First, and Last

Overdue Affections, Timely Attractions

A/N: I used Busan and Anyang in the context of which that they're much larger than povinces in Korea. Yeah, they're actual places but for this fic, they're neighboring nations in a different era. Thank and i'll see you guys at the end of this lmaoo 5.9k words of goodness that i wrote half asleep

_________

"Are you nervous?"

 

Jungkook turns around and sees Taehyung leaning against the tall doorframe. The guard is dressed a little more formally than usual. Flowing robes and loose attire is replaced with a fitting collared shirt. His signature red collar is still on his neck though, a customary symbol to identify him as a guard. 

 

 

Then again, such a change in attire should be no surprise. After all, they're meeting the Kim family in Anyang. Being decent in appearance is crucial. 

 

 

"Not in the slightest." Jungkook looks at himself in the mirror, velvet top having a seductive dip on his collarbones. (Personally, Jungkook finds it a bit revealing.)

 

 

Sighing, he grabs a dark blazer as Taehyung continues to talk. 

 

 

 

"Isn't it thrilling, to meet your betrothed husband for the first time?" Taehyung grins. Honestly, Jungkook thinks that his guard's eyes have more life than his own. "What was his name again...? It seemed to have slipped my mind–"

 

 

"Kim Seokjin," Jungkook stares down at his polished dresser, where a small picture—and the one of the only proofs of his fiancé's identity—is wedged in the mirror's corner. "I guess the thought of meeting him is not so dull." 

 

The photo is a smiling face of the Kim's son, a young male with supple cheeks and dark hair. If the young prince were to speak honestly, Seokjin's face is a little too bold and slightly awkward looking.

 

"But...there's something else bothering you." Taehyung says. 

 

"It feels very anticlimatic. I haven't even met the man yet."

 

 

Jungkook averts his attention to adjusting his cufflinks. That picture had been given to him when he was 13, and it's become a common sight in his household now. But his expectations are low. 

 

It's clear that Seokjin may or may not look the same in this current day, though the chances of the former are high. There were other family pictures that Jungkook managed to find, and Seokjin still had that awkward air around his face. 

 

"I think it's quite the opposite." Taehyung chimes in, strutting forward at Jungkook's pesimisstic attitude. Unlike Yoongi, the much more reserved form of security, Taehyung liked running his mouth and speaking his thoughts. Jungkook learned to just let him be. "You've been betrothed to the Kim's son since you were only three."

 

"That's what my mother has told me all my life." Jungkook says a little bitterly. "If that be the case, I should've met my fiancé a long time ago."

 

"Your family and theirs have reasons. " Taehyung dismisses, placing hands on Jungkook's shoulders. "When you two meet, do you think there's a chance of love at first sight?"

 

"Don't be ridiculous." Jungkook scoffs. 

 

"I'm serious, it's possible! One look at the young Kim heir and you could be head over heels," Taehyung snaps his fingers. 

 

"I...I doubt it."

 

The guard sighs at Jungkook's uninterest, but nudges him lightly. "Now then. Your mom's waiting out with your father. Shall we go?"

 

"I'll be out momentarily."

 

Taehyung takes this as a sign to make his leave, but not before shooting another smirk towards the young prince. "Composing yourself to meet your lover, I see." He teases under a murmur, and exits. 

 

Jungkook isn't sure how to act. 

 

The Kim family in Anyang has always been good partners in the neighboring nations, but particularly generous to his own family down in Busan. 

 

Jungkook first learned of his betrothal when he was 6, when unknown people arrived in Busan. His mother gradually explained the benefits of combining such close and wealthy empires into one—and what better way to manage it by wedding their sons?

 

Jungkook discovered that those unknown people had been the Kim family at the age of 8. The idea of having a husband wasn't a big deal to Jungkook, who couldn't find interest in girls and boys at his private league school anyways. It has been hard to find interest in this presumed fiancé, as well. 

 

Each time the Kim family would visit Busan, his spouse-to-be was absent for every occasion. Master and Mistress Kim were very kind to Jungkook, but his curiosity and longing to see his destined partner in person grew on his nerves. 

 

Whenever he asked to visit Seokjin, the answer has always been the same. 

 

"You will meet him soon." 

 

What is their definition of soon? The prince would never know. 

