You're coming right?

IT HURTS

April 2012


"Why does everyone has a dream? Jisoo wants to be a lawyer, Bomi wants to be an architect, the class rep Minhyuk wants to be a doctor even the loud Jaehwan wants to be a comedian and I'm here without a dream. Heck, I can't even decide which blue pen I want to use let along what I want to be in the future." Jihyun silently thought to herself as her neck starts to hurt from propping her face sideways on the table halfway through study period. She lifts her head to strech her neck while wondering whether the chocolate she bought a week ago is still in her bag.

As she lifts her head, a loud thud followed with a very loud "Oww" follows. She rubs her head and turned. "Ouch. That hurts. Is your skull made out of concrete?". Youngjae rubs his chin furiously to lessen the pain.  "No, they're made of bones and what are you doing here in the first place?". Jihyun said in monotonous tone. "You left your lunch again on the bus. Here." Youngjae said while handing her lunch box. She took while mouthing a small thanks. She starts to open it with high hopes that's it's not the same lunch again. 

"Yes! Kimchi fried rice! My favourite." Youngjae said while flipping the chair across her table to face her and sat down happily. Jihyun sighed. Her mom's cooking is not bad but she's getting bored of having the same fried rice since the start of school. Little did she notice that Youngjae was already cutting around the yolk of her fried egg with a pair of chopsticks. "Don't you have your own lunch to eat?". Jihyun said while crossing her arms. 

"I do but you don't even eat egg yolks, I'm just eating it for you. You can have some of mine." Youngjae said while opening his lunchbox which was filled with 2 rolls of kimbap. Jihyun starts to look for her pair of chopsticks under the table. "Pencil case." he said with his mouth full from kimbap. Jihyun sighs again and opened her pencil case to take out her utensils from its case. 

"You're so forgetful. If we don't take the bus together, I bet you'll forget your way home." Youngjae said. "I'm not that forgetful."Jihyun said while she turned around look around the class. She swore she felt a burning stare on her since the past 5 minutes but her classmates were quick enough to look away from them. "Can't you eat in your own class?" she asked him. "I'm already here." Youngjae simply said while picking his food. 

"What's wrong with you today? You've been acting weirdly for the past week now that I think about it." Youngjae asked. "Nothing."she simply said as she prefer to keep her recent concern to herself. They finished their lunch with 5 minutes to spare. Youngjae stood up while closing his lunch box. 

"Hey. Do you want to go out on Sunday?" Youngjae asked without looking at her. Jihyun choked on her water. "What?" she said still choking. "Are you going to skip church again? I covered you last time and your parents couldn't stop asking me questions througout service. Are you going to play football again?" Jihyun asked while unknowingly taking the tissue that he was holding out. 

"After church. I want to get my sister a birthday present. I need your help like always." Youngjae said simply. Jihyun almost forgotten that it's his sister birthday soon. She was freaking out for no reason. "I don't know. I have to study for a test." Jihyun said. "You are forgetful but when it comes to studies, you don't even need to study. Please..." he said while making the most pleading face. 
 

The bell rang and Youngjae ran out of her classsroom without even waiting for a reply. "Young...". Jihyun called out later realising he was already out of sight. She heard the screech of sneakers outside her classroom. She looked up and Youngjae was there at the door. 

"You're coming right?" Youngjae asked, panting.