Rubik

Little mermaid

Light coming through the window made dust in the air perfectly visible. It was floating slowly, almost lazily, fitting atmosphere of the room.

The most boring part of the day started. Rubik was half lying on a couch that once was classy leather type but now it looked more similar to ones standing next to trashcans.

He reached out for a superman cup that was standing on a wooden coffee table with legs scratched by a grey British cat that was currently his paws near his green litter box, which didn't fit tea coloured walls.

Taking a sip of his coffee Rubik sweared as some of it spilled onto his black tshirt. Fortunately it didn't reach his laptop. 

He looked quickly at security cameras view not paying much attention to empty corridors, guys playing poker in one of the conference rooms and little boy kicking around some trash outside. Nothing out of order.

He switched the view to his video game, his eyes following closely every move of character on the screen. 

Opposite from all what people expected from him, as a computer genius, he didn't lose good vision and also wasn't protected the most.

He knew that all members could do perfectly without him, he was just an extra.

His fingers moved on the keybord easily following all quests.

Maybe he should finally do the research on Jerry? Chanyeol didn't pressure him, since they knew that guy from quite some time, but since recently he hasn't been following the rules they had to examine his loyality.

It wasn't easy. As a professional identity changer Jerry was hard to find. Nobody even knew if that was his real name, if his family was real or just a cover up. It was Rubik's job to find out. He sighed checking security cam once more, but now paying attention to people who were recorded.

Looking at all the faces he felt mix of fear, respect and hate. All of them could kill him without hesitating and make him disappear forever. All of them were like family, excluding Rubik.

He was the new guy, the one who didn't have muscly body, who wasn't sly or particularly bad person.

He knew damn well he didn't belong here and that its the reason why they were making fun of him and beat him up from time to time.

He was here just because his god forsaken father messed with Chanyeol while borrowing money, so they made him sell his son.

It wasn't a big surprise he agreed, even though that tall Asian guy wasn't even head of the whole gang. He was just boss of a small group that was lart of a bigger machine.

He, Rubik, was black sheep of the family. Playing video games all day long instead of educating or working in family factory. Somehow joining this new life wasn't as bad for him as he expected.

They didn't take him on any "missions" since he would only slow them down. His job was to examine people that were a danger to the group he lived with.

Yeah.. living together. This wasn't nice collage dorms atmosphere. They also didn't live in villa like gangster were portrayed in movies. They lived in big abdomened house that wasn't fully destroyed by now. After all they couldn't be easy to find.

Rubik turned off camera view and switched to web search. The job won't do itself. He pulled himself up and searched for Jerry. Surprisingly lots of information popped up. Was he as bad at hiding or was it a way of distracting others?

Most probably the second version.

 

After two hours Rubik knew few things about their id creator, but still it wasn't enough. When he looked at the time he tensed up.

He was supposed to check security every 30 minutes. Examination of Jerry made him forget to do that. 

He swallowed hard. What bad could happen in two hours...

A lot. 

Poker room was empty, but bedroom cameras were off meaning someone was in there.

He looked at Chanyeol who was currently sitting in his "office" on the phone. He was tapping his long fingers on desk. From his face expression you couldn't tell anything. He always scared Rubik the most.

Baby face with almost constant smile, slender figure it all was visually pleasing, but cruelty and strength hidden in him were outrageous.

 

 

Rubik gasped when all of the sudden on one part of a screen unknown man appeared. He was even skinnier than his boss which was visible even though he was wearing big oversized red hoodie. His hair was bleached blond and a complete mess.

He was wondering around not looking too sure if he's in a right place. Rubik jumped up and ran, holding his computer, to Al's room. He was the muscly part of gang that dealt with intruders.

Breathing heavily after climbing the stairs he stopped in front of the door knocking and quickly making sure that man was still in their house.

"What is it Rubik?" He already looked annoyed which made him even more scared.

He tried to contain his shaking legs and voice to speak properly.

"There is someone in the house?" He pointed on his computer. Al leaned down to get a closer look.

"You know him?" Now he was fully serious and focused. Rubik shook his head. He was  just about to say that if he did he wouldn't panic that much, but he stopped himself.

Bigger man checked his pants for a gun and once he made sure it was sitting there he moved computer guy out of his way. He followed Al guiding him from time to time if guest changed position.

It didn't take them long to find him. Like this guy wasn't even trying to hide.

Once they saw him in one of the corridors Rubik hid behind the corner. Their guest could have been skinny, but after seeing what a small Mamerie was capable of with her stick thin arms and legs he didn't want to risk.

He watched his gang mate walking confidently while brushing his fingertips against gun on his hip.

"Hey Barbie boy" he called standing about 2 meters away "are you lost?"

A smirk appeared on his face as man turned to face him with hint of fright in his eyes.

"No." His voice was steady. Not what any of them expected. Al started slowly reaching his gun out.

"Then why are you here?" Eyes of other one were glued to his hand.

Rubik was astonished that he didn't run away already. If he was on his place he already would, and would never ever again appear here.

"I was sent by Jerry." His eyes didn't move slightest bit. 

