◊ Xiumin ◊

Confession one-shots: EXO

~ Dedicated to my friend Kim Sooyoung.

My athlete

---◊◊◊---

It’s a sunny day.

…great, my eyes are going to turn Asian today.

I had tried to evacuate to the dance studio, but then Seulgi dragged me to the bench while Yuri watched laughing.

Great person you are, Yuri.

“Sooyoung, did you finish your geography homework yet?” Seulgi asks me.

“Don’t even mention geography.” I reply, making a disgusted face. “I have enough of it just being in the classroom.”

“That’s why you don’t take geography and take history instead.” Yuri suggests smirking.

“History’s even more disgusting, Yuri.” Yuri shrugs at my reply. “If that’s what you think.”

Seulgi turns on her computer and shakes my arm. “BTS's film came out and I didn’t see it yet! Watch with me!” Seulgi’s eyes are shining with plead.

“I still don’t get what’s so good about BTS.” Yuri says, shrugging. “I mean, I respect your dedication to them, but still.”

“It’s what you dedicate to when you don’t have a boyfriend.” I reply, and Yuri snorts. “Don’t tell me you and Minseok aren’t dating. When you guys are together, I literally see puppy love pooling out of your and his eyes.”

“Well don’t tell me you and Chanyeol aren’t dating.” I remark back, and Yuri immediately says, “Shut up.” and I can see her cheeks reddening. Yuri had liked Chanyeol for a long time, and after waiting painfully for 2 years, they were finally becoming really close friends.

“No.” Seulgi butts in, and pokes out her tongue. “Unlike all of you, I have a boyfriend.”

“Who’s literally invisible because of his height?” Yuri laughs at her own joke, and Seulgi and I stare at her. “What are we then? Dwarves?”

“Who’s calling Soo a dwarf?” A familiar voice speaks, and I turn around to see Minseok smiling at me.

“Hey Soo~”

“Hi hi~” Minseok sits casually beside me and pats my head gently. Hopefully he can’t hear my rapid heartbeat.

“She called herself a dwarf because I called Kyungsoo short- no no no Kyungsoo you’re tall okay STOP WITH THAT FACE!” Yuri shrieks as Kyungsoo pops up with his evil smile that seems to be made specifically from hell. “YAH LEE SEULGI CONTROL YOUR BOYFRIEND!” Yuri shrieks and shuffles away from Kyungsoo, and reaches the end of the bench and she trips and falls-

-and she gets caught by a even taller giant.

“O-Oh hi Yeollie!” “Hey Ri~ I guess I came at the right timing?” "Definitey." Chanyeol grinns at all of us. "Hi Minseok, Kyungsoo, Seulgi and Sooyoung!" I nod back in reply as he sits down next to Yuri, who is still trying to gather herself from the near-fall. 

"Our female and male squad both gathered!" Seulgi says happily. Kyungsoo looks at his cute girlfriend fondly.

"I can literally see hearts coming out of Kyungsoo's eyes. it's making me sick." Yuri comments before I can.

"Second that." I agree. "Third that." Minseok says grinning. "Fourth that." Chanyeol says as well, smiling. "But Yuri, what if that was me?" Yuri blinks. "What did you say?" Chanyeol grins mysteriously. "Nothing, Ri." We all know Yuri's hearing ability isn't the best. Chanyeol often drops hints that he likes Yuri as well, but Yuri hears none of them.

At least they'd end up having a happy ending soon. 

I didn't see mine coming at all.

"You guys had lunch yet?" Yuri asks, and the boys shake their head. "Not yet, we were going to go get it then go play basketball." Chanyeol explains, and Yuri's eyes shine with the mention of 'basketball'. She then turns to me. "Can we pleaseee go and play basketball Sooyoung?" Yuri makes puppy eyes for me, which is rare as she doesn't like to do aegyo, opposite of Seulgi who is born with aegyo in her blood. Just at the corner of my sight I can see Chanyeol staring at her fondly. They were literally made for each other.

"Yeah, let's go." Yuri fistpumps in the air victoriously as she hears my agreement and grabs her bag. "Race you to the basketball court, Chanyeol!" Yuri starts running like a comical ninja to the sports dome and Chanyeol laughs and races her. Seulgi and Kyungsoo go a little slower, making small talk while trying not to lose sight of Yuri and Chanyeol. I turn to follow them, but Minseok taps my shoulders.