 

Jungkook had lost faith in the entire marriage a couple times—there's a signed contract by both families, yes, but no rings and no proof that Seokjin really exists—

 

16 years since his betrothal, the date of their fated meeting landed on Jungkook during his 19th birthday. 

 

He didn't feel a spark of excitement, but rather a slow, settling dread in his stomach. Things were finally moving along. 

 

And that awful, grainy picture of Seokjin on his mirror. Jungkook couldn't find much traces of identification elsewhere. If he really looks like that in person...

 

"Child-like." Jungkook sighs, taking the small film and sliding it into his pant pocket. 

 

"Jungkook!" Taehyung's voice echoes from the entranceway, and his gut lurches a little. 

 

"Coming, Taehyung." 

 

Today, Jungkook is going to meet his promised partner for the first time. 

 

He better not be disappointed. Jungkook huffs, shoving the prospects of things like love at first sight to the back of his mind. 

 

.

 

 

Jungkook's thumbing the photo in the palm of his hand. Will his future husband be aloof and unwelcoming, perhaps as bitter as he is?

 

Or will he be as burly as his father Master Kim, occasionally reeking of red wine. 'Perhaps,' Jungkook thinks as he gazes outside to the widespread fields. 'Perhaps he's as thin as Mistress Kim.'

 

Then, Jungkook tries to picture a face merge between Mistress Kim's structured face and Master Kim's rounded one. 

 

Strange. 

 

It's silent in the black, sleek vehicle. Taehyung taps his fingers on the seat aimlessly while his mother and father are whispering about something. Their chauffeur is simply keeping his eyes on the road. 

 

Jungkook purses his lips when Seokjin's old picture is pasty in the light of the sun. Maybe, if they met years so, like it should have been, then this tension in his gut would not have happened. 

 

If Jungkook's expectations are not met, then he should have been disappointed years ago—if they decided to bring Seokjin along for one visit. 

 

But no, he's forced to wait and get his hopes let down after years of aimless pining. 

 

An average villager may say Jungkook is being too cruel to his husband (who he hasn't even met yet), but the young prince believes that if he is getting an arranged marriage, he should at least get a decent suitor. It's a little unfair that he never saw his partner's face once.

 

Jungkook isn't saying Seokjin is unsuitable, though he can't help getting anxious as each kilometer is passed. 

 

"Son," His mother suddenly speaks. "I do hope you give Seokjin a chance. We've been—"

 

"—anticipating this for years. I know," Jungkook shuts his eyes and he feels Taehyung shift closer. 

 

"Mistress Kim says he's a very nice man. I believe he will take care of you."

 

Jungkook simply nods. Because that's all he can do as his grip on the small picture tightens, even more when the territorial sign of 'ANYANG' comes into view. 

 

There's taller estates past the commoner villages, much similar to Busan. Anyang has a slight incline to it, and soon Jungkook finds the little buildings behind them shrinking as the car putters on.

 

"Oh wow, it's so vibrant here!" Taehyung gasps, as people in more colorful outfits pass their car in a medley of rainbow shades. 

 

"The Kim property is quite far up, so we've got to go through the local traffic first." Their driver says, and Jungkook's father dismisses him with a wave of the hand. 

 

The young prince wonders if Seokjin dresses as tacky as his people. 

 

"People of Anyang appear to be more...industrialized." Taehyung observes. 

 

'He isn't wrong,' Jungkook thinks, as the variety in transportation is less diverse than in Busan, where rickshaws and carriages are always a common form of travel. 

 

After cutting through narrower roads, they're on a slight uphill drive past many trees. Light seeps through and it's quite a sight. Green grass is all Jungkook sees when they emerge from the scenic drive. 

 

A majestic, gated manor appears after the tenuous route up a (long) driveway, and the car stops. 

 

They're here. 

 

"You may get off here, m'lady. I shall go and find a place to park." Their chauffeur says.

 

Jungkook is the last one to step off the car and onto the Kim's property, where a butler frantically greets them at the tall iron gates.

 

"Welcome, we've been expecting your visit!" The butler welcomes them, with a dimpled smile. "I'm Kim Namjoon, and I will be taking you to the main waiting chambers until Master and Mistress are ready."

 

"And what about the young Lord, Seokjin?" Taehyung inquires.

