chapter

not all heroes wear capes

 

 

Doyeon POV

I coughed and woke up to a dark warehouse. I rolled my eyes at the clichéness of it all.

Not that I wasn't worried about my safety, but I hope Suhyun and Haein got back to the academy to get help.

We were following a lead when we were ambushed. I looked around and noticed a skylight; it was night time now.

Where did the bad guys go? Clank! Ah, perfect timing. Crash! Even better timing.

The skylight broke apart and something whizzed by me. That must be back up.

Just then, I felt another person speed by and untie my hands. Two speedsters?

Before I knew it, I was put into an academy van.

"Hey, Doyeon!" Somi? "Suhyun and Haein are back at the academy, it's just my team taking out the guys that ambushed you."

Her team? Somi grinned. My face was blank.

"Who's on your team? Why do you have two speedsters?" Somi chuckled.

"We don't." I grew confused. "We only have Chungha."

"Then who and or what was the other thing or someone?" Somi was having too much fun teasing an obviously frustrated Doyeon.

Just as she was about to reply, Pinky jumped into the van, asking the driver to get moving.

Bewildered, I asked about their other teammates. Pinky gathered her breath. "On their way back, the upside to having fast speed."

I was still curious about the other person who untied me but I am way too tired to deal with Somi's games.

We got back to the academy and my members gave me a hug. "Sorry we couldn't get you ourselves," Haein said frowning.

I just smiled and thanked them for sending help. As the only trio group in the academy, our group was at the most risk because of the lack of members.

Being a was partially my fault anyway, I couldn't deal with another person knowing my secret. Haein and Suhyun understood that.

When I got to my dorm, I instantly passed out on my bed. Immediately forgetting about the second so-called non-speedster.

 

Yoojung POV

"You almost did what now?!" Somi cackled.

"Relax. Pinky came before I even said anything."

"I did what now?" Pinky set her tray of food on the table and sat. I glared at Somi and threw a fry at her.

"She almost told Doyeon that I was there when I specifically told all of you guys not to." Pinky chuckled.

"What's the deal with her anyway? Why couldn't she power her way out like the rest of us would?" Pinky asked.

Just then Chungha came and sat next to me. "I heard she's just a late bloomer, all she can do right now is martial arts." I tilted my head, thinking about how I've never seen Doyeon use powers.

"So she's basically just a ninja for now?" They laughed. I didn't.

"Yoojung." I was shook out of my thoughts when Somi pointed behind me. I turn to see Doyeon coming our way. Oh god no. I pulled my hat further down, hoping she didn't recognize me.

"Hey, Somi." Her voice sent shivers down my spine." I just wanted to thank you and your team for rescuing me." I saw the others smiling and heard Chungha speak up.

"Anytime, girl. Let's just hope you don't get kidnapped again!" I heard Doyeon's melodic giggle.

"Can't promise you that!" She joked. "Bye guys, and thanks once again." And just like that, she was gone. I let out a sigh of relief. Chungha eyed me weirdly.

"Okay when was the last time you've spoken to her?"

"I can't believe she didn't even notice you." Pinky laughed. "Put invisibility down on your list of powers." I sighed.

"Suhyun already has that one! Wait..." Somi trailed off and whipped her head around looking for someone. I rolled my eyes.

"We haven't spoken in five years." Pinky and Chungha raised their eyebrows. "Can we not talk about this, please? I want to eat my fries in peace."

Pinky gave a small smile and Chungha pat me on the back. Somi went on babbling about Chaeyeon, much to Pinky's obvious discomfort. What was up with those two anyway?

I drowned them out and finished my lunch thinking about the one person I have had on my mind for as long as I could remember.

 

Doyeon POV

I should have known. She's cute for thinking I wouldn't have figured out that she was the one who saved me. After seeing her at their table and remembering her powers, everything fell into place. I've avoided her all this time and she goes and does this. She sure makes it hard to stay away from her.

"Up for a joint mission?" I heard Somi come up behind me in the lounge. She had a mischievous glint in her eyes. I raised my eyebrow.

"No thanks?" Somi frowned.

"Nayoung and Chaeyeon have something huge planned and needs two teams." I suddenly felt compelled to say yes. Oh no, fight it Doyeon.

"F-Fine." Damn it, Somi really lucked out with her mind control powers. Somi grinned and left. What did I agree to? Not only do I have to deal with Yoojung's team again, but I have to be careful with my powers. Or lack thereof. Whatever, I don't want to be revealed. Curse you, Somi!

I left the lounge to go sit out on the practice field. I didn't expect to find a team practicing so early in the day. And worse, Yoojung's team. I left as quickly as I got there but someone was quicker.

"Join us!" Chungha exclaimed. My eyes widened in surprise.

"Oh, that's fine. Don't want to disrupt your team dynamic." I internally groaned at my petty excuse.

"We know you don't have your powers yet. You can practice your martial arts with us! Please?" I eyed the field. Pinky was shooting ice balls in the air with her hands and Somi had her eyes locked on a resting Yoojung.

Weird.