"Hey, can you go with me somewhere, Soo?" "Sure Minseok." Minseok smiles and leads me to the big school leader/sports board in the reception, and nods towards it shyly. "I wanted you to see it first."

I scan through the names of the named athletes of the year until I spot Minseok's name under Year 10 2014 Athlete of the Year. I squeal and hug him. "You got it! Congratulations! It was what you really wanted!"

"Yeah, it was. It gives me a little confidence too." Minseok smiles shyly and rubs the nape of his neck, and I can't help but smile at his cuteness. "I'm glad you're happy for me."

How can I not be. "Of course I am!"

Minseok smiles and tussles my hair. "Come on, let's go back to the others." Trying to stop my rapid heartbeat by breathing slowly, I follow Minseok to the sports dome. Minseok opens the door, and I expected to see Chanyeol and Yuri playing while Seulgi and Kyungsoo talked on the bench, but instead I see Yuri frozen up on the spot looking at Seulgi who looks terrified. Chanyeol, a split second later, moves to covers her ears and Kyungsoo looks confused.

"I-I didn't mean to I-I'm sorry-" Seulgi stammers at Yuri who still looks at her unblinkingly with a poker face. Seulgi looks away and sees me. "Sooyoung help! I just asked what they were going to do on Valentine's Day-"

And with the mention of that day, I freeze up too. Yuri and I, though Seulgi doesn't know, have painful memories of that day. I only blink when Minseok taps my shoulder worriedly. "Hey Soo, you alright?" "Huh?" I'm used to being down the memory lane, so I can recover from it faster. "Yeah, yeah, I'm okay." I heave a breath, and Minseok takes my hand and squeezes it lightly. "It's okay, it's the past. Yuri told me about it..." Well, why am I not surprised. "Let's not think about it, okay?" I nod, and Minseok smiles. "Good girl."

Worried about Yuri, I look to her, and I see Chanyeol speaking to her softly focusing his eyes on hers, and I see Yuri's eyes slowly come back into focus as Chanyeol pulls her out of her trip down the memory lane. "Hey, it's okay." Chanyeol pulls her into a hug and Yuri slowly hugs back. "You're fine, I'm here."

Seulgi runs to Yuri. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to-" and she stops as she sees Yuri smile. "Seulgi, it's okay. I'm sorry for making you worry." Yuri pats her head. "Don't worry, I'm okay." Yuri turns to Chanyeol. "Thanks, Yeollie." Yuri says gratefully, and Chanyeol smiles and says, "Always happy to be of service." making Yuri laugh. "Can we still play basketball?" Chanyeol grins. "You only had to ask." Yuri skips to a basketball that's rolling around, and she brings it back, and immediately charges for the net and Chanyeol jogs to her and blocks her with his tall height, and Yuri whines. "Why are you so tall?" Chanyeol chuckles. "This is the only time you ever complain about my height." "I don't like being in a disadvantage." Yuri sticks out her tongue and ducks down to avoid Chanyeol's arm and dribbles up to score in a lay-up before Chanyeol could react.

"Soo!" I turn my head around to see Minseok on a bench, a little away from Seulgi and Kyungsoo. He pats the space next to him on the bench. "Let's watch." I nod in reply and sit next to him.

"Sooyoung?" I turn my head to see Minseok looking at me shyly. "Could you come to my soccer tournament afterschool next week tuesday?"

"I'll go!" Seulgi butts in excitedly. "I have to cheer my brother Joongi anyways. I'll bring Kyungsoo along!" Kyungsoo groans. Kyungsoo doesn't like to watch or play sports, but he couldn't refuse any of Seulgi's requests. It's cute.

"Hey Yuri, let's go watch Minseok play soccer!" "It's on." Chanyeol and Yuri highfive. "Bringing snacks?" Yuri asks, and Chanyeol automatically replies, "Nachos with soda." Yuri and Chanyeol highfive again, laughing. They were literally meant for each other since birth.

"Of course I'll come and watch, Minseok." I reply, smiling, and Minseok brightens. "Thanks, Soo."

---

"Come on Sooyoung!" Minseok urgently whispers, and I run to him and we hide.

