Cookies

Little Things

It was Sunday, supposedly a relaxing and chilling afternoon but I guessed not.

 

Tiffany came over to my house abruptly with a bag of groceries; not like she had informed me beforehand every time. It never happened. I should have felt surprised by the sudden visit but I was more surprised when I noticed a gauze pad on the side of her forehead.

 

“What happened?” I wanted to touch it but I refrained myself from doing so. It would be really painful.

 

“Ah,” she gasped at the realization. “I fell and knocked my head onto the wardrobe but I’m fine. It’s just a little graze.”

 

“Be more careful next time.” I was worried and I couldn’t tear my eyes off that wound.

 

“Alright,” my attention was diverted when she hastily grabbed my arms and pulled me into the kitchen. “My purpose of coming over here isn’t for you to stare at my wound all day. I am here to bake with you!”

 

“Are you kidding me? What for?”

 

“Christmas is coming; I want to bake some cookies for the children in the orphanage. Wouldn’t it be nice to receive gifts during the festival?” She pouted.

 

“Sure it is,” I pondered for a moment. “But I don’t know how to bake. Do you?”

 

“Of course, I learnt it in school.”

 

“Really?” I grinned in excitement as I followed Tiffany while she took out the ingredients she had bought.

 

From melting the butter to mixing the ingredients, to molding them into shapes and finally heating in the oven; I learnt the steps pretty fast. As the tray of finished products is taken out, I leaned in closer at the marvelous smell.

 

“Smells great!”

 

“Anything is nice as long as it is made with efforts,” Tiffany said as she handed me the icing bottles.

 

“We just need a little touch up and we’re done.”

 

I watched as she squeezed the icing out of the bottle and created different expressions onto each of the cookies. Picking up the one with a smile, a tug is formed at the corner of my lips as I stared at her. Blushes crept up onto my face.

 

“Happiness is when I’m with you.”