Yoojung hasn't noticed me yet. That changed when Chungha zoomed me onto the field. I spun in shock. I saw Yoojung stand up and look uncomfortable. Remind me to avoid Chungha and her fast speed.

"Guys, I got Doyeon to come practice with us!" I refrained from scoffing. Yoojung's subtle glare at Chungha didn't go unnoticed though. I kept a straight face but my heart clenched. Should I be bold for a moment? I cleared my throat. Here goes nothing.

"Thanks, Yoojung, for saving me the other night." I saw her eyes go wide and she looked at her members accusingly. They all raised their hands in innocence. Who knew this was how our first conversation after five years was going to go.

"How'd you know?" I chuckled at her.

"You make me out to be clueless." I felt things slightly escalate after my reply but we were saved by a phone ringing.

"That was Chaeyeon. Our teams need to report to their office right now to receive our new assignment." Yoojung eyed me and I pretended not to notice or else I would have crumbled.

"Is Chaeyeon going to lead this mission?" I heard hesitation in Pinky's voice. Do they have some kind of rivalry? Fire versus ice?

"Yes. Let's go." And with that, Pinky stiffened and we headed inside.

 

Yoojung POV

This is going to be so awkward. How do I even talk to her? It's like she's a completely different person. Back then, I always thought Doyeon and I were meant to be soulmates. Crazy, right? It didn't even seem that she liked me now. I mean, she did leave me all those years ago with no explanation whatsoever. I wonder how she feels now...

"Okay, here's the overall plan." Chaeyeon cleared . My team and Doyeon's team were gathered in her office to receive our instructions. "Our sources say a group called 'Charlie's Devils' is going to bomb three buildings around the city."

I heard Suhyun chuckle and saw Doyeon whisper something in her ear, making them burst in giggles. Chaeyeon gave them a stern face, immediately shutting them up. Hooray.

"As I was saying," Chaeyeon continued. "Since they will be hitting three places, I've split us into groups."

Oh no, bad idea.

Not only did I stiffen, but so did Doyeon from the corner of my eye. Chaeyeon listed the groups and I prayed that I wouldn't be paired with Doyeon.

"Suhyun and Haein, you'll take in Somi."

"Booyah! Cool powers crew!" I saw Doyeon frown. I already have a bad feeling.

"Pinky," I saw said girl nervously looking up from her hands in expectation. "You are with me." I eyed their awkward interaction. Those two need to deal with whatever they got going on. Funny, I can't even take my own advice...

"Chungha and Yoojung will be with Doyeon." Welp.

Chaeyeon dismissed us to discuss our individual group plans, but I didn't miss the way she dragged Pinky out of her office. Doyeon awkwardly walked up to us and I already wanted it done and over with. Chungha frowned.

"I should leave you two to talk." My eyes widened, as did Doyeon's. My eyes begged her not to go. "Get it over with!" She whispered to me.

She left me no choice I guess. It was now or never, but I preferred the latter. She pushed me towards Doyeon as she left and my clumsy self just had to fall into Doyeon's arms.

 

Doyeon POV

Yoojung jumped out of my embrace as quick as she fell into it. My smile was forced. She started to stutter.

"I- uhh. Um.."

"It's okay, Yoojung." Man, I haven't said her name in years. "Wouldn't be the first time, you klutz." I saw Yoojung freeze. Shocking myself for even cracking a joke about how we first met in this kind of situation.

 

I always thought superhero school was some hoax but I guess the universe always throws me surprises. There I stood, at the entrance, looking like a deer in headlights. Basically a fool. Why was I even enrolled? A mysterious letter came personally delivered to me a couple weeks ago that threw me in for a loop. It was a calling; that they knew I held powers of some sort. Funny, because I myself wasn't even aware of my so called powers.

Just then, a stumbling girl came barrelling towards me, breaking my thoughts. I caught her before she could fall, but at the speed she was going at, my back crashed into some lockers.

"Are you alright?" I stared at this complete stranger in my arms. All I heard was a mumbled response. "What was that?"

The stranger looked up at me and we locked eyes. There must have been a delayed reaction because I felt the air knock out of me when I saw her wide eyes. It took the girl a total of three seconds to realize the situation.

"Oh my god. I am so sorry!" She was about to continue when I felt wind rush by us. Then another girl appeared. Okay, what the hell?

"Yoojung! I told you to slow down! Are you alright?" Yoojung. Cute name, how fitting. I shuddered at my cheesy thoughts. "I am so sorry." Yoojung's presumed friend turned to me. "Are you new here? I'm Chungha."

I stood there flabbergasted at the scene unraveling in front of me. Chungha must of sensed my utter confusion because she chuckled and gave me a warm smile. Then her eyes traveled to me and Yoojung's limbs entangled with each other. She raised an eyebrow. I felt Yoojung shoot off of me and I have never blushed so hard. I cleared my throat and offered my hand.

"Yes, I'm new here. I'm Doyeon."

 

We must have both thought back to that day because Chungha was back trying to snap us out of it. Yoojung looked semi distraught and I just put on a poker face.

"All clear?" Me and Yoojung made eye contact.

"All clear."