The First Law

Newton's Laws of Motion: Baeksoo Style

"Every body continues to be in its state of rest or of uniform motion in a straight line unless compelled by some external force to act otherwise."

 

Kyungsoo had finished his bath and was drying his hair with a soft towel. The sunlight streamed through the windows giving the room a pleasant glow. Everything looked so tidy and clean  and cozy that Kyungsoo considered skipping classes. That was until a loud snore broke through his reverie. He narrowed his eyes at the source of the sound, his one and only roommate, laying sprawled on the bed, mouth wide open and hair sticking to his face. 

'Baekhyun, wake up,' started Kyungsoo, nudging the boy's shoulder. The boy didn't budge at all and Kyungsoo drew in a deep breath to control his franticness. This was going to take  a while...

Classes would start anytime soon and this hog was nowhere near dressed. Kyungsoo considered leaving him like that and setting off to the lecture theatre before he was late. But if he did that, then he would probably have to face the repercussions— an entire day of listening to obnoxious whining and having to make up for his betrayal.

Sometimes(?), Byun Baekhyun acted more like his girlfriend than his bestfriend.

The desperation on Kyungsoo's face grew more and more evident now. He wasn't exactly dressed himself and now he had to take care of this toddler as well. If he ran as fast as his legs could take him, then he might be able to reach the lecture hall just in time.

'BYUN BAEKHYUN! WAKEY WAKEY!!!' he yelled, his mouth practically kissing Baekhyun's ear.

Baekhyun emitted a loud, guttural sound and turned over, only to bring the blanket closer to him and cuddle up to himself a bit more. Kyungsoo bit on his tongue to stop himself from screaming out loud. Pulling at his hair, he wondered what he could do to wake Baekhyun up.

The next idea that flew through his head seemed crazy and he really didn't want the other students to think that they were lunatics. Not that they made a good impression anyway. Kyungsoo quickly caught a bucket of ice cold water and placed it near the bed on which Sleeping Beauty was currently resting. He then proceeded to take a huge pan from his cabinet— the same one he uses to make Baekhyun's favourite frittata— and stood by the side of the bed, pondering over the after-effects of what he was about to do. Sure, he'd have his head bitten off, chewed and spat out into mush by his bestie. But he was up for anything to salvage a bit of his lecture. Baekhyun was lying with his face on the pillow and his back turned upwards. Sending a final prayer to God, Kyungsoo aimed the broad end of the pan at Baekhyun's most sensitive region. And with lightning speed, he thwacked Baekhyun's bottom with the steel instrument. 

A blood-curdling scream cut through the air and the birds around their hall of residence flew away. In his sleepy stupor, Baekhyun mumbled gibberish, most probably trying to curse Kyungsoo, but before he could even finish his rant, Kyungsoo quickly threw the whole pail of icy water onto the poor boy... and an even louder, piercing shriek sounded through their dormitory. The walls reverberated with the sound and the ceiling light flickered due to the impact. Baekhyun garbled something incoherent as he got off his drenched bed and took off his shirt in haste. Wiping the water dripping from his face, he glared daggers at Kyungsoo, resembling a very angry puppy. 

'WHY THE ABSOLUTE BLOODY HELL DID YOU DO THAT FOR?!!' he bellowed, a million drops of water spraying from his body. 

Kyungsoo was quick to defend himself. 'Do you even know what time it is?! We're late for class again. And only because of you!!! I had to do this because you were sleeping so soundly!! Did you really have to watch all night long?!'

Baekhyun's eyes widened at once and he groaned in despair. He began pacing around their room, muttering something that went like, 'What do I do with you? What do I do with you? What do I...'

Kyungsoo just stood there, not knowing what happened to his friend. Maybe the smack was a bit too hard. Or the sudden cold probably chilled his senses.

'Baek...?' asked Kyungsoo tentatively.

As though triggered by Kyungsoo's voice, Baekhyun lunged at him and brought him forcefully onto the ground. 

'DO KYUNGSOO! DO YOU EVEN REALISE THAT TODAY IS A SUNDAY?!' he barked, pinning Kyungsoo's arms onto the floor. 

Just then, their dear friend Kim Junmyeon, who stayed in a room somewhere down the same corridor, barged in, yelling,

'Are you guys okay? We heard— Ohh....'

A gobsmacked Do Kyungsoo pinned under a wet, shirtless Byun Baekhyun was not an appropriate sight to greet anybody's eyes.

'This is so not what it looks like...' began Kyungsoo.

'Uhh... I'll just leave you then. Just don't let him try anything too extreme, okay, Soo?' said Junmyeon nervously, looking everywhere except at the both of them before leaving their room and shutting the door. 

A moment of silence later...

Kyungsoo convulsed in peals of laughter. Baekhyun got off of him and crossed his arms angrily. He grumbled,

'What are you laughing for? You ruined my beauty sleep and now Junmyeon thinks we're gay!'

'We are a bit gay, Baek...' commented Kyungsoo, 'Junmyeon knew that from the start.'

'Yeah, you're right about that. But I'm still grumpy about my morning disaster!'

'Awww, Baekkie! I'm sorry about that,' cooed Kyungsoo, pinching his friend's cheeks,'I completely forgot that it was a Sunday! You know I can be quite the nervous wreck when it comes to missing lectures...'

'A simple sorry won't suffice!'

'How about a whole day of nachos and Netflix?' suggested Kyungsoo, smirking at his now interested friend.

'With lots and lots of cheesy dip!' beamed Baekhyun, hugging his roommate tightly, his previous ill-temper soon forgotten.

 

'Let's watch Stranger Things now!' demanded Baekhyun, as he cheese off his lips.

The two of them were now bundled together under a blanket, watching Netflix on Kyungsoo's bed and munching on nachos. They had just finished a marathon of House of Cards and were now deciding on what to watch next.

'What about Scream Queens?'

'Nahhh! I want to watch Stranger Things. And considering that it was I who got wet and it is my mattress that is currently drying under our ceiling fan, I get to decide what to watch.'

'Of course, your Majesty...' muttered Kyungsoo, rolling his eyes.

'Listen here, you filthy peasant! You go get me some more nachos and fill up on the cheese dip. I'll keep the show ready.'

'But I'm comfy, Baek!!!'

'It's up to you to redeem yourself, you know.'

Groaning as he pulled the blanket off, Kyungsoo made his way to the table. He quickly dumped the nachos and filled a bowl with cheese dip. Jumping back, he wiggled himself back under the covers and they soon began watching the next series. Halfway through, Kyungsoo felt Baekhyun's head rest against his shoulder and a soft snore confirmed his doubts. It was funny to think that he fell asleep while watching the series that he himself chose.

Putting down the nachos and cheese, Kyungsoo took the laptop away from Baekhyun's grip and tried to place it away. But just as he was about to get up, he felt Baekhyun tug at his sleeve. Smiling at his snoozing friend, Kyungsoo placed the laptop on the floor instead and rested near Baekhyun. Instinctively, Baekhyun snuggled closer to Kyungsoo and let out a sigh of happiness. 

Truly(!), Byun Baekhyun acted more like his girlfriend than his bestfriend.