Final

Me! Not him!

Taekwoon and Jaehwan are same age friend. They grow up together; attending the schools, basically do everything and anything together for the past 17 years. On top of that, they are neighbor, which causing them to spend even more time together without them knowing. Everyday, both of them will go to school together, going home together, spend time at each other’s house, finishing their homework and even play video games together. Everyone around them are aware of their close relationship, to a point that there are even rumors about they are dating but two of them know that they are not even close to that.

Since young, Taekwoon is always the one who protects Jaehwan. He is taller and bigger in size in compare to the other. Jaehwan is shy and timid while he is cold and intimidating. Whenever Jaehwan is being bullied, he will protect him, he will comfort him. Jaehwan is born to be a talker, talk whenever and wherever while he is born to be a listener, he listened to Jaehwan’s talks, complains, anything and everything without complain. Both of them complete the each other so much yet their statuses remain the same all over the years.

Today, as usual, both of them go to school together. Jaehwan is clinging onto Taekwoon while Taekwoon is listening to his best friend’s chatter silently, just nods here and there, showing that he is actually paying attention and listening.

“Taekwoonie, it seems that we are early today” Jaehwan says as they enter the classroom. Including them, only around 1/3 of the class are already here. Taekwoon nods silently and walks over to his seat, pulling out the chair beside him as well. “Thank you” Jaehwan says softly and sits beside his friends. They are also seatmate in the class.

Jaehwan finally stops talking and turns to his side to look at the field, he hums as he sees the students are running and playing around.

“Taekwoonie, are you having football practice later?” Jaehwan asks but does not get any response after waiting a while. He pouts and turns around, finds that Taekwoon is already asleep, buries his face in his arms. Jaehwan smiles and help the other to fix the jacket then pats his friend’s head lightly. It is the only time that Jaehwan can pat or touch Taekwoon without getting glare or stare from the other.

“Jaehwanie, Taekwoonie. Both of you are early today” their friend, Sanghyuk says as he and Hongbin sits in front of them.

Jaehwan grins “Because I didn’t miss the alarm today and Taekwoon is always punctual” he says.

15 minutes later, they stop chatting as the teacher enters the classroom. Jaehwan wakes his friend up by shaking the other lightly. “Taekwoonie, time to wake up” Jaehwan says softly.

Taekwoon wakes up and glares, but his eyes soften almost immediately as he finds that it is Jaehwan who wakes him up. He smiles lightly and mutters a soft “thank you”. Throughout the class, the best friends only focus on the lectures with only small conversation in between which only involve school work, syllabus and assignments.

Soon, its break time and Jaehwan slumps on his desk.

“The math class is a disaster” Jaehwan whines and pouts.

“Because you are noob in math” Hongbin says and Sanghyuk laughs along.

“Hey!” Jaehwan protests and pouts even more.

“I will help you with the revision” Taekwoon says and pats Jaehwan’s face softly. The pouty face of Jaehwan finally changes into a smiley face.

“You are the best” Jaehwan says. Taekwoon blushes slightly and avoid the eye contact, continue to keep his stuff in his drawer bag.

“Are you two joining us for lunch?” Sanghyuk asks. Jaehwan and Taekwoon usually don’t join them for lunch as they always bring their lunchbox and prefer to eat quietly at the garden rather than at the crowded cafeteria. Although Sanghyuk and Hongbin agree with their option, but they don’t bring own lunch box like the other.

Jaehwan turns and looks at Taekwoon, asking his opinion silently. Jaehwan always asks for Taekwoon’s opinion before making decision, he knows that the other does not like being forced to do something that he does not want to.

Taekwoon sighs for a second and says softly “I’m sorry but I prefer to eat at the garden”

“Sorry guys” Jaehwan says with a apologetic smile.

“Its okay. Its true that the garden is much better than the super crowded cafeteria” Hongbin says and all of them laugh.

“See you guys later” Sanghyuk says and leaves the classroom with Hongbin.

“Lets go” Taekwoon says and picks up both his and Jaehwan’s lunchboxes. Jaehwan nods and follows his best friend.