It's Valentine's day, and Minseok tells me that there's something going on and makes me hide with him at the corner of the theater.

"It's worth the watch, I promise." Minseok says cheerfully, and I wonder what's going on, until the lights dim down to total blackness. Then I hear shifting on the stage, and a dim silhouette moving around. Who was that?

Then, the door opens, and I see Yuri coming in. "Hello?" Yuri hesitantly calls out. She's a bit scared of the dark. "Yeol-ah? Where are you?"

Suddeny, I can hear soft guitar strumming in the darkness, and a deep, husky voice follows after as the theatre brightens to show Chanyeol grinning as he sits on a high chair with his guitar, a microphone stand just in front of him.

Hello angel 그림 같아
하늘을 보면 너만 보여
City street lights
불이 꺼지고 달이 사라져도
눈이 부신 건
하늘이 떨어뜨린 별
그게 바로 너니까

웃음이 나와 왠지 매일 밤
눈을 감아도 잠이 안 와
네 생각에 또 밤을 새 나
빛나는 네 미소가 숨쉬게 해 날
아마도 넌 넌
등 뒤에다 날개를 숨기며 지낼 걸
누가 봐도 넌 나만의 천사
너와 함께면 날아 갈 수 있어 나

너에게 저 하늘은
모든 것을 다 주고
나에게 이 세상은 너를 준 거야
내 곁에 너를 두고
하늘로 못 도망가게
너를 잡아둘래
너를 가둬둘래 널 안아줄게

Hello angel 그림 같아
하늘을 보면 너만 보여
City street lights
불이 꺼지고 달이 사라져도
눈이 부신 건
하늘이 떨어뜨린 별
그게 바로 너니까
그게 바로 너니까

She says 쉽게 쉽게
장난처럼 예쁘다는 말은 말아줘
이불처럼 좀 더 따듯하게 안아줘
처음처럼 변함없이 곁에 남아줘
I'll be 항상
상상 하던 너와 함께
영원할 수 있다면 나
뭐든지 할게
꿈이라면 절대 깨지 않길
And I just wanna know
너의 매일

너에게 저 하늘은
모든 것을 다 주고
나에게 이 세상은 너를 준 거야
네 맘 다치지 않게
절대 흠이 가지 않게
너를 지켜줄게
너를 위해 살게 약속할게

Hello angel 그림 같아
하늘을 보면 너만 보여
City street lights
불이 꺼지고 달이 사라져도
눈이 부신 건
하늘이 떨어뜨린 별
그게 바로 너니까

가장 화려한 천국의 보석도
이토록 눈부신
너보다는 못할 걸
멀어지지 말아줘
Baby won't you stay
언제까지 너만 사랑할게

Hello angel 그림 같아
하늘을 보면 너만 보여
City street lights
불이 꺼지고 달이 사라져도
눈이 부신 건
하늘이 떨어뜨린 별
그게 바로 너니까
그게 바로 너니까

 [ Heaven - EXO Lyrics ]

"I know you don't have the best memory for Valentines, Ri." Chanyeol says softly. "But I want to turn that into the best memory you can ever have.

In Yuri, will you go out with me?"

With those words, Yuri started crying and she slumped down on the spot she was listening to Chanyeol, and Chanyeol's face distorted into utter confusion, and I had to laugh, exposing Minseok and my location. Yuri didn't seem to hear us as she didn't look up.

I walked up to Chanyeol who looked confused in what to do. "It's because Yuri's been waiting for the words since 2 years ago... and she's never had a confession before. She thought she'd be solo till university." Chanyeol laugh and those words and mutter "cute" as he walks towards Yuri and hugs her.

"Jagi, don't cry." Chanyeol smiles and Yuri hugs him back. "Pabo..." She mutters and Chanyeol laughs and brushes her tears away with his thumbs. "Day 1?" He holds out his pinky finger, and Yuri manages a smile. "Day 1." and they interwine pinkys like as if they're making a promise. "Happy Valentine's Day, jagi."

If only I could make a promise like that too.

---

I look outside the window, idly letting my eyes fall upon anyone that moves within my sight. It was only the 3rd lesson and I already felt tired and wanting to go to sleep. I look at Seugi beside me, but all she was doing was looking at Kyungsoo from a distance, willing for him to catch her eye. I sigh, and look away and see Minseok appear, smiling.