Jerry... again him. What was he thinking, sending stick pretty boy to their gang. What was he thinking giving anybody their adress.

Now he understood why Chanyeol wanted to check him so badly.

Rubik jumped when he heard a shot, his eyes didn't even register when Al reached out for his gun. With tightly shut eyes he was sure blond guy was already dying on the floor few meters away.

"Nice dodge" he heard a laugh "not fast enough but still nice." 

His eyes opened. The guy was slightly shaking, red hoodie was now ripped and slightly covered with blood. But only on his shoulder.

"Thanks" was only a whisper but he could hear well from his hiding place. 

Finally deciding to leave it Rubik walked out, still keeping the distance and Al between them.

"Who are you?" He asked and clenched his teeth after hearing his squeaky voice. Why was it him that was most scared. Again.

"I'm..." he stopped for a second, but it was enough to be suspicious. "Ben."

He hesitated. Definitely fresh from Jerry. He needed time to learn confidence in his new identity.

Al nodded acting like he didn't catch it, but he most certainly did. Nobody here was dumb.

"And what are you doing here Barbie boy?"

Ben, or however was he called didn't seem to care about this name.

"I came here to see Chanyeol." Rubik didn't even realise when he almost jumped to blond boy and slapped him.

"Don't you dare call him by name!" He screamed both panicked and angry.

Who was he to know name of their boss? Nobody besides police and gang members knew it.

His blood was boiling and he felt huge wave of energy washing over him. Rubik never knew he had it in him, but apparently danger worked well on him.

The threat of being found by police made adrenaline rush in his vains which affected him more than he wanted to admit.

That's why it took him a whike to hear Al's laugh.

"You think you will see the boss?" He looked over Ben as he was stupidest person on planet. He was shocked and looked even more baby like with his eyes wide opened.

He didn say anything until next question.

"What do you want Barbie boy?" Al asked with a sigh as he was talking to a kid.

"I want to see..." he stopped to look at Rubik. "Your boss"

Bigger man shook his head.

"We already know that." His voice became more harsh. "But what for?"

Ben tensed up and looked at his shoes. This was not a smart move considering he just saw how fast gun can be reached.

He took a deep breath.

"I want to join the gang." There was few seconds of silence until Rubik started giggling.

"You..?" His eyes were tearing up. That stupid blond boy thought that to join a gang you just come there and apply. "Have you brought your CV?" 

He couldn't stop hysterical laugh over how grotesque this situation looked.

What he didn't expect was what Al did. He told Ben to follow him to his room. 

Was he crazy? Taking just anybody from street. Some boy that got lost in their building and out of nowhere decided to join the gang. Someone who suspiciously knew their boss'es neme.

 

After one and a half hour they knew everything about Ben. They knew where and when was he born, who were his family members, where he lived, what schools did he attend, what he ate two days ago for dinner.

What they didn't know was who Ben was before he was Ben.

"So..its jerry that sent you.." Al said with his feet on table while Rubik was making notes on his computer.

"Why?" He asked a question the other gangster also wanted to kmow answer to. Jerry was suspicious, but he wasn't stupid. He knew not to trust just anybody. Why did he send this slender boy?

"He had his reasons." Blonde guy said with confidence. Did he really forget where he is? Rubik sent a short glance at Al's gun and at red hoodie which was by now stiff, probably sticking painfully to skin.

"We can have outlr reasons to kill you." A calm ansewer came right after, but he didn't seem to care. 'Brave or insane..?' He noted it without realisation.

When suddenly the door opened.

"Al my friend, why didn't you tell me we have a guest?" Chanyeol slowly walked into the room as both gangsters sat straight.

Rubik saw the blonde tense up looking at their boss, but more than scared he seemed nervous.

Tall man walked up to Ben and leaned in front of him.

Theie faces were 2 inches away and Rubik was sure they can feel each other's breaths. Tention in the air was being felt by both him and Al. Especially when boss put his hands or armrests never breaking eye contact.

"Who are you?" He asked, but the other guy seemed like he was in some kind of trance. Finally he menaged to answer. Surprisingly he was more confident than last time.

"Ben" Chanyeol smiled slowly moving away. Only part that didn't fit his facial expression was his eyes, that had dangerous, curious spark in them.

"So Ben..." he sat down comfortably to face blonde one. "Do you know who's identity you stole?"

Ben bit his lip and Rubik was looking back and forth amazed by tension between that two men.

He felt like he was intruding something private, not like he was recruiting new possible gang member.

"No." Was a short word following the question. Chanyeol only nodded, still focusing only on Ben's face. He seemed to examine every bit of it. From thick straight brows partly covered by his hair, his wide opened eyes, his straight nose to his plump lips. Rubik couldn't not think he looked a bit feminine. 

"Good." Boss said and stood up after what tension momentarily disappeared. "Find him and kill him."

 

A/N: first chapter! It might not contain a lot of chanbaek but that's just a beginning so get ready! I'm sorry for all mistakes that might appear as English isn't my native language, but feel free to point them out! I appreciate all constructive criticism as well as your comments and offers on what could happen next.

I hope you enjoyed that chapter and for your support.

Stay healthy 💜