They sit at their favourite bench. It is located under the shade of the tree, minimal but sufficient sunlight to make them comfortable but not too hot.

“Auntie always makes nice food. No wonder you grow up so well” Jaehwan says as he starts eating. The lunchbox is prepared by Taekwoon’s mother for both of them. Since Jaehwan’s mother is working while Taekwoon’s mother is a housewife, Taekwoon’s mother has offered to prepare lunchbox for Jaehwan, saying that it does not matter as she is going to prepare for Taekwoon anyway.

“Your mom will be upset” Taekwoon says softly but continue eating.

“She knows that I love her” Jaehwan replies, not even mind about that. Not only them, even their parents are each other’s best friends, sometimes they feel like they are a big family rather than two families. Taekwoon nods, knowing that it is the truth.

“Ahhh. I’m full. Do you want to finish the food for me?” Jaehwan says and shows the other his lunch box which still has some side dishes. Taekwoon nods and takes over the lunchbox. It has been a habit for both of them. Taekwoon is the big eater between them while Jaehwan eats much lesser than him. Thus, it is natural that he often finishes the food that Jaehwan left.

“Oh ya. I wanted to ask you that whether you have extra football practice later but you fell asleep just now” Jaehwan says and pouts.

Taekwoon chuckles and ruffles the other’s hair, “there is no practice. So we will go home right after class together, okay?” he asks.

Jaehwan beams and giggles, “okay!”. Whenever Taekwoon has football practice, he will stay at the library to study or finish up homework while waiting then they will go home together. It is the same when Jaehwan has extra art class, Taekwoon always waits for him as well. Both of them are used to it and don’t find the need to change this routine.

“Let’s go back to class.” Taekwoon says and stands up in which Jaehwan only nods with a smile.

“Another 2 hours of class before going home. Life ” Sanghyuk complains as he sits down, the others laugh.

“At least tomorrow is Saturday. We can stay out of the school for two days” Hongbin says and he nods.

“I swear I will cry to no end if we have to go school throughout the week” Sanghyuk says and earn laughter from all of them, even Taekwoon.

2 hours pass relatively fast than they expected. The teacher leaves the classroom as soon as the bell rings while the students cheer in happiness.

Four of them are chatting while packing their books into their bags, not wanting to leave anything behind, especially their homework which going to be submitted on Monday.

“Jaehwan ah” a deep voice comes behind them, causing them to turn around to look at the owner.

“Wonshik?” Jaehwan is confused now and staring at the other.

Wonshik smiles shyly in return and asks “Are you free tomorrow? There is a musical at the town tomorrow and I heard that you like musical a lot. Do you want to go with me? I have free tickets”.

Jaehwan suddenly nervous and don’t know what to do. He turns and looks at Taekwoon, wanting to see his best friend’s reaction. Whenever there is someone who confesses or asks him out, Taekwoon is always quick to reject the someone for him, resulting in not really much people dare to ask him out anymore and Taekwoon always glares at the others with cold eyes.

Jaehwan’s doe eyes flash in disappointment and sadness when Taekwoon remains silent and stares at his book instead. Why isn’t Taekwoon doing anything? Jaehwan thinks but he feels like maybe its time for him to move on instead.

“Okay. Sure. It has been a long time since I last watched a musical as well” Jaehwan replies with a soft smile.

Wonshik smiles brightly and widely as the reply and says “Thank you! I will pick you up tomorrow, okay?”

Jaehwan nods and Wonshik leaves but not before he pats Jaehwan’s head lightly.

Hongbin and Sanghyuk who witness the whole situation can’t help but sigh. It is obvious that Taekwoon is jealous and Jaehwan is waiting the other to take action. When Wonshik is asking Jaehwan out, Taekwoon’s eyes flash with anger and jealously, both hands are in tight fists. When Taekwoon stays silent throughout the situation, Jaehwan is obviously upset and disappointed.

“Lets go home” Taekwoon finally speaks up after a while.

Unlike the other days, the walk back home is unusually quiet. Jaehwan does not cling onto the other like other days, Taekwoon’s face is even colder and more expressionless compares to other days.