 

"He'll be ready as well."

 

Jungkook unconsciously feels around in his pocket.

 

The picture is still there. Things just became real, and in a short duration of time he will finally meet his fiance.

 

It's Jungkook's first time in Anyang, and the manor is quite an eyeful. Patterned and polished marble floors grace his shoes, and there's towering beige pillars that compliment the entire estate. A statue is perched by itself on a railing that lines an immense staircase. 

 

"Gorgeous," Taehyung breathes. 

 

Namjoon leads them down a few hallways, never a dull moment as decorations cover the expanse of plain walls. "Would you like a drink while you wait?"

 

They all find a comfortable couch to sit on, in the spacious waiting room. A wide window with billowing curtains grants them all a view of the emerald trimmed grasses. 

 

"I'll have some white wine, if you may." Lady Jeon replies. 

 

"I'm okay," Taehyung smiles respectfully. 

 

Jungkook shakes his head. He can't be chugging any sort of drink. He needs to focus on the situation at hand—he'll be meeting the very man who's been bonded with him since birth. 

 

Soon enough, Master and Mistress Kim enter the room in an chorus of exclamation, his own parents standing to hug one another. Jungkook fidgets awkwardly when they look at him. 

 

"Oh my, Jungkook-sshi," Mistress Kim glides over and practically pulls him onto his feet before caressing his face with her thin hands. "You've grown to be quite the man,"

 

"A handsome one but also inexperienced by his wide eyes," Master Kim jokes, swirling a glass of red wine. 

 

Jungkook flushes in embarrassment. "I-It's been too long, Master Kim, Mistress,"

 

"It has been," Lady Jeon agrees from her position beside Jungkook. 

 

"Easy on the eyes," Mistress Kim laughs. "He might rival Seokjin's visual—that's too bad, he's been a nervous wreck."

 

Then it falls quiet, even Taehyung is expectant to see how Jungkook will react. 

 

"May I request Seokjin-sshi's whereabouts?" The young prince questions hastily. 

 

Mistress Kim laughs. "No need to be so formal." She turns on her heel, yelling. "Seokjin! Why, Seokjin! Our guests have arrived, don't be rude, now!"

 

Taehyung leans back on his hands and chuckles, as frantic steps are echoing someplace else in the manor. 

 

Jungkook's eyes widen when the steps are loudening. "There's no rush, Mistress. Trust me, let him take his time."

 

"Nonsense," Master Kim garbles. "You're too generous to a kid you've never met."

 

"Well—" Jungkook feigns anxiety, pretending to appear tired. "Could you direct me to a balcony, where I can get fresh air? Seokjin can meet me there,"

 

"You are audacious—" Lady Jeon frowns at her son. 

 

"No, it's a good idea that they meet personally. Turn on your left, and it leads straight to our widest, overlooking the plains. I shall tell Seokjin to follow." Mistress points. 

 

Jungkook feels like he's won, as he walks too quickly to where he's been told. He can't meet Seokjin under the supervision of his parents. He needs this to be private, in order for his evaluation to really work. 

 

The balcony is quite high, but Jungkook isn't afraid as he pushes open he doors and lets the wind encase him. The views are no lower than what he's been hoping for—after all, the Kim's estate is more than impressive. 

 

Jungkook lets himself drink in the sight of a charming botanical garden just below the balcony, with walkways and unique irrigation systems that he would never dream of having in Busan. 

 

Jungkook quickly takes out the small photo of Seokjin, brushing a thumb over the dark fringe. 'I'll see you soon.'

 

By soon, Jungkook didn't expect instant. 

 

He hears footsteps behind him, scraping against the granite floor. 

 

"I found you,"

 

The timbre of such a rich voice almost makes Jungkook whirl around as he seizes up—uncertainty holds him back though. It's not a female's voice, that's for sure. 

 

The sentence sounds almost hushed, as if Jungkook wasn't supposed to hear. But that tone, it sounds nothing like he anticipated. 

 

The stubborn prince pretends he didn't notice, and soon the presence looms closer by a couple steps. 

 

"Jeon Jungkook?" The male speaks again, and goddesses above help him, Jungkook hears maturity, and youth at the same time. So, he finally turns around. He needs to put a face to this lovely voice. 

 

Kim Seokjin, to summarize in words, is beautiful. Angelic. This, is his fiancé.