"You seem a little bored, Soo." Minseok sits next to the empty seat beside me. "Surrounded by couples and feeling a little lonely aren't you?"

Man he was accurate. "I feel it too, don't worry." Minseok opens his bag to take out his geography textbook. "It's okay, at least we have each other don't we?"

...It would be much better if we were a couple too, Kim Minseok. But I'm too afraid to ask you out.

"Oh, I have an idea! Why don't we hang out afterschool?" Minseok's suggestion makes me feel better. I didn't want to go home, and hanging out with Minseok was undoubtedly one of my favorite pasttimes. "Sure." "I'm really glad that Chanyeol and Yuri don't take geography. Their history class will deal with them." I laugh at Minseok's remark. They would be absolutely disgusted if they started being lovey-dovey to each other. "I agree-"  Then the classroom suddenly falls silent, and I turn my head to see the teacher walking in silently, and Minseok's lips are zipped.

Great. Geography.

---------

The day finally ended and I was walking down to the shop next to our school with Minseok when I was attacked with a friendly bonk on the head.

"Where you heading off to Sooyoung?" I turn to see Yuri smiling, Chanyeol next to her who smiles at me in greeting.

"Away from you love puppies, giraffe." I mutter under my breath, but Yuri catches it. "Yah, I'm not the lovesick puppy, Yeol is." We both laugh as Chanyeol imitates being insulted and stabbed in the heart, and Yuri tussles Chanyeol's hair. "Come on, let's go get food and leave these two," Yuri winks at me, "alone." Seriously, Yuri? In front of Minseok? Yuri wiggles her eyebrows before she skips to the shop and Chanyeol follows her smiling.

"They look nice, don't they?" Minseok comments, and I nod wistfully. "Yeah.” “Don’t be too down, I’m sure you’ll find someone soon that’ll chase you.” Minseok says encouragingly with a smile. I’m glad he’s thinking that way, but he’s missing something. I want it to be him that’s chasing me.

Yuri and Chanyeol both burst out of the shop, Chanyeol holding a plastic bag in hand as they walked, Chanyeol's eyes not leaving Yuri for any second. They pass by us, and Yuri tussles my hair before she catches up with Chanyeol and Chanyeol wraps his arms around her shoulder, and I feel an arm wrap around my shoulders too, and I turn to see Minseok smiling at me.

"Let's not ruin our hangout because of them, arrasso?" I nod, trying hard not to get my heartbeat to ram against my ribcage and trying not to get any wrong ideas. He was only being friendly after all. "Arrasso, Minseok-ah." I smile, and Minseok ruffles my hair as we enter the shop.

After buying our snacks, we sit at the swings in the school playground, me with my ice cream and Minseok with chips. I kick softly at the ground, making the swing rock me gently and I smile as I remember my devotion for swings when I was a child.

"Soo, let's play truth or dare." Minseok suddenly suggests, and I agree, taking a small bite of the ice cream, savoring the chocolate flavour that spread inside my mouth.

"Rock, scissor, paper!" I spread my fingers out forming 'paper', but I find out that Minseok has formed a 'scissor'. Minseok smiles triumphantly. "Soo, truth or dare?"

"Mm... truth." I choose, and Minseok taps his chin with his finger in thought. "Since I already know you don't like anyone... what's your ideal type?"

Everything Minseok is. "Hmm, let's see..." I lookat Minseok, who tilts his head in question. "Cute, friendly, a little bit of a dork." Every time I say those words, I can see his face for some reason turning crestfallen. I shrug.

"Minseok, truth or dare." "Truth." "What's your ideal type?" Minseok stays silent for a while, then says, "Funny, caring, cute." 

...I am none of those.

"Soo, truth or dare." "Truth." "If a person that wasn't your ideal type confessed to you... would you accept?" I blink at the weird, oddly specfic question, then reply:

"It depends how close I am with them, I guess." Minseok smiles brightly at the reply, seeming to have cheered up.

What was on with him today?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was finally Minseok's football tournament. He was acting very distant from me for the past few days, but Yuri only said that it was because Minseok was practicing hard for his tournament, apparenty this one was a big, intensive match, the finals of a interschool game.