Soon, both of them reach Taekwoon’s house. Jaehwan immediately greets Taekwoon’s mother and thanks her for the delicious lunch box. However, the adult can sense the awkward atmosphere between the two best friends but decides to keep silent as she should let them to solve the problem themselves.

Taekwoon takes out his homework and puts them on his desk, pulling another chair silently for Jaehwan. The atmosphere is as awkward as it can be but both of them remain silent, working on their homework wordlessly.

“Are you sure you want to go out with Wonshik?” Taekwoon asks, after both of them finished their homework.

Jaehwan looks up and puts away his homework. “Why? You heard me when I promised him. Didn’t you?” Jaehwan asks, he can’t help but his voice sounds sour.

“I heard. I just want to confirm it” Taekwoon says calmly.

“You didn’t say anything earlier so I thought you are okay with. When there are people who ask me out, you reject them before me. Now you didn’t reject Wonshik for me even when I promised him, and you are upset with it? What’s wrong with you?!” Jaehwan bursts out in anger. Taekwoon is acting really weird today and he does not know why.

Taekwoon remains silent and not answering the question. Jaehwan rolls his eyes and picks up his bag.

“If you are going to be like this, I’m going home. Its no point for us to be like this” Jaehwan says. He sighs again when Taekwoon still remains silent. He then leaves the house with disappointment and back to his own house which is just located beside.

Jaehwan throws his bag mindlessly onto the floor and lies on his bed. As he thinks about the weird action of Taekwoon, he feels tired and eventually falls asleep.

The next day coms relatively fast. Jaehwan sighs and decides to spend his time by drawing and sketching. He looks up at the clock, finds that its already 5 o’clock. He quickly goes to take a shower and prepare himself.

One hour later, someone presses the doorbell and his mother helps him to open the door.

“Good evening. I’m here to pick up Jaehwan. We are going to the town to watch the musical” Wonshik greets and smiles.

Jaehwan’s mother only nods and feels confused. It is the first time Jaehwan goes out with someone that is not Taekwoon and this makes her feels that something goes wrong. However, she smiles at Wonshik and calls for Jaehwan.

“Hi” Jaehwan greets Wonshik as he reaches the door.

“Sweetie. I thought you are going out with Taekwoon” his mother says.

Jaehwan sighs softly and fakes a smile “I think its time for me to make more friends other than Taekwoon?” Jaehwan says and leaves with Wonshik.

His mother sighs, “I wish that you will not regret your decision, my son” she says and closes the door.

“The musical was great. Thanks for bringing me here” Jaehwan says after watching the musical. He is now at the café nearby with Wonshik.

“I’m glad that you love it. I have to thank Taekwoon for it” Wonshik says and Jaehwan perks up at the mention of his best friend.

“Taekwoon?” Jaehwan asks in confusion.

“I asked for his help and he told me that you love musical. He even recommends the musical!” Wonshik says happily, not noticing the dull look on Jaehwan’s face.

“Really?” Jaehwan asks to reconfirm it and Wonshik nods with a smile. So it is a one-sided love, Taekwoon only sees me as his best friend. I should have moved on, not waiting for him to return my love like a fool. Jaehwan thinks and sighs.

“Are you okay?” Wonshik asks in worry as he sees Jaehwan frowns and not touching his food.

“huh? Yea.. it’s just that the food is a bit spicy for me” Jaehwan makes up a reason.

“You can eat mine. My food is not spicy at all” Wonshik offers and Jaehwan accepts it with a smile. He has to play along with his own lie.

After the dinner, Wonshik sends Jaehwan home.

“Jaehwan?” Wonshik calls as they reach Jaehwan’s house.

“Yea?” Jaehwan asks.

“Hmm.. I like you.. I like you more than a friend. Do you want to be my boyfriend?” Wonshik asks shyly and looks at Jaehwan.

Jaehwan looks down at his own feet. As much as he wants to move on, he can’t bring himself to lie to Wonshik.

“I’m sorry. I.. I only see you as a friend.. Can we be friend instead?” Jaehwan says timidly.