 
 

 

 

Long forgotten is the awkward tanned child in the picture that lay in his palm. Jungkook doesn't see a cringe-worthy black fringe and a crooked smile. But he does see some resemblance. 

 

The Kim heir is looking at him, sun-kissed skin smooth in the light, eyebrows a gentle arch as they give his gentle eyes a sense of dominance. 

 

Seokjin's face is chiseled now, narrowed after years of adolescence. 

 

The swept and parted locks of his hair are the softest hue of rose-gold. As ridiculous as anyone else would've looked like with pink pigments, Jungkook feels his throat go dry at the sight of such a unique visual. It suits him unbelievably well

 

Jungkook takes note that Seokjin's wearing a choker as well. He finds this interesting, since in Busan, chokers and collars are signs of status—red ones for guards and butlers, veridian for servants.

 

 

No, Seokjin's choker is unique, clinging on his neck with a brooch shining discreetly. And his attire is not ridiculously colourful--against a white low-necked shirt, there is a charming combination of red lace draped over his lean stature. His dark tousers were certainly not made of cheap material, either.

 

His lips are full and rosy and they pull into a small smile.  

 

"Ah, the renowned Jeon Jungkook is speechless," Seokjin chuckles, and it's a glorious sound. 

 

Jungkook subconsciously frowns at his comment, but he frowns even more when Seokjin's smile disappears. 

 

"My apologies, didn't mean to let that slip." Seokjin steps forward. "Let me be a bit more formal."

His laughter rings in the expanse between them and he holds out a delicate hand towards Jungkook. "Hi, Jungkook-sshi,"

 

The young prince fidgets. "Hello." He decides to be polite and places his hand in a friendly handshake with Seokjin. It hadn't been at least five minutes and Jungkook hates how he's at a loss. 

 

Seokjin's eyes shine in honesty when he says, "I'm so glad to finally meet you. I was a bit worried, but now I'm just so relieved."

 

Jungkook swallows, but fixes a tiny smile of his own. "And same to you."

 

"You're not a man of many words, are you, Jungkook," Seokjin quirks an eyebrow and makes his way to lean on the marble railings. "How was your travels here? You seem a bit tired."

 

The young prince flushes, averting his gaze. "Anyang is admirable. I enjoy company and such, but right now I'm just—overwhelmed?"

 

"Overwhelmed?" Seokjin parrots. "How so?"

 

"Well, we've been engaged since the dawn of our childhood, and we haven't met until now." Jungkook explains. "I've never seen your face, save for an old picture."

 

"Old picture?" Seokjin seems a bit worried. "Did my mother give that to you during one of her visits?"

 

Jungkook nods, not stopping his hand as it fishes out the photo. 

 

"May I see it?" Seokjin asks. Jungkook is just grateful that the handsome man didn't ask why he still has it in his pocket. 

 

"Oh, good beasts," The pinkette practically splutters. "This is so—such an old picture!"

 

He seems thoroughly embarrassed by his own face, and Jungkook finds it charming how Seokjin's comfortable enough to ramble on right in front of him. There isn't much of an awkward wall between them.

 

"Well...that picture didn't do you any justice," Jungkook compliments, and he's a little pleased when Seokjin snaps his head up to look at him in surprise. 

 

Seokjin pouts, and sourly looks down at his photo again, as if he had another rebut to say.

 

"You're gorgeous," Jungkook blurts out, and this time they're both blushing madly. Although, he's trying hard to look nonchalant right now. 

 

"That's too kind of you," Seokjin is clearly caught off guard, in contrast to his complaining mere seconds ago. "You know...you are quite handsome yourself. I haven't seen men like you in a long while."

 

', don't say stuff like that--' It's Jungkook's turn to get shy, as he can't stop stealing glances at Seokjin—not when he's gazing at him in such an enticing way. 

 

"Thank you," Jungkook murmurs, and he likes to think that the distance between them got smaller. 

 

They talk amiably about nothing and everything. Seokjin reveals that he's been homeschooled all his life, while Jungkook says that he's always had Seokjin's photo on his dresser. 

 

The young princes spill about the mundane and the deep topics of whatever comes up into their mind. 

