Sunset

Little Things

I held my arms around Tiffany’s waist tightly as the bicycle suddenly jerked. I was so afraid that I would just fall down and injure my legs. However, I felt warmth on my hands as she turned around and gave me a smile of assurance. I wished that she would just focus straight on the path ahead.

 

“Oh my god!” Her sudden exclamation shocked me as she braked hard.

 

My body lunged forward and my face hit her back, which I believe is hard enough to create a dent. However, I was left dumbfounded when she pressed onto the stopper and get off the seat before sprinting across the bridge.

 

“Yah! Tiffany!” I shouted as I regained my composure.

 

I looked up at the direction she’s heading and realised the culprit behind her reason for abandoning me. Immediately, I got off the bicycle and followed hastily behind her, “Wait for me!”

 

“Good things don’t wait!”

 

I gathered all my energy and dashed forward as fast as my legs could carry me. Half way through, my legs had failed me as I strolled towards the end while panting really hard. I couldn’t recall the last time I had to do this.

 

“This is the result of not exercising often!” She mocked.

 

Leaning against the pole, I watched carefully as she took out her phone and snapped a photo of it.

 

“Don’t you think it’s beautiful?” She was probably feeling bizarre by my lack of enthusiasm.

 

Evening signified the transition of day to night; from brightness to darkness. The process was even amazing with the sky lit up with the golden arrays emitted by the light source. With visible and fluffy white clouds surrounding it, the view was magnificent. Of course, it was beautiful.

 

However, another question lingered in my mind.

 

“What’s the difference between a sunset and a sunrise? Why does it seems like people actually prefers the former?” I grinned to myself in victory as she turned around and redirected her attention back to me. The question must have caught her off guard as she pondered hard.

 

“Hmm,” she pouted. “I have no idea but I am definitely included in those people who prefers sunset.”

 

“But why?”

 

“Don’t you feel pleasant, when you witness its disappearance knowing that it will still rise again tomorrow?” I smile unknowingly and that evening, I watch the sun go down with a fresh new set of thoughts and feelings.