“Ah..” Wonshik says in disappointment, “Sure.. I would like us to be friend at least” Wonshik adds with a forced smile.

“I’m really sorry.” Jaehwan apologizes again.

“Don’t be. Can I hug you at least?” Wonshik asks and Jaehwan nods.

Wonshik walks forward to hug Jaehwan. Jaehwan returns the hug, being thankful for Wonshik’s consideration. As much as he wants to forget about Taekwoon, Wonshik’s hug only reminds him that Taekwoon’s hug is more much protective and comfortable for him.

Wonshik then leaves with a smile. Jaehwan smiles as he sends him off.

Jaehwan sighs and enters his house, not knowing that Taekwoon actually witnessed everything through his window.

Taekwoon pulls up the curtain. He sighs and lies on his bed. Everything is over. Jaehwan is with him. Taekwoon thinks and falls asleep.

The Sunday passes without much events. Taekwoon and Jaehwan do not meet up like usual, they even do not text or call each other.

Just like that, time passes and Monday comes.

Both the best friends walk to school together in silent. It is obvious that the awkward is lingering around them yet they are trying their best to ignore the awkwardness.

“Jaehwannie~ did your date with Wonshik go well?” Sanghyuk asks as they enter the classroom.

Hongbin also joins in the conversation with a teasing smile. Yet, Taekwoon remains his poker face and plays with his phone.

Jaehwan glances at his best friend and sighs.

“Wonshik is really sweet. We went to watch the musical and he brought to a cozy café nearby then he sent me home. We talked and had fun” Jaehwan says and Hongbin sequels while Sanghyuk is observing the unreadable expression on Taekwoon’s face.

“I knew it! Wonshik is so sweet towards his sister! It’s not surprise to know he will be a sweet boyfriend as well” Hongbin says and Taekwoon who is playing games with his phone unconsciously abusing his touch screen phone with harsh finger movements.

“So you are with him now?” Hongbin asks again, obviously does not get the signal from Sanghyuk who is silently asking him to stop this topic.

“He confessed to me..” Jaehwan says but Taekwoon soon interrupts his sentence “You accepted him didn’t you? You two even hug before you enter the house” Taekwoon says harshly.

Jaehwan turns to his side and looks at Taekwoon. He does not know that Taekwoon is actually watching him through the window.

“So what? We only hug. We didn’t kiss. What’s wrong with you seriously?! When you rejected those people for me, I didn’t get to say anything. And now, you didn’t reject Wonshik, even helped him, told him that I like musical and recommended him the one that I like. I thought you approved him. But you are acting mad now. What happened?!” Jaehwan replies him with a much harsher tone than he intends to. He is really upset with Taekwoon now, not only Taekwoon is acting weird, the other even being angry without any obvious reason.

Taekwoon only holds his phone even tighter in his grasp. Jaehwan sighs and stands up from his seat “I have enough of this. I will go out for a while and come back when its class time”

Sanghyuk and Hongbin sighs while Taekwoon only plays with his phone again. Hongbin wants to say something but Taekwoon’s death glare has silent him before he able to say anything.

Jaehwan comes back few minutes before the class starts. However, instead going to his own seat, he walks to Hongbin and asks to swap seat for the day. Hongbin agrees wordlessly as he afraid that the situation will be even more awkward then before. It is the first time in both Taekwoon’s and Jaehwan’s life that they are not sitting beside each other during class.

Throughout the day, Jaehwan and Taekwoon remain silent for the whole time. They don’t talk, they even don’t have lunch together. Jaehwan joins Hongbin and Sanghyuk at the cafeteria while Taekwoon eats alone at the garden.

When they are going home, they don’t walk beside each other. Jaehwan is walking much faster than usual and in front of Taekwoon. All Jaehwan wants is to quickly go home and buries himself on his bed.

Taekwoon is playing the piano while humming, trying to release his anger and upset. He sighs as he thinks back on what he did past few days. He has been treating Jaehwan so harsh due to his jealousy and selfishness.