 

Seokjin confesses that he's never been in love before, but he wouldn't mind if Jungkook is the first one and the only one to receive such attention. Jungkook thinks back to Taehyung's words of love at first sight and initial attraction and he's fearing (hoping, dreaming) that this is what's happening right now. 

 

Jungkook replies with how he's been waiting for Seokjin, almost losing hope in the entire betrothal before their meeting. 

 

Seokjin says that Namjoon's been a friend to him, and Jungkook finds himself relating so easily with Taehyung. 

 

"This is funny. Can you believe we've been engaged for the longest time? I wish I visited you all those years ago." Seokjin says a little sadly. 

 

Jungkook bites his lip. Curiosity overtakes him again. "Why didn't you?"

 

Seokjin stares off into the scenery. "Sometimes I ask myself that. I...I didn't think I was ready. Also, my family kept me homeschooled for a reason, so when I met you, I would be ready and untainted by society." Lastly, he finishes with, "I didn't want to meet you while we were both immature."

 

A serious air hangs over them. "Seokjin..."

 

"Doesn't mean that I didn't rebel," Seokjin adds. "Namjoon and I had our fair share of escapes and day trips. I know what I need to know."

 

The corners of Jungkook's mouth pull upward in pure amusement. This man, Seokjin—he really is something. 

 

"You know...I had a picture of you as well, but Namjoon spilled coffee on it." Seokjin sighs. 

 

Somehow, Jungkook's glad that his prepubescent days are no longer present in Seokjin's possession. 

 

"It's fine. There is not a lot of attractive genetics going on in Busan." Jungkook quips, causing Seokjin to elbow him boldly. 

 

"Quiet, you are so cute."

 

"Cute?" Jungkook wrinkles his nose. 

 

Seokjin chuckles. "What, unless you want adorable that is,"

 

"God, how old are you?"

 

"Turning 23 soon," Seokjin hums.

 

Jungkook's eyes widen. "You're older than me?"

 

A chiming laugh graces the young prince's ears as Seokjin says, "You didn't know that?"

 

Jungkook shakes his head.

 

"Well...when we're alone, I guess you can call me Seokjin." He dramatically slumps over. "But if I hear some informal speech from you, I will not hesitate to burn your food."

 

The young prince giggles along with the older male. "Note taken."

 

"It's getting a bit cold," Seokjin muses, though Jungkook is so, so warm right now. "Let's go inside?"

 

"Yeah...let's go inside."

 

.

 

 

"Wow, your hair's really nice!" Taehyung has grown so comfortable to Seokjin in the past 10 minutes and Jungkook can't believe that he's becoming delirious because of petty jealousy. 

 

"T-Thank you," Seokjin chuckles when Taehyung takes strands and threads them between his fingers. 

 

"Taehyung." Jungkook coughs. 

 

"Jungkook, he's so pretty!" Taehyung stage-whispers.

 

'He is. Now please restrain yourself,' Jungkook has the urge to say, but doesn't when his parents return into the waiting room. He is, although more at ease when Taehyung and Seokjin stop their little ministrations. 

 

"I see they've grown quite accustomed to each other already," Lady Jeon says. 

 

"They look quite good together," Master Kim, in a drunken stupor, manages to judge. 

 

Jungkook barely registers Seokjin standing from Taehyung's couch and walking over to sit beside him. Comfort washes over his tired body. 

 

"I presume you two got along?" Mistress Kim smiles. 

 

"Jungkook is wonderful," Seokjin practically gushes, and Jungkook isn't used to such compliments but he'll take it any day, wholehearted. 

 

So, he definitely finds himself obligated to return the kindness. "Seokjin has been nothing but welcoming towards me. I am grateful."

 

"Oh, you all are welcome to join us for dinner tonight." Mistress Kim invites. "Let's get a bit more productive and talk about plans."

 

.

 

 

"So I get to visit Busan?" Seokjin asks, expression lighting up instantly. 

 

"That's our idea, yes." Lady Jeon replies, eating slowly. "You and Jungkook need to become a bit more familiar. Although we would wish to hold the wedding as soon as possible, this relationship needs more strength."

 
Jungkook finds everything slipping from his contol again. They're speaking of plans and transition visits that they'll do, but honestly he just wants to do this with Seokjin naturally--
 

 

"When?" 

