoon stood on the platform. Nervously fiddling on his cuffs, he breathed in and out slowly.


He had made sure he got tickets for his parents, he had to buy it under his other name "Min Jihoon".


'Hopefully no one suspected it.'


He wasn't really nervous about anything aside from his song. He had made sure his parents wouldn't be able to listen to the audio of it. Even going to the lengths of bribing Jungkook with food and a free three-month subscription to their favorite gym.


In short, this would be the first time his parents will hear this song. He didn't know if his dad, Yeongi, knew about it but he was going to bet their group's wins that he did. If not, well... he'll know now.


"Jihoon-ah!"


Jihoon turned around to see Soonyoung smiling up at him, "Fighting!"


Jihoon eyesmiled as the platform rose and smoke started appearing as the music started.

"오늘의 마지막 이 길에 서 있다
매일은 이렇게 ooh
드넓은 세상엔
난 먼지만도 못한 걸 잘 알고 있지만
쉬운 일 하나 없는
출구 없는 미로인듯한 세상
행복은 그냥 말만 있는 거고
모두가 원하는 Dream일뿐이라고
말도 안 되는 얘긴걸 yeah
믿고 싶지도 않아서 yeah
Yeah I just want it SIMPLE SIMPLE oh-

나를 숨쉬게 하는 모든 것이
그저 간단했으면 해
내게서 멀리 더 멀리
더 보이지 않을 때까지
I call you baby yeah
Baby’s called my happiness yeah
Yeah I just want it SIMPLE SIMPLE
I want it SIMPLE

쉬운 일 하나 없는
출구 없는 미로인 듯한 이 세상

행복은 그냥 말만 있는 거고
모두가 원하는 Dream일뿐이라고
말도 안 되는 얘긴걸 yeah
믿고 싶지도 않아서 yeah
Yeah I just want it SIMPLE SIMPLE oh-

나를 숨쉬게 하는 모든 것이
그저 간단했으면 해
내게서 멀리 더 멀리
더 보이지 않을 때까지
I call you baby yeah
Baby’s called my happiness yeah
Yeah I just want it SIMPLE SIMPLE
I want it SIMPLE

Em- I want it simple yeah-
내가 틀린 거라고 yeah 모두가 말해도
이 밤이 지나면 함께 웃을 수 있길

나를 숨쉬게 하는 모든 것이
그저 간단했으면 해
내게서 멀리 더 멀리
더 보이지 않을 때까지
I call you baby yeah
Baby’s called my happiness
Yeah I just want it SIMPLE SIMPLE
I want it SIMPLE
Oh I want it SIMPLE oh yeah
I want it SIMPLE"

 



Hearing the fans cheer as his song ended, Jihoon breathed in deeply. Smiling as his platform descended and he disappeared from the view of the fans waving their lightsticks, he couldn't wait to see what his parents would say.

 



Coming down from the high after their concert, SEVENTEEN tiredly entered their dorm. Although tired, the members were still happily exclaiming the success of their concert along with complaints of tiredness and sore muscles as well as sore throats. Jihoon, tired and barely blinking, dragged Seungcheol to a quiet corner.


"Jihoon, what is it?" Seungcheol stared at their tired composer. He looked like every member on their team right now, weary but happy and unable to shale the sleepiness from their eyes.


"I'm going somewhere."


Seungcheol blinked. "Now?" 


Seeing the younger nod, Seungcheol replied with a "but it's late!"


Jihoon shrugged, sleepiness slightly forgotten as he was determined to go out and see his parents right now.


"I know, hyung. But I gotta go now. Please."


Seungcheol sighed. He didn't know where Jihoon goes whenever he disappears and not even Soonyoung could track him down. Where else would he go? Jeonghan had adamantly told him before when he was fed up with Jihoon's disappearing acts and was about to confront the composer about it to leave the poor kid alone. "Let him relax, Seungcheollie" was what Jeonghan quietly told him while smiling up at him in that way that Suengcheol knew he would give in with no questions whatsoever.


Speaking about Jeonghan, Seungcheol could feel him staring at the two of them in the corner, unnoticed by the other members. Seungcheol turned his head and saw said angel smiling and nodding slightly, making Seungcheol sigh.


"Fine but text me, okay?"


And at once, Jihoon's eyesmile appeared and, if Seungcheol had been any weak species, he would have crumbled but he wasn't so thank whoever made him like that. He watched as the short vocalist tugged on a snapback and put on his mask. Then he was sneaking past the celebrating members, Seungkwan and Seokmin were noisily covering some kind of girl group song that only came out as some type of alien language due to the two yawning and sleepily finding their way to their rooms.


Jihoon was gone from the dorm with only their leader, the mother of the group and one certain performance team leader noticing.


Seeing Soonyoung following Jihoon's exit, Seungcheol half dragged, half carried the dancer to where Jeonghan was. A quiet corner for them.


"Let him be for now, Soonyoung. He'll tell us when he wants to and when he's ready," were Jeonghan's words before Seungcheol could even open his mouth. 


Quietly looking at the pair, Soonyoung sighed, "As long as he stays safe


...he is safe, right?"


Seungcheol nodded.


"He'll text me so don't worry."


"Fine."


Jeonghan smiled at that and ruffled the younger's hair, "Now, go get some sleep. Seungcheol and I are gonna wait for Jihoon's text, okay?"


Soonyoung was about to protest but he was already being pushed to his bedroom by Jeonghan and then he was dragged by Minghao saying something along the lines of "missing my beauty sleep".


Jeonghan chuckled then dragged Seungcheol to the couch, grabbing a spare comforter on the way. Pushing Seungcheol to sit, he then used Seungcheol's lap as a pillow and curled up under the comforter, making sure that Seungcheol was tucked in with it as well. It was Seungcheol's turn to chuckle, "You should have told Soonyoung that I was the only one who's gonna wait up for Jihoon while you use my poor lap as a pillow substitute."


"I'm keeping you company, leader, so hush and let me rest my eyes for awhile."


Seungcheol rolled his eyes at that and the TV then muted the volume as he watched late night shows.


Jihoon owed him big time.



Meanwhile, Jihoon had already been about to hail a cab but he hadn't needed to for there right in front of the dorm building was an SUV with the window rolled down and showing Min Yeongi's blonde, tousled hair and gummy smile.


"Get in, kid," Yeongi called out.


Jihoon grinned and ran to the back seat door, opening it then getting hugged within an inch of his life by Seokjin.


"Oh, Jihoonie! That song! You did great! I'm so proud of you, my son. My darling, preciouss son."


Seokjin rained kisses on Jihoon's forehead and quietly squealed while cooing praises at his precious son. Jihoon coul donly giggle and bask in the feeling of accomplishment and love of his family.


Yeongi watched this in the rearview mirror and chuckled as he parked right in front of a convenience store near the Hangang River. Seeing that both his "wife" and son had not noticed the now unmoving car, he clambered over to the back seat and tackled the two most important people in his life.

Kissing Jihoon's forehead, Yeongi quietly said, "You did great, Jihoon. We're so proud of you."

Jihoon could only grin and tighten the hug as he thanked his dad. Seokjin then kissed each of his precious treasure's foreheads.

"I love the both of you so much. You're my happiness."


"I love you too, mom, dad."


"I love you too, Seokjin, Jihoon."


The rest of the night was spent eating hot ramen at the banks of the Hangang River as the family of three quietly enjoyed their time as a family together.