Birds

Little Things

Tiffany and I; we were exploring again with her bicycle. A fence with the land full of grass greeted us. We decided to stop over and have a rest there. I got down from the bicycle and quickly went over the fence without waiting for her who’s still trying to park her vehicle against it.

 

I closed my eyes and opened my arms wide, trying to appreciate the incoming air in the piece of green. Soon after, I felt another presence joining in.

 

“This is so refreshing!” She exclaimed.

 

I nodded eagerly and turned to her. Her hands touched mine and her eyesmile indicated that she must had other thoughts in her mind. I was proven right when she spoke up, “Why don’t we just stay here?”

 

It wasn’t a question. Before I could even gave her an answer, she went down and put her back onto the grass gently. I looked down at her grinning face as she held her arms out, trying to pull me down together with her. I hesitated a while before pulling out a jacket from my bag and placed it on the grass.

 

“Don’t,” Tiffany took it away before I could even lay onto it.

 

“Be like me. Feel the softness of the nature.”

 

I groaned as I stared back and forth between grass and the girl, “But it’s dirty.”

 

“Then, let’s get dirty together!” She pulled me down the moment she finished her sentence.

 

I landed on the grass hard and was immediately disgusted by the feeling of the moist little green leaves on my back. I struggled to get up but was refrained from doing so when she pinned me down before sending a whisper into my ears, “Just relax.”

 

Reluctantly, I stayed in my position as I watched her lay beside me.

 

A group of birds flew past with a loud chirping noise which teared my attention away from the girl. Following my sights to the flying animals, I mumbled in a low tone, “I wish I can be like them.”

 

“Why?”

 

“They seem to be so carefree and flying around everywhere without a destination.” I stared hard at the blue sky and wondered how it would be like to be in the air. It must be wonderful.

 

“But you can’t,” I looked over to the other girl with a sad smile.

 

I know the reason behind her words but somehow, I could still feel the sinking of my heart whenever it was mentioned, “You worry too much.”

 

And somehow, I remembered that just by wanting something is never enough.