 

"Well...we're unsure if you should go return to Busan with Jungkook during their leave tonight, or perhaps in three full business days." 

 

Jungkook just focuses on his food, trying not to make eye contact with Seokjin who's across from him. 

 

"Let Seokjin and Jungkook decide."

 

Seokjin then nudges his foot under the table, causing the young prince to shoot a mild glare when his mushroom falls off his fork. 

 

"I think Seokjin should have some time to prepare. So, I suggest we return here in three days." Jungkook explains after a careful moment of thought. 

 

He nervously looks to Seokjin, but his face is unreadable. Then, it morphs into relief as he mouths 'thank you.'

 

Figures, Seokjin's never been outside of Anyang before. He probably would have been a bundle of nerves if he'd accompanied them tonight. The last thing he wants is this arrangement being built off meddling parents and forced favours. This marriage may have come up with intentions of flourishing family business, but Jungkook still wants the intimate aspect in this as well.

 

"Sounds reasonable," Master Kim inquires. "Seokjin, son? Your thoughts?"

 

"I'm content with that plan." Seokjin says. 

 

"But before you both leave, I'll let Seokjin fetch your rings." Mistress Kim adds spontaneously, causing Taehyung to pause in his indulging and the scrapes of forks and spoons silencing. 

 

Rings? 

 

"Engagement rings," Seokjin clarifies, as if he sensed the shift in atmosphere. "Am I correct?"

 

"Yes, son." Mistress Kim dabs at her lips. "We do have signed documents for this marriage, but engagement rings are essential."

 

The slight falter in the atmosphere is quickly replaced by the chatter of the table once again, but it's all drowned out at the sound of Jungkook's pounding heart. 

 

.

 

 

 

The Jeon heir is alone, stuffed, and tired when he wanders around the garden. Back at the dinner table, Taehyung delayed their departure by a landslide when he notified them of an upset stomach, fleeing the room. Namjoon, the wonderful soul, went and is helped him out. 

 

Jungkook stares at the cobblestone walkways, the beautiful fountain that shimmers against the moonlight. The yellow shades from the manor's lights are still casting a glow over the dewy grass and flowers, and the darkness is something that comforts the prince. 

 

Above him is the same balcony where he and Seokjin exchanged all their lost years mere hours ago. 

 

Jungkook exhales rather loudly, crouching to brush a hand against the blue blossoms that thrive in the night. In Busan, their garden consists of shrubs and common flowers with the odd daisy here and there. 

 

This, is a sight to see. 

 

Jungkook finds himself sitting on a bench and humming quietly. Laughter can be heard inside, and all the prince wants to do is sit in silence and mull over the day.

 

That is, until the notorious Kim Seokjin manages to sneak up on him again. 

 

"You're alone here?"

 

He looks different under moonlight but beautiful all the same. He's changed into lighter robes, white shades almost radiating their own light. Jungkook feels himself falling hard. 

 

"I thought you ran off for a second," Seokjin grins, and Jungkook redirects his attention to the flowerbeds, fondly staring down at the plants.

 

"No. I'm just waiting for Taehyung to finish his dilemma in your lavatories. Sorry, by the way, for his inconvenience." Jungkook addresses his guard sheepishly. 

 

"No worries, Namjoon's around so everything will be fine." Seokjin responds with a relieved lilt in his voice. 

 

Jungkook leans back on the bench and stares up at the sky. "You have a lovely garden."

 

"You think so?" Seokjin brushes a part of his swept bangs behind his ear, walking forward and examining a lavender bud. "I work hard to keep these alive. Thank you."

 

"Hard work always pays off, I guess."

 

"You can say that again," Seokjin grumbles comically. "Since I'm usually kept up in this manor, I put my time towards agriculture."

 

The prince can only imagine Seokjin crouching every day in the dirt, watering the plants and cultivating radiant species. Or something like that. The fact that Seokjin harbors such hobbies piques interest in Jungkook, curious to discover what other talents the older male holds. 

 

Just as Jungkook began to close his eyes to bask in the ambience of it all, Seokjin stands tall from looking at lavender and turns to him. "So, what did you think of...well, everything?"

 

"The food was really good."

 

Seokjin rolls his eyes and says more hesitantly, "I meant us meeting."

 

"Oh." Jungkook sits up a bit. "I...I wouldn't have asked for a better first encounter. You're quite the man, Seokjin."