“Taekwoon ah, your friends are here for you” his mother says and he stops playing the piano and walks to the door.

Much to his surprise, he finds that Hongbin and Sanghyuk are standing in front of him.

“What you guys want?” Taekwoon says impatiently and harshly.

“We are here to fix yours and Jaehwan’s friendship” Sanghyuk says and Taekwoon immediately glares at them.

“It’s none of your business” Taekwoon replies.

“Are you willing to let go of the friendship?” Hongbin says calmly and that question alone enough for Taekwoon to open the door and lets them in.

Taekwoon lets them enter his room to talk. He does not want his mother to overhear their conversation.

“We know that you love Jaehwan” Sanghyuk starts and Taekwoon looks up with shock but immediately turns into poker face a second later.

“Don’t deny it. We won’t buy it” Hongbin adds and Taekwoon only glares at them again.

“So what?” Taekwoon asks.

“We have talked to Wonshik. He is not with Jaehwan” Hongbin says. Taekwoon perks up at the statement and sighs in relief.

“Your love for Jaehwan is not unrequited. It is obvious that Jaehwan likes you too. Don’t waste time sulking here. Go talk to Jaehwan. Fix everything before its too late” Sanghyuk says.

Taekwoon let his brain to process everything and when everything finally clicks. He burst out of his room and leaves his house, running over to Jaehwan’s house in which only the next door.

He presses the doorbell impatiently, physically abusing the doorbell.

Jaehwan who hears someone is abusing his doorbell, he rushes to the door and opens it.

“Taekwoon?” Jaehwan is confused.

“Lets talk” Taekwoon says and pulls Jaehwan into the living room.

“What you want to talk about?” Jaehwan asks in annoyance. Taekwoon is really weird, he is angry, grumpy and ignored him when in school but now he comes to talk to him.

“I know you are not with Wonshik. And you are not going to be with him” Taekwoon says, staring at Jaehwan intently.

“It’s Wonshik again? Don’t you get tired of it?” Jaehwan says with frustration.

“That’s not the main point here. I’m telling you that you are not allowed to be with Wonshik and I will not approved it!” Taekwoon replies with a much louder tone than usual.

“What’s the problem now?”

“Why?” Jaehwan asks, all he wants now is to be alone, he does not want to argue with Taekwoon again.

“Because I want you to fall in love with me. Not him!” Taekwoon yells in frustration and his eyes widen at his sudden confession.

“Taekwoon?” Jaehwan asks.

Taekwoon takes a deep breath, since his secret is burst now, its no point to hide anyway.

“I said I love you. I have loved you since young and I love you even more now. I’m jealous of Wonshik. I don’t want you to fall in love with him. I thought letting you go will give me a reason to move on but it makes me burst with jealousy. I want you for myself, I want to be your boyfriend, I want to hold your hand and doing things like all the other couples out there” Taekwoon confesses.

Taekwoon is shock when Jaehwan hugs him tightly, buries his face in his chest.

“Jaehwan?” Taekwoon asks in confusion, and returns the hug awkwardly, it is a natural thing for him to do, returning every hug that Jaehwan gives.

“You idiot!! I thought my love for you was unrequited! You have rejected everyone but suddenly you helped Wonshik. I thought you are pushing me away. I love you so much that it hurts me so much when you helped Wonshik.” Jaehwan confesses and cries, letting his tears flow freely and soaks Taekwoon’s shirt.

Taekwoon pulls away from the hug and wipes away Jaehwan’s tears, “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry Jaehwan. I’m so sorry for being so clueless” Taekwoon apologizes.

After few minutes, Jaehwan finally calms down and stops crying.

Taekwoon smiles softly and caresses his best friend’s face, “Will you be my boyfriend?” Taekwoon asks sweetly.

“Idiot! I have been waiting for this question since forever. Of cause I will, I love you” Jaehwan says and hits the other’s chest lightly.

“I love you too. My Jaehwanie” Taekwoon says and leans down to peck his now boyfriend’s lips.


Its a one-shot. Not chaptered story. 

I hope that you all like it. Enjoy reading :D