Land of Departure

Light and Darkness

Author's Notes: 

     I have been wanting to write a Kingdom Hearts FanFic for awhile.. So here it is! If you guys like it then I'll be more than happy to add more so please vote and leave a comment. This chapter is short so you guys could get a taste of what I was planning for the writing style and story, I'm open to constructive criticism!
I know the story I use is Kairi's grandmother's but since she's not going to be in this fanfic it would be more fitting for Aqua to tell it. 
Thank you for reading!!!
_____________________

     My brother, Atlas, and I lived in a small world called Land of Departure under the mentorship of master Eraqus and his two disciples Terra and Aqua. But unlike them, we arrived on the doorsteps of the castle when I was 1 and Atlas only being two years older than me, abandoned by our parents we assumed. 
     We started training with master Eraqus around four years later, he was the father figure in our lives. I'm sure his other disciples felt the same, even then we all knew the boundary line between father and master. He was powerful and wise, he trained us well even though my brother and I couldn't summon a keyblade. We used wooden keyblade look-alikes that Terra crafted for us. 
       Our training was difficult for our age but nothing we couldn't handle, we would practice different fighting techniques so we could learn how to manage by ourselves in the later years. But, Master did not just teach us physical strength he would teach us important lessons and magic too. The most important lesson being how history always has a chance at repeating itself and that is why we're here to stop it, to keep the balance. 
     His two other disciples would help us out as well, Terra would give us tips on offensive combat and Aqua would continue our lesson on magic when Master Eraqus had a meeting with the other Keyblade masters. Given the time we all spent together we all grew pretty close, inseparable. As long as Terra and Aqua were around you would see one or both of us trailing behind one of them. It was interesting, Atlas would excel in magic like the wonderful Mage that Aqua was and I would be outstanding in physical combat like Terra with all his power.
     Terra was like a big brother to me, I'm not sure how Atlas saw him but he was always tougher on him and I could never understand why. Atlas was an excellent fighter, there was just always that faint feeling of conflict between or within them both. Despite that and how powerful he was, he was always so kind to me and the others even when we sparred but I was just a little girl then. He was also the closest to the master, working so hard to impress him. 
     Terra was quite the ambitious dreamer, always telling me about how he was going to become a keyblade master and that Atlas and I were next in line once we got our own before he would tuck me in for bed. Occasionally there would be stories, He would tell me about his first year with master and Aqua, how difficult of an adjustment it was and most importantly the first day he ever used his Keyblade but the master of storytelling was Aqua.
     She was the one to tell me about all the different worlds, even when the master refused to elaborate every time I brought them up. He would say it was too dangerous to think about leaving this early in training so learning about them would be pointless and tempting. I wouldn't push the matter further with him but instead wait for bedtime so Aqua could tell me another story about the worlds, my favorite being how all the worlds came to be separated. 

     A long time ago, people lived in peace, bathed in the warmth of light. Then people began to fight over it. They became selfish and wanted the light all to themselves. Their greed turned into darkness. The darkness spread, swallowing the light and many people's hearts. It covered everything, and the world vanished. But small fragments of light survived... in the hearts of children. With these fragments of light, children rebuilt the lost world. It's the worlds we see today. But the true light sleeps deep within the darkness. That's why the worlds are still scattered, divided from each other. But someday, a door to the innermost darkness will open. And the true light will return. So listen, Torunn. Even in the deepest darkness, there will always be a light to guide you. Believe in the light, and the darkness will never defeat you. Your heart will shine with its power and push the darkness away.

     I loved Aqua's stories and she was an amazing teacher but connected with Atlas a lot more. He looked so much more empowered with her, like there was nothing anyone could throw at them that they could not handle. On his own, he was a lot more quiet, hardheaded despite his age at the time, but she understood him. Aqua made sure he worked to his full potential, yes he worked well with the master but when she was around he had a different effort to his training. I believe he latched onto her so much because he's the only one who remembers our mother, even with his vague memories of her he misses her projecting those feelings onto Aqua. 
     As for my brother and I, our relationship was as normal as it could have been in our situation. Did we fight? Of course, but over trivial matters like who's turn was it to return the story books to the castle library or who's toy was whose. 
     Our family was doing well, everyone was content with how things were, being a child I thought nothing would change that until we got a visit from another master and his disciple. The master was an old devious looking man with a strong sense of darkness that I felt inside my heart and his disciple, a young boy with lifeless eyes.