 

Seokjin smiles bashfully. "I was going to re-state how generous and handsome you are, but you probably knew that."

 

With an uncontrolled mind, the young prince can only flatter the other in return. 

 

Jungkook awkwardly shifts on the bench. "Are you describing yourself, Seokjin?"

 

"You're also very smooth. Nice one."

 

In another time and place, perhaps Jungkook would have never been able to be with someone this way.They share a laugh, and it lasts for seconds, minutes, who knows how long they've been like this.  That is, until Lady Jeon's voice cuts through he clearing and Jungkook can't find himself wanting to leave. "Jungkook! Where are you? We are taking our leave in ten!"

 

"I'll see you in three days. I am going to be ready by then." Seokjin says after the Lady finishes her hollering. 

 

Jungkook gnaws his lip. As much as he wants to have Seokjin with him in Busan to enjoy his company a little longer, plucking Seokjin out of the comforts of Anyang so abruptly would be horrible. 

 

"You'll enjoy Busan, we will make sure your stay is worthwhile."

 

Seokjin quirks a smile and wraps his arms around himself, content. "I appreciate your efforts."

 

Jungkook isn't sure how to go from here. He nods, shifting stiffly from one foot to the next when he stands.  

 

"I'll see you then," Jungkook mutters, and turns to make a quick leave. 

 

That is, until a hand encases his. "Oh, wait."

 

Jungkook eyes Seokjin. There's no look of hesitation but rather a gaze of fondness upon his delicate features. "Seokjin?"

 

"I almost forgot. My mother gave this to me." Seokjin reaches into his robes and takes out two small boxes. "Remember? The engagement rings?"

 

Jungkook knows, he knows what's about to come. 

 

And he isn't stopping it. He doesn't want to stop. 

 

"Let's make this official, shall we?" Seokjin opens the box, but pauses. "If—you're okay."

 

Jungkook silently nods, because the ring is a simple, silver band but it's pretty. Like Seokjin. 

 

"I'll put this on you."

 

"...yeah."

 

It's a perfect fit, and Jungkook returns the deed by slipping the second ring onto Seokjin's finger, the cool metal relief against his burning skin. He knows that once they share this, there's no going back. 

 

"I assume we are even more official now." Jungkook muses, watching the silver ring glisten. It's completely casual, but strangely personal between them and this is the kind of thing he's been longing for.

 

"Official, huh..." Seokjin admires their matching rings as he takes Jungkook's hand in his. "We're engaged, Jungkook."

 

"Seems like it." Jungkook let's Seokjin's soft hands hold onto his, their rings a perfect match. 

 

"I did not think I would be this...excited? I don't know, actually—" Seokjin lets out a breathy chortle and lets go of Jungkook's hand. "I'm glad it's you Jungkook. We waited so long,"

 

"And I, you. But I think if your suitor had been different, you may have accepted him anyway." 

 

"One won't know because it never happened." The rose haired male says. His voice lowers to a fragile whisper that holds many promises and covers and secrets that Jungkook wants to find. 

 

Jungkook echoes him, each word sounding right in his ears. "We're engaged."

 

"We may have been since our infant days, but this," Seokjin raises his hand with the accessory. "Is something between us."

 

"I agree."

 

Lady Jeon's calls interrupt their bonding once again, and Jungkook feels the thudding of his heart slow down.  

 

"It really is time for me to head back to Busan." The young prince lets out a rueful sigh. 

 

"Three days." Seokjin reminds him. The sounds that the garden crickets make seem to be agreeing with Seokjin. 

 

"I'll fetch you then, I guess." Jungkook murmurs. 

 

"It's been good spending time with you," 

 

The night is quiet but the moon's a witness. An innocent observer when Seokjin closes the gap between them. 

 

"May I kiss your lips just once tonight, and indulge you for good measure?" Seokjin whispers, daring and he's suddenly so close and Jungkook wants to say yes, yes—

 

"You may."

 

They're going to be doing this eventually, so this is a good place to start their budding relationship, Jungkook figures. Seokjin looks even more beautiful and he swears that he's holding a breath. 

 

Jungkook is incredibly timid, and he feels himself shrink when Seokjin's fingers are light against his cheek. 