I took a seat at the audience seats of the stadium. I was early, so very few people were sitting and waiting for the game to start. I fished out my soda and took a sip.

"Sooyoung!" I look to my right to see Yuri waving at me, accompanied by Chanyeol who's holding a plastic bag. "Hey lovesick puppies." I smirk as I reply and Yuri gives me a deadpan face. "Really Soo?" "Yup." Yuri sighs dramatically, and Chanyeol chuckles a little. "Yeol why are you laughing?" Yuri faces Chanyeol with a pout, and Chanyeol kisses her forehead. "You're too cute, that's why." "Yah Park Chanyeol!" Chanyeol laughs tussling her hair and goes sit just behind me. Yuri sits beside Chanyeol and their conversation leaves my ears as I see Seulgi waving enthusiastically while Kyungsoo follows her, seeming to be grumbling under his breath.

"Soo!!" Seulgi wraps me into a bone-crushing hug and Kyungsoo waves hi to me awkwardly. "I'm dying." "Hi dying, I'm Yuri." I give her the deadpan face this time as Yuri laughs at her own lame dad jokes. "Stop, Yuri." "Nope." Yuri cheekily grins as she rests her head on Chanyeol's shoulder who looks at her lovingly.

Why do I have to be surrounded by couples today.

"Soo." This time, a gentle familiar voice calls me, and I look around to see Minseok coming towards me in his black-and-pink soccer jersey. Did I mention that he looks really hot in it, and the fact that you can see small lines of his abs under it?

"Aren't you supposed to be down there?" I point at the soccer field with my chin and Minseok smiles running his fingers through his hair. "In around 5 minutes, yeah." He then jerks his head towards the others. "But I didn't want to leave you alone with these couples until the tournament starts." Minseok sits next to me and puts his head onto my shoulders gently, making my heart pound. 

"I'm nervous." Minseok says in a quieter voice, and I smile encouragingly to him. "You have no reason to be." Minseok chuckles slightly. "Hopefully." Minseok sits straight and tussles my hair. "Watch me only, okay?"

Kim Minseok, you're the only person I care about on that field, of course.

I nod instead, and Minseok smiles. "Wish me good luck." He waves to everyone else and jogs back down to the soccer field. I've never been attracted to a sport tournament, but this tournament gets my heart racing, wanting Minseok's team to win. 

After a few painful moments of waiting, Minseok's team and the rival team take positions, and Minseok starts with the ball. Even from far away, I could see the glint of determination from his brown eyes.

TWWWWWWEEEEET!

The whistle blows, and at that moment Minseok dribbles the ball with his foot so fast, weaving through the rival team and kicking accurately right into the goalpost at the upper right hand corner. His skill, which I haven't known since now, makes my jaw drop. Yuri chuckles seeing the sight of me.

"You know he practices at least 3 hours a day?" I shake my head. Minseok always replied to my texts if I sent him one...

My eyes follow the competition. Seulgi's little brother Joongi steals the ball from the other team, and passes it to Minseok who manages to score with a long-distance shoot. I cheer, and Minseok looks at me and smiles as he is congratulated by others.

If he was this good...

why was he nervous?

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The tournament ends with no exception. Minseok's team squashes the rival team by 20 points, and they mannerfully shake each other's hands mumbling 'good game'. I cheer with the audience as Minseok, as soccer varsity captain, is awarded the trophy by the school principals. He is handed a microphone, and like as if he was in a international championship, he is asked for a comment.

 

"Well... I want to say thanks to my soccer team, for working so hard and being so dedicated to winning this game today."

Cheers erupt from his team members as they yell out simultaneously, "DUIZHANG!" earning laughs from the audience.

Minseok chuckles as well.

 

"But I'd like to mention someone, because without this one person in this stadium, I wouldn't have been able to be in this spot today, holding this trophy."

I blink.

Was it his coach?

s?

 

"She always encouraged me, never letting me give up on soccer with her stubborn attitude."

Minseok chuckles, and few of the audiences laugh, but my heart sinks.

A she?

"I made a promise with my friends that today, I'd ask her out."

Did this mean that I didn't have a chance with Minseok at all?

 

"Kim Sooyoung."

 

He turns to me, and looks directly into my eyes.

 

...Me?

 

"Will you go out with me?"