Lupines and Daisies

That One Step

It was that one step, that one tiny step. It was always that one step. Again, he stood behind her, his eyes failed to move away from her figure. She looked much younger although they were only months apart. She walked, her arms stretched to her side as she made her graceful yet humble strides through the flowers, her hair cascading side to side as she moved. He could hear her hummed a familiar tune which he had noticed, was her favorite of all. Although he thought she was a bit tone deaf, he liked it. Yes. He liked it. It sounded so natural to his ears now.

“Say, I think today is the perfect day,”

“I think so,” he just simply replied

It was their favorite spot, the meadow. The grass would be green throughout the whole year, the sky would always embrace them, the air would be chilly yet warm and the best part of it was that the meadow had her favorite flowers, Lupines and the Daisies. Here, they lied down side by side, admiring the clear blue sky, figuring out what the clouds looked like. There would be long stretches of silence but it was the natural, comfortable silence that both of them cherished. Sometimes, silence was their way of communicating. Being friends for nearly ten years, words were no longer needed. The silence says it all. The white daisy which she had been rolling among her fingers, slowly came to a stop, then he realized she had already fallen asleep. The lupines and daisies stopped swinging, as if they were syncing with her.

Again, he was one step late to tell her how beautiful she looked; that moment he swore she was almost like a goddess sent for him from heaven above.