 

He watches with unblinking eyes as Seokjin's nose brushes against his.

 

Jungkook sighs, when Seokjin's supple lips gently press into his, soothing and chaste. 

 

There's no grand revelation or twist in this story. They stay, for a good beat or two, breathing calm when Seokjin recedes only to return again.

 

Jungkook doesn't pay heed to his inexperience or lack of thereof when his head is cradled and warmth is spread through his system. 

 

Seokjin applies the softest pressure on his lips before he pulls away, Jungkook melts. He's ethereal like this. And at this moment, much to his competitive dismay, Taehyung was right. 

 

Initial attraction, love at first sight is real

 

"Good enough for your standards?" The older male asks teasingly. 

 

"You are quite eager." Jungkook puts on his tough facade, but there's no use when Seokjin's touch lingers on him. "I liked that, though."

 

"Three days and we can relive it. Now, you mustn't keep your mom waiting." Seokjin threads his fingers with his, and they trek out of the garden. 

 

His fiancé embraces Jungkook tightly, and it really does seem as if they knew each other from eras ago. The 19 year absence from Seokjin is something that is soon forgotten under the spell of the night. 

 

That might be the wine talking, but Jungkook doesn't care when it's all truth. 

 

"Goodbye, thank you for your hospitality," Jungkook bows to the Mistress and Master seamlessly, as if their son didn't just kiss him breathless in their property gardens. 

 

"Three days, Seokjin," Jungkook steps out the door with Taehyung as the Kim family watches their departure. "I shall see you then."

 

Taehyung fixates a smug look the moment they sit in the car. 

 

"What?" Jungkook frowns. 

 

"Your fiancé is quite the guy, eh?"

 

"What about it?"

 

"Nothing." Taehyung pouts. "You seem to trust Seokjin already. It is a relief, to see you get along with him. After all, you were anxious before our arrival in Anyang."

 

Jungkook shakes his head with an air of comical disbelief. He trusts Seokjin. 

 

Why?

 

He thumbs the ring as his mouth tingles. The full moon that loomed over the couple is a liable reason to trust Seokjin. Love at first sight is not impossible. 

 

Jungkook keeps his discovery to himself though, because once Taehyung finds out he's right, he will never hear the end of it. 

 

Three days. 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

After three sunsets, Seokjin greets his fiancé for the second time ever. 

 

It's a little stiff when they hug, but he feels Jungkook sink into his arms after a while. Seokjin lingers after they detach from each other. 

 

Three long days of thought and reflections for Seokjin. The man realizes that they're moving forward, and he intends to do it with Jungkook beside him every step of the way. 

 

One may ask him, why does Seokjin trust Jungkook so effortlessly? 

 

He's fond of the boy already, and he intends to make this work. 

 

Why does Jungkook trust Seokjin?

 

After years of being alone, Seokjin really does not know—but he's willing to jump into this new arrangement without a second doubt. 

 

As Jungkook takes Seokjin's bag and takes it down to the car, the pink-haired prince bids his family farewell. He is unknowing in terms of how short (or how long) his visit in Busan is, but he might as well adjust himself from the life in Anyang if he's going to be marrying Jungkook. 

 

The younger male comes in seconds after Seokjin, and he realizes they're alone in the car. 

 

No chauffeur, no doting in-laws. Yes, the arrangement may have been made for the sake of prospering a sucessful business, but  Seokjin eagerly waits for theprivacies of being together as a pair.

 

"So, where are we headed to today, Jungkook?" Seokjin asks. 

 

The younger starts the ignition, and reaches for Seokjin's hand. Jungkook lifts up his hand and brings his lips to brush against Seokjin's knuckles. He thinks about now, and his sudden racing heart that feels a lot like love at second sight, and he looks forward to the future. 

 

 

 

Jungkook smiles. 

 
 

 

 

"Home."

 

 

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

 

 

A/N: lmaO yOOO WHAT RHE  heck is this

 
also, this is lowkey a royals/business au if yall were confused

 

all errors are mine rip
anyways, sorry if it seems a bit rushed it went better in my head i swear but if u made it to the end i thank you immensely for reading :)
 
if u guys need some explaining aout this verse feel free to comment cos i quite like this universe, who knows it might pan out better in a longfic ohoho till next time, it might be a different